W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E55 Down

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Zod
any ruf indications on what timing should be on wot runs and normal cruising?
About mid to low 30's at part throttle, and it can vary a LOT depending on load and get into the mid 20's with ease. You'll see high teens low 20's at wot.

Normally the bigger issue is running to little timing which causes egt's to sky rocket big time and heat transferred to the heads and to the pistons can cause decent damage, even though it's at a somewhat slow pace when compared to detonation obviously.

A lot of heat can cause the piston rings to butt together and break a ring land, which to me is the single largest reason why these engine break as much as they do....more related to heat that detonation it's self.

Last edited by GT-ER; 06-22-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
I don't see more than 19 * timing towards redline (but my tune is for 91). The factory tune saw similar timing (I logged when the car was 100% stock). I would rather go conservative on timing ( a few degrees) and leave a few hp on the table and be safer. Also from my experience with FI cars, you will make more power with more boost and less timing than the other way around....
Old 06-22-2012, 08:42 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Sorry to hear this, I feel your pain. Have you discussed this with Jeremy (OE) and what does he have to say/offer?
Old 06-22-2012, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by cij911
I don't see more than 19 * timing towards redline (but my tune is for 91). The factory tune saw similar timing (I logged when the car was 100% stock). I would rather go conservative on timing ( a few degrees) and leave a few hp on the table and be safer. Also from my experience with FI cars, you will make more power with more boost and less timing than the other way around....
For 91oct high teens is just fine. It really depends on a lot of things.

While high boost and low timing due tend to make more power than the other way around, the way the car puts the power to the ground is a lot smoother ( as can be seen on a dyno graph ) with high timing low boost. It makes the car pull smoother...but yes, it'll still be slower...lol.

And of course, as mentioned before, to low timing will cause high egt's which can kill your engine in the long run.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
What happened to Dennis's car has nothing to do with the tune. Once all the facts are out in the open, it will be clear what the cause was.

I have chatted with the best in the industry about his car, some that know his car well, technically and mechanically. The events leading up to, and after the pull, will tell the story why the damage occured.

Hard facts will become apparent as the complete motor is examined.

Last edited by chawkins2001; 06-22-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

one car at a time
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
What happened to Dennis's car has nothing to do with the tune. Once all the facts are out in the open, it will be clear what the cause was.

I have chatted with the best in the industry about his car, some that know his car well, technically and mechanically. The events leading up to, and after the pull, will tell the story why the damage occured.

Care to share what would break his piston rings that is NOT tune (or fueling ) related ? Obviously it could be just bad luck, but if there are theories on why we are seeing more and more broken rings, it would be great to discuss and possibly address preventatively.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by GT-ER
About mid to low 30's at part throttle, and it can vary a LOT depending on load and get into the mid 20's with ease. You'll see high teens low 20's at wot.

Normally the bigger issue is running to little timing which causes egt's to sky rocket big time and heat transferred to the heads and to the pistons can cause decent damage, even though it's at a somewhat slow pace when compared to detonation obviously.

A lot of heat can cause the piston rings to butt together and break a ring land, which to me is the single largest reason why these engine break as much as they do....more related to heat that detonation it's self.
Can improved engine cooling help this issue?
Old 06-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by GT-ER

So if you do not mind, can you fill in the blanks please

ARF
part throttle:
WOT:

Timing
part throttle:
WOT:

EGT:
part throttle:
WOT:

add what ever else you feel relevant
Old 06-22-2012, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

one car at a time
Originally Posted by Zod
So if you do not mind, can you fill in the blanks please

ARF
part throttle:
WOT:

Timing
part throttle:
WOT:

EGT:
part throttle:
WOT:

add what ever else you feel relevant
There is a bit more to it than this, but you generally run in two conditions : open and closed loop. Under 'Open loop' your ECU is trying to keep the AFR ~14.7 :1 . Timing seems to vary based upon load and RPM, but I generally see ~5- 8 degrees to 24 degrees. Under 'Closed loop' (when you are beyond X% TPS and bringing on boost, you will likely see your AFRs go from lean ~14.7 down to 10.XX @ redline on a stock tune. Again, timing varies, but with mine I see ~19* at redline.

I am not monitoring EGT on my e55, so I cannot comment.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG....Speed is Relaxin'
Sorry to hear about E55 down.
I live in Austin and have MODs
On my E55 too. Patrick is my mechanic.
Great with diagnostics, repairs, and a
HONEST guy too. GOOD LUCK !!!
Old 06-22-2012, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by cij911
There is a bit more to it than this, but you generally run in two conditions : open and closed loop. Under 'Open loop' your ECU is trying to keep the AFR ~14.7 :1 . Timing seems to vary based upon load and RPM, but I generally see ~5- 8 degrees to 24 degrees. Under 'Closed loop' (when you are beyond X% TPS and bringing on boost, you will likely see your AFRs go from lean ~14.7 down to 10.XX @ redline on a stock tune. Again, timing varies, but with mine I see ~19* at redline.

I am not monitoring EGT on my e55, so I cannot comment.
You got the open and closed loop backwards since part throttle is closed loop and wot is open loop, but yes, it is a lot more complex and it is easier to tune while you drive than it is to just write on a piece of paper.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by cal1
Can improved engine cooling help this issue?
Yes, it can. I began by lowering engine coolant to 190ish deg by modifying the thermostat. I also run almost all water ( very little coolant ).

