W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I pulled the head off... guess what? *DON'T OPEN IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH*

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
I told you . . .

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post4675931
Old 05-19-2011, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
getting ready for honing and new rings

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

In order 5 6 7 and broken 8

Worn ring edge (lower ring above oil scrapper)
All 4 look like this.

Number 6 failed land rings and number 8 failed land rings + surface.
(8 on left, old 6 on right)

Poor thing... is really having a bad life

Last edited by benz_addict; 05-19-2011 at 01:56 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12TT
Originally Posted by AWOL
how many miles have you been modded?
on the clock it's close to 236,500 KMS
Modded from 170,000KMS
With 180 Pulley from 230,000 KMS

Originally Posted by AMG_RL
well....there's your Problem. damn that sucks atleast you found the source of your 0 compression.

Originally Posted by Hammer Down
03'?
2003 model

Originally Posted by shardul
so all this happened after you replaced the piston previously.
Yup all after number 6 cyl had failed ring lands

Originally Posted by splinter
Sorry to see that.

Originally Posted by sneakyneon
Man that sucks!
Do you have any Fuel mods?
Stock rail, stock injectors, stock pump, OEM filter
No?

Originally Posted by AMGPilot
Interesting. Another Eurocharged cylinder 8 failure
I wouldn't say so, Eurocharge has been very helpful

Originally Posted by Tranman
Ugh... things like this scare me. I'm sitting at 108k on my Renntech Stage 5....
I hope for the best for your car! I hope no one goes through this. Do not own this car without warranty

Originally Posted by GT-ER
I knew a valve issue couldn't have been all there was, sucks to see this happen to you though. You've already had your share of problems from what I've gathered...

BTW- that head looks easily fixable. Just new valves, piston, rings and whatever else I can't see.
Yeah man I hope these problems stop. What's scaring me are these 2003 models with really weak landing rings, especially number 8.

Getting head reconditioned

Originally Posted by 03'55AMG
So what are you going to do from this point on? TTM fuel rail or sell?
EC550 injectors

Originally Posted by pearlpower
Wow, sorry to see this. How much labor to get his repaired?
DIY

Originally Posted by outrun
did you cry? I would. That sucks.
Ah, worse things in life man. Just a car and nothing two hands and knowledge can't fix. And of course alot of $$

And a block since the nikisil is damaged and that only comes with fitted pistons for $16,000
16 grand?

I can't tell if that's actual damage to the sleeve. Benz_addict, can you confirm that the sleeve is damaged?

Regardless, if the option is between getting a new block and simply honing the sleeve, I'd hone the sleeve. Nikasil is nice and all, but it's not a deal breaker.
Sleeve looks fine. But couple cylinders have scratches that need to be slightly honed out.

Sulfur in gasoline kills the nikasil walls. I always run OCT 94 min with no or low sulfer.

Originally Posted by whipplem104
I have never seen the top of a piston break off like that before. I have blown a few ring lands off but not the top land. I have seen the top land burn off after ring failure but your ring still looks intact. Hope the cylinder wall is ok. If not sleeve it and go with custom pistons.
I think the walls are good they just need to be slightly honed they feel, look good but I need to measure them before honing and if needed a slight even hone to smooth everything out.

Originally Posted by AUS-E55
No way is that a fueling problem that looks like a purely mechanical failure to me,
It's a mystery to me. Timing is on fine. I confirmed it before pulling the heads with CP set to 40 TDC and cams tools locked in place.

Originally Posted by ssonss1
Ouch, hurts to look at Good luck with the repairs
Thanks, I love your CLS man

Originally Posted by Tech-Tune
Sorry to see this, I've just been through the same ordeal (only my piston damage was to the skirt).
I decided to rebuild the engine. We used forged pistons and modified the fuel rail. The car's been running great ever since and actually feels more responsive than before (possibly because the new pistons are lighter than the stockers).

Don't sweat it too much, its not as bad as it seems.
When it first happened I thought it was the end of the world. Looking back, it was just another hurdle.
Are you using the same type low compression pistons with the dip on the surface? Any pics and more info on the forged pistons your using?
I'm thinking of swapping them all out while I'm at it.

That is absolutely a fueling AND/OR ignition timing problem. I've seen this kind of damage a million times from knock. Since it was number 8 and people here seem to normally pop number 8, than I can assume that the problem is fueling over timing. But that is not a failure that occurred just because the part was defective or something like that.
I think it's something to do with fuel supply and running lean and way too hot. As everybody knows these 55k motors have massive heat soak problems.

Originally Posted by jumpinjack
GT-ER,
Is this an octane issue or fuel deliverly to cylinder issue when you say above "fueling and/or ignition timing" problem? Just wondering. Thanks
Fuel delivery. I need to verify my tune.

