W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Water Level become less & the Oil Become White??? Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2011 | 02:15 PM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Water Level become less & the Oil Become White??? Please Help!!

Hi everybody!

I own a CLS55 AMG MY 2006 and they suggest me to post in this thread as you have knowledge for the kind of engine!

Every two days its coming the message "CHECK COOLANT" (is not showing any water leaking) and the water level become down, at the same time I am checking the Oil Cap and Oil become like White Color. When I am putting water and driving again I am checking again the oil and is coming perfect.

I did service and I change from the front of the engine cover the sealing for water and oil (were destroyed), water pipe from cooler to engine replaced, engine belt & v belt replace, kompressor rotor replaced. Two times change oil, oil filter replace, oil sensor which is under the engine replace.

I AM REALLY WORRY FOR THIS PROBLEM AND I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT IS GOING WRONG WITH THE CAR BECAUSE IS DRIVING PERFECT AND THERE IS NO WHITE SMOKE OR HIGH TEMPRATURE

Please I need your help and advices....!! Thanks
Old 12-01-2011 | 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Headgasket. Do a leakdown test.
Old 12-01-2011 | 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Hello Head gasket failure

I wouldn't drive it until you get it fixed
Old 12-01-2011 | 02:33 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Yup, typical head gasket failure symptom. Of course, it could be a cracked block also, but most likely not.
Old 12-01-2011 | 06:36 PM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Thanks for your quick reply and your support.

As you said propably is headgaskets but is it normal that the car drives smoothly?

Is that a big problem or I have to change gaskets and thats all?
Old 12-01-2011 | 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
well it's not a small job to change a head gasket. especially if you've been driving it like that for a while, the heads are probably warped and need to be machined.... good luck if you dont have warranty
Old 12-01-2011 | 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by priamosgr
Thanks for your quick reply and your support.

As you said propably is headgaskets but is it normal that the car drives smoothly?

Is that a big problem or I have to change gaskets and thats all?
It could be that it blew only a portion of the gasket where an oil galley meets a coolant galley. The car will run fine like this, except that it's life will be shortened for obvious reasons.
Old 12-01-2011 | 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
You said you checked the oil again and it looked perfect? But based off your description, i am going to have to say head gasket as well. Like someone said earlier, do a leakdown. You can also pressurize the coolant system and see if there is a leak as well. Good luck.

Aaron
Old 12-01-2011 | 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
I'd suggest you stop driving immediately till your sure the coolant isn't getting into the oil. This will kill the engine bearings and cause you to have to rebuild the whole engine.

I'm confused about you saying the oil was white once, then later looked fine again. How exactly did you check? If you did get coolant mixing with the oil and starting to look like a milk shake it will not separate back out and look like clean oil again.
Old 12-02-2011 | 06:29 AM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by BBBSS
I'd suggest you stop driving immediately till your sure the coolant isn't getting into the oil. This will kill the engine bearings and cause you to have to rebuild the whole engine.

I'm confused about you saying the oil was white once, then later looked fine again. How exactly did you check? If you did get coolant mixing with the oil and starting to look like a milk shake it will not separate back out and look like clean oil again.
Actually the oil is not always like that, as I went to garage and we remove the oil and it was normal. When the water level become down and then I am checking the oil cap only that time the oil become white.
Old 12-02-2011 | 06:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
If the oil cap itself ha some white stuff on it and the actual oil looked normal your ok. The white stuff on the bottom of the fill cap accumulates over time if you drive the car and turn it off before its had time to fully warm up and burn off any condensation that was in the motor.

The engine getting hot and cold will cause condensation on the inside and outside of the motor. The stuff inside needs to burn off slowly from the hot engine. It turns to steam and will accumulate on the highest points of the motor such ad the bottom of the oil cap. You can find this on many different motors especially if they make short trips often.

The water has to be going somewhere though if it keeps going low. No signs of leaks under the car or stains on the motor anywhere? Have you noticed any white smoke from the exhaust or has the coolant overflow reservoir boiled over?
Old 12-02-2011 | 06:59 AM

2006 CLS55 AMG
If the oil cap itself ha some white stuff on it and the actual oil looked normal your ok. The white stuff on the bottom of the fill cap accumulates over time if you drive the car and turn it off before its had time to fully warm up and burn off any condensation that was in the motor.

The engine getting hot and cold will cause condensation on the inside and outside of the motor. The stuff inside needs to burn off slowly from the hot engine. It turns to steam and will accumulate on the highest points of the motor such ad the bottom of the oil cap. You can find this on many different motors especially if they make short trips often.

The water has to be going somewhere though if it keeps going low. No signs of leaks under the car or stains on the motor anywhere? Have you noticed any white smoke from the exhaust or has the coolant overflow reservoir boiled over?

Thats the strange thing that the oil is not become always white color, I didnt see any leaking down or in the engine, Tomorrow I will visit the garage.

If the gasket will be broken the oil should be always white correct??
Old 12-02-2011 | 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Your intercooler may be leaking. Might be worth a check.
Old 12-02-2011 | 06:06 PM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Hi, if the intercooler is leaking shouldn't see water under the car?
Old 12-02-2011 | 06:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
If your coolant got into your oil it would look like milk shake. And if it did look like that then it won't magically fix itself. I'm not sure if you are saying just the cap looked like that or the oil itself did. Most likely head gasket if it was the actual oil and not just the cap. Give it time and your oil will look like that again. Keep driving on it and you will need an engine rebuild at a minimum
Old 12-03-2011 | 06:31 AM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
If your coolant got into your oil it would look like milk shake. And if it did look like that then it won't magically fix itself. I'm not sure if you are saying just the cap looked like that or the oil itself did. Most likely head gasket if it was the actual oil and not just the cap. Give it time and your oil will look like that again. Keep driving on it and you will need an engine rebuild at a minimum
Thats the point, only the cap sometimes has this color. many times I went to garage and remove the oil and it was normal color...
Old 12-03-2011 | 06:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If its only the filler cap your fine. It's from condensation in the motor burning off and turning to steam.
Old 12-03-2011 | 07:06 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
If its only the filler cap your fine. It's from condensation in the motor burning off and turning to steam.
This.

So you are saying the oil was never white like the thread title says. After you did the service was the coolant system fully bled? If not this is why your coolant level is going down. Make sure you have no air in the system
Old 12-03-2011 | 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Just do a leakdown test and a radiator pressure test and be done with it.
Old 12-03-2011 | 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
I also wonder if it could be a cracked intercooler core. What you describe was characteristic of some C32 AMGs (including my old one) whereby the intercooler core cracks and water leaks out into the engine as the fluid passes through the cooler.

I invite your attention to the following thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...servoir-2.html
Old 12-03-2011 | 12:22 PM

2006 CLS55 AMG
ok guys, i will do a leakdown test and coolant pressure test and I will see what is going on.

Thanks for your advises.