Pulley Kit for W211 E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55, F550, S600 Ducati 999
Pulley Kit for W211 E55

Does anyone know of a realistically priced pulley kit for the new E55?
Old 05-19-2003, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
Iam looking into RENNtech.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:53 PM

Porsche 997 Turbo
Over here in Germany, there are only two Tuners I would let to put their hands on my E55: MKB and Brabus.
MKB is my number one for aftermarket tuning, Brabus is too expensive for aftermarket tuning...it is more the place to buy a whole car.
As far as I know, MKB and Renntech work together. So the number one choice for the US would be Renntech.

Don't look on the price tag. There are a lot of cheap kits out there, no doubt about it. But all of them void warranty (incl. the Renntech and Brabus kits but these Tuners might offer an additional warranty to cope with it) and when it comes to problems, you'll soon understand why it sometimes pays off to invest more money for quality work.

A Pulley kit isn't enough: to have a good setup, you also need a different exhaust system incl. high flow cats, a different ECU software and eventually a different airbox incl. airfilter with higher flow. Adjustments to the gearbox software might be needed too.

And a last note which might be interesting for US E55 owners: raising power to let's say 540-550 HP doesn't increase performance too much in the lower speed range. The real advantage of such a kit shows off at higher speeds, especially over 125 mph. When did you drive 125 mph or faster lately?
Save your money, enjoy your car and get a nice set of AMG Style IV 19'' wheels for your E55.
Or do the job right and go for a full 600+ HP upgrade for big money.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rennteam, thanks for the common sense answer. I was starting to feel bad for having only 469hp!!

Old 05-20-2003, 06:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, F550, S600 Ducati 999
Rennteam
With respect I asked for reasonably priced pulley kits. $4900 US is not reasonable.
I am doing exhaust, ECU and intake.
I do not need to pay someone 10K+ for work that is realistically worth 2-3K on any other car.

I will making the same airbox mods as advised by MB "off road use only" mods that I posted in the performance section last year, remove the mid muffler ( with a X-over pipe - I have sent MKB an email, but will probably use an M5 piece), add the overdrive pulley, remap the ECU to my car on a Dyno and remove the speed limiter.
My local Benz technician (the one that helped me with the mods on my previous E55) has told me about a diagnostic mode for the car and is experimenting with lowering the car 15-20mm.

Sure I could pay Renntech, MKB et al 10K for the priviledge, but I prefer to do the work myself.
I will end up with better performance and a lot of change. It's not rocket science.
Since I don't have Autobahn's here in Australia (unless I drive to the Northern Territory which has no speed limits) the only place that I can use the performance of the car is on a race track or a drag strip. I already have a bike for the race track, so that leaves the drag strip for me.
The car is a toy to be played with, after all, boys will be boys and I'm still 19 at heart :p
Old 05-20-2003, 08:22 AM

Porsche Twin Turbo, Supra Turbo, EVO Turbo
Originally posted by Rennteam
And a last note which might be interesting for US E55 owners: raising power to let's say 540-550 HP doesn't increase performance too much in the lower speed range. The real advantage of such a kit shows off at higher speeds
I agree with everything you said except this, you HAVE to notice a big difference in accelaration and 1/4times that is for sure, but yes deep top end will be probably the max power you will feel due to such a heavy limousine.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:45 AM

Porsche 997 Turbo
Originally posted by 03E55AMG
I agree with everything you said except this, you HAVE to notice a big difference in accelaration and 1/4times that is for sure, but yes deep top end will be probably the max power you will feel due to such a heavy limousine.
I can't provide an example specifically for the E55 but let's take the 996 Turbo which I know very very well.
A stock car does 0-100 mph in around, let's say 9.6 seconds.
The same car tuned by RS-Tuning to around 543 HP does 0-100 mph in 8.8 seconds. And another car tuned to 569 HP does 0-100 mph in 8.6 seconds.
So with 123 HP power gain, the 996 Turbo is around 0.8 seconds faster from 0-100 mph. Impressive? Not.
BUT...let's take the 0-125 mph figure: stock car does it in 14.6 seconds, the 543 HP version does it in 12.6 seconds. 2 seconds(!) difference, now we're talking business.
And if we take the 0 to 188 mph figure, there is a difference of almost 20 seconds(!) as far as I remember.

