W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruisin down the 5(in my E55) today and got dissed by fellow E55 (nicely modded).

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g55
Originally Posted by TheVazha
^ Hmmm, sounds like my car! No smoked tail lights tho.

I was on the 5 driving north on Tuesday. I drove down to Dana Point to look at Rehearsal dinner restaurants. I ALWAYS give a thumbs up to fellow AMG'ers. In fact, I will go out of my way to chase them down so we can rev engines. I think the drive by and engine rev is a mutual sign of respect. Every time I see any car US/Asia/Europe and it looks even slightly modded, I will give the rev. My fiance thinks I'm a big nerd but there's nothing like getting the rev back.

Back to the 5N to the 405N, I played around with a GTR. That thing is fast.
Hmmmm.... when i saw the car yesterday... yours was the first one that came to mind. Where you with your lady friend yesterday... roughly.. during the 7:00 hour?? driving South on the 5.... just N. of San Juan Capistrano??

edit...
Nevermind.. you said Tuesday... this incident was yesterday(Weds)
Old 07-14-2011, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
W212 E63
Rolled alone! We're getting married at St. Regis so we've been doing the drive frequently to make arrangements. Tuesday was a quiet day on the 405 and I made sure to leave everyone who is not into spirited driving at home.

When I get into Laguna I usually see a couple AMG's, this time all I saw that was fun was the GTR, an Austin, and a really cool looking Charger...
Old 07-14-2011, 03:55 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,393 Likes on 2,840 Posts
2012 CLS63
I've had some simliar reactions, I just chalk it too them being weenies and not a real car lover.....once saw a sweet MB on the highway, forgot what kind, and I slowed down to have a look at him.......gave him the "a okay" sign and he did the same......then gunned it for me, hehe.....it was a two door 500 something.......all I know it is dropped when he hit the gas.....and got the hell out.....it was sweet as hell.....
I love seeing other Benzes out there.......
but I do reserve my finger wave most times.....

the hell with the haters
Old 07-14-2011, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W215 V12TT Build by Speedriven, W221 S550 4Matic
Originally Posted by 06E55
I can't believe people are calling the owner/driver of the other E55 a douche bag, etc... Maybe he didn't even see you... Just because you honked doesn't mean he heard you or know it was from you... Or maybe too many other AMG owners tried to do exactly what you did, race him.... I see quite a few AMGs around my area, if they wave at me, I may or may not wave back at them... Just depends on my mood... So, because I don't know you and I don't wave back, I am a douche? At the end of the day, I didn't purchase my vehicle to get acknowledgment from other people... I bought it because it was the right vehicle for me at this particular time...
The defense attorney is for the unknown (most likely blind) AMG driver. How could he not see another benz? Who in here driving down the road does not notice another benz in the lane next to them? Better yet one that is an AMG?

If you see me on the road and you are driving an AMG pull into the nearest Starbucks we are talking hehehehe WAVE
Old 07-14-2011, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
Originally Posted by clkwork
You may not be a douche, but if you don't understand then you're certainly not an enthusiast in my book.

Exotic Car Owners Code of Conduct
originally written by Joe Martz (nsxguy@RT66.com)

1. My cars will always be clean and well presentable. I will ensure that my cars are in the highest state of mechanical condition and maintenance. Exotics are indeed rare, and to see one is a special experience. I have an obligation to present these cars to others at a high standard.

2. I will always be polite, courteous, and friendly. I will not talk down to or ignore anyone, and I will cheerfully answer all questions. Exotic owners wrongly suffer from a "snob" label. By actively and always countering this, I will strive to change this perception among all whom I meet.

3. Where feasible, I will encourage inspection and observation of my cars. If someone is clean and courteous, I will encourage them to sit in my cars. I will actively encourage photographs. In particular, I will encourage this among younger children. On occasion, I will offer rides to admirers under the appropriate circumstances.

4. With one exception (see 5, below), I will obey all traffic laws or local traffic customs. Especially, I will pass other cars only in marked, safe passing zones, and I will always respect traffic speeds and noise ordinances within city limits. I will always drive in a defensive manner to protect myself and my vehicle. I will not initiate nor will I respond to challenges to race my cars on open public roads.

