W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking US spec E63 to Canada...what do I have to do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 51 Posts
'94 NSX,'99 NSX Z,'12 C63 Black Series (Prior: '07 E63, '08 CLK63 Black Series,'14 E63-S & 16 C63-S)
Taking US spec E63 to Canada...what do I have to do?

I searched and found threads that actually had opposing information, so I am looking for someone who has recently done this to help me clarify what is true, and what is not.

I may be moving to Ontario with my wife and child, and need to know what the minimum is that I need to do in order to make my '07 E63 AMG compliant with Canadian law, and able to be registered and insured properly in Ontario. I like the car, and have put a majority of the miles on it, so I want to keep it rather than sell it and go for another one up there (that is more expensive and where I would be starting over again on maintenance).

So who has actually done this recently and knows what really has to be done? I have had read where people say you only have to spend around $1,500 and others have claimed you have to spend $8,000 and more to get the conversion and compliance done, so that I why I am looking for clarification.

Thank you.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL55, 1978 280SL, 2007 ML63
Good place to start is http://www.riv.ca

Last edited by .trunzx; 08-29-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Haters crazy
I brought my e55 over to BC, from the states, so the process should be the same. You will need a Vehicle recall letter from a Benz dealership, showing their are no open recalls. (print out of the history).

If you want to transfer the factory warranty, you will need to take the car over to mercedes in Canada, so they can butt rail you, and charge $4-5k to change the odometer and turn on the drls.

If you dont have factory warranty remaining you are fine. Not sure if CPO transfers.

All you need to do is,

Show the inspection facility the digital read out in KM/H

You need to make sure the DRLs are active, they can be turned on/off on US spec cars.

Make sure all stickers, eg tire pressure etc are still located on the cars frame (driver side door)

No check engine lights, etc

When car starts it should show the airbag/srs for few secs and turn off

I paid, 6.1% duty, 12% tax (BC) on my car... but since you already own the car call the Canada Border Agency and get more info. As for other fees $204 RIV fee, $100 federal/provincial Inspection. Checkout RIV.CA for full import guide.

Last edited by tbal; 08-29-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:48 PM

I should add, as far as modifying the car its simple things like Daytime running lights (enabled through menus on steering wheel) and a child restraint anchor (I don't remember if I had to install this when I imported my car or if the w211 already comes equipped with it).

The most difficult modification is a Canadian spec instrument cluster. I've heard people have spent thousands at the dealer getting one fitted. I found a way to get around it for cheap though.

I created an image of the cluster but with Km markings on it:
Taking US spec E63 to Canada...what do I have to do?-hzpik.jpg

After I had that layout i printed it out on a transparent sheet of paper (kinda like the ones used on old projectors). I then took apart my instrument cluster and taped that paper over the cluster.

Taking US spec E63 to Canada...what do I have to do?-a3hag.jpg

It might be a little more difficult for you because the background on the e63 is black, however if you print the numbers in white instead of black it might work. Its not the prettiest solution but you only need it for a day then you can remove it. I have the PSD file if you use photoshop if you want it.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
Can't you just switch the readout (digital) to kmh and avoid all of that crap?
Old 08-29-2011, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Haters crazy
Originally Posted by 06E55
Can't you just switch the readout (digital) to kmh and avoid all of that crap?
Yes see post 3!
Old 08-29-2011, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by tbal
Yes see post 3!
Depends entirely on the inspector. If you take it to mercedes they will try to sell you a new cluster, along with lots of other stuff. Canadian tire might pass you with just the read out but again it depends on the person. I've had cars fail for much less than that in the past.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Haters crazy
Originally Posted by .trunzx
Depends entirely on the inspector. If you take it to mercedes they will try to sell you a new cluster, along with lots of other stuff. Canadian tire might pass you with just the read out but again it depends on the person. I've had cars fail for much less than that in the past.
As far as I've seen, and from all the cars I've brought from the states, a digital read out has been ok with 3-4 different Canadian tires in my area. Perhaps ask them before hand, rather than spending $ on a cluster.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
CLS55 AMG
yup km/h digital read out is perfectly OK. you can turn on DRLs in your cluster settings. that's all canadian tire looks at. and the airbags and child restraint things... when i took my CLS there, it took them all of 10 mins to finish the paperwork... now the provincial inspection is a bit more intensive, but if you find a guy in your area that will pass the car for a little extra, thats the easiest way...
Old 08-30-2011, 12:42 AM