The E55 is pretty heavy, so it doesn't really profit from more power at lower speed ranges.
It would be interesting to see a real life comparison run between a stock E55 and a tuned E55. I'm not interested in data provided by Tuners because I don't trust such data. With turbo- or supercharged engines, cheating is pretty easy.
Or to use a german expression: never trust the numbers, unless you falsified them yourself.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:14 AM

So with 123 HP power gain, the 996 Turbo is around 0.8 seconds faster from 0-100 mph. Impressive? Not.
I am well familiar with the 996TT because I also own one. Let's say with a REAL driver the car knocks off 1 full sec. For you might NOT be impressive but for others Im sure it would be, how many often races do you see in the highway going from 130mph up? Hardly NONE, you see more accelaration races day by day. From a light or from a roll at about low mph. I am all about speed, I love going from low mph and super high as well.

On a side note, I understand your point of the HP figures and all, but frankly in terms of accelaration I disagree. To knock off a FULL second of accelaration is not only hard but very impressive. But I respect your opinion.

PS: I was the driver of a 1060HP Turbo Supra for years til I sold it..last week. I love speed.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:23 PM

Porsche 997 Turbo
Originally posted by 03E55AMG
I am well familiar with the 996TT because I also own one. Let's say with a REAL driver the car knocks off 1 full sec. For you might NOT be impressive but for others Im sure it would be, how many often races do you see in the highway going from 130mph up? Hardly NONE, you see more accelaration races day by day. From a light or from a roll at about low mph. I am all about speed, I love going from low mph and super high as well.

On a side note, I understand your point of the HP figures and all, but frankly in terms of accelaration I disagree. To knock off a FULL second of accelaration is not only hard but very impressive. But I respect your opinion.

PS: I was the driver of a 1060HP Turbo Supra for years til I sold it..last week. I love speed.
1060 HP Turbo Supra? Not bad.
Well, over here in Germany, we actually don't do much street racing with expensive cars. Street racers are usually rice burners and some tuned VW Golf, Opel Kadett, etc.
So we usually have two choices where we can race other cars: the Autobahn (which sometimes is pretty straight, sometimes not...for sure not as wide and straight as US highways) and the track and if we're lucky some deserted country roads.
From my personal experience, power upgrades on 400+ HP cars of less than 10-15% don't show too much performance gain in the lower speed range. This is why I never care too much about 0-60(62) mph performance figures because a fraction of a second doesn't count much (I don't care if my E55 does it in 4.6 or 4.7 or 4.5 seconds). I remember somebody testdriving a Brabus modified E55 compared to this own stock E55 and there wasn't any difference, at least at the speeds he was able to drive.
As far as I remember, Brabus claims 530 HP (DIN) for the tuning.
This would be around 54 HP+ compared to stock.

But anyway...the E55 is a very impressive car for it's weight and it is a pitty that AMG wasn't able to reduce weight by let's say around 150 kg. But I still love my E55 and as long as I outrun most so called "sportscars" out there on the streets, I'm happy with it. Not to forget about the trunk space and the room for my two kids.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:30 AM

W211 E55AMG
Hey Rennteam do you feel that AMG-limiter still kicks in around 300kph? is it calculator speed or Real speed?
Old 05-21-2003, 11:31 AM

1060 HP Turbo Supra? Not bad.
Well, over here in Germany, we actually don't do much street racing with expensive cars. Street racers are usually rice burners and some tuned VW Golf, Opel Kadett, etc.
So we usually have two choices where we can race other cars: the Autobahn (which sometimes is pretty straight, sometimes not...for sure not as wide and straight as US highways) and the track and if we're lucky some deserted country roads.
From my personal experience, power upgrades on 400+ HP cars of less than 10-15% don't show too much performance gain in the lower speed range. This is why I never care too much about 0-60(62) mph performance figures because a fraction of a second doesn't count much (I don't care if my E55 does it in 4.6 or 4.7 or 4.5 seconds). I remember somebody testdriving a Brabus modified E55 compared to this own stock E55 and there wasn't any difference, at least at the speeds he was able to drive.
As far as I remember, Brabus claims 530 HP (DIN) for the tuning.
This would be around 54 HP+ compared to stock.

But anyway...the E55 is a very impressive car for it's weight and it is a pitty that AMG wasn't able to reduce weight by let's say around 150 kg. But I still love my E55 and as long as I outrun most so called "sportscars" out there on the streets, I'm happy with it. Not to forget about the trunk space and the room for my two kids.
Yeah I agree with you..its fun to be able to beat most sports cars out there in a 4 door..