Originally Posted by chawkins2001

INTERESTINGGGGGG....
Old 06-22-2012, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
[quote=GT-ER;5252110]Yes, it can. I began by lowering engine coolant to 190ish deg by modifying the thermostat. I also run almost all water ( very little coolant ).

The reason I ask is because I, unlike many run my secondary HE through the engine cooling system. I know I could get lower IATs by isolating, but it seems to me a modified engine is producing more heat and it needs to be delt with. I don't know much about engines. My business is anodizing and we use 2.5 million gallons of water per month. As such, I know a bit about the properties of water. Water can absorb way more heat than coolant as you know. If you are using distilled water, keep in mind that water is a universal solvent. In the pure state, it loves to dissolve whatever in can, like the metal in your cooling system. you need some corrosion protection. Hopefully the little bit of coolant is providing that. Definitely add a surfactant to reduce the hydrogen bonding or surface tension. Water wetter products do work. They are just surfactants. They allow better surface contact and therefore improved heat absorption.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:32 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

FTP-E55///AMG
Sorry to hear about your loss. Rest assure you will be back up and running soon, Just ask Craig he bounced back quite nice
Old 06-29-2012, 10:38 AM
lm7

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2003 E55
Any update?
Old 06-29-2012, 11:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
93' Ultrasonic Blue Mica LS6/T56 RX7 R1 weekend/ 2007 4Runner V8/ 08' prius
How many knock sensors does the E55 engine use to monitor knock? Are the knock sensors still used after a tune to advance and retard timing due to conditions read by the sensor or is the timing a fixed value that is set by the tuner.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:26 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
2 knock sensors.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
'06 E55
Originally Posted by lm7
Any update?
I have a guy (Scott) who offered to drive to Austin and tow it back to Houston as long as I paid for the trailer. He wouldn't even let me cover the gas money. I'm not sure if he posts here, but he definitely deserves to be recognized for his awesome act of kindness.

I found a local engine in Houston that is getting picked up on Saturday and M-Power is the shop doing the swap. I've ordered the Dashdaq and appropriate sensors to be installed also. Big thanks to many in Houston, especially Shardul for being a kick-*** middle man, collecting money, receiving parts, etc. this headache would be a definite migraine without the help.

I don't know how long the swap will take, but I'm going to fly in and then drive back to NOLA after another crazy weekend in Houston. Looking forward to it.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ducati
Originally Posted by Denroll
I have a guy (Scott) who offered to drive to Austin and tow it back to Houston as long as I paid for the trailer. He wouldn't even let me cover the gas money. I'm not sure if he posts here, but he definitely deserves to be recognized for his awesome act of kindness.

I found a local engine in Houston that is getting picked up on Saturday and M-Power is the shop doing the swap. I've ordered the Dashdaq and appropriate sensors to be installed also. Big thanks to many in Houston, especially Shardul for being a kick-*** middle man, collecting money, receiving parts, etc. this headache would be a definite migraine without the help.

I don't know how long the swap will take, but I'm going to fly in and then drive back to NOLA after another crazy weekend in Houston. Looking forward to it.
Hehehe, when you figure out when this crazy weekend is going to happen, I might be down to fly out...
Old 06-29-2012, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by TS Motorsport
How many knock sensors does the E55 engine use to monitor knock? Are the knock sensors still used after a tune to advance and retard timing due to conditions read by the sensor or is the timing a fixed value that is set by the tuner.
Two sensors and yes, it does read and correct during full throttle runs.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:26 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
I'm at MPower now and the new motor is here. Good luck with the rebuild. Sorry for your troubles.

J
Old 06-30-2012, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 ML63 2009 SL63 2010 Alpha 7 GTR
Originally Posted by 03'55AMG
Damn man, that majorly sucks. Esp. during a big trip. You have a point OP, I don't know what i would do without the kind people here either, Shardul, Outrun, Abrim, E55bullet, ALL good guys, who've helped me before. Good luck with the rebuild/replace game, can get really frustrating

always here to help! Good luck sir!
Old 06-30-2012, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
'06 E55
Originally Posted by Jerry@Eurocharged
I'm at MPower now and the new motor is here. Good luck with the rebuild. Sorry for your troubles.

J
I didn't want you to see her like that
She's filthy; covered in bugs, dirt, and grime from the desert. Exhaust tips covered with oil. Poor girl!
Old 07-05-2012, 03:01 PM

E55 AMG
This is all I read:

the new motor is here...

Let us know, and when you get back to San Diego, we will need to meet up

Cool on the Houston Guys
Cool On Jerry
Cool on Scott....

I can hardly wait to see the conclusion of this story:

Better - Stronger - Faster!!!
Old 07-05-2012, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
On the new motor dial back the boost a notch ... fit an OEM pulley and keep the smaller S/C pulley in place...

I think these 190+ pulleys (or effectively 190+) are just reaching a bit too far for reliability....

Have to say half throttle in 5th is still allot of load on the cylinder as the gearing means the pressure has a long duration in this scenario ... its better to have motor spinning faster so the instantaneous pulses may be higher but the durations much shorter... dunno just a thought?

Could be allot of things - mbe even damage done before only manifesting now ...

Good to see u getting her back to good as new

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: E55 Down