5. Operating my cars as God, Enzo, and Ferruccio (or Aufrecht and Melcher) intended will occur only on open, rural routes free of heavy traffic or on appropriately designated race courses. On public highways, I will use my highest powers of observation and diligence to ensure that I place myself, my vehicles, and the public in no additional danger. I will be aware of the environment and road conditions, and I will not drive at excessive speeds on unknown or suspect roads. When approaching blind corners or hills, I will assume that an obstacle exists and will take appropriate defensive measures.

6. I will share my passion and excitement for exotic cars with others through community service and charitable events. I will actively seek out community organizations such as local police departments and schools and offer my cars for use in events such as DARE programs, homecoming parades, pep rallies, etc. Many communities have "Make a Wish" foundations for sick children. If given the opportunity, I will offer a day with myself and my cars to such organizations in an effort to brighten an otherwise trying life for someone less fortunate than I.

7. I will be honest and open with other enthusiasts, and I will accurately represent my cars to prospective owners and buyers. I will keep complete records, and I will always follow up with purchasers of my cars to ensure that they continue to gain maximum satisfaction and appreciation for cars that I have owned and serviced.

8. I will always have a smile on my face when inspecting, driving, or showing my cars to others. I will never forget how fortunate I've been to own such automobiles and I will constantly remind myself that the future is uncertain, and that today may be as good as it gets.
1. An AMG is hardly an exotic in my book.. It's not a Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Bugatti, Pagani, etc... Those are exotics in my book... I also own a Bentley Continental SuperSports and I don't consider this an exotic either... As far as keeping my vehicles clean, I take them to a car wash once a month or so... My wife's car (2009 C300) is a walking garbage can inside and out... If it wasn't for me cleaning it, it would never get washed or cleaned on the inside... It is black and has white spray paint all over it... Neither she nor I care... When I have time, maybe when the weather cools down, I will give it an alcohol bath and see what can be done.... My Bentley has mud all over the sides of the car from taking it to my friends house who lives off a long dirt road and it rained like hell for three or four days before I went there... It's been there for two weeks now... Big deal...

2. I am courteous... Never said I wasn't... I just don't see the need to be acknowledged for the vehicle I drive... It's my vehicle... I bought it for me, not you... If you like it, great! I respect that... But you don't have to go out of your way to get my attention just to give me a "thumbs up." People who drive Toyota Camrys and Honda Civics can be snobs also...

3. I don't care who you are, if I don't know you, I won't let you sit in my vehicle... If you think I'm a snob, then sorry.... If I go to a friend's house and there are a bunch of enthusiasts there and they ask to see the engine, sure, I will open it up.... But sitting in a vehicle is different... I don't ask to sit in anyone else's vehicle either.... I give rides to friends and family....

4. You know marked passing zones are only recommendations... In most states there are laws that state you can pass in double-marked roads, as long as you have clear visibility for a certain distance... I usually set my car on cruise at 8 above the limit... I have zero traffic violations in over 20 years of driving...

5. If you state that you follow #4, then #5 doesn't make sense...

6. I donate to charity and community events in my own ways... My cars have absolutely nothing to do with my humanitarian endeavors...

7. I have nothing to hide... Why lie to people?

8. I am happy that I have owned the cars that I have... I realize that other people aren't as fortunate as I have been and I realize that there are plenty of other people that are even more fortunate than myself... I have a guy who lives near me that owns several true exotics.... Not once did I even ask him to look or ride in his vehicles... After a couple years of small talk, he asked me if I wanted to see any of them... I went for a ride in his Diablo SV, his Murcielago 670-4 SV, and an old Testarossa that he had... Although we are friends, I have never asked him to take me for a ride in his vehicles since, although he told me whenever I wanted to, I could...

In all, I am a car enthusiast... I have modded both my E55 and SuperSports to my liking... I enjoy driving my vehicles and perform much of the maintenance on them myself... But at the end of the day, I'm not going to act like a fool just to give someone a "thumbs up" because I like their vehicle...

Last edited by 06E55; 07-14-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
Originally Posted by kamilclk430
The defense attorney is for the unknown (most likely blind) AMG driver. How could he not see another benz? Who in here driving down the road does not notice another benz in the lane next to them? Better yet one that is an AMG?

If you see me on the road and you are driving an AMG pull into the nearest Starbucks we are talking hehehehe WAVE
Of course I recognize other MBs on the road... Just as I recognize Ferraris, Lambos, Porsches, etc.... Depending on the day I may or may not look to see if another MB is an AMG... But even if it is, I really could care less... I surely won't honk at you hoping to pull up to Starbucks to talk!!!!!
Old 07-14-2011, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 184 Likes on 152 Posts
SL55, S500
The SS is an amazing car. I've been drooling over it ever since I got a ride by a friend.

