2012 CTS-V or an AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by way2evil
Um, what the hell are you talking about? My old e63 was rock solid. The only problem with the transmission was fixed in about 3 hours. Please point out where my "all sorts of problems" are. And please point out where my constant whining about loaner cars is.

By the way for whoever said my V was a lemon: a lemon is when one car has so many problems that it differs from the majority of vehicles produced. In the case of the V they all havethe same problems mine did, most if not all of which GM STILL does not know how to fix.
Because you asked nicely here is a sampling :

https://mbworld.org/forums/3746579-post1.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...tuck-gear.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/3396709-post13.html

Okay, I might have gone a little overboard...but you saying that CTS-V owners are somehow "embarrassed" to admit it is a "POS" is a completely ludicrous statement.

Tom
Old 02-07-2011, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
I had a ctsv as well and to compare it to the interior of a Mercedes is just plain wrong. There is no comparison on fit and finish at all. Now mechanically I believe both have their own unique issues as do all cars in this league.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 E63, 07 RS4, 04 GT3, 10 LR4, 02 Pajero
The complaining about the C300 was more than a little pathetic.

On the flipside, he seemed okay about the reliability of his E63 though.

My thoughts on the new CTS V: really good job by GM. I wouldn't buy one myself but that's simply a matter of personal preference rather than a reflection of the car's abilities and I'd be more than happy to recommend a test drive to friends in the market for a super-sedan.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:35 PM

2004 SVT Cobra
By the way for whoever said my V was a lemon: a lemon is when one car has so many problems that it differs from the majority of vehicles produced. In the case of the V they all havethe same problems mine did, most if not all of which GM STILL does not know how to fix.
Mine doesn't (knocking wood ), so I guess they all don't have them.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:17 PM

1989 Toyota Tercel Coupé
Originally Posted by gnxs
Mine doesn't (knocking wood ), so I guess they all don't have them.
Go read the cadillac forums. With any hope GM fixed the problems after 09. To this day they still dont know how to fix the wheel clicking though so they decided to give people two new rims.

Originally Posted by TMC M5
Because you asked nicely here is a sampling :

https://mbworld.org/forums/3746579-post1.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...tuck-gear.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/3396709-post13.html

Okay, I might have gone a little overboard...but you saying that CTS-V owners are somehow "embarrassed" to admit it is a "POS" is a completely ludicrous statement.

Tom
I dont see constant whining about my transmission not working.

Right, so you linked to the thread I already spoke about earlier. Yes, the c300 they gave me was a piece of crap. The first one had no AC, the second one had a bent rim. You tell me, what do you think?

Originally Posted by Nstar
The complaining about the C300 was more than a little pathetic.

On the flipside, he seemed okay about the reliability of his E63 though.

My thoughts on the new CTS V: really good job by GM. I wouldn't buy one myself but that's simply a matter of personal preference rather than a reflection of the car's abilities and I'd be more than happy to recommend a test drive to friends in the market for a super-sedan.
Pathetic? Excuse me for expecting a decent car that has AC and 4 rims.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:20 PM

2007 E63, 2006 C55
RE: CTS-V

I had an 09 CTS-V for a year. Used to be a Corvette guy, owned 6 of them over 15 years, so wanted to give GM another chance when the 2nd gen V hit, 556 hp certainly sounded impressive.

It was fast, handled nicely, the NAV and electronics were very good.

But after a year and about 4000 miles, it had a developed such a list of quality issues that I sold it. Too lengthly to mention here, but suffice it to say I never looked back or missed that car for 5 minutes. Worst GM quality I experienced in a long time.

If you get a CTS-V, be sure you have a good dealer, located close by, who puts emphasis on service as you will go there frequently.

Last edited by NCE500; 02-07-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:23 PM

1989 Toyota Tercel Coupé
Just want to add I think the V is an awesome looking car too. The guy above me lists the same thing I hated about mine, except I had more miles until it fell apart.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:05 PM

Slow
Let me tell you how I feel about my CTS-V......... I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can I compare it to the E63 I had, no of course the craftsmanship of the Merc was great....But my CTS-V is manufactured very well, maybe some people got a bad product it happens with all cars.

Some one mentioned depreciation they need to look at how the AMGs drop in price the E63 was $96,000 in 2007 I was lucky I got $36,000 for trade in thats a big drop for a car thats was barely 4 years old.

Get what you want, I did, and I'm happy with it.. My only complaint is Cadillac forum sucks
Old 02-08-2011, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Go read the cadillac forums. With any hope GM fixed the problems after 09. To this day they still dont know how to fix the wheel clicking though so they decided to give people two new rims.

