W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally bought an e55!! Now some noob questions..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 02:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 E55 AMG - '06 300C SRT8 - '93 240SX Coupe w/1JZ-GTE
Finally bought an e55!! Now some noob questions..

So I finally found a deal(steal) on an e55 and snatched it (very clean black '03 with 94k mi for $15k, all major 80k mi+ maintenance already been done and documented ). Still learning a lot about this GORGEOUS car, but I'm stumped on some things hopefully you guys can help me out:

- Will the 6 disc cd changer play any brand of CDR-W's that are burnt in data mode (where you can put like 100 songs on the CD instead of 20) and not audio?
- Do any of these e55's have an auxilary port? Some of them? All of them? I can't find one..

- There seems to be some kind of weird surge sometimes when making a left/right turn at low speed, as if the ESP is preventing wheelspin, but I'm not gassing it at all and the ESP light is not coming on. Is this normal?

- Is there a way to turn ESP all the way off? When I press the ESP off button it seems like the car still trys to keep me in check when I break traction or hit it early after a turn.

- I received a "visit workshop" icon with an up arrow on the dash when driving her home. Scared the **** out of me, but after cycling through other things on the menu the message hasn't shown up again. What the??

- When I first put the key in and turn it (but haven't started it yet) the dash does a bunch of click click click click click noises for a few seconds. I think it's the A/C? But why exactly does it do that? It's not very pleasant..

- What is the difference between Sport mode and M mode besides having to manually shift in M mode?
- What is the difference between Airmatic Sport I and Sport II?

Last edited by Jakez; 05-21-2012 at 03:19 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL55, 1978 280SL, 2007 ML63
-The 6disc changer wont play mp3 cds and no AUX on 03's with audio50
-not sure
-you can turn on dyno mode to completely get rid of ESP but I wouldn't recommend that for everyday driving
-you have an airmatic leak somewhere
-sounds like one of the motors in your HVAC system is broken (happened on my ML)
-C starts in 2nd gear, S starts in 1st, and M is manual (although an 03 it will shift for you at redline anyway)
-sport 2 firms up the suspension even more than 1
Old 05-21-2012, 03:15 AM

THANK YOU for clearing so much up for me. Looks like the '03s really lack a lot of stuff

About the surging, you say it's an airmatic leak? It feels like the engine cutting power though? Also the front airmatic suspension was replaced less than 10k miles ago.. guess the back is due for a change now?

Sounds like I really need to hurry up and bring this car in for a thorough inspection at the dealer.

Oh and for the record, one of the first things I noticed is the e55 FEELS slower in some parts of acceleration compared to the SRT8, but it's definitely much faster. That's just how smooth the Mercedes is. Although the SRT8 when you are in say 2nd or 1st gear at low speed and stab the throttle fast it will give you some nasty whiplash. If you do the same in the e55 it won't jerk forward like that it will take off smooth and gradually build acceration.. not sure if that's a plus or not? lol

When I first picked up the car in Miami and started my trip back to Orlando I honestly thought the speedo was broke or in kmph when I noticed I was going 80mph and it felt/looked like I was going 55-60mph . Cruising at 100mph in the e55 is an absolute breeze, it's almost TOO good because you don't realized how fast you're really going. This car is going to get me so many tickets lol.

Last edited by Jakez; 05-21-2012 at 04:19 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:31 AM

2003 SL55, 1978 280SL, 2007 ML63
Originally Posted by Jakez
THANK YOU for clearing so much up for me. Looks like the '03s really lack a lot of stuff

About the surging, you say it's an airmatic leak? It feels like the engine cutting power though? Also the front airmatic suspension was replaced less than 10k miles ago.. guess the back is due for a change now?

Sounds like I really need to hurry up and bring this car in for a thorough inspection at the dealer.
Sorry, I meant the arrow with a visit workshop message is usually an airmatic leak.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
The surge is common in our cars at low speeds
I have it too
Old 05-22-2012, 04:58 PM

Hm, now my left blinker has started getting stuck on.. after making the left turn it won't automatically click off when I straighten out unless I turn the wheel to the right a bit. Really annoying.

Anyone have this happen to them?
Old 05-22-2012, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Hm, now my left blinker has started getting stuck on.. after making the left turn it won't automatically click off when I straighten out unless I turn the wheel to the right a bit. Really annoying.

Welcome to owning a AMG! With power and luxury comes annoying but usually minor issues!
Old 05-22-2012, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ducati

Sounds like the steering wheel might not be aligned with the steering shaft.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:15 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
CLS63S
C - Comfort Mode, skips 1st gear entirely, best fuel economy, shifts earlier in the RPM band.

M - User controlled, holds gears, will downshift for you if you go low enough in the RPM band, try not to bounce off the rev limiter alot...

S- Sport Mode, starts in 1st gear from a stop, holds RPMS longer through the power band, tad bit sharper shifts, supercharger engages earlier than C.

Suspension Modes

Comfort - Highest the car sits, puts more air in the struts and makes it softer over bumps.

Sport 1 - lowers a bit, releases some air from the struts and gives the car a better stance for turns still is considered soft.

Sport 2 - lowest point in the setting, releases more air from the struts and puts the car even lower than sport 1. This gives the suspension a tad bit sportier feel, and I say that loosely because it still isnt very sporty.