What color combo do you have? 5 seater version?

Any photos?
Old 07-14-2011, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Originally Posted by Lycan
All very good points, but like I said above...a very small percentage of motorists share the "enthusiast mindset" like we do. We're sitting on a forum talkin' bout it and they aren't. Most MB people that I have come across are people who bought the car for brand identification and that's about where it stays. They buy a BMW or MB and they're done with it. Most have no idea even what an AMG is and could care less. You'll still have the guy in the Honda Civic or Subaru STi with a K&N filter thinking he's gonna beat you. I might just cover my car with K&N stickers and pull up beside people on the freeway and demand that they chat with me !!!
+1 very true....
Old 07-14-2011, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cornfed gtr and m3
Of course I recognize other MBs on the road... Just as I recognize Ferraris, Lambos, Porsches, etc.... Depending on the day I may or may not look to see if another MB is an AMG... But even if it is, I really could care less... I surely won't honk at you hoping to pull up to Starbucks to talk!!!!!
Funny how you have the time to so thoroughly explain your reasoning for not acknowledging a fellow AMG driver, at least 5 posts so far in this thread documenting that fact, but just don't.... ehhhhh silver e55, I never wave to them.... have....dooh arm is tooo heavy can't lift it.....the gumption.....can not be bothered way too busy surfing MBworld on the iphone..... to wave....not in the mood today.... to a fellow amg driver.....must be that time of the month...... when you are out on the road.

Silver amg was just scared of the black beast Josh!!!
Old 07-14-2011, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 930chas
Funny how you have the time to so thoroughly explain your reasoning for not acknowledging a fellow AMG driver, at least 5 posts so far in this thread documenting that fact, but just don't.... ehhhhh silver e55, I never wave to them.... have....dooh arm is tooo heavy can't lift it.....the gumption.....can not be bothered way too busy surfing MBworld on the iphone..... to wave....not in the mood today.... to a fellow amg driver.....must be that time of the month...... when you are out on the road.

Silver amg was just scared of the black beast Josh!!!
It's not about time... It's the fact that I don't really care what vehicle you are driving... Neither should you care what vehicle I am driving...
Old 07-14-2011, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cornfed gtr and m3
It's not about time... It's the fact that I don't really care what vehicle you are driving... Neither should you care what vehicle I am driving...
I don't, but from this thread I now know it will either be a c300, e55 or Bentley SS. If I see any of those on the road down in your neck of the woods I am gonna be waving like a mooffffooooooooooo!!!
Old 07-14-2011, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Das Geld 2
The SS is an amazing car. I've been drooling over it ever since I got a ride by a friend.

What color combo do you have? 5 seater version?

Any photos?
It is Moroccan Blue with Linen and Porpoise interior... It is a convertible, so it is a 4 seater... I don't think there is a 5 seater version... You can get the coupe in the 2 seat version or the four seat version...
Old 07-14-2011, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't, but from this thread I now know it will either be a c300, e55 or Bentley SS. If I see any of those on the road down in your neck of the woods I am gonna be waving like a mooffffooooooooooo!!!
And I'll just ignore you!!!!
Old 07-14-2011, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cornfed gtr and m3
And I'll just ignore you!!!!
Hmmmm...let me get this straight, you respond repeatedly to my careless banter on this thread, but if I wave to you from my nicely modded e55....thank you Tal, I love this ***** so much (shameless plug: http://www.adv1wheels.com/blog/track...nsform-an-e55/) .... you will ignore me? That right there doesn't make sense. But either way, now, not only will I be waving like a moooofffffoooooo you will be talking cars with me at the local Starbucks as well!
Old 07-14-2011, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
You may not be a douche, but if you don't understand then you're certainly not an enthusiast in my book.

1. My cars will always be clean and well presentable. I will ensure that my cars are in the highest state of mechanical condition and maintenance. Exotics are indeed rare, and to see one is a special experience. I have an obligation to present these cars to others at a high standard.

2. I will always be polite, courteous, and friendly. I will not talk down to or ignore anyone, and I will cheerfully answer all questions. Exotic owners wrongly suffer from a "snob" label. By actively and always countering this, I will strive to change this perception among all whom I meet.

