W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autoscope E55 Pulley Install Nightmare-Read if you are thinking going to Autoscope

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG, TUNDRA PLATINUM, Concours 14 Sold,TRX 700XX Sold
Exclamation Autoscope E55 Pulley Install Nightmare-Read if you are thinking of going to Autoscope

All, I just wanted to share a piece of a related thread concerning another install of my TTM TB by Autoscope. I cannot say as to what kind of work they do in all cases, I can only relay what happend in my situation as now I have some issues and I am hesitant to have them work on my car. I'm sure they do many fine things and not all my work was bad, but the pulley install on my car was a complete nightmare and caused me an additional $4000 including travel back from being stranded and you should know that this is what happened.

Bramage, thanks so much for the writeup. This definitely helpful. I'm hesitant to go back to Autoscope because they installed my pulley and fell off in the 1st week. Consequently, i've gone through numberous pulleys and shredded belts culminating in my last intall with them when i went to an asp pulley and TB & Rail kit. The next day the bolt backed out and left me stranded 300 miles from home as the pulley fell off and shredded all of the belts and this was their response:

Kaylan, thank you for keeping us up to date on the progress of your car and the situation as a whole.

As the car is coming back together again, I understand you want this situation resolved so that you can reunite with your car ASAP.

I feel that I need to be clear on where Autoscope stands as of today:

To date there has been zero documentation that Autoscope has performed any installations incorrectly. All parts have been provided by you, as the client, and installed per your request. We have worked alongside Eurocharged in replacing parts performing repairs based again, upon your request. Autoscope has already extended over $3000+ worth of labor and repairs to help the situation.

So, unless there is actual / factual proof that Autoscope caused any of these failures, I would ask that you stop including Autoscope in your expectations of reimbursements.

So you see why I am reluctant that they will take any responsiblility if their response ablove is any indication. And this is how they treat a person who has spent almost $10,000 in their shop since May.

I had to pay an additional $3000 to M-Power Houston to fix the mess with keyway-which I'm told was damaged when the 1st pulley came off and never proper fixed causing all the rest to not seat correctly-- and I've not had any propblems since the MPower Install with the pulley.

I'm not an ASE mechanic but logic dictates that if Autoscope put a pulley on and the bolt backs out the next day and MPower Houston puts a Pulley from the same supplier on with no problems, is that a part problem or who installed it?

I'm only stating undisbutable facts at what happened to me and their response. Autoscope has always been professional, however the real character of a business isn't when things are all good, it's when something goes wrong and how they deal with it.

All I know is this, I didn't install the pulley and I paid big $ for them to do it, even paying out of my own pocket 1 previous time over $1000 because they had me convinced it was a part problem and not their fault.

So not to derail the conversation, but at the very least I'm very dissappointed in how Autoscope has chosen to address this issue.

Consequently, I appreciate you're info because I believe I'm on my own on this one.

Thanks

P.S.
They had to do my valve cover gasket on passenger side 3 times and the motor mount they replaced needs to be replaced again.

Given this would you let Autoscope fix you car again? Or, maybe I'm wrongheaded on my assessment.

Last edited by keksixsigma; 12-01-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Sounds like a joke of a company. I have never heard of them anyways.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:22 PM

Also, I have to recognize Ted at M-Power & Shardul as they were instramental in getting me on the road again. Without them the car would still be parked. They are 100% good people and tru brothers in the car world. Thanks again guys!
Old 11-30-2011, 05:27 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Glad to Help
Old 11-30-2011, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Thanks to share your story and hopefully people in Texas area realize not go to autoscope. At least now its solve.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
Did Shardul help put the pulley back on? Is it staying put?

I am glad my ramble was helpful. None of us like to have issues, and none of us wants to throw money away.

Most of what you have encountered has happened before, and it is unfortunate, but the shop seems to be indemnifying themslfs when clearly they made some mistakes.

They don't want to lose money, but if they F -up, they need to fix it.

How is your car running?
Did you do throttle body reset?
Did you get the code from other thread?

Let us know, we truly are here to help.. and call each other douches!
Old 11-30-2011, 06:32 PM

2010 E350, 2011 ML350, 2003 996TT
Autoscope built my car and it runs fine.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Did you pay with a credit card? If so, you can dispute it. They will do a chargeback and investigate the retailer. End of the day, cc company wants to make sure you are happy with your product/service purchased with it. I pretty much buy everything on my amex or citicard.

Sucks that they deny their install caused damage and future damages you had....Thats why i'm hesitant to get a pulley done....installer effs up, i'm out of a car and be stuck like you..
Old 12-01-2011, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Bramage
Did Shardul help put the pulley back on? Is it staying put?

