Sponsored by:

Fixing scratches on COMAND screen?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Fixing scratches on COMAND screen?

The P.O. Must have had long fingernails....

The NAV screen is riddled with scratches. Has anyone found a product that can polish them out without damaging it?

-G
Old 04-02-2011, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
I'm interested in this as well.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 BEAST
Do what I did, get your phone out every time your COMAND has any kind of glitch, and video tape it. Warranty will replace it

And the replacement will have some cool software features that yours probably doesnt.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55 AMG, ML63 AMG, Past 996GT3,ZCPM3,Brabus C32,ML 500
Hes talking about the screen, I think we have to live with it. It's from people not cleaning them with good glass cleaner and cloths. Mine was destroyed at a car wash.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Vader13
Hes talking about the screen, I think we have to live with it. It's from people not cleaning them with good glass cleaner and cloths. Mine was destroyed at a car wash.
Do you think a headlight polishing compound might be gentle enough for scratch removal? I'd put blue 3M tape around everything else nearby to prevent making a bigger mess...

-G
Old 04-03-2011, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
W212 E63
Is it actual scratches or is it just the anti-glare top coat that's coming off? The PO of my ride was a girl who had long nails and the edges of my screen have the anti-glare chicken scratch and when the sun shines directly at the screen it looks like ****.

As far as I know, and I've done some research, there is no way to fix the problem. It is very common on our cars...

Interested in the warranty idea tho, what kind of malfunctions were you experiencing?
Old 04-03-2011, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by TheVazha
Is it actual scratches or is it just the anti-glare top coat that's coming off? The PO of my ride was a girl who had long nails and the edges of my screen have the anti-glare chicken scratch and when the sun shines directly at the screen it looks like ****.

As far as I know, and I've done some research, there is no way to fix the problem. It is very common on our cars...

Interested in the warranty idea tho, what kind of malfunctions were you experiencing?
You're right that it's more likely the anti-glare coating that's scratched. It's pretty hard to scratch the screen itself, but the MB coating is easily marked up.

I did see a while back on the interwebz that a few people have actually taken off all the coating and then bought anti-glare cut out material and covered the screen. It looked pretty good and just like new. Others just left the screen without the coating and said it didn't really ever glare much anyway. That looked good, too.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST
A few times the COMAND screen would be on the radio, and for example, the radio was on 98.7, but when I changed stations the COMAND screen wouldn't change- the actual station would though, so would the display on the instrument cluster.

There was something else also, but I forgot what it was.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
Hey,

I ran into this on an SL I had a while back . There is a fix, but it's sort of a Pita and not cheap. I don't know what i did with the research, but you might check my post history.
There is a company that sells a replacement screen. It's one of the companies that sells parts and repairs for these units, and sells refurb units. Down side is that the thing costs around $300, and that doesn't include install. If it's something you really want to do, then....hope that helps you.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
W212 E63
Originally Posted by W211 BEAST
A few times the COMAND screen would be on the radio, and for example, the radio was on 98.7, but when I changed stations the COMAND screen wouldn't change- the actual station would though, so would the display on the instrument cluster.

There was something else also, but I forgot what it was.
You listen to 98.7?

Lol, thanks for the reply. That's sounds like a legitimate malfunction. Come to think of it, mine's been doing the same thing!!
Old 04-04-2011, 02:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST
You listen to 98.7?

Lol, thanks for the reply. That's sounds like a legitimate malfunction. Come to think of it, mine's been doing the same thing!!
One of the only stations I'll actually listen to. I used to love Jack FM, but it kind of went downhill. They went from playing about 10% funny/novelty music, to playing it about 70% of the time.

And yeah, time to get your videocamera out buddy!!!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 220S
You're right that it's more likely the anti-glare coating that's scratched. It's pretty hard to scratch the screen itself, but the MB coating is easily marked up.

I did see a while back on the interwebz that a few people have actually taken off all the coating and then bought anti-glare cut out material and covered the screen. It looked pretty good and just like new. Others just left the screen without the coating and said it didn't really ever glare much anyway. That looked good, too.

Weird.... Couldn't fid the relevant post using search here, but Google linked me to a great post on this forum!

Novus #1 polish to clean
Novus #2 for final buff

Available from Amazon.com in a kit for less than $10...

I've already got it on order and will post up results. My contribution to "serious tech" around here!

-G
Old 04-04-2011, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
211-55
Originally Posted by GregMB
I've already got it on order and will post up results. My contribution to "serious tech" around here!

-G
Subscribed. So you better post them results!