W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

--ESP OFF-- is trouble

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 11:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 CLS63S AMG, 2017 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate, 2019 KTM 1290 Super Adventure R
I shut off ESP every time I start the car, I can't stand the thing. Only time I leave it on is if there's any moisture whatsoever. Do NOT drive in the rain with ESP off as others mentioned.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2004 E55
Guys if you install a quaife you never touch the ESP button and the car drives great
Old 05-12-2012, 11:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS63
My buddy never thought to turn his ESP off until he saw me do it...1 week later he totals his car!
Old 05-13-2012, 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
Originally Posted by masonh66
would you recommend over the wavetrac?
Wavetrac has a lifetime warranty against breakage. Or it did when it came out, haven't looked into them for a while. They were taking some big abuse from purpose built drag cars on slicks and getting great reviews at the time. From what I have heard of quaiffes they are great quality, but don't think they could handle the abuse like a wavetrac could.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
Originally Posted by ontilt
My buddy never thought to turn his ESP off until he saw me do it...1 week later he totals his car!
Sounds like years ago when a kid in the neighborhood was taught to slide around turns with the parking brake handle in his cavalier I think it was? Found his car on the side of the road and the front end was half ripped off at the A pillar from an oncoming GMC Jimmy. You can guess what caused that accident.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
I have a Quaife diff and my esp definitely still gives me all kinds of hell, so find it interesting how a few say you wont have a problem with esp.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E55
Originally Posted by urbamworm
I have a Quaife diff and my esp definitely still gives me all kinds of hell, so find it interesting how a few say you wont have a problem with esp.

This is what I'm afraid of. My car seems especially ESP-handicapped. Can you get a decent burnout now with ESP off, or is it no different for you? Obviously any increased traction on launch and throttling out of corners is welcomed but I am also looking for a fix for burnouts when I am at the strip. Sick 1 second of spin then literal closing of throttle.

Who did your install? I know this has an affect on performance.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Adding a diff isn't going to change how the computer intervenes to slippage, that is still an electronic thing so adding a mechanical change with the diff will not affect that. The car will still do the same 1 second burnout then throttle cut for your power brake burnouts.

I have never went to the track with drag radials to where I need to get a real good long burnout to heat them up. On my street tires though I just turn esp off, do the power brake and as soon as I feel the car start to cut power I let off the brake and stay in the throttle burning them up toward the line with the car in M1 then hit the brakes at the last second.

This is what I do

The diff was installed near Atlanta, GA at a shop called Malones Performance.

Last edited by urbamworm; 05-13-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by masonh66
would you recommend over the wavetrac?
+10000%. The Quaife is a direct drop in whereas the Wavetrac has to be shimmed.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
I agree.

I have had my quaife for about 5 years now. Esp is still cutting in. What I do notice is the quife keeping me straighter when I do lose traction or have traction issues. Knowing what I know now, I still believe the quife sholud be in the top 3 first mods to do or in conjuntion with other mods.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah a open diff will want to sling the car to one side with that "one tire fire" action so having both wheels spin it is more controllable. Use "controllable" loosely though because with ESP off all hell can break loose when you mash the throttle from a stop or low speeds lol
Old 05-13-2012, 01:54 PM

2007 E63
[QUOTE]+10000%. The Quaife is a direct drop in whereas the Wavetrac has to be shimmed.[QUOTE]

i thought it only needed shims if the backlash was out of spec,and if that was the any unit you buy would need to be shimmed?

just trying to understand.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:02 PM

Obsidian Black E55
With ESP off i can come out of the hole so much harder..It allows my tires to spin but enough to still catapult me forward vs ESP on it still lets you accelerate with like half the power you should.

Dyno mode is scary..this is coming from someone who use to spend 6 hours every friday/saturday at the track drag racing and also went thru a drifting/powersliding phase. This car needs a LSD more than any other car ive been in.

I still dont understand why it was never given a LSD...516tq and 265 tires...just doesnt add up haha.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
Adding a diff isn't going to change how the computer intervenes to slippage, that is still an electronic thing so adding a mechanical change with the diff will not affect that. The car will still do the same 1 second burnout then throttle cut for your power brake burnouts.

100% incorrect. Maybe if you understood how the system worked instead of thinking you do, your posts would actually help the form instead of confusing it. Try posting that on the other forum that all of you newbie guys went to before you realized that it was a forum for FOOLS!!

Here is how it works David: The ESP system monitors wheel speed through sensors in the hub so when you install a LSD the wheels will be more likely to stay within the percentage of wheel speed difference that is increased when you "shut it off." All that does is increase the amount of wheel speed difference allowable before the ESP kick in.

This is how you do a burnout and this car has a Quaife ATB LSD installed by TTM. Try watching it and learning from it. This car has Hoosiers too and I didn't have a problem doing a burnout!

Old 05-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
[quote=masonh66;5193567][QUOTE]+10000%. The Quaife is a direct drop in whereas the Wavetrac has to be shimmed.

i thought it only needed shims if the backlash was out of spec,and if that was the any unit you buy would need to be shimmed?

just trying to understand.
Actually with the Wavetrac you have to buy a 20 c-clip kit since they move to set it up by changing the thickness of the c-clips. I have installed over 50 Quaife LSD's in Mercedes Benz's and they are all a direct drop in and no type of adjustments is necessary.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TTMotorsports
100% incorrect. Maybe if you understood how the system worked instead of thinking you do, your posts would actually help the form instead of confusing it. Try posting that on the other forum that all of you newbie guys went to before you realized that it was a forum for FOOLS!!