Agreed. jumpinjack it's most likely caused the inferior design of the stock fuel rails not being able to deliver fuel to the #8 cylinder causing a lean mixture. not usually a big problem on stock cars, but on modded cars running higher boost it definately comes into play as the OP did note that he was doing a number of WOT pulls.
+1

Originally Posted by aghakauve
Ouch that looks bad! Hope everything goes well for you, keep us updated
Thanks! I'll keep you guys updated

Originally Posted by AUS-E55
Ok i could be wrong but it just looks like too clean of a brake, it just doesn't look like any other number 8 piston failures I've ever seen on these motors, didn't benz_addict just replace this piston with a used one ?? was piston to bore clearance checked when the motor was reassembled,
Cyl 6 piston failed last year... so just replaced it from an 05 E55

Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Oh Ouch, don't worry it can be fixed, chin up.
I would replace the head though, warped aluminum heads after a thermal and mechanical (fod) event, even resurfaced never stop warping, you should be able to find a good used one. Head bolts and threads in block need to be checked before replacement head gets torqued.
From what I see your cylinder looks serviceable, I think you may have lucked out.

for those that have not read the Head thread,
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...pped-head.html
Thanks

If the valve hits the piston it'll mark it but I can't see and marks on the piston.
I think it's more due to heat and lack of fuel running to lean and hot problem

Originally Posted by ejsheltra
That piece probably did not explode to a million pieces but may have done seat and cat damage depending upon velocity out. Are the valves bent? What about the bottom end?
I'm running catless and honestly can't find any pieces except when I took the head bolt out there seemed to be some pieces in there?

It bent the exhaust valve from what I can see. It probably just broke into smaller chunks before escaping the chamber through the exhaust valve, damaging it in the process.
I think the piece tried to escape through the exhaust while it was closing and bent the valve then? I can't see any impact marks on the valve or piston.

ahhh good catch looking at the pics again you are right.
Originally Posted by AgSilver
You were dead on

Last edited by benz_addict; 05-19-2011 at 01:53 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Haters crazy
Oh man, poor car! Hope you get everything sorted out! What are you roughly figuring $ wise, time wise to get her up n running strong?
Old 05-19-2011, 02:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG --old cars -- E39 M5, 2.7tt Audi S4, E36 M3 **Ducati 996, 748
good luck with the rebuild -- its awesome your doing it yourself -- I wish i had those ***** --
Old 05-19-2011, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12TT
Originally Posted by tbal
Oh man, poor car! Hope you get everything sorted out! What are you roughly figuring $ wise, time wise to get her up n running strong?
Thanks man! You got a PM

Originally Posted by guysandiego
good luck with the rebuild -- its awesome your doing it yourself -- I wish i had those ***** --
For inspiration, click HERE
Old 05-19-2011, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Bad news, but could definately be worse. I always love your dedicatation to solving this stuff with a great attitude and hard work. LEt me know if you need anything man.

Are you planning on honing the block in the enginebay with a drill hone? Be careful to use lots of lube( wd 40 or proper honing lube) Make sure its good and mounted centered and square to avoid taking the cyl out of round.

Pete

Last edited by KLR CLS; 05-19-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12TT
Originally Posted by KLR CLS
Bad news, but could definately be worse. I always love your dedicatation to solving this stuff with a great attitude and hard work. LEt me know if you need anything man.

Are you planning on honing the block in the enginebay with a drill hone? Be careful to use lots of lube( wd 40 or proper honing lube) Make sure its good and mounted centered and square to avoid taking the cyl out of round.

Pete
Thanks peter will do
Let me know if your going to install cams I got the tools if you want them
Old 05-19-2011, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Use very fine honing stones to get a slick finish.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
wow... thats pretty good milage for a modded motor!

Looks more than a #8 fuel starvation issue to me and could also be mechanical fatigue in combination with a general lean condition.

Have you checked your fuel pressure? With that mialage I expect your fuel filter may a tad blocked compromising fuel pressure.

In the end it can be fixed though!

EDIT: given the failures i'd go new forged pistons all round now ... how the conrods and rest of bottom end?

Last edited by stevebez; 05-20-2011 at 04:30 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12TT
This project is on a hold for a little bit as I have to wait for parts to arrive. Mainly from Germany directly to my dealership. I hope it'll be fast.

BTW if anyone's wondering there's a new part number for the rings that will fit the stock piston after a fine hone. They call it the repair ring set or something not sure..
Old 05-20-2011, 11:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good luck with the rebuild and keep us posted! I do like your post were you link to finns rebuild. "For inspiration, click HERE" Nice.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12TT
Thanks viper.

Got the new rings today installed them on the other 3 pistons and put them back in. Just waiting for 1 piston to arrive to finish off my work. Did the rod bearings and new oil pan gasket. Some oil leak was present from the oil level sensor but I think it's a common problem with all 55k's.

Until then It's still puzzling me how the valve got bent and how the surface of the piston broke... FYI this happened after 3 or 4 WOT, under WOT. I'm thinking it over revved with heat and fuel starvation to number 8 as the issue.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
The piston broke and the pieces got stuck in the valve and bent it...I've seen it before.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12TT
Building process (thanks shardul for the piston!)

Pistons cleaned up and installed in correct postion (arrow facing towards front of engine)

Head, surfaced cleaned and checked for warpage.
Valve seals replaced.
Cylinder 8 exhaust valve replaced.
All cleaned up.

