W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E55 Sound System Build Thread - Christmas Time!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 01:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 E55 AMG, 03 350z Track Built/Single Turbo
That's crazy. Looks like you're turning it into an audio show car or something. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Thankfully, the factory HK sound system is good enough for me. (+bluetooth puck)
Old 03-17-2011, 06:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML63
I thought you were going to go with the Dynavin unit? And now something different.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viper SRT-10, 68 Camaro
Originally Posted by Roverron
I thought you were going to go with the Dynavin unit? And now something different.
Am using the dynavin unit for the moment. Will probably upgrade to a better unit once the newest kenwood unit comes out!
Old 03-17-2011, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG
I wish I could upgrade the stock harmon/kardon... just dont have the money and time to do it
Old 03-18-2011, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Yes, all I listen to is Area 38, A&B is epic, and they are coming to Atlanta in June. Can't wait, then out to Red Rocks for the Global Dance festival in Tal's neck of the woods.

I did not realize this, but my sub hits so hard that it rattled loose the screws holding my tag to the car. Lucky for me that I stuck that sucker on with 3M double sided tape when I installed it or I would have lost my tag

BIG sound FTW!!!
Old 03-18-2011, 11:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 E63S 4Matic
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
Yes, all I listen to is Area 38, A&B is epic, and they are coming to Atlanta in June. Can't wait, then out to Red Rocks for the Global Dance festival in Tal's neck of the woods.

I did not realize this, but my sub hits so hard that it rattled loose the screws holding my tag to the car. Lucky for me that I stuck that sucker on with 3M double sided tape when I installed it or I would have lost my tag

BIG sound FTW!!!
I had a Lexus SC400 in the early 2000s and had 2 12's in the trunk. Turned out that the trunk was too small or something, and I ruined the weather stripping around my rear window...twice. I guess that the speakers just vibrated it repeatedly and wore down the weather stripping. Since then, no more audio work for me. It was fun, though, being able to set off car alarms with something other than my exhaust.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:39 PM

Viper SRT-10, 68 Camaro

BIG sound FTW!!!
That's awesome man! Yeah I went down and saw them in Austin a couple weeks ago, great show! I wish they did more of there older balearic trance stuff, but was still a great time! What is global dance festival and where is it? I am supposed to be heading down to Miami next weekend for Ultra music festival, but I don't know if I am going to be able to swing it.

Haha!! That's hilarious! Those alphasonik subs are ridiculous, I can only imagine what it sounds like in your car!! You got lucky you taped that plate on there!!

Originally Posted by BenzoDoc
I had a Lexus SC400 in the early 2000s and had 2 12's in the trunk. Turned out that the trunk was too small or something, and I ruined the weather stripping around my rear window...twice. I guess that the speakers just vibrated it repeatedly and wore down the weather stripping. Since then, no more audio work for me. It was fun, though, being able to set off car alarms with something other than my exhaust.
Haha that's ridiculous Michael! How did you find out? Was the window rattling or something? I bet you were like 'thats weird' when it happened the first time but then like 'dammit!!' when it happened again!
Old 03-18-2011, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
It is at Red Rocks in Denver Colorado this July. You could google it, 3 day festival in one of the most beautiful places in the country. Tons of top notch DJ's playing and there will be thousands of people there.

Here is a pic before the sun went down and the real partying began There is the same rock formation on the side from where the pic is taken, so it is an amphitheatre settings, with the sound vibrating and echoing all throughout that place. They bring in LARGE sound systems to say the least. TGOSS has been and he can attest to how good it is. Should make it out if you can bud!!!

Originally Posted by abrim
That's awesome man! Yeah I went down and saw them in Austin a couple weeks ago, great show! I wish they did more of there older balearic trance stuff, but was still a great time! What is global dance festival and where is it? I am supposed to be heading down to Miami next weekend for Ultra music festival, but I don't know if I am going to be able to swing it.

Haha!! That's hilarious! Those alphasonik subs are ridiculous, I can only imagine what it sounds like in your car!! You got lucky you taped that plate on there!!

Haha that's ridiculous Michael! How did you find out? Was the window rattling or something? I bet you were like 'thats weird' when it happened the first time but then like 'dammit!!' when it happened again!

Last edited by chawkins2001; 03-18-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:45 PM

2015 E63S 4Matic

My car started smelling like mildew in the back seats. I pulled the back seats up and there were pools of water under the buckets. Water was pouring in every time it rained ... This happened twice lol. Then I sold the subs.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:58 PM

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
E63s s213 2019 ,SOLD E63 Weistec, E55, C36
Insane build, keep the updates coming, i have still got my 2 x rockford HX2 powers sitting in m garage with my soundstream ref 1000 (x2) amps from my last car.... maybe they need to go into the 55 at some point.

glad you doing it all properly with the deadening also.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:20 PM

Viper SRT-10, 68 Camaro
It is at Red Rocks in Denver Colorado this July. You could google it, 3 day festival in one of the most beautiful places in the country. Tons of top notch DJ's playing and there will be thousands of people there.

