Sponsored by:

Used E55 AMG vs CTS-V

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mustang GT
Used E55 AMG vs CTS-V

Im considering these 2 cars. Obviously there will be a bias here but i too think the e55 is an amazing car. Im a bit worried about reliability and maintenance or possible problems on the mercedes since it will have like 60-75k miles im sure it will be expensive to repair if something goes wrong.

Im looking for them in the 20-22500$ range and i dont want to have to spend extreme amounts on maintenance and repairs. Would it be better or more practical to just go with a CTS-V due to it being a corvette engine and probably cheaper maintenance and repair?

Whats the average maintenance/ownership cost on an e55 amg vs a cts-v per year. Any thoughts? thanks
Old 05-17-2011, 11:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55, Supercharged Z4 (sold)
I was between both cars as well. That said, I'd consider a used E55 with a warranty. There are a ton going up for sale now so you can afford to be somewhat picky. Maintenance isn't THAT bad, it's just the repairs that can get you and a warranty helps mitigate that cost. Oil changes and such are a little more but nothing crazy especially if you use your head.

If it's the first gen CTS-V you have the dreaded diff problem. I heard of one guy going through 9 of them. I think later years may have fixed the problem but I'm not sure to what degree. IMO E55>CTS-V. I assume you mean first gen with the price range you're looking at.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
I had 3 E55s and a CLS55 and I just sold a 06 CTSv and I gotta tell you beating on the V felt much safer. I am looking for another 55 variant but the V is a blast. I have had 2 Vs and never any rear end issues or noises. I think that is played up just like the MB airmatic. The V got great gas mileage and like I said, I was way less worried about something breaking. My brother-in-law now has the V and loves it. It was a 06 by the way. Crap for it is ten times cheaper as well. For the money it is a great car. The only down side is it is a little hillbilly compared to a Benz.
The following users liked this post:
Exec. Hot Rod (10-05-2016)
Old 05-17-2011, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Haters crazy
Emoving is lying he hates 55s, he's looking at lotus elises right now.

E55 meh, get a m5! Those are real beasts lol
Old 05-17-2011, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Originally Posted by tbal
Emoving is lying he hates 55s, he's looking at lotus elises right now.

E55 meh, get a m5! Those are real beasts lol
Haaaaa.....you got me T.....a nice little ORANGE Lotus too!
Old 05-17-2011, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
I had a 2005 LS6 V with heads/cam + full bolt ons. 440whp and great fun. Felt alot more nimble than the 55K cars. That said I went through 3 diffs and 2 trannies. The early cars were terrible. Huge wheel hop problems and I could never launch better than a 2.0 60' for fear of the diff exploding. The Aftermarket has since stepped up to resolve alot of the issues with custom axles and wheel hop kits. Upgrades are super cheap compared to MB offerings.

Bottom line, its a Cheaper way to go fast, with class.....but not MB level class.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Supercharger clutch = 1000-1200 without install charges.

Brakes = Dealer will charge you 1k-1500 just for the fronts as AMG rotors must be replaced with the pads. Some guys are getting away with pads only now days.

Long as you know what you are getting into, come on in and play. Just be warned.

Considering the sharp increase in pistons popping past year, I wouldn't even touch a 70k 55 without a full compression check and quick scope of the pistons. At least compression check. Can't tell you how many guys notice trouble and hurry and trade the car leaving you holding the repair bill.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:14 PM

2004 E55
As said, if you're going to get a used E55, get one with warranty. I moved from Acura's into my E55 and I was concerned about maintenance costs. I learned pretty quickly that maintenance (as distinct from repairs, which you have the warranty for) costs aren't bad at all and shouldn't be a deterrent to buying an E55. Of course, mine isn't modded and I don't drive it hard, so depending on your intended use you may have a different experience (see, e.g., the piston issue Jackpro1 mentioned above, I think it's been happening to modded cars).

I've never driven an older CTS but I've sat inside one and if you're looking for luxury you can't compare the two...the E is far and away more luxurious.

gluck
Old 05-17-2011, 08:14 PM

2006 e55, 2005 S55
Hello this is my first post , i just purchased an 06 e55 just 6 weeks ago, and i considered the 06,07 cts/v but i just did not want a stick shift for a daily driver. oh i purchased a extended warranty up to 5 years/100k it was only $2850 bumper to bumper No deduct. good luck on the new ride......I LOVE MY E55
Old 05-17-2011, 08:36 PM

2003 C32 AMG & 2009 CTS-V
Originally Posted by Luke_M
I was between both cars as well. That said, I'd consider a used E55 with a warranty. There are a ton going up for sale now so you can afford to be somewhat picky. Maintenance isn't THAT bad, it's just the repairs that can get you and a warranty helps mitigate that cost. Oil changes and such are a little more but nothing crazy especially if you use your head.

If it's the first gen CTS-V you have the dreaded diff problem. I heard of one guy going through 9 of them. I think later years may have fixed the problem but I'm not sure to what degree. IMO E55>CTS-V. I assume you mean first gen with the price range you're looking at.
You're right about the diff problems with the 1st gen V's. The current gen has completely fixed that problem,... and the wheel hop that came along with it. If he's talking about a 2nd gen V, he's got a hard decision to make. If what he looking at is a 1st,... I'd go with the E.

O own a late '09 V, and it's turned out to be a very reliable car,... and I mean I drove it hard the first couple weeks while the excitement and adrenaline was running high. Got used to all that power and calmed down after a month or so and a ticket.

Only problems I had after delivery was a mis-aligned vista roof,... fixed promptly, a ticking in the front wheel area which turned out to be a caliber problem,... fixed promptly, and the need for a wheel alignment off the showroom floor, it's been tip-top. Except for a program,... it's stock. And what a brute it is! They say the V auto is faster,... but trust me, the standard g-box is way more fun to drive.

BTW,... I still own my C32, and it still runs like a bat outta hell. Ain't nothing like the sound and thrust of a blower sittin' on top of well thought out mill. Have fun!

Last edited by ericpd; 05-17-2011 at 08:56 PM.