This is my take on everything, everyone's car is different this is just how mine acts.

Also for Dyno-Mode make sure you are on a clear road, mine acted really crazy the first time i stabbed it. Basically its like hitting a patch of black ice on the rear wheels, its raw...

Last edited by johnnyblaze; 05-22-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTS-V 2013 Wagon
Originally Posted by RoyBratten
I really need to hurry up and bring this car in for a thorough inspection at the dealer.
Don't forget your wallet.

You might have a broken turn signal switch inside the steering column, causing your blinker to stay on and not self cancel.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Hotrod-Realtor
Don't forget your wallet.

You might have a broken turn signal switch inside the steering column, causing your blinker to stay on and not self cancel.
Well it will shut itself off if I turn the wheel about 3-4 degrees past center. Also when I make a right turn I noticed the turn signal will go off a bit before center. So I guess where the car thinks the center of the wheel is is off.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
welcome to the AMG family

LOTS (almost too much to read on this site) - and ignore the trolls, well - you can poke at them occasionally but just don't feed them
Old 05-23-2012, 01:41 AM

W211 E55, 911 turbo, 911sc, RX330
Originally Posted by Toadster
welcome to the AMG family

LOTS (almost too much to read on this site) - and ignore the trolls, well - you can poke at them occasionally but just don't feed them
You have come full circle. lol
Old 05-23-2012, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Wow, who got the steal? LOL!

But seriously, if you have airmatic going bad, I'd check in to switching it out for different hardware. I think Serge has a list of the parts, STAR information to do this?
Old 05-24-2012, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by I Like Soup
Wow, who got the steal? LOL!

But seriously, if you have airmatic going bad, I'd check in to switching it out for different hardware. I think Serge has a list of the parts, STAR information to do this?
Oh I definitely got a steal as far as I'm concerned heh. I'm not sure if it's going bad or not. I haven't tested for leaks or yet know how to (raise the car and measure it in the morning?).

Here's another noob question, since I'm new to superchargers. I was racing tonight and went to take off in 2nd at 50mph and the car went nowhere, like the supercharger did not engage? Is it because I hit the pedal so fast that it made the supercharger belt slip?

Already lost a race in the e55 - but I was asking for it, was after a 240sx meet and I decided to call out the fastest (and nicest) one they had - s15 240sx with an rb26, ****er is FAST. And loud. He started in 3rd one time and had to spool and play catch up so I got a couple cars on him at about 120 but the cleanest race we had was from 50 to about 120-130 and he had a good 3-4 cars on me. Still not bad because he is supposedly putting close to 500rwhp. Still not sure what is the best highway speed to race from, my butt says 45-50?

Last edited by Jakez; 05-24-2012 at 01:24 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:20 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
CLS63S
Oh I definitely got a steal as far as I'm concerned heh. I'm not sure if it's going bad or not. I haven't tested for leaks or yet know how to (raise the car and measure it in the morning?).

Here's another noob question, since I'm new to superchargers. I was racing tonight and went to take off in 2nd at 50mph and the car went nowhere, like the supercharger did not engage? Is it because I hit the pedal so fast that it made the supercharger belt slip?

Already lost a race in the e55 - but I was asking for it, was after a 240sx meet and I decided to call out the fastest (and nicest) one they had - s15 240sx with an rb26, ****er is FAST. And loud. He started in 3rd one time and had to spool and play catch up so I got a couple cars on him at about 120 but the cleanest race we had was from 50 to about 120-130 and he had a good 3-4 cars on me. Still not bad because he is supposedly putting close to 500rwhp. Still not sure what is the best highway speed to race from, my butt says 45-50?

Dont feel bad about losing to a car that weighs 2500lbs with a Skyline motor in it. I'm assuming its an S14 with an S15 conversion because S15's are illegal to own in the USA without proper conversion paperwork. Either way a RB26 is downright lethal with minor bolt on mods.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
search supercharger shut-off on the forums and you will figure out what you need to do. there is lots of research and reading on this issue.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 559 Likes on 369 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by johnnyblaze
Dont feel bad about losing to a car that weighs 2500lbs with a Skyline motor in it. I'm assuming its an S14 with an S15 conversion because S15's are illegal to own in the USA without proper conversion paperwork. Either way a RB26 is downright lethal with minor bolt on mods.
Yes yes yes.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:54 PM

05 E55
consult owners manual
Old 05-26-2012, 03:11 PM

Another noob question: I noticed the other night when taking off briskly from a stop there is a quick "squeek" noise when all the weight shifts to the rear. It sounds like a squeek in the suspension because it happens right when the rear gets loaded, but could it be the supercharger?

Originally Posted by johnnyblaze
Yeah you're right it's an s14 with s15 conversion. Has a pretty big turbo and all mods besides inner engine work. Only boosting 12lbs though

I want to try him from a dig but he's got an AEM EMS all setup with a 2 step launch control and everything. Yikes lol.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:09 AM

Ok on second thought the little squeek noise is coming from the supercharger belt most likely, it slips (and squeeks) and then catches right after.. and it's also probably the reason the car stutters with mild throttle in 1st/2nd occasionally. Really need to do a non-slip mod on this car because I like to leave red lights in manual 1st/2nd as if I have a stick car but the stutter makes me look stupid lol. And the 300 doesn't do that :/