W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling the trigger on an '09 E63, Have some questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 541 Likes on 359 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by bobgodd
I replied to the other thread but in my opinion you HAVE to wait for an 09 that comes along at the price you're willing to pay. The COMAND alone is worth it.
I'm going for the '09. Thanks.

1.99% financing is looking good!
Old 06-04-2011, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
Originally Posted by Vic55
Ok here are some of the latest auction numbers for 2009's...
04/13/11 NADE Regular $52,995 28,072 Avg White 8CY A Yes
Interesting, I saw this car at a local indie dealer @ the same price and he couldn't move it.

Went to auction and was bought by a MB dealer in PA who now has it listed @ 64.9k. :
Click here

Amazing ! BTW, when I drove it, it had a very loud valve tick on the passenger side bank.

Last edited by starbrite; 06-04-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E63AMGP30
Get the best car you can afford...but seriously if it were me I would buy a Performance Package (P30) equiped 2008 over a non-P30 2009 any day of the week. I could care less about a COMAND unit. That's just me. I did a lot of research on the P30 cars and test drove other MBs before pulling the trigger. To me the P30 was important because I wanted a car that cornered tight and wasn't bouncy. My car corners very well. I can say that even after owning four Corvettes. While I'm not racing it on a track, it does stay very planted in corners, almost no body roll, and is stiff enough for sports car guys.

The P30 removes the 155 MPH speed limiter, has the Limited Slip Differential (LSD), and has a 50% stiffer suspension all the way around for flatter cornering. You might want to do some research into the P30 package and see if that interests you. It's a personal preference. Below is a good summary by a forum member:

http://703power.com/benz.php

But get the best car you can afford. But don't overlook a good P30 car if you come across one.

Last edited by Lycan; 06-05-2011 at 02:38 AM.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:06 PM

2007 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
My days of hanging the *** of my car out around corners are over buddy, I'm all about chillin in relative comfort and CRUSHING THE SOULS of my coworkers.

Haha Im stealing this! This is exactly why I got rid of my M3 and bought the E63!
Old 06-05-2011, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by Lycan

The P30 removes the 155 MPH speed limiter, has the Limited Slip Differential (LSD), and has a 50% stiffer suspension all the way around for flatter cornering. You might want to do some research into the P30 package and see if that interests you. It's a personal preference. Below is a good summary by a forum member:

http://703power.com/benz.php

But get the best car you can afford. But don't overlook a good P30 car if you come across one.
Just for the record, one can add the P030 package stuff afterwards if one wanted to. A lot of people even argue that the Quaife or OS Giken is a much better LSD (full lock), but even my dealership said they could install a OEM LSD (but more expensive and the OEM is kind of a "quasi-LSD.") I know the Porsche guys prefer the OS Giken over the OEM Porsche version.

One can also buy the P030 airmatics (or install them when one needs a replacement); although it's even possible that it's a SDS activated sort of thing since it's a difference in the air strut valving. I've yet to cross-check part numbers. On the other hand, the non-P030 airmatics are smoother, so some people might prefer that. After all these things are big heavy sedan pigs and aren't really corner tossers anyway (with a W212 the performance option makes more sense, imho.)

Wheels get replaced all the time, and the steering wheel is available too. And one can change the delimiter via the ECU.

Anyway, point being is that it is possible to make a non-P030 into one. So if somebody can't find one and otherwise the car is right, then they could change it over later (figuring all the $$ in mods people do anyway, then why not.) It's just not as easy to find used P030 cars (AMG charges way too much for their OEM stuff and that scared off enough dealers and new buyers from getting the option in the first place.)

But it's interesting to see that AMG is offering more stuff now in their performance options (in the W212) then ever before and also some stand alone options. I think eventually a lot more OEM performance options will be available, like BMW and Porsche.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:56 PM

2008 E63AMGP30
I agree 220.

You can always add aftermarket components that are better then the OEM stuff. I've done that many times with my Vettes. It's just up to the buyer if he or she wants to get into the modification stuff. On an MB it's not cheap. When I was shopping I tried to find the best car that I could afford short of a new W212:-)
Old 06-05-2011, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by 220S
Just for the record, one can add the P030 package stuff afterwards if one wanted to. A lot of people even argue that the Quaife or OS Giken is a much better LSD (full lock), but even my dealership said they could install a OEM LSD (but more expensive and the OEM is kind of a "quasi-LSD.") I know the Porsche guys prefer the OS Giken over the OEM Porsche version.

One can also buy the P030 airmatics (or install them when one needs a replacement); although it's even possible that it's a SDS activated sort of thing since it's a difference in the air strut valving. I've yet to cross-check part numbers. On the other hand, the non-P030 airmatics are smoother, so some people might prefer that. After all these things are big heavy sedan pigs and aren't really corner tossers anyway (with a W212 the performance option makes more sense, imho.)

Wheels get replaced all the time, and the steering wheel is available too. And one can change the delimiter via the ECU.