I am glad my ramble was helpful. None of us like to have issues, and none of us wants to throw money away.

Most of what you have encountered has happened before, and it is unfortunate, but the shop seems to be indemnifying themslfs when clearly they made some mistakes.

They don't want to lose money, but if they F -up, they need to fix it.

How is your car running?
Did you do throttle body reset?
Did you get the code from other thread?

Let us know, we truly are here to help.. and call each other douches!
Shardul was my coordinator with Ted as I live in DFW while the car was in the shop. I cannot get the code and was thinking of making a trip down to Houston to get it looked at plus get the motor mount taken car of. I'm afrad that there is a leak in the TB from gasket, or something but I need to get the code an don't know anyone with a code reader here. Now, it has not gone off in 2 weeks straight so something has worsened. Sometimes the idle is rough, and sometimes not, it still runs strong, but this has been worst experience I've ever had with installation of parts-should it turn out to be what we suspect.

I will say, they did my headers and trunk tank, no issues, knock on wood.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by BlkE55K
Autoscope built my car and it runs fine.
When did they do your car, before may 2011? Word is they have a new tech that worked on my car.

Last edited by keksixsigma; 12-01-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by novae500
Did you pay with a credit card? If so, you can dispute it. They will do a chargeback and investigate the retailer. End of the day, cc company wants to make sure you are happy with your product/service purchased with it. I pretty much buy everything on my amex or citicard.

Sucks that they deny their install caused damage and future damages you had....Thats why i'm hesitant to get a pulley done....installer effs up, i'm out of a car and be stuck like you..
That's good advice. I will investigate.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 63S
Hey Kaylan glad you finally posted up your story as painful as it's been and as I said I feel your pain bro. Even though Autoscope say you provided the parts they are still liable for the installation issues. In my situation i claimed the damages against the shop that did the original install. They had Nationwide insurance and they covered the replacement engine and all other repairs which totaled close on $17K!

As you've said props to Shardul and Ted for getting her back on the road.

As far as your TB is concerned run by Autozone and have them scan the car or better yet buy a OBDII reader and kept it in the car.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by grantwoodtx
Hey Kaylan glad you finally posted up your story as painful as it's been and as I said I feel your pain bro. Even though Autoscope say you provided the parts they are still liable for the installation issues. In my situation i claimed the damages against the shop that did the original install. They had Nationwide insurance and they covered the replacement engine and all other repairs which totaled close on $17K!

As you've said props to Shardul and Ted for getting her back on the road.

As far as your TB is concerned run by Autozone and have them scan the car or better yet buy a OBDII reader and kept it in the car.
Thanks Grant, this is just a mess. I just ordered a scan tool. http://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/p...d/obdlink.html

Figured it would be a good long term buy. I bought the ScanXL software with it.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:44 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
That is a disappointing story. For those that don't know, Autoscope is not some fly by night operation. It is a very large and very well established independent. They've been in business 20 years that I can remember and have a good reputation for work done right.

That said, I don't go there anymore. I've found the dealer charges less, so what's the point.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
There are a couple of things that can factor in:

• If the shop is very busy / in a rush (Short cuts)
  • The technician is not competent or comprehensive

I have had some very ****ty work done by some well established shops, and when that has happened, one (or more) of the above listed factors was present.

I have literally paid good money to have things done, only to get home and do it right myself. The fact that this organization may have a good reputation, that in itself does not preclude the shop from being responsible for shoddy work.

Sometimes, people just have a bad day.

If the shop says: "Not our fault" when a pulley falls off- I would find another shop, and simply take them to small claims.. I would not hesitate one second to be made whole financially, and the civil judicial system is well aware of the baloney that goes on, even with "trusted mechanics" .
Old 12-02-2011, 06:38 PM

good insights, guys helping me figure things out. Autscope replies here and claims no responsibility and blames part even though 2 differnt suppliers fell off and M-Power used same supplier asp, and no problems.
http://www.**************.com/forum/...t=18782&page=4
Old 12-02-2011, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E63, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
Never had any problems when I go there, or anyone I know...
Old 12-02-2011, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by citylightva
Never had any problems when I go there, or anyone I know...
Yes its intereting that they would treat me this way. Did you or anyone you are speaking get a pulley put on a 55 amg motor this summer?
Old 12-02-2011, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Always exceptions, and it only takes only small mistake to screw up a pulley install with resulting consequences.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E63, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
Nope no pullies...All 63 motors...Mostly long tubes and stuff...I do most of my own stuff now, so I can't really say I go anywhere that often...