Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SBC Hold on the E55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 04:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SBC Hold on the E55?

Does SBC Hold exist on ROW E55s? If it does, has anyone investigated getting the SBC Hold feature activated on a US E55? I think it's an awesome feature that I'd LOVE to have, so if it's something I can get working by changing the car's setting from US to Rest Of the World, I'd do it.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:11 PM

2000 S500 Brilliant Silver, 1990 BMW 735iL, 1971 Pontiac Trans Am 455 HO, 1976 Pontiac Formula 400
Sorry, but what is SBC?
Thanks
Old 06-13-2003, 09:34 PM

This thread will explain it better but basically it's a way to hold the car still at a stoplight without having your foot on the brake.
Old 06-14-2003, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55, F550, S600 Ducati 999
I don't have the SBC hold feature on my car.
Old 06-15-2003, 01:51 AM

Dear Kaneman,

I notice that you have in your signature that you are thankful that your 98 GS is gone. Can you tell me why?

I have a 99 GS400. I can't wait to get rid of it. I use to work at Toyota headquarters and have had the following:
94 ES300
95 GS300
96 LS400
97 ES300
99 GS400

This GS has been the most fun, but I have had all kinds of problem. That is one of the reason why I am switching boat. Also, because DaimlerChysler is our client now too.

amgB
Old 06-15-2003, 01:38 PM

Frankly the car was a piece of *****! It was the first year it was offered and had CONSTANT problems. I had the 17" sport suspension and wheels and they were awful, the car had horrible vibration problems more often than not. At times the wheel would vibrate at certain speeds like an out of balance clothesdryer! I went through three sets of wheels and four sets of tires, never got fixed. Also, various problems with the ECU (headlights turning on inexplicably and not going back off again, killing the battery, alarm going off at 3 am for no good reason and never turning off, again draining the battery). Plus, although it had great power it really didn't perform well at all. I recall hustling it through the mountains of West Virginia on a long haul drive from Texas to DC and there was no joy in it, the car didn't like the work at all. Contrast that with every car I've had since... I'd NEVER go back to Lexus.
Old 06-15-2003, 08:50 PM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Interesting...I currently own a 98 GS400, and am looking at hte E55 as my next step, however I have not had THAT many issues. My issues have been with abnormal inside wear that Lexus will not admit fault to, and as you state, the inability to get the car to drive as smooth as it did when we first got it. Power has been great, and chaning to wider tires and wheels along with intake and exhaust mods, made it a fun car. But with their inability to continue bettering the product and trying to pursue the performance sedan market, MB is the way to go.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:42 AM

Thanks for your response. I use to look at clublexus for other people to tell them about my problems.

First I had the vibration issue at 60 mph. The way around that is not to drive 60 mph. Then I changed tires and it was better.

Then I had the throttle problem. When you hit the throttle, it would take a long time before it decided to downshift. They said, oh, you need the new ECU. I got it. Not much better. Answer, unplug the fuse to the ECU every 2K miles and the ECU needs to relearn your driving. Right now when I drive around a corner, I hit the accelerator about 1 second before I need the power to get out of a turn to get it just right. Stupid.

Then was the stalling. My car stalled while in the drive through of McDonalds, or at a red light. They never found out what was wrong. Once, I tried to get on the 5 freeway going to SF out in the middle of Cal, I stepped on it to accelerate and the car just died right on the freeway. Luckily, the semi truck coming was far away. Then, the worst. The GS stalled on the 91 freeway while I was doing 60 mph. Drove it to the dealership right away and I couldnt' make it. I was 1 exit away and they came and got me. The service mgr replaced the throttle and that hasn't happen since, but my idle is ruff again, which is what started the last time it started stalling at lights.

Replaced 2 batteries in 5 years.
1 Started Unit
4 ECU
1 Throttle body
1 Cup holder
1 Throttle sensor
and more, just can't remember.

I called Lexus Cust. Service. They were useless.
I was going to call my friend to ask the VP of Toyota for a new car, but since I am in the car business, that would kill my reputation.

I hope my experience with the new E55 is better.

amgB
Old 06-16-2003, 01:45 AM

Amazingly enough I've had great luck with all the benzes I've had so far. They've had problems but only very niggly ones (my C32 has the squeaky suspension which will be fixed with new bushings and had the supercharger cut-out problem which was cured with a wiring fix). Nothing mysterious or impossible to fix however... I think you'll find the experience FAR more enjoyable.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:27 AM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
OH YEA, forgot about the rough idle. Fix? Have your air on all the time. I noticed this today again, when driving around with no AC, windows down, and sitting at a light. Turned the AC on anyway..and voila...fixed. POS.

Benzes have their little things that go wrong, but nothing big like I've seen many BMW. AND I was ready to buy an M5 anyway, but now that benz has a formidable competitor, I am going that direction.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:40 PM

You are right about the rough idle. Turning on the air will fix that. How stupid is that though. I tried turning on the headlights and that helps a little bit, but not as good as the air condition unit.

My steering is now making a weird noise when I turn it 90 degrees to park in a parking lot. I just can't wait for the 04 E55 to come out.

amgB
Old 06-16-2003, 01:59 PM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Yes, all those were very annoying. Another thing that was a warranty fix was the loud noise from the steering column in hot weather, as well as the creak from the sunroof that has yet to be fixed.

Now, my hardest choice is how long can I hold on to it so that i get an 04 E55 at an ideal time. I suppose after this winter.