W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For anyone who has had there pulleys come off...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'20 GLE350, '21 F150 Raptor, '03 BMW M3, '22 KTM 890 ADV, '23 Triumph Trident 660
Originally Posted by guysandiego
I am concerned about the key being tall enough -- hard to tell from the pictures -- but looks as if the OEM key was half the length but twice as tall as the one you put in ... If thats the case -- You better make that new key taller.... other wise it looks great - good luck
Height won't matter, as long as he has full engagement of the key. The key is in shear and what does matter is cross sectional area. You would be amazed at how much force that key can take in shear.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c200k
Originally Posted by KLR CLS
Guys this is done all the time on cars with aftermarket SC kits. Vipers, Vettes, even porsches I don't think could have come up with a better solution. Either a parallel key or roll pin is just fine
"Aftermarket" is the key here. Parallel keys are not typically used stock to increase the strength and longevity of the crank and to avoid cracking and/or splitting over time, either by loads placed on the crank via the pulley, or thermal cycling and tolerances. The smaller stock keys have proven strong enough for decades now, and also proven to not induce problems of their own- such as being significant weak points in the designs of cranks, leading to their destruction.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by sknight
"Aftermarket" is the key here. Parallel keys are not typically used stock to increase the strength and longevity of the crank and to avoid cracking and/or splitting over time, either by loads placed on the crank via the pulley, or thermal cycling and tolerances. The smaller stock keys have proven strong enough for decades now, and also proven to not induce problems of their own- such as being significant weak points in the designs of cranks, leading to their destruction.
Just to add... my understanding was that the woodruff key wasn't really intended to withstand the shearing forces imparted by a loose crank pulley. Tightening a fresh OEM crank pulley bolt to 200 nM, plus an additional 90* turn, is the only way to ensure that it is torqued sufficiently and properly. Other installation methods (i.e. impact gun) might work, but how do you verify the bolt received the proper torque? If you gun it to 200 Nm (around 150 ft lbs)... you haven't even come close to the actual spec.

Last edited by c32AMG-DTM; 03-29-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Just to add... my understanding was that the woodruff key wasn't really intended to withstand the shearing forces imparted by a loose crank pulley. Tightening a fresh OEM crank pulley bolt to 200 nM, plus an additional 90* turn, is the only way to ensure that it is torqued sufficiently and properly. Other installation methods (i.e. impact gun) might work, but how do you verify the bolt received the proper torque? If you gun it to 200 nM (around 150 ft lbs)... you haven't even come close to the actual spec.
You are correct...the woodruff key isn't designed for high shearing forces. It relies on a high clamping force to allow for the shearing forces to be as low as possible. In my case I doubt I can get to high clamping force due to the shaft being worn down...so I now need to rely on something that can take high sheering forces. Another thing is that the oem system is designed to allow for easy disassembly and reassembly with generally zero alignment issues. The parallel key will usually clamp on pretty hard and usually makes a puller necessary. I may also take more than one try to make sure the pulley doesn't wobble.

Again...I'm not saying this is BETTER than oem. It's just better than a new crankshaft or engine ( hopefully anyways ).

Last edited by GT-ER; 03-29-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by GT-ER
You are correct...the woodruff key isn't designed for high shearing forces. It relies on a high clamping force to allow for the shearing forces to be as low as possible. In my case I doubt I can get to high clamping force due to the shaft being worn down...so I now need to rely on something that can take high sheering forces. Another thing is that the oem system is designed to allow for easy disassembly and reassembly with generally zero alignment issues. The parallel key will usually clamp on pretty hard and usually makes a puller necessary. I may also take more than one try to make sure the pulley doesn't wobble.

Again...I'm not saying this is BETTER than oem. It's just better than a new crankshaft or engine ( hopefully anyways ).
Our definition of "easy" must be different. But I get your point. Good luck with your repairs. Saw in the other thread that you're supposed to torque EC's pulley to 275 ft/lbs (373 Nm), plus the additional 90* turn. That's gonna be tough... good luck; keep us posted on how it goes.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Our definition of "easy" must be different. But I get your point. Good luck with your repairs. Saw in the other thread that you're supposed to torque EC's pulley to 275 ft/lbs (373 Nm), plus the additional 90* turn. That's gonna be tough... good luck; keep us posted on how it goes.
Yes...getting to 275lb-ft is hard enough...the additional 90* makes you think you're going to break the bolt!
Old 03-29-2011, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
oh bloody hell.

you cut a slot into your crank with a DREMEL in situ?

sometimes its better to cut your losses.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Am I correct in assuming that the wobble is caused by not bottoming the hub on the crank snout?

Can you post a picture of the inside of the hub/pulley, where it mates to the front of the crank snout? Is the keyway on the hub/pulley f ucked up? (can't believe f uck is censored)

How are you installing the hub/pulley? Pulling it on with the bolt? When installing, are you not aligning the keyway properly with the key? How are you keeping it from moving before engaging the key in the keyway on the hub/pulley?
Old 03-29-2011, 12:23 PM

c200k
Originally Posted by Oliverk
oh bloody hell.

you cut a slot into your crank with a DREMEL in situ?

sometimes its better to cut your losses.
Seriously, can you stop being so insensitive? Imagine how the world would be if we were all nicer, like Care Bears.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
I get that you are trying to fix it yourself without having to replace major engine componets. Further, you acknowledge that this is not the "correct" fix.
Regardless of wether I believe this is the right move or not, I can't help but think of the next guy.......