Here is a pic before the sun went down and the real partying began There is the same rock formation on the side from where the pic is taken, so it is an amphitheatre settings, with the sound vibrating and echoing all throughout that place. They bring in LARGE sound systems to say the least. TGOSS has been and he can attest to how good it is. Should make it out if you can bud!!!

That looks absolutely awesome! Looks quite a bit like Sedona in that picture actually! I am going to try my hardest to make it out to this, that would be incredible! Would probably drive the e55 up there also (I HATE flying)

EDIT: Just looked this up online and HOLY SH*T. I am 100% going to be there! That looks phenomenal and the lineup is incredible! sold!

My car started smelling like mildew in the back seats. I pulled the back seats up and there were pools of water under the buckets. Water was pouring in every time it rained ... This happened twice lol. Then I sold the subs.
Haha are you kidding me? That's ridiculous!!! I bet you were pissedddd! Haha *subs for sale, like new condition, ignore the smell of mildew* haha

Originally Posted by Alps
Insane build, keep the updates coming, i have still got my 2 x rockford HX2 powers sitting in m garage with my soundstream ref 1000 (x2) amps from my last car.... maybe they need to go into the 55 at some point.

glad you doing it all properly with the deadening also.
You should def put them in the 55! Just about to post some more pics.

Yeah the deadening is extensive to say the least. We are putting 170lbs of the stuff in!!

Last edited by abrim; 03-18-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
That looks absolutely awesome! Looks quite a bit like Sedona in that picture actually! I am going to try my hardest to make it out to this, that would be incredible! Would probably drive the e55 up there also (I HATE flying)

EDIT: Just looked this up online and HOLY SH*T. I am 100% going to be there! That looks phenomenal and the lineup is incredible! sold!

Haha are you kidding me? That's ridiculous!!! I bet you were pissedddd! Haha *subs for sale, like new condition, ignore the smell of mildew* haha

You should def put them in the 55! Just about to post some more pics.

Yeah the deadening is extensive to say the least. We are putting 170lbs of the stuff in!!
You are the man, let TGOSS know. We can get an AMG contingency going You will not be disappointed bro, it is full of WIN, and I am going on the Friday and Saturday night
Old 03-18-2011, 03:52 PM

Viper SRT-10, 68 Camaro
Update - Went into the shop today to see how everything was coming along, they should have all of the deadening finished by the end of the day which is great news!

We are using a few different types of deadening material around the car.

Firstly we are completely covering everything in the car in RoadKill, not one surface will be untouched by this. The trunk and high noise volume areas (transmission tunnel, wheel wells, kicks etc) will be getting multiple layers of this very dense material.

We are then using Black Hole tile in the doors to really stop vibration. It has 5 different components to this tile and completely deadens the door. It is 1.5 inches thick, and has incredible absorption properties. We are also using this in the trunk as we are running an infinite baffle setup on the subwoofers, so we need to make sure that the trunk is as sealed as possible!

Then also on the doors we will be using Cascade deflex pads behind the midbass drivers to stop those frequencies reverberating around behind the speaker, and this will provide a better midbass response.

We will also be using carpet tile under the carpet and on top of the roadkill that has been installed on the floor. This will further help to cut out road noise and quieten the cabin significantly.

All of these products add up to a staggering 170lbs of deadening material!! The good thing is that it will be spread pretty evenly around the car so it won't be all of that weight in one area.

Here are the pics of the completely stripped interior and more deadening. I am hoping to have pictures tonight of the entire interior completely deadened. You can see the difference between the picture of the door before and after. By knocking with your fist on an un-treated and treated door the difference is amazing! It literally sounds like you are knocking on a sheet of metal compared to knocking on a marshmellow!

Old 03-18-2011, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
TGOSS has been and he can attest to how good it is.
True story.

Nice update! It's gonna be coffin quiet in the beast!

Last edited by tgoss; 03-18-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:30 PM

Viper SRT-10, 68 Camaro
You are the man, let TGOSS know. We can get an AMG contingency going You will not be disappointed bro, it is full of WIN, and I am going on the Friday and Saturday night
Sounds like a plan! What's the closest city / town to the festival? I want to make sure I can book some decent accommodation before it sells out! Sounds good I'll prob go there for the thursday as well. I'm excited about this already and it's still like 3 months away haha

Originally Posted by tgoss
True story.

Nice update! It's gonna be coffin quiet in the beast!
Was it last year you went there? I like how it only has one stage, I can't stand it at music festivals where there are 5 or 6 stages because my luck always has the people I want to see all playing at the same time on different stages!!

