W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solar trickle charger / Cig Lighter socket

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E55K AMG
Solar trickle charger / Cig Lighter socket

Hi,

read the various other posts regarding trickle chargers connecting straight to the batteries which is fine.

But is anyone using a solar power trickle charger conected through the Cig Lighter socket to supply charge to the batteries. This will save me running a mains lead into the drive way and having other things showing outdoors.

Is this a good idea, given the cars electronics?

Will it trickle charge both batteries or actually do nothing due to the split charging system?

Cheers

Last edited by £ C43 £ AMG £; 02-26-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
I have done this on one of my other vehicles and yes it maintained the battery year round.
On the MB you would need to confirm that the cig lighter is constantly on with the vehicle off. If not, you can changed the fuse location to correct the aforementioned.
Second, I do not believe it would charged the aux battery. You would need to run an additional panel and hardwire a socket to that battery.
Last concern, do you get enough sun over there to make this worthwhile?
Old 02-26-2012, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
Originally Posted by £ C43 £ AMG £
Hi,

read the various other posts regarding trickle chargers connecting straight to the batteries which is fine.

But is anyone using a solar power trickle charger conected through the Cig Lighter socket to supply charge to the batteries. This will save me running a mains lead into the drive way and having other things showing outdoors.

Is this a good idea, given the cars electronics?

Will it trickle charge both batteries or actually do nothing due to the split charging system?

Cheers
I've been using a 6 watt Sunsei solar charger by ICP for years on our ML which sits outside (with a cover) in Long Island for the six months while we are in Germany. Inevitably, when we return to NY in January, it's about 20 degrees or less and the battery is showing right at 13 volts. Bottom line - - - it absolutely does the job. The kit comes with a multitude of connection options. All fittings are weatherproof and the solar panel has a diode circuit built in to eliminate battery drain during periods of darkness.

This is the only vehicle that remains outside until its return to Florida in February. All the others, either in the U.S. or Europe, use Schumacher float chargers. In 7 years I have never had a vehicle fail to maintain a full charge or fail to start.

When we return to Germany this July I am going to check the voltage of the BS14 accessory battery. YachtMaster pointed out to me last year that the BS14 is only charged from the vehicle's charging circuit. The engine start sequence takes the sensitive electronics off the main bus and switches them to the BS14 in order to avoid subjecting them to low voltage conditions and spikes. If this is correct, and I have no reason to doubt YachtMaster, the BS14 will be at a lower voltage than the main battery in the trunk.
The following users liked this post:
Das Geld 2 (12-06-2018)
Old 02-26-2012, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 amg
Originally Posted by lowprofile
I have done this on one of my other vehicles and yes it maintained the battery year round.
On the MB you would need to confirm that the cig lighter is constantly on with the vehicle off. If not, you can changed the fuse location to correct the aforementioned.
Second, I do not believe it would charged the aux battery. You would need to run an additional panel and hardwire a socket to that battery.
Could you explain how to do this please? I have searched and can't come up with anything
Old 02-26-2012, 03:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e55 w/LET TUNE Drinks: vodka STRAIGHT Wheels: 19" HRE 547r Mods:FF headers ASP Pulley
Originally Posted by SvtAmg
Could you explain how to do this please? I have searched and can't come up with anything
fuse panel under hood. the fuse will slide over
Old 02-26-2012, 04:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E55K AMG
Originally Posted by lowprofile
LOL ......Yes we do get some daylight over here, but no UV sun burn weather warnings.

Thanks for that ............good point I forgot that the cig lighter does not work with the ignition off.

ok make it permenant live and it should work and charge.

Last edited by £ C43 £ AMG £; 02-26-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
Courtesy of Yacht Master:

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...ion-ry-480.jpg
Old 02-28-2012, 01:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
(SOLD) 05 E55 Estate. 11 Golf TDi
anyone have anything else to chime in on regarding brands / models?
Old 02-28-2012, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
i have a ctek trickle charger that i use during the winter months. Less than $60s
CTEK Multi US 3300 12-Volt Smart Battery Charger