I dont see constant whining about my transmission not working.

Right, so you linked to the thread I already spoke about earlier. Yes, the c300 they gave me was a piece of crap. The first one had no AC, the second one had a bent rim. You tell me, what do you think?

Pathetic? Excuse me for expecting a decent car that has AC and 4 rims.

Well, just look around here at mbworld and see how many threads there are about people complaining about MB/AMG quality. A lot of times these online forums are a conduit for people to vent or try to get information when something goes wrong. So it can actually make some problems appear to be more prevalent than what they really are in actuality. No car is perfect and I can go through a bunch of issues I had with my CL65 which had an MSRP of $185+K does that mean it was a POS? No, not at all, all cars have quirks, especially high performance ones.

If you read my response, I say that I may have gone a little overboard.

Blaming a C300 for having some stuff wrong with the rims is actually putting the blame in the wrong place. The dealership should be the one you should be mad at for allowing it out as a loaner with this problem. Calling it a POS is ridiculous....I guess by that standard, my CL65 was a POS because it had numerous bends in the rims and two of them actually cracked. You probably wouldn't call the CL65 a POS because it is a "status" car... but a C300 is a POS because it is "beneath" what you are accustomed to...

Tom
Old 02-08-2011, 12:19 PM

2004 SVT Cobra
Well, just look around here at mbworld and see how many threads there are about people complaining about MB/AMG quality. A lot of times these online forums are a conduit for people to vent or try to get information when something goes wrong. So it can actually make some problems appear to be more prevalent than what they really are in actuality.

Two things you can pretty much guarantee you'll run across on automotive forums: 1) fanboi's where their marque can do no wrong, 2) A vocal minority that lists in intensive detail every little issue they've ever run across with their cars.

I could spend 15 minutes on any forum and come up with numerous threads about various issues with any car, even many costing well above $100k. No doubt there are various issues with the CTS-V that a fair number of owners have experienced, how much better or worse they are compared to some of their competition's problems I have no idea.

What does some of the quality survey companies recent data show?
Old 02-08-2011, 12:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Formerly: 2007 e63; 2012 GL450

Two things you can pretty much guarantee you'll run across on automotive forums: 1) fanboi's where their marque can do no wrong, 2) A vocal minority that lists in intensive detail every little issue they've ever run across with their cars.
+1.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:45 PM

1989 Toyota Tercel Coupé
Well, just look around here at mbworld and see how many threads there are about people complaining about MB/AMG quality. A lot of times these online forums are a conduit for people to vent or try to get information when something goes wrong. So it can actually make some problems appear to be more prevalent than what they really are in actuality. No car is perfect and I can go through a bunch of issues I had with my CL65 which had an MSRP of $185+K does that mean it was a POS? No, not at all, all cars have quirks, especially high performance ones.

If you read my response, I say that I may have gone a little overboard.

Blaming a C300 for having some stuff wrong with the rims is actually putting the blame in the wrong place. The dealership should be the one you should be mad at for allowing it out as a loaner with this problem. Calling it a POS is ridiculous....I guess by that standard, my CL65 was a POS because it had numerous bends in the rims and two of them actually cracked. You probably wouldn't call the CL65 a POS because it is a "status" car... but a C300 is a POS because it is "beneath" what you are accustomed to...

Tom
I dont see where I said it was Mercedes fault the car I was given was a POS. Calling it a POS is NOT pathetic at all, it had no AC. I would say the patchetic part was them giving me that car in the first place.

And where do you keep getting this "status" bull**** from? Beneath what I am accustomed to? Maybe its you with the status problem, not I. I know you ran into a bunch of problems with you CL, but did the majority of owners have the same problems as you did? Thats the difference between GM and MB. MB will make a few bad cars out of the bunch. GM will make a bunch of bad cars where the majority of owners have the same issues.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I could spend 15 minutes on any forum and come up with numerous threads about various issues with any car, even many costing well above $100k. No doubt there are various issues with the CTS-V that a fair number of owners have experienced, how much better or worse they are compared to some of their competition's problems I have no idea.

What does some of the quality survey companies recent data show?
+1 million
Old 02-08-2011, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
I dont see where I said it was Mercedes fault the car I was given was a POS. Calling it a POS is NOT pathetic at all, it had no AC. I would say the patchetic part was them giving me that car in the first place.

