W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine torquing too much. HELP...again.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Engine torquing too much. HELP...again.

Making so many threads is getting very annoying.

I had my motor mounts replaced about a year ago or, if not less, and well...my motor began moving a lot when revving at idle(only revved at idle to listen to motor, not show off lol)

Does anyone have an under hood video while revving? Maybe I'm just paranoid, but to me it seems as if the mounts are bad...again, or weren't installed properly. There is a lot of movement.

Last edited by Mantooth; 02-06-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
Heard of people going through motor mounts in a few months or a year on here. I send energy suspension an email about possibly doing something for motor/trans mounts for these cars but never heard back.

Try to take a look around the motor mounts for any leaking oil. My understanding is these are filled with oil and leak when they go bad.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:17 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by BBBSS
Heard of people going through motor mounts in a few months or a year on here. I send energy suspension an email about possibly doing something for motor/trans mounts for these cars but never heard back.

Try to take a look around the motor mounts for any leaking oil. My understanding is these are filled with oil and leak when they go bad.
Thanks, good to know. I'll put it on a lift tomorrow and check it out. They're covered under warranty, thankfully.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ducati
How much movement are you seeing?

Inch, foot, mile?
Old 02-07-2012, 01:52 AM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by justinwrock
How much movement are you seeing?

Inch, foot, mile?
A meter.

But seriously, it looks to be about 3 inches. I'll check again in the morning.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:31 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever we're tuning!
Test the mounts in D and R and compare the amount of movement.

These mounts have an anchor bolt so, even if the top is torn, there will be a lot less movement than other mounts. Leaking mounts simply means that they have been broken for quite awhile and the top is completely torn and the anchor inside the mount is pulling the fluid out of the top. Because there is a boot on top of the mount, it is hard to see it broken until you do the D and R test. The amount of movement will show you whether it is broken or not.

Good luck.

PS Use only MB OEM mounts. I spoke to ProThane about building mounts and they wanted an initial order of 50 sets to develop them for me.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Does it look like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tozRk2uzb9A
Old 02-07-2012, 01:30 PM
BTT

2005 E55 K1, 1967 Chevy truck LS 408 turbo 650whp, Range Rover Sport,
I just had some mounts made of polyurethane and rubber that I will likely never need to replace. At first we started with just poly but there was more vibration than I wanted. We then added a rubber piece to help absorb some of the vibration and it is pretty good now. There is a slight vibration when accelerating at low rpm and when sitting in drive. When cruising you do not notice it at all. It may be my imagination but it does seem a little more responsive to throttle.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:01 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by TTMotorsports
Test the mounts in D and R and compare the amount of movement.

These mounts have an anchor bolt so, even if the top is torn, there will be a lot less movement than other mounts. Leaking mounts simply means that they have been broken for quite awhile and the top is completely torn and the anchor inside the mount is pulling the fluid out of the top. Because there is a boot on top of the mount, it is hard to see it broken until you do the D and R test. The amount of movement will show you whether it is broken or not.

Good luck.

PS Use only MB OEM mounts. I spoke to ProThane about building mounts and they wanted an initial order of 50 sets to develop them for me.
Awesome, thanks! I only use OEM motor mounts.

Originally Posted by Jakpro1
No, thankfully.

Originally Posted by BTT
I just had some mounts made of polyurethane and rubber that I will likely never need to replace. At first we started with just poly but there was more vibration than I wanted. We then added a rubber piece to help absorb some of the vibration and it is pretty good now. There is a slight vibration when accelerating at low rpm and when sitting in drive. When cruising you do not notice it at all. It may be my imagination but it does seem a little more responsive to throttle.
That's awesome. Any pictures of the mount itself?