Anyway, point being is that it is possible to make a non-P030 into one. So if somebody can't find one and otherwise the car is right, then they could change it over later (figuring all the $$ in mods people do anyway, then why not.) It's just not as easy to find used P030 cars (AMG charges way too much for their OEM stuff and that scared off enough dealers and new buyers from getting the option in the first place.)

But it's interesting to see that AMG is offering more stuff now in their performance options (in the W212) then ever before and also some stand alone options. I think eventually a lot more OEM performance options will be available, like BMW and Porsche.
AMG had replied in the past stating that the suspension response parameters can not be programmed by the dealerships, but I'm sure someone with a development edition star can give it a try - although even then, it is not guaraunteed to work as no one has tested it.

I actually think that if we include everything that comes with the AMG P30 option for the E-Class, it doesn't sound like a bad deal especially if we would consider all the costs involved to do the exact same work afterwards. Here are some approximate MSRP pricing:

- Steering Wheel: $2.5k
- 2-Piece light-weight wheels: $5k
- Top-Speed limiter remvoal tune: $1k
- AMG LSD: $5k + you will need the axles
- Airmatic Suspension: $4.5k (not even sure if programming would work)
- Installation: $2k

Total MSRP price is around $20k. Discounted pricing will obviously be much less:

- Steering Wheel: $1k
- 2-Piece light-weight wheels: $2k
- Top-Speed limiter removal tune: $1k
- AMG LSD: $2k + you will need the axles
- Airmatic Suspension: $2.5k
- Installation: $1k
Old 06-05-2011, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mo, do you think you'd need new axles? My service manager claims they can do it without based on the part numbers in their system. But he admitted he hasn't done it before. He "guessed" around $3k. I think somebody here once said they did it thru the dealer (or maybe were going to?)

He also hinted that you can possibly change the airmatics via SDS. But I didn't pursue it any further. I think the part numbers are the same and didn't somebody say the non-AMG part numbers for the struts are the same as the AMG (non-P030) struts? The AMG and non-AMG suspensions are valved differently, too. It wouldn't make a lot of economical sense for Daimler to stock so many different kinds of struts for just one platform (E Class.) But who knows.

But yeah, you're right that doing it later will cost some money. It's just hard to find used P030 cars for sale. So it is an option to add stuff later, nonetheless. I wonder how many P030 cars were sold in the US. Total USA E63s sold were just over 400 in 2009 and I'm guessing only a handful are P030.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by 220S
Mo, do you think you'd need new axles? My service manager claims they can do it without based on the part numbers in their system. But he admitted he hasn't done it before. He "guessed" around $3k. I think somebody here once said they did it thru the dealer (or maybe were going to?)

He also hinted that you can possibly change the airmatics via SDS. But I didn't pursue it any further. I think the part numbers are the same and didn't somebody say the non-AMG part numbers for the struts are the same as the AMG (non-P030) struts? The AMG and non-AMG suspensions are valved differently, too. It wouldn't make a lot of economical sense for Daimler to stock so many different kinds of struts for just one platform (E Class.) But who knows.

But yeah, you're right that doing it later will cost some money. It's just hard to find used P030 cars for sale. So it is an option to add stuff later, nonetheless. I wonder how many P030 cars were sold in the US. Total USA E63s sold were just over 400 in 2009 and I'm guessing only a handful are P030.
You're absolutely right, if someone can't find a P30 car but really wants one, then the the conversion is definitely worth a try. I was just saying that the option may not be too bad of a value from the factory... paying a little extra for the P30 if one really wants one is not uncommon.

Regarding the axles, I am sure they are needed for the E55s because I know 2 guys who have installed an AMG LSD into their E55s and both required new axles. I'm not so sure on the E63 but I will double check. I believe Rick tried in his CLS63 but decided to go with the Quaife because of the hassle. Also found this comment from Steve at MBenzNL saying the same thing:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...est-price.html

Regarding the suspension, I know AMG has commented about it before, so unless the dealer is willing to get a "Development Mode" SDS system and illegaly use it, they will not be able to change the suspension programming response via SDS. Steve may be able to though
Old 06-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Regarding the axles, I am sure they are needed for the E55s because I know 2 guys who have installed an AMG LSD into their E55s and both required new axles.
I was probably one of them Mo. I got the AMG LSD on my 2004 E55 back in 2005 and I needed the Euro Axles to mate up with the LSD. Apparently (I may be wrong) the 2003 E55's came with the heavy duty axles but not after 2003.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:25 PM

2011 C300, 2002 S430
I'm looking at a 07 E63 to purchase and I'm told it has the P30 option however, what can I look for to confirm it myself, i.e button in the cockpit etc; thanks
Old 06-19-2011, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by zoom
I'm looking at a 07 E63 to purchase and I'm told it has the P30 option however, what can I look for to confirm it myself, i.e button in the cockpit etc; thanks
You asked that question in another thread. It was answered.

Google and MBWorld search is your friend.