And where do you keep getting this "status" bull**** from? Beneath what I am accustomed to? Maybe its you with the status problem, not I. I know you ran into a bunch of problems with you CL, but did the majority of owners have the same problems as you did? Thats the difference between GM and MB. MB will make a few bad cars out of the bunch. GM will make a bunch of bad cars where the majority of owners have the same issues.
No...CL's don't have any problems... mine was just an anomaly....

Seriously go google "Mercedes CL ABC problem" and see how many hits come up. Not looking to bash my CL65, MB or AMG. I am just pointing out that no car/brand is immune to quality issues.

Tom
Old 02-08-2011, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Seriously go google "Mercedes CL ABC problem" and see how many hits come up. Not looking to bash my CL65, MB or AMG. I am just pointing out that no car/brand is immune to quality issues.

Tom
Seriously, I had a Lexus GX470 that had the rear window motor go out three times and they said "ah, Lexus's are known for that". They fixed it and it was done. I don't know a car that does not have some known issues. Its just some are more expensive to fix which goes back to the kids buying these cars these days because they are cheap. They still cost Mercedes AMG money to fix!
Old 02-08-2011, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Haters crazy
cts-v is a sick car, gwop load of power but personally prefer AMG
Old 02-08-2011, 02:37 PM

And where do you keep getting this "status" bull**** from? Beneath what I am accustomed to?
You never mentioned bent rims or non-working AC. The tone of the posts which Tom linked strongly suggested that you considered the car a "pos" and "beater" as it was an entry level MB (which is pathetic if accurate) and your recent comments are more of a cover story to disguise that. Maybe we both read it wrong and that's not what you meant but it sure is what you wrote and that can be seen by anyone and everyone who reads it.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:43 PM

1989 Toyota Tercel Coupé

Tom
I didnt say they were. I was defending my point that the majority of V's have the same issues mine had.

Originally Posted by Nstar
You never mentioned bent rims or non-working AC. The tone of the posts which Tom linked strongly suggested that you considered the car a "pos" and "beater" as it was an entry level MB (which is pathetic if accurate) and your recent comments are more of a cover story to disguise that. Maybe we both read it wrong and that's not what you meant but it sure is what you wrote and that can be seen by anyone and everyone who reads it.
I left the posts for everyone to see. Going into detail about the loaners was unnecessary.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
good discussion going on...

Youtube is filled with the CTS-V (2G) is "god's car" and it's the fastest production sedan in the world.. ect.. ect.

AMG, RS, and M will always be the more expensive brand and the ones GM, Infitini, Ford will go after to reduce market share.

CTS-V (2G) is a success for that reason. Those that can afford a 60k car, don't need to spend $100k on the AMG, RS or M vehicle.

Maybe the coupe and wagon will have a better build quality and bugs fixed.

But give CTS-V (2G) credit, its a good over-all sport sedan.

AMG- Power, style and class
RS- Interior is the best, AWD grip, bland exterior
M- Handling and Braking, driving dynamics, love or hate it stylin
CTS-V - Best Value
Old 02-08-2011, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350

Tom
No kidding. ABC is a pain. It cost me a fortune fixing all the ABC problems on the CL.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:25 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by justthebest
Ok, just saw this recently, and I wanted some opinions in case I'm not thinking straight. For 2012, Caddy is offering a nifty edition of the CTS-V that looks awesome to me. I'd go with the automatic trans, since the manual sports car I have now is awesome, but it's harder than sin to eat a burger while driving. Couple questions -

1) Anyone have experience with newer Cadillac tech? How's the GPS compared to Command / Sync?

2) Is it sacrilege to get an automatic in a car with +550 hp?

3) Any other comments?

TIA.

Its a more capable car all the way around but it looks like pure ***.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Rust bucket
Its a more capable car all the way around but it looks like pure ***.
Not saying you're crazy or anything since everyone has their own opinion...but I find the V insanely beautiful...yet you find it insanely ugly...I just find it funny how different peoples taste can be...lol.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by GT-ER
Not saying you're crazy or anything since everyone has their own opinion...but I find the V insanely beautiful...yet you find it insanely ugly...I just find it funny how different peoples taste can be...lol.
The sedan looks pretty darn good but I'd not be able to look the new "sportcoupe" in my driveway or whatever that hatchback thing is called. Very bulbous and ugly to my eyes, though some may like it.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by GT-ER
The interior is amazing and the performance is undeniable but i cant drive a car that i cant stand looking at. I also think the GTR and Gallardo are ugly too thus why i dont have either LOL. Im still strongly consdering the GTR time will tell
Old 02-10-2011, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
The CTSV is everything the AMG E Klass couldn't be! And almost everything that an M5 has always been!

Simple.