3. Where feasible, I will encourage inspection and observation of my cars. If someone is clean and courteous, I will encourage them to sit in my cars. I will actively encourage photographs. In particular, I will encourage this among younger children. On occasion, I will offer rides to admirers under the appropriate circumstances.

4. With one exception (see 5, below), I will obey all traffic laws or local traffic customs. Especially, I will pass other cars only in marked, safe passing zones, and I will always respect traffic speeds and noise ordinances within city limits. I will always drive in a defensive manner to protect myself and my vehicle. I will not initiate nor will I respond to challenges to race my cars on open public roads.

5. Operating my cars as God, Enzo, and Ferruccio (or Aufrecht and Melcher) intended will occur only on open, rural routes free of heavy traffic or on appropriately designated race courses. On public highways, I will use my highest powers of observation and diligence to ensure that I place myself, my vehicles, and the public in no additional danger. I will be aware of the environment and road conditions, and I will not drive at excessive speeds on unknown or suspect roads. When approaching blind corners or hills, I will assume that an obstacle exists and will take appropriate defensive measures.

6. I will share my passion and excitement for exotic cars with others through community service and charitable events. I will actively seek out community organizations such as local police departments and schools and offer my cars for use in events such as DARE programs, homecoming parades, pep rallies, etc. Many communities have "Make a Wish" foundations for sick children. If given the opportunity, I will offer a day with myself and my cars to such organizations in an effort to brighten an otherwise trying life for someone less fortunate than I.

7. I will be honest and open with other enthusiasts, and I will accurately represent my cars to prospective owners and buyers. I will keep complete records, and I will always follow up with purchasers of my cars to ensure that they continue to gain maximum satisfaction and appreciation for cars that I have owned and serviced.

8. I will always have a smile on my face when inspecting, driving, or showing my cars to others. I will never forget how fortunate I've been to own such automobiles and I will constantly remind myself that the future is uncertain, and that today may be as good as it gets.
stupidest, cheeiest, lamest, and most pompous list out there. Anybody who posts that deserves a steel tipped boot to the face.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
1. An AMG is hardly an exotic in my book.. It's not a Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Bugatti, Pagani, etc... Those are exotics in my book... I also own a Bentley Continental SuperSports and I don't consider this an exotic either... As far as keeping my vehicles clean, I take them to a car wash once a month or so... My wife's car (2009 C300) is a walking garbage can inside and out... If it wasn't for me cleaning it, it would never get washed or cleaned on the inside... It is black and has white spray paint all over it... Neither she nor I care... When I have time, maybe when the weather cools down, I will give it an alcohol bath and see what can be done.... My Bentley has mud all over the sides of the car from taking it to my friends house who lives off a long dirt road and it rained like hell for three or four days before I went there... It's been there for two weeks now... Big deal...

2. I am courteous... Never said I wasn't... I just don't see the need to be acknowledged for the vehicle I drive... It's my vehicle... I bought it for me, not you... If you like it, great! I respect that... But you don't have to go out of your way to get my attention just to give me a "thumbs up." People who drive Toyota Camrys and Honda Civics can be snobs also...

3. I don't care who you are, if I don't know you, I won't let you sit in my vehicle... If you think I'm a snob, then sorry.... If I go to a friend's house and there are a bunch of enthusiasts there and they ask to see the engine, sure, I will open it up.... But sitting in a vehicle is different... I don't ask to sit in anyone else's vehicle either.... I give rides to friends and family....

4. You know marked passing zones are only recommendations... In most states there are laws that state you can pass in double-marked roads, as long as you have clear visibility for a certain distance... I usually set my car on cruise at 8 above the limit... I have zero traffic violations in over 20 years of driving...

5. If you state that you follow #4, then #5 doesn't make sense...

6. I donate to charity and community events in my own ways... My cars have absolutely nothing to do with my humanitarian endeavors...

7. I have nothing to hide... Why lie to people?

8. I am happy that I have owned the cars that I have... I realize that other people aren't as fortunate as I have been and I realize that there are plenty of other people that are even more fortunate than myself... I have a guy who lives near me that owns several true exotics.... Not once did I even ask him to look or ride in his vehicles... After a couple years of small talk, he asked me if I wanted to see any of them... I went for a ride in his Diablo SV, his Murcielago 670-4 SV, and an old Testarossa that he had... Although we are friends, I have never asked him to take me for a ride in his vehicles since, although he told me whenever I wanted to, I could...