Here is how it works David: The ESP system monitors wheel speed through sensors in the hub so when you install a LSD the wheels will be more likely to stay within the percentage of wheel speed difference that is increased when you "shut it off." All that does is increase the amount of wheel speed difference allowable before the ESP kick in.

This is how you do a burnout and this car has a Quaife ATB LSD installed by TTM. Try watching it and learning from it. This car has Hoosiers too and I didn't have a problem doing a burnout!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu3XUwqzKF4
You are hilarious and here is why. Correct me if I am wrong here but you are trying to say that the LSD will make ESP not intervene? While yes it will help, fix the problem, not even close. You realize I HAVE A QUAIFE LSD right? The car will instantly activate ESP if you push the throttle halfway down from a stop must less all the way down. The car will instantly activate ESP if you run 40mph and mash the throttle causing a downshift. A LSD will not come even close to remedying the computer cutting power. Again, I don't know what you drive but I drive an E55 with a Quaife LSD EVERYDAY (when not working out of town) and know exactly what the car does lmao

While you may know a thing or two don't try and belittle me like I am some idiot, I have been around a while and have been modding cars for long enough not to be a "newbie guy." And when I say modding cars, I mean with my own two hands tearing down/building an engine or what have you, not writing checks.

Congratulations, you drove some guys car you worked on doing a burnout in either dyno mode or it is one of the ones that will allow you to do a burnout not being in dyno mode. That is a widely known fact that some E55s can do this while others can't. But you are giving this credit to a LSD, really?

My car with a Quaife LSD, see the two tracks?

And see the ESP light go to town. Hell it was flashing all the way to 80mph on the last run in the video and no I didn't have bald tires either, those street tires were able to do a 1.82 60ft. So much for that magical LSD ha? I must have a defective one?

Last edited by urbamworm; 05-13-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2004 E55

Wow, Way to be a ****.... And a wrong **** while you're at it

ESP doesn't just compare wheel speeds across the axle (That part you were correct on) BUT it also looks at the Delta of Front vs Rear wheel speeds AND it looks at the accelerometers in the car to see if the car is in a turn which it also correlates with the steering angle sensor. If there is any lateral G on the car that transitions the ESP computer to another lookup table.

Dyno mode ignores those inputs which is why it's popular for drag racing
Old 05-13-2012, 07:35 PM

2007 E63
Old 05-13-2012, 07:38 PM

2007 E63
Wavetrac has a lifetime warranty against breakage. Or it did when it came out, haven't looked into them for a while. They were taking some big abuse from purpose built drag cars on slicks and getting great reviews at the time. From what I have heard of quaiffes they are great quality, but don't think they could handle the abuse like a wavetrac could.
i have read that the Wavetrac is a better unit,but didn't read anything about it being a tougher install until now.i definitely don't need the labor to go way up.i think it's already around $500.

looks like the Quaife's have come way down in price too,i've seen them as low as $900,where the Wavetrac seems to be $1095 everyhwere.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:05 AM

2004 E55
Old 05-14-2012, 02:32 AM

2018 GLE AMG 63
just got my car finally after rebuilding a salvage c300, everything looks great except the part where i try to drive and when turning, my steering wheel want to return back to center every time i turn left or right. it jerk back to center position no matter what. Alignment place thinks car needs to be cleared of codes since esc was on before brought to them. Has anyone ever heard of anything similar??? i doubt the 2010 c300 has auto pilot...LoL
Old 05-14-2012, 08:14 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,400 Likes on 2,845 Posts
2012 CLS63

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu3XUwqzKF4
hope you're not looking for many SALES here with all us fools......
you're a real piece of work.......
Old 05-14-2012, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E55
TTM,
Good run! I'd guess that Viper dude was Googling after than run! 10.79 in the grocery-getter is loony! I noted your H/E is quite large. Is it custom?
Old 05-14-2012, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
I tried ESP off on Mercedes advanced driving day on skid pans and what ever else they had going ... there is no way you can keep the car under control without ESP on a wet 100m diameter skidpan.

I tried launching without ESP at the recent VMAX day and got the car almost doing a 180 in no time. The quaife can be tricky as the progression from 0 - 100% lock is not that smooth as some clamp / spring type LSD's are .. progression much harder to "feel".

Anyhow I would be much more carefull lauching / driving the car without ESP... and never really have until this one time - basically from the experience I got at the skid pan. In the wet there is zero advantage. YMMV in the dry ... I for one won't use it again unless the conditions are ideal.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 (FST N OC)
Originally Posted by berti_00
hey so just wanted to share my little experience i had earlier, i never mess with it, its always ON so i thought id hit that little button and see whats up... Let me just say that this thing OFF is dangerous if your not in an open road with nothing around, i swear i hit the gas not even half way and i was tossed around lmao scariest thing today for me for sure, almost did a 360... i was left speechless and with a heart rate of 180 i bet it was lol i'll tell you i thought i unleashed a monster.. my car is fast but with the ESP OFF i thought it was about to FLY... anyways long story short, it was a crazy scary experience for me, deff wont try it again on narrow roads or with cars around
Awkward, I thought everybody here drives without ESP! Turn that sucka OFF bro....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: --ESP OFF-- is trouble