Provided you can actually get this to hold, When you eventually sell the car what are you going to tell the new owner?

Good luck!
Old 03-29-2011, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
Originally Posted by GT-ER
If anyone has the bad luck I've had and has had their pulleys come off...this may be your solution.

This is what it looked like when my pulley came off....you can see the stock key sheered off:

This is what I did now:

I used my dremel with a tungsten carbide bit to make a canal and installed a parallel style key. The key is not only twice as long as the oem key...it's also about twice as think in the end points ( woodruffs are half moon shaped, this one is just rectangular ). It looks like it protrudes in the picture, but it doesn't...it's flush with the tip on the crankshaft.

As soon as I get a new bolt and seal...it's time to bolt on the damper AGAIN and see how this new key holds up. I honestly can't see this failing but I guess we'll find out eh?
Wow!!! That is a very simple and BRILLIANT solution to a big A$$ problem!!!
Old 03-29-2011, 12:47 PM

c200k
Does anyone else notice the new damage on the front of the engine case?
Old 03-29-2011, 12:57 PM

'20 GLE350, '21 F150 Raptor, '03 BMW M3, '22 KTM 890 ADV, '23 Triumph Trident 660
Looks superficial to me.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:03 PM

c200k
Including the ones on the machined surfaces?
Old 03-29-2011, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
'06 E55 K2
Originally Posted by wsybert
Looks superficial to me.
Agreed!!

Install that new oil seal, button her up, go for a spin (pun not intended) and you can put an end to all the psychic readers on this forum.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
E55 AMG
Good luck.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
how much do new crank bolts go for? Mine came with the pulley
Old 03-29-2011, 03:30 PM

Including the ones on the machined surfaces?
Yep. Unless the seal I.D. is damaged to the point it will leak, which I doubt it is, based on what I can see. The machined area on the face doesn't do anything.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:32 PM

c200k
Well, using a screwdriver to pry the crank off doesn't look especially nice.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:14 PM

06 E55, 03FORD P/S,01 E320-4M,99 ML320,O4 E55,05 RUBICON UNLIMITED,
So here's my .02,if when you orig. replaced the key,didn't replace the whole key,just kinda made your own to fit the area that broke and installed the pulley I'm not suprised it broke again.To do this repair correctly you should be replacing the whole key not part of it,a modified keyway like the one you're doing would really be strong.That may mean pulling the front cover off ,timing chain gear,etc.,I think that will be the end all solution.Having done 60+ pulley swaps on benz's,I have never seen these problems personally,I would would also rec. that to you and all others when installing a pulley on these cars,heat the pulley snout and it will slide on easier.Trying to run the pulley down with bolt does put excess strain on the keyway and failure is more likely to occur.I would also apply some sealant in the keyway area at the end to prevent any oil leaks,checking the pulley balance is also a good idea as JAKPRO mentioned,best of luck and keep us updated,although I fear you may still have problems(fingers crossed).Also for info purposes, there is only 1 key for both pulley and timing gear,part # n 006888 005005.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Originally Posted by MBTEK
I would would also rec. that to you and all others when installing a pulley on these cars,heat the pulley snout and it will slide on easier.
Wouldn't the heat make the metal in the pulley snout expand and actually decrease the size of the opening? I don't see how heating it would help, but I also don't doubt what you're saying. I just don't get how it helps?
Old 03-29-2011, 04:42 PM

06 E55, 03FORD P/S,01 E320-4M,99 ML320,O4 E55,05 RUBICON UNLIMITED,
Originally Posted by komp55
Wouldn't the heat make the metal in the pulley snout expand and actually decrease the size of the opening? I don't see how heating it would help, but I also don't doubt what you're saying. I just don't get how it helps?
You are heating the pulley snout,which expands,then allows it to slide over the crank easier.heat= expands,cold= retract/shrink.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Originally Posted by MBTEK
You are heating the pulley snout,which expands,then allows it to slide over the crank easier.heat= expands,cold= retract/shrink.
I've done this on SBCs - works great.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTS-V 2013 Wagon
Same as a cylinder sleeve for an engine block. You put the sleeve in a freezer to make it smaller. Both the inside hole and outside diameter shrink. Same here on the pulley, the heat expands the inside hole and outside diameter but you did ask a good question. You were probably thinking that if the metal expanded it would close the hole slightly?
Originally Posted by komp55
Old 03-29-2011, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Anybody else notice this guy has nothing helpful to say ...ever! We hear you..... Nobody but MB techs should work these cars........ and they should only be driven on the Autobahn! Why don't you save everybody the trouble of reading your constant negative attacks or attempts to come off as an authority on the engineering on these cars.

Since you don't think a parallel key or pinning the crank is acceptable, what is your solution? Have you ever personally dealt with this type of issue before? What do you think the MB solution would be for this? They would tell you to replace the motor. Dealerships techs are parts changers, thats it ( some good innovative guys like MBTEK are out there thankfully). You seem to bash the common aftermarket solution to this type of problem, an aftermarket which is responsible for some incredible feats of engineering. Look no further than the Texas Mile thread for proof of what aftermarket engineers are capable of.

You sit there and criticize tempts to come up with a creative solution to a problem that this guy is going through. If you don't have anything helpful to add screw off already...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: For anyone who has had there pulleys come off...