W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

URGENT: NHTSA Opens investigation into fuel leaks on the E55.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
one car at a time
Unfortunately once you file your claim online all further communications need to be mailed to :

NHTSA Headquarters
1200 New Jersey Avenue SE
West Building, Room NVS210
Washington DC 20590

If someone has an email address they can send me, I would appreciate it....
Old 03-08-2012, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
well if you cc yourself, thats proof that you sent them the email or even send a read receipt
Old 03-08-2012, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

one car at a time
Now extended warranty is refusing to cover the issue as they claim there is a recall and it is a known problem....But then Route 66 (insurance guy) says if we do fix it we will just install a used tank....Saga just gets worse.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
There's no recall yet, it's pending an answer from MBUSA, answer should be in march 16th, a used tank will have same issues eventually

Refer your extended warranty to the nhtsa website and the complaints no where does it say it's a recall...

When it becomes a recall the dealer will eat all costs...further bs of passing the ball!
Old 03-08-2012, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Read your contract regarding your extended warranty.
If they exclude work due to recall, then its between you and them.
By Monday we will know if Mercedes has requested an extension to file a response to NHTSA.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350 Sport 4Matic, 1993 Honda CBR600f2
Claim successfully submitted.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
Filing an extension is just more bs on MB part, I actually went back to see my SA friend and he told me that MB has known about the problem and he even told his supervisors that it's a problem... I really am hoping that MB does the right thing for anyone that experiences this
Old 03-08-2012, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 808 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by Hulk
Filing an extension is just more bs on MB part, I actually went back to see my SA friend and he told me that MB has known about the problem and he even told his supervisors that it's a problem... I really am hoping that MB does the right thing for anyone that experiences this
Doing the right thing would indicate fixing it on their own accord. When you have to involve NHTSA, it kind of negates the doing the right thing discussion.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
I stand corrected, but you always have to give the benefit of the doubt that they had no idea it was such a widespread problem even though we all know it's BS.

If they wanted to show that they stand behind their product, they would call a recall before the 16th
Old 03-12-2012, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by gnma
Just read your claim. Very clear,and concise. Hopefully they will force MB's hand to make good on this issue.

BTW, the RX-7 is pure Hotness!

IT is, BUT his dog is even hotter
Old 03-12-2012, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ducati
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
[/U][/I][/B]

IT is, BUT his dog is even hotter

lolwut
Old 03-22-2012, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

one car at a time
Any update on this investigation ???
Old 03-22-2012, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Mercedes got an extension till the 13th
check the other thread titled "our cars are bombs"
Old 04-24-2012, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by cij911
Any update on this investigation ???
+1

Mercedes: The Best or Nothing. I guess they went with nothing on this one.

Last edited by AMG903L; 04-24-2012 at 06:18 PM. Reason: add on
Old 05-16-2012, 01:30 PM

04 E55 - 97 E320 - 85 300D
Just an update.... I got an email from an Investigator from the DOT's Office of Defects. He want to know if I could send him the pictures I have (the ones I've posted here).
Sent them over to him. Let's see what happens.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:19 AM

2005 E55 AMG; 2005 CLK 500 (sold)
complaint 10458782 filed with NHTSA
Old 05-17-2012, 12:59 PM

04 E55 - 97 E320 - 85 300D
UPDATE

I spoke with said investigator this morning after he emailed me back at 1030 last night... must be dedicated and working late... Any how he seems pretty interested in my claim after seeing my pictures. He asked if I would be willing to remove the seat cushion and cover and take some pictures, before and after filling it up.

He also asked if I knew if the previous owners had the vehicle during the camplaign because I just purchused it last May, or the first owner, depending on when the second owner bought the car. I said I didn't know but I would assume the first owner owned it then. He said he's going to try to pull the service history from my VIN and find out who owned it then, and what was done for the recall as MB USA is claiming a there were a few different catorgories of things performed to remedy this.

He asked if it leaks all the time - I said no. Only after filling it. Once it seems to go below approx 3/4 I don't smell the fuel.

Then asked if I've seen fuel on the side of the tank - I answered that I've never seen the tank from underneth but on a few occasions have seen fuel on my garage floor.

Then asked if I could smell it in the passenger compartment - I answered no, only when outside the vehicle.

Then asked if I have a check engine light - I said no.

He asked if I have any thoughts on it and I replied that I've read the stuff on the NHTSA site that MB USA said and I think it could be bunch of various different problems rolled into the same outcome, a leak. I said that my guage is off and the previous owner said it was like that also which leads me to believe the pumper/sender housing could be installed incorrectly.

Or... that under the recall if I got a new pump/sender housing during the recall that it could be incompatible with the tank as it it appears there could (I'm not sure) be multiple manufacturers and versons of the the tank (people have said different part numbers). Also, that the seals could not be compatible with the tank or housing also.

He stated to me that the fuel tank and it's various parts are rather complex. And that the system is under pressure. I stated then that if the system is under pressure and the service manual says the tank needs to at less then 3/4 to remove the housing, if there is a bad seal then wouldn't it leak when it above 3/4's ? I think thats an interesting point.