CLK55 '05 CLK320 '02

$4-5k to change the odometer and turn on the drls.
wow thats a lot I wanted to change my odometer to km/h but thats just ridicules!!
Old 08-30-2011, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Haters crazy
Originally Posted by hami
wow thats a lot I wanted to change my odometer to km/h but thats just ridicules!!
Well thats the stealership saying **** you for buying a USA car, and not a CDN one lol

Odometer is probably few hundred bucks? Plus programming...
Old 08-30-2011, 01:21 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
mercedes 71 280sl. Porsche 930 . Ducati mh900 and ps1000
Just did it
You need to go with Mercedes for the mods (start /stop botton), some headlight brackets......around 3000 of work if you want to keep your warranty ( the extended could never be transferred)
If you do not care for warranty or it is expired than all you need is to turn on you drl from the steering wheel and put he digital speedo in km/h.if you car was made after march 07
There will be a gas tax up to 4000 at the border
Read this link
http://autoexportauction.blogspot.co...-vehicles.html
I was so lucky my 07 e63 was built in Jan 07 so I was exempt
I emailed you my number I you want more info
Old 08-30-2011, 03:06 PM

CLK55 '05 CLK320 '02
Well thats the stealership saying **** you for buying a USA car, and not a CDN one lol

Odometer is probably few hundred bucks? Plus programming...
its going to suck more when I ship my car t saudi arabia

where can i find an odometer for that cheap?
Old 08-30-2011, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
CLS55 AMG
they pop up on ebay.de once in a while for around 400 Euro for an AMG one...
Old 08-30-2011, 03:11 PM

CLK55 '05 CLK320 '02
i'll keep an eye out
Old 08-30-2011, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Is the car still in warranty? Do you care about that?

All you need for the RIV process into Ontario is

1. Recall Clearance from your Dealer and Letter of admissibility from MB Canada ( http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/content/...ssibility.html)

2. Export the car with US Customs- Basically fax the title to the border you are crossing 72 hours in advance

3. Drive the car to the border and export it on the US Side ( basically go in, and present the original Title and they stamp it)...now head for the Canadian side.

4. On the Candian side begin RIV process with "Form 1" at customs. As it's your vehicle and you are moving here, you should not need to pay duty or HST, but you might want to double check that with Canada Customs. You will need to pay RIV fee of $195 + HST

5. Get the car inspected at Canadian tire to complete "form 2" of the RIV Process ( DRL's, Child seat anchors and Speedo only thing they really Check. You also need the Ontario Safety inspection and Emissions Test. Most Canadian Tire's Can do all of the above.

6. Complete RIV process by submitting the stamped "form 1 and 2" to the RIV along with the recall clearance and admissibility form via fax, or if in Toronto, just drive it over and do it there.

7. Take all the RIV paperwork, and the e-test and Safety Cert ( and proof of insurance) to ministry of drivers and licenses and get your plates

8. Lay a huge burnout in the parking lot to welcome your AMG to Ontario!(Optional)

If you want the car "compliant" AKA MB speak for ripping you off so you can have warranty, then you need to go to MB where they will try and gouge you for changing Speedo, and keyless go to bilingual + adding french lables to all kinds of ****. F.uck every last second of that noise as it will be a few g's for sure, and I doub't an 07 has much warranty left on it.

PM me for any more info, or the skinny on the MB scene up here. Where are you moving to btw?

Last edited by KLR CLS; 08-30-2011 at 04:41 PM.