Haha I know, its going to make a Rolls Royce seem like a subway tunnel!
Old 03-18-2011, 05:51 PM

Viper SRT-10, 68 Camaro
Update - Every square inch of the interior metal is covered in Roadkill

This is just copy and pasted from what my installer sent to me, so I'm not actually talking in the third person haha:

The doors get 3 layers of sound deadening.

First layer is to cover the outer door skin from the inside. The Roadkill stops panel vibration, quiets the overall ride and interior, and offers a thermal shield to insulate the interior further.

Then the outer door skin is fitted with Blackhole Tile. This is a 5-layer sound insulator (about 2-3" thick) that completely deadens the interior of the car. The noise floor in the cabin will be almost non-existant, which dramatically improves the gain and clarity of your audio system and makes for a really quiet ride.

The Tile can be placed in a checkerboard pattern, but in Andy's car it was done "full coverage" wherever possible. This is strictly baller **** and probably not even necessary, but he wanted the car deader than Charlie Sheen's career, so we went overboard with it.

Pic inside the speaker hole of the driver door. Tile installtion still in progress on this door.

The final layer is to do another layer of Roadkill on the inner door skin, under the door panel. At this point the door is so dead that knocking on it is just plain odd sounding. It sounds like the door is filled with sand or something, it's just a "thud" when you knock on it.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG
wish i could knock on it to see. looks like whatever you do in the backseat wont be heard outside...
Old 03-18-2011, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 Armada
Those doors need more deadener LOL. I do everything over the top. My doors have a very flat thud to them. LOL!!! Make sure he deadens the heck out of that rear deck. Especially with the subs going up there. Trust me on this one.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:05 PM

Viper SRT-10, 68 Camaro
Originally Posted by 03'55AMG
wish i could knock on it to see. looks like whatever you do in the backseat wont be heard outside...
It really does sound totally different. I tried to take a video on my iphone but it doesn't demonstrate the sound adequately enough to even bother posting it up lol. Haha now all i need is some 5% tint haha

Originally Posted by jayhawkblk
Those doors need more deadener LOL. I do everything over the top. My doors have a very flat thud to them. LOL!!! Make sure he deadens the heck out of that rear deck. Especially with the subs going up there. Trust me on this one.
Haha! I'm exactly the same way, I like to do everything over the top as well, I'd rather do too much to begin with than not enough and have to redo it. What deadening material did you use, all the different cascade products?

Yeah the rear deck is going to be completely covered both sides and probably have some black hole or something to absorb the vibrations. I bet the esotar 1200s make a pretty good amount of vibration from back there! What material did you use on yours? Also what was the wood that you used to make yours again and how thick was it? I have the pictures you sent me and it looks awesome! It's exactly what I am trying to achieve!
Old 03-18-2011, 08:39 PM

2012 Armada
I only use cascade in my cars. The baffle is about 3 1/2" thick. It is made of Baltic burch and mdf. My new baffle is mdf fiberglass and polished aluminum.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:55 AM

2015 E63S 4Matic
+1 about deadening the rear deck.

Also, I hope you have a good HVAC guy in Dallas...my AC started ticking annoyingly today. Hopefully an interior sound nuisance won't ruin all of your work.

Though, you wont be able to hear it over the stereo.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
I thought this set up looked similar to what you are doing. Check it out:

http://caraudiomag.com/articles/2006...-audio-upgrade
Old 03-19-2011, 02:31 PM

Viper SRT-10, 68 Camaro
I only use cascade in my cars. The baffle is about 3 1/2" thick. It is made of Baltic burch and mdf. My new baffle is mdf fiberglass and polished aluminum.
That's awesome man! Did you mount the subs from the top going down, or from the underneath?

MDF fiberglass and aluminum? I bet that looks absolutely killer! What made you decide on going that route? Is it going to be a visible baffle now?

+1 about deadening the rear deck.

Also, I hope you have a good HVAC guy in Dallas...my AC started ticking annoyingly today. Hopefully an interior sound nuisance won't ruin all of your work.

Though, you wont be able to hear it over the stereo.
Haha that would annoy the hell out of me! The center fan started squeaking a bit but that somehow seems to have stopped (thank god!!)

Originally Posted by loudandheard
I thought this set up looked similar to what you are doing. Check it out:

http://caraudiomag.com/articles/2006...-audio-upgrade
Wow that looks awesome! I'm doing a similar thing with the exposed amplifier internals, but won't be exactly the same as that, and shouldnt sacrifice as much trunk space. That does look really damn good though!

I'm getting really excited about getting the car back now, should be finished by the end of the week!
Old 03-19-2011, 02:44 PM

2012 Armada
My subs are top mounted like my first baffle. Some of it is visual. I just finished my new amp rack too.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:50 PM

Viper SRT-10, 68 Camaro
My subs are top mounted like my first baffle. Some of it is visual. I just finished my new amp rack too.
That's awesome! You have any pics? I bet it looks incredible! I still can't believe you have 2 sb8s in your car! That really is crazy haha!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E55 Sound System Build Thread - Christmas Time!!