The investigator seems to be interested in my vehicle, atleast I think so or he wouldn't have wanted to speak to me right ?

He also asked if I would mind if anyone took a look at my car. I don't have a problem with his guys looking at it but I don't know about the dealerships I've spoken to prior. I would let a dealer I've never spoken to possibily check it out.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

one car at a time
Originally Posted by SPVFD47
I spoke with said investigator this morning after he emailed me back at 1030 last night... must be dedicated and working late... Any how he seems pretty interested in my claim after seeing my pictures. He asked if I would be willing to remove the seat cushion and cover and take some pictures, before and after filling it up.

He also asked if I knew if the previous owners had the vehicle during the camplaign because I just purchused it last May, or the first owner, depending on when the second owner bought the car. I said I didn't know but I would assume the first owner owned it then. He said he's going to try to pull the service history from my VIN and find out who owned it then, and what was done for the recall as MB USA is claiming a there were a few different catorgories of things performed to remedy this.

He asked if it leaks all the time - I said no. Only after filling it. Once it seems to go below approx 3/4 I don't smell the fuel.

Then asked if I've seen fuel on the side of the tank - I answered that I've never seen the tank from underneth but on a few occasions have seen fuel on my garage floor.

Then asked if I could smell it in the passenger compartment - I answered no, only when outside the vehicle.

Then asked if I have a check engine light - I said no.

He asked if I have any thoughts on it and I replied that I've read the stuff on the NHTSA site that MB USA said and I think it could be bunch of various different problems rolled into the same outcome, a leak. I said that my guage is off and the previous owner said it was like that also which leads me to believe the pumper/sender housing could be installed incorrectly.

Or... that under the recall if I got a new pump/sender housing during the recall that it could be incompatible with the tank as it it appears there could (I'm not sure) be multiple manufacturers and versons of the the tank (people have said different part numbers). Also, that the seals could not be compatible with the tank or housing also.

He stated to me that the fuel tank and it's various parts are rather complex. And that the system is under pressure. I stated then that if the system is under pressure and the service manual says the tank needs to at less then 3/4 to remove the housing, if there is a bad seal then wouldn't it leak when it above 3/4's ? I think thats an interesting point.

The investigator seems to be interested in my vehicle, atleast I think so or he wouldn't have wanted to speak to me right ?

He also asked if I would mind if anyone took a look at my car. I don't have a problem with his guys looking at it but I don't know about the dealerships I've spoken to prior. I would let a dealer I've never spoken to possibily check it out.
Interesting, nobody from NHTSA has reached out to me yet...I even sent them an email asking how I could get them pictures, documentation from the dealer stating the leak issue, and MB USA's attempt to keep me quiet (fix the problem but I need to sign a release)...I am going to give it another month and then I am jumping on the class action suit.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by cij911
Interesting, nobody from NHTSA has reached out to me yet...I even sent them an email asking how I could get them pictures, documentation from the dealer stating the leak issue, and MB USA's attempt to keep me quiet (fix the problem but I need to sign a release)...I am going to give it another month and then I am jumping on the class action suit.
I sent your information over yesterday, it's the government so give them time.
Ive forwarded them five invoices so far.
Maybe keep a list who has spoken to the NHTSA about this claim
Old 05-17-2012, 02:43 PM

W211 E55, 911 turbo, 911sc, RX330
Originally Posted by moosejaw
I sent your information over yesterday, it's the government so give them time.
Ive forwarded them five invoices so far.
Maybe keep a list who has spoken to the NHTSA about this claim
Add me to that list. It seems the ball started rolling right after I sent my complaint on Tuesday.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
Good to hear they are interested and really looking into it. Have they mentioned these threads on the boards? I know I sent them an email directing em here, and I hear that they look at these types of sites, but if someone talks to them again perhaps mention it to make sure they are aware of these threads on here. Plenty of accounts and stories on what people had to go through and what the ultimate remedy has been found to be according to a number of dealers and independent shops now... a new tank.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:03 PM

W211 E55, 911 turbo, 911sc, RX330
I sent Scott Y. my reply and a link to the big thread in this forum.

Maybe my diagnosis from an authorized Mercedes Benz dealer with factory trained techs helped.

Diagnosed and found right side fuel pump has hole burnt through housing causing fuel to leak out near connector housing.

Last edited by WPOZZZ; 05-17-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
What is the number y'all are getting contacted from? I've been getting some calls from numbers I don't recognize lately, but I haven't picked up and no messages are left.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by I Like Soup
What is the number y'all are getting contacted from? I've been getting some calls from numbers I don't recognize lately, but I haven't picked up and no messages are left.
202 Area code
Old 05-24-2012, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Update:

Someone had a meeting with Mercedes Benz. 5.22.2012
Perhaps the incident in Australia had something to do with it????
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
INME-PE12001-51394.pdf (27.1 KB, 219 views)

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: URGENT: NHTSA Opens investigation into fuel leaks on the E55.