Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

--ESP OFF-- is trouble

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
Originally Posted by TTMotorsports
+10000%. The Quaife is a direct drop in whereas the Wavetrac has to be shimmed.

So the Quaife has an adjustment on it you turn to set the proper contact pattern instead of using shims your saying? Your post kinda made it sound like you just plop it in and don't have to adjust anything. Wanted to make sure people understand it still needs to be adjusted weather with a built in adjustable "shim" or with different thickness shims you just slip in with the diff.

You will always have to make some sort of adjustment to get the best contact pattern when installing a new diff unless you get really lucky and tolerances are perfect out of the box. Haven't seen that happen yet. I always use marking compound and spin it around and check the pattern and adjust from there.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
[quote=TTMotorsports;5193843][quote=masonh66;5193567]
+10000%. The Quaife is a direct drop in whereas the Wavetrac has to be shimmed.

Actually with the Wavetrac you have to buy a 20 c-clip kit since they move to set it up by changing the thickness of the c-clips. I have installed over 50 Quaife LSD's in Mercedes Benz's and they are all a direct drop in and no type of adjustments is necessary.
I must be misunderstanding something, as I can't believe a shop would post something like this.

Your saying you can take 20 cars, and 20 random Quaife diffs and install it in each car and every one will have the exact same and proper thread contact pattern?

I'm sure AMG and Benz have tighter tolerances then other manufacturers, but there are too many tolerances stacked that come into play with thread pattern. The housing itself, the dif, the gears all come into play.

Getting a proper pattern using marking compound and makinng adjustments is how installing a diff properly is done. Weather you use shims, or if the diff has an adjustment built onto it. Short of getting extremely lucky one time, you shouldn't just slap a diff in a car and call it good. Your asking for gear noise issues, extra heat, possibly broken teeth, or the teeth killing each other and taking out all the bearings in the axle.

Again, maybe I misunderstood your post somehow? Did you mean to say you just drop this diff in, bolt the caps on and go with zero adjustments at all?

Here's a good example video.

Originally Posted by masonh66
i have read that the Wavetrac is a better unit,but didn't read anything about it being a tougher install until now.i definitely don't need the labor to go way up.i think it's already around $500.

looks like the Quaife's have come way down in price too,i've seen them as low as $900,where the Wavetrac seems to be $1095 everyhwere.
You have to adjust a new diff no matter what, I promise you the $500 included setting up the gears as you have to do this with EVERY install. TTM do you sell Wavetracs or only Quaifes, just curious?

I have no horse in this race, I'm just a car guy that's been building cars with his own two hands for years as well. Just my honest opinions are given here with zero bias. My .02

Last edited by BBBSS; 05-14-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63
You have to adjust a new diff no matter what, I promise you the $500 included setting up the gears as you have to do this with EVERY install. TTM do you sell Wavetracs or only Quaifes, just curious?

i've been reading and reading about the Quaife and the Wavetrac and honetly this is the first time i've read anything about the Wavetrac being more difficult to install.

i really want the Wavetrac as i people seem to think it's overall better,but didn't want to pay several hundred more in labor either.

Thanks for the info BBBSS

Last edited by masonh66; 05-14-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
I have a wavetrac in mine, it was setup by BIP and is whisper quiet, no whine at all. There are some tricks to setting it up in terms of backlash, shims and what parts have to be installed new.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Any shop that knows how to check and correct a pattern with marking compound can install either one just as easily as the other. Its not rocket science you just need to know what to look for and how to get there. Typically you wanna find a shop that has been around a while or does a lot of drivetrain work or has good recommendations for this type of work though. Some shops get lazy and will send cars out whining and blame the gear manufacturer. Now granted this is the case sometimes (richmond gears are strong, but noisier then some for example) but many times its a lazy or untrained tech making excuses.