Head installed and torqued to correct sequence.
Notice the cam timing tool installed.
These will hold the cam in correct position while crank is at 40* A-TDC
The f-ing chain tensioner is located behind the alternator and is a ***** to get to and losen up.

Cam tool installed on right side (rocker bridge losened up)

Timing is perfect!
Arrows point to copper markings.

Rocker bridge new bolts and installed.

Everything else bolted back up and re-checked. Ready for starting the engine...
Old 06-02-2011, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12TT
Drove it approx 50kms right now, everything seems good so far. No rough idle, no problems no hesitations no noises. Running with no supercharger belt right now so the secondary TB is open as main air flow as I have to carefully break in the engine and not take it past 3500k RPMS for 2000KMS.

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0padcZbYzE
Old 06-02-2011, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
I didn't know you could replace pistons without removing the engine. How do you get the oil pan out without removing the subframe?
Old 06-02-2011, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP
Salik ...You rock man! Great work. What did the parts total come to?
Old 06-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
man you work fast!
you recevied the piston on tuesday and have the car running already!
Old 06-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever we're tuning!
AMAZING JOB SALIK!!!!

Fingers and toes crossed for you brother!
Old 06-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Glad to hear everything is back!
Old 06-02-2011, 06:45 PM

2017 991.2 Turbo PDK 2017 C63S Coupe Ceramic Brakes 2015 CLS63S AMG Full House
Interesting. Another Eurocharged cylinder 8 failure
Yes, indeed, and our local (so-called) Eurocharged agents in South Africa, have to be the most evasive tuning shop here. I don't know if this is any coincidence, but when I called them 4 months ago for doing an upgrade on my 05 immaculate Obsidian E55 W211, they actually said that they currently do not offer any upgrades for any of the 55 Komp motors? No Conspiracy stories here. So I did not walk away, I just walked away real quick and was glad nothing ever came of it.

I send all 12 of my most loved AMG's to AMG-SA, they a special group that takes care of all my desires to them Beasts.

I'm just such a busy man gotta show you gentleman images, runs for fun only and just how passionate this whole W211 E55 Komp E-Class, got hold of my soul.

Good Luck with cyl 8, and also this from a good friend and Serious AMG collector, from Dusseldorf, he tells me that some of the best ever 55Komp motors were built 09/12/02 through to 2003, but anyway.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:55 PM

Well Done, Benz Addict, and all you great guys on this forum, wish we had such a great passion of AMG, here in South Africa.

You guys are great, much respect to all of you.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP
Originally Posted by Sher Judge
Yes, indeed, and our local (so-called) Eurocharged agents in South Africa, have to be the most evasive tuning shop here. I don't know if this is any coincidence, but when I called them 4 months ago for doing an upgrade on my 05 immaculate Obsidian E55 W211, they actually said that they currently do not offer any upgrades for any of the 55 Komp motors? No Conspiracy stories here. So I did not walk away, I just walked away real quick and was glad nothing ever came of it.

I send all 12 of my most loved AMG's to AMG-SA, they a special group that takes care of all my desires to them Beasts.

I'm just such a busy man gotta show you gentleman images, runs for fun only and just how passionate this whole W211 E55 Komp E-Class, got hold of my soul.

Good Luck with cyl 8, and also this from a good friend and Serious AMG collector, from Dusseldorf, he tells me that some of the best ever 55Komp motors were built 09/12/02 through to 2003, but anyway.

This has nothing to do with Eurocharged and on the contrary they have gone WAAAAY above and beyond anything I have ever seen to help out Salik.

Salik's car is a high mileage, highly abused car which had a no name local tune on it. He also ran a pulley with no tune on it for some time.

When he popped the #6 piston, EC offered him a FREE Piston and a FREE tune to help him out. Jake and Jerry where just helping a guy out for no benefit to themselves.

I say it time and time again, they only person to blame for damage to a modded car is yourself.

People looking for Drama on this board need to get a more active social life...
Old 06-02-2011, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by KLR CLS
This has nothing to do with Eurocharged and on the contrary they have gone WAAAAY above and beyond anything I have ever seen to help out Salik.

Salik's car is a high mileage, highly abused car which had a no name local tune on it. He also ran a pulley with no tune on it for some time.

When he popped the #6 piston, EC offered him a FREE Piston and a FREE tune to help him out. Jake and Jerry where just helping a guy out for no benefit to themselves.

I say it time and time again, they only person to blame for damage to a modded car is yourself.

People looking for Drama on this board need to get a more active social life...
No Drama, just facts, Eurocharged may be a great tuning company in the USA, but unfortunately, they obviously been mis-represented in South Africa. Just Facts, and no offense to any of the Eurocharged team in the USA. I wanted to go with Eurocharged and as you have read above they were not willing to or instead and I quote them saying, that they do not do any upgrades for 55 Kompressor motors in South Africa.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: So I pulled the head off... guess what? *DON'T OPEN IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH*