2012 CTS-V or an AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 SL Black, '12 ML63, '13 SL63, '14 E63 Wagon, '14 458 Italia
2012 CTS-V or an AMG?

Ok, just saw this recently, and I wanted some opinions in case I'm not thinking straight. For 2012, Caddy is offering a nifty edition of the CTS-V that looks awesome to me. I'd go with the automatic trans, since the manual sports car I have now is awesome, but it's harder than sin to eat a burger while driving. Couple questions -

1) Anyone have experience with newer Cadillac tech? How's the GPS compared to Command / Sync?

2) Is it sacrilege to get an automatic in a car with +550 hp?

3) Any other comments?

TIA.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG
Interior looks nice, but will it stay together? That seems to be the downfall of the cadi.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by snail45
Interior looks nice, but will it stay together? That seems to be the downfall of the cadi.
I dont know about that...if anything the new caddy has put them on the map.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E55 AMG
New CTS-V's are awesome cars. Cadi really stepped up this time. It's worth the money.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Um, the torque that SC Cadi has you could drive around in 3rd gear and eat big Macs all day, but auto is the only way to go.
The boys at Lingenfelter and Hennessy have these things up around 700 RWHP now.
I don't see the new AMG 63 (55TT) reaching that level for at least 2 years.
Have you seen the "Ring" times for the CTSV?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I'd take the caddy in a heart beat...sweetest car from Cadillac EVAR!!
Old 02-06-2011, 09:29 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by V12Godspeed
I dont know about that...if anything the new caddy has put them on the map.
Thats what I am wondering. GM's interior has held up like crap as of late. Hope it is better now.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:44 PM

05 GTO, adding Kompressor soon ??!!!
CTS-V is an awesome car. Be advised it's the size of a C-class in the back seat
Old 02-06-2011, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
Love the performance of the car, hate every bit of the styling. I'd rather have a new M5 than the caddy or any AMG they are slamming the new 5.5TT in right now if we were talking this size sedan class.

Personally I want a new C63 wagon with that new tranny
Old 02-06-2011, 10:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 CL600
Thats what I am wondering. GM's interior has held up like crap as of late. Hope it is better now.
Aye, reports are already in, from alot of sources, do some web searches and you will find them. Here is the bottom line on both the CTS-V and ZR1:
Drivetrain: Amazing
Interior: Typical GM which means GMs favorite three passengers are in your car...buzz, click and whirrr are present in all their glory.

I am personally happy to see GM building much higher quality cars these days, as I haven't bought a new GM car in over 15 years due to lackluster, well, everything. They figured out the engine/tranny/rear end combo,exterior styling isn't bad, quality of steel is good throughout, but all of their interiors are pretty low rent. If they get those fixed, they will be interesting again. They lost so much market share in the late 80s to early 2000s that alot of folks shied away from them, like most of our car manufacturers they just weren't building quality products during that period and we all know where that got them. I hope they continue the current path, because it will help our country out significantly as well
Old 02-06-2011, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
I think they are sharp and I would deffinetly get the auto.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
E63S
Oh wow, that interior is real nice. Any idea whether that screen opens up more?
I think the coupe is butt ugly, they overdid it with the rear, the sedan though with some exterior mods could look nice. Whats the price for a loaded 2012 anyway?
Old 02-06-2011, 11:28 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by 400RWHP
Aye, reports are already in, from alot of sources, do some web searches and you will find them. Here is the bottom line on both the CTS-V and ZR1:
Drivetrain: Amazing
Interior: Typical GM which means GMs favorite three passengers are in your car...buzz, click and whirrr are present in all their glory.

I am personally happy to see GM building much higher quality cars these days, as I haven't bought a new GM car in over 15 years due to lackluster, well, everything. They figured out the engine/tranny/rear end combo,exterior styling isn't bad, quality of steel is good throughout, but all of their interiors are pretty low rent. If they get those fixed, they will be interesting again. They lost so much market share in the late 80s to early 2000s that alot of folks shied away from them, like most of our car manufacturers they just weren't building quality products during that period and we all know where that got them. I hope they continue the current path, because it will help our country out significantly as well
And..... you just agreed with me on the interior.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST
Originally Posted by E55Dimon
Oh wow, that interior is real nice. Any idea whether that screen opens up more?
I think the coupe is butt ugly, they overdid it with the rear, the sedan though with some exterior mods could look nice. Whats the price for a loaded 2012 anyway?
The screen slides up to aobut double that size. I think that's one of the coolest things in the world.

And I agree withe you 100%, coupe is ugly, but the sedan is beautiful.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 CL600
And..... you just agreed with me on the interior.
Totally agreed
Old 02-07-2011, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 SL Black, '12 ML63, '13 SL63, '14 E63 Wagon, '14 458 Italia
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Have you seen the "Ring" times for the CTSV?
Yes - definitely one of the most impressive sedans in this tier of vehicle

Originally Posted by SPDMETL
CTS-V is an awesome car. Be advised it's the size of a C-class in the back seat
Thanks - good to know. I'm going to track one down for a test drive this week

Originally Posted by tgoss
...Personally I want a new C63 wagon with that new tranny
Ok... GRANDMA. Hahaha

Originally Posted by 400RWHP
...Interior: Typical GM which means GMs favorite three passengers are in your car...buzz, click and whirrr are present in all their glory.
Definitely my main concern. That said, getting out of a Merc into a Shelby (read: Ford) was not a hugely shocking experience for me - no rattles / etc., but the trim level is definitely different. I'm hoping a Caddy will be significantly closer to Merc quality / finishes.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:45 AM

05 GTO, adding Kompressor soon ??!!!
At the local International Auto Show there were 2 CTS-V's sitting side by side...both Flame Red; a coupe and a sedan. I stood there and stared for quite awhile. The coupe started looking better the longer I looked. The wagon looks pretty good as well.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Formerly: 2007 e63; 2012 GL450
Very cool interior shots.

I considered a CTS-V several months ago before buying my e63.

The car certainly has very impressive performance numbers, etc.

For me, I wasnt wild about the coupe (I need 4 doors for the kids), and the "pano" roof on the sedan was compeltely unappealing - it has a flimsy fabric screen that looked like sh*t. They dont make many sedans without the option, either.

I also wasnt wild about the wheels/rims, and honestly, the car doesnt look any different to me than the garden variety 6 cylinder variant.

All subjective, I know. I certainly wouldnt chastise anyone for owning one, but for me, it wasnt the answer.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:53 AM

2010 Silverado, 03 H2, 66 Nova SS, 03 E55
Great performance.... but it's a caddy.

The performace specs and the looks of exterior and interior are impressive.......BUT, I just sold my Caddy about 7 months ago and I would have to say versus a german car like an MB, The Caddy will look good on the outside and run good for a long time, but the interior way too quickly gets that worn out used car feel. Rattles, Rattles, Rattls, Loose seat rails, a BBWWONGGGGG sound when you close the door. Windows motors and door locks going out prematurely.

And worst of all car will depreciate worse than a "gold" necklace purchased in a Mexico border-town.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Originally Posted by randallaguirre
The performace specs and the looks of exterior and interior are impressive.......BUT, I just sold my Caddy about 7 months ago and I would have to say versus a german car like an MB, The Caddy will look good on the outside and run good for a long time, but the interior way too quickly gets that worn out used car feel. Rattles, Rattles, Rattls, Loose seat rails, a BBWWONGGGGG sound when you close the door. Windows motors and door locks going out prematurely.

And worst of all car will depreciate worse than a "gold" necklace purchased in a Mexico border-town.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5

My old CL65 had depreciated 63% within 2 1/2 years of its original price when I purchased it (I was the second owner). When I sold the car 2 years later, it had depreciated down 80% from its original MSRP...which was nearly $150K in real dollars.

2006 V1's (CTS-V 1st generation) are still going for $20K+ (every used '06 CTS-V currently on autotrader is asking $20K+, most in the mid to high 20's) and original MSRP of $50K, so that is between 50% to 60% depreciation over 5 years. Which isn't too bad when compared to AMG and BMW M depreciation.

Tom
Old 02-07-2011, 10:53 AM

1989 Toyota Tercel Coupé
Anyone who says the CTSV is a great car has never owned one. Those that say it is great and do own one are too embarrassed to admit what a POS it truly is.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:00 AM

2004 SVT Cobra
.....And worst of all car will depreciate worse than a "gold" necklace purchased in a Mexico border-town.
That's not been the case thus far with the latest generation "V" cars. Not to mention AMG cars aren't exactly setting a standard for resale value.

I've got almost 50,000 miles, about 60 passes at the track and drive my "V" all year long (thru Chicago Winters) and I don't have any squeaks, rattles, etc. There are many of them that are tight as a drum, but there also seems to be enough people posting about interior noises to say that it's not merely some people just being picky. There's a very real chance you could get a "V" with those issues. There are also other minor quality related issues that you might run across with the "V", but nothing major. However, I see many posts about quality based issues on people's AMG's posted in these forums also, not sure how they compare to what the Caddy guys are seeing (better or worse).

Originally Posted by way2evil
Anyone who says the CTSV is a great car has never owned one. Those that say it is great and do own one are too embarrassed to admit what a POS it truly is.
Guess I've just been lucky with mine (and it was a dealer demo car to boot). I've seen many of your posts about the "V" and you look to have really been stuck with a complete "lemon". Mine also came with the "saffron" interior pictured in the first post above. Given a choice I would have opted for the plain "ebony" interior, but the deal was too good to pass up on it. Perhaps because this car was a step up from the type of cars I've traditionally owned I may have a bit more tolerance to certain things than people coming from 6 figure luxury cars.

Last edited by gnxs; 02-07-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by gnxs
That's not been the case thus far with the latest generation "V" cars. Not to mention AMG cars aren't exactly setting a standard for resale value.

I've got almost 50,000 miles, about 60 passes at the track and drive my "V" all year long (thru Chicago Winters) and I don't have any squeaks, rattles, etc. There are many of them that are tight as a drum, but there also seems to be enough people posting about interior noises to say that it's not merely some people just being picky. There's a very real chance you could get a "V" with those issues. There are also other minor quality related issues that you might run across with the "V", but nothing major. However, I see many posts about quality based issues on people's AMG's posted in these forums also, not sure how they compare to what the Caddy guys are seeing (better or worse).

Guess I've just been lucky with mine (and it was a dealer demo car to boot). I've seen many of your posts about the "V" and you look to have really been stuck with a complete "lemon". Mine also came with the "saffron" interior pictured in the first post above. Given a choice I would have opted for the plain "ebony" interior, but the deal was too good to pass up on it. Perhaps because this car was a step up from the type of cars I've traditionally owned I may have a bit more tolerance to certain things than people coming from 6 figure luxury cars.
I don't think that is it at all. I have read through this clowns posts for the past few years. He had all sorts of problems with his old E63's transmission. He seems to be a brand ***** who whined like a little girl about getting POS loaner cars from MB because the C300s don't have the status he is accustomed to...

Anyway, I have owned a CL65, Audi RS6, BMW M5 and GT-R....and I absolutely love the CTS-V. Yes, the interior materials could use some more luxurious materials, but overall it is a GREAT car and I would put the driving satisfaction and sport/comfort versatility up there with any of my other cars.

Tom
Old 02-07-2011, 11:58 AM

1989 Toyota Tercel Coupé
Originally Posted by TMC M5
I don't think that is it at all. I have read through this clowns posts for the past few years. He had all sorts of problems with his old E63's transmission. He seems to be a brand ***** who whined like a little girl about getting POS loaner cars from MB because the C300s don't have the status he is accustomed to...

Anyway, I have owned a CL65, Audi RS6, BMW M5 and GT-R....and I absolutely love the CTS-V. Yes, the interior materials could use some more luxurious materials, but overall it is a GREAT car and I would put the driving satisfaction and sport/comfort versatility up there with any of my other cars.

Tom
Um, what the hell are you talking about? My old e63 was rock solid. The only problem with the transmission was fixed in about 3 hours. Please point out where my "all sorts of problems" are. And please point out where my constant whining about loaner cars is.

By the way for whoever said my V was a lemon: a lemon is when one car has so many problems that it differs from the majority of vehicles produced. In the case of the V they all havethe same problems mine did, most if not all of which GM STILL does not know how to fix.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2012 CTS-V or an AMG?