In all, I am a car enthusiast... I have modded both my E55 and SuperSports to my liking... I enjoy driving my vehicles and perform much of the maintenance on them myself... But at the end of the day, I'm not going to act like a fool just to give someone a "thumbs up" because I like their vehicle...
someone with some sense.

good for you and I agree completely. That said, porsches aren't anywhere near exotics.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Oliverk
someone with some sense.

good for you and I agree completely. That said, porsches aren't anywhere near exotics.
True, but it is more so than an AMG!
Old 07-14-2011, 07:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
996tt

There's a lot of gay in that list.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:27 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,393 Likes on 2,840 Posts
2012 CLS63
modern day men..............awesome..........................

Old 07-15-2011, 12:34 AM

2004 E55
lol.

ok, about that list....

If I was fortunate enough to own an exotic car I wouldn't give a crap what people thought if my car was dirty or if I didn't feel like giving them a lecture about the history and how awesome the car is. And I wouldn't care about going to some lame parade or a facking pep rally. Why would anyone want to go to a pep rally? To pick up 14 year old chicks? That list is ultra
Old 07-15-2011, 04:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Anyone who has to think about whether they are an enthusiast or not - is not an enthusiast. And there is no rule book!

I will always appreciate ANY well presented / tastefully modified car, be it a Golf, Mini, Rolls or whatever, does not have to be an exotic, or expensive.

And if the oportunity arises I will let the owner know I appreciate their car. If they dont respond... well ... I cant recall that ever happening really. Its pretty easy to tell if a car is driven by an enthusiast or not.

I think in your case the chap was propably arming his Meth kit - or just had a bad day - it happens! Or mbe the driver at the time is not the owner?

I take pride in all my cars.... and treat them all the same.

My name is Steve, and I love cars.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by stevebez
Anyone who has to think about whether they are an enthusiast or not - is not an enthusiast. And there is no rule book!

I will always appreciate ANY well presented / tastefully modified car, be it a Golf, Mini, Rolls or whatever, does not have to be an exotic, or expensive.

And if the oportunity arises I will let the owner know I appreciate their car. If they dont respond... well ... I cant recall that ever happening really. Its pretty easy to tell if a car is driven by an enthusiast or not.

I think in your case the chap was propably arming his Meth kit - or just had a bad day - it happens! Or mbe the driver at the time is not the owner?

I take pride in all my cars.... and treat them all the same.

My name is Steve, and I love cars.
The thing is, there are places for that... If I go to a car show, that's one thing... If I go to a race track, that's another... But I do not and will not go out of my way to give someone a "thumbs up" while on a public road. There are more important things to worry about at that time (like maybe your driving)...
Old 07-15-2011, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by hyperion667
modern day men..............awesome..........................

what does that have to do with anything?
Old 07-15-2011, 11:33 AM

E55, 911 Carrera, CLK350 Cab, Expedition - kid mover & huntin' truck
My experience is that Porsche drivers, particularly of older ones, usually acknowledge each other with a wave, flash or thumbs up. AMG drivers not so much.

There are a lot of AMGs on the road and many of them are driven by guys that just bought an expensive car, not necessarily auto enthusiasts.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
I'm probably gonna get flamed for this, but something about the MB brand attracts douchebags. Sure there are many down to earth enthusiasts and generally cool owners, but by in large the community is pretty ****ty compared to others like the Corvette or Ferrari community. Just my .02, ymmv.
No flame here. I never got the courtesy back from other AMG, M, S, fcar, pcar, lambo owners when I'd see them. Always try to wave and thumbs up. But you're right, some cars just attract douche bags... And quite possibly people that own such cars are none to the wiser anymore due to the fact that you never know what you're going to get on the road these days.... A wave, A middle finger, who knows. Sometimes it's just better to mind your own business and pay attention to the road.

Hmmmm...let me get this straight, you respond repeatedly to my careless banter on this thread, but if I wave to you from my nicely modded e55....thank you Tal, I love this ***** so much (shameless plug: http://www.adv1wheels.com/blog/track...nsform-an-e55/) .... you will ignore me? That right there doesn't make sense. But either way, now, not only will I be waving like a moooofffffoooooo you will be talking cars with me at the local Starbucks as well!
I love your car Charlie. *tears*

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cruisin down the 5(in my E55) today and got dissed by fellow E55 (nicely modded).