W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh my, power steering pump went nuclear today.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Oh my, power steering pump went nuclear today.

Left home today and almost immediately my engine started making strange noises. Looked under the hood at a gas station and noticed my belt was starting to shred to I went back home. At home the belt blew apart and so did my idler pulley ( the ultra expensive one that also has the supercharger idler pulley ). After fixing the pulley and installing a new belt it turns out that what blew my belt/pulley is my power steering pump that blew internally big time. It made loud knocking noises and the pulley would wobble big time. The fluid also spewed out all over the floor.

Turns out nearly all mb engines use the same pump so I snagged a used pump for free and bought a new reservoir ( which has a built in filter ) and installed it. Problem solved. Spent a total of $110 between pulley, belt, reservoir.

It's interesting how random it was. Yesterday all was fine, today all went to hell.

BTW- I used a N/A M113 pulley and slightly modified it so that it wouldn't rub on the aluminum pulley. It's slightly smaller but worked like a charm.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
Pics or it didn't happen

Yep, we're all driving a ticking time bomb. But I'm loving mine.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9
Pics or it didn't happen

Yep, we're all driving a ticking time bomb. But I'm loving mine.
lol...I want to open up the old pump to see what surprise it holds.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1M, F550M, F550B, F40, S600, 365GTC, DBSx2, etc.
Nice work. Luckily you managed to avoid further catastrophe. Curious when you find out what actually caused the PS pump failure.

--Dan
Old 07-18-2012, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
Fixed for $110. Imagine what a dealer would have charged you. 4 digits all day I bet.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by GT-ER
Left home today and almost immediately my engine started making strange noises. Looked under the hood at a gas station and noticed my belt was starting to shred to I went back home. At home the belt blew apart and so did my idler pulley ( the ultra expensive one that also has the supercharger idler pulley ). After fixing the pulley and installing a new belt it turns out that what blew my belt/pulley is my power steering pump that blew internally big time. It made loud knocking noises and the pulley would wobble big time. The fluid also spewed out all over the floor.

Turns out nearly all mb engines use the same pump so I snagged a used pump for free and bought a new reservoir ( which has a built in filter ) and installed it. Problem solved. Spent a total of $110 between pulley, belt, reservoir.

It's interesting how random it was. Yesterday all was fine, today all went to hell.

BTW- I used a N/A M113 pulley and slightly modified it so that it wouldn't rub on the aluminum pulley. It's slightly smaller but worked like a charm.
I wonder what broke internally, there really isn't much inside of the pump to break. Then again, pump for the c32 may be different, but I doubt it. My pump started leaking and I was able to buy the seals and replace the fluid for less than $30. Check out my thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...-overhaul.html

Old 07-19-2012, 12:49 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Nice work. Yea dealer would have raped you
Old 07-19-2012, 01:27 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FTP-E55///AMG
Nice Fix Daniel!!! Thanks for sharing
Old 07-19-2012, 06:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by loudandheard
I wonder what broke internally, there really isn't much inside of the pump to break. Then again, pump for the c32 may be different, but I doubt it. My pump started leaking and I was able to buy the seals and replace the fluid for less than $30. Check out my thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...-overhaul.html

It is similar. The bushing probably failed which could have caused enough wobble for the vain pump to break a few fins. It sounded like a hammer knocking on the engine.

Dealer would have most definitely charged me over $2500. A new pump is $550 which is where I saved big time by going used. The supercharger/accessories idler pulley set is also $500 and I also saved big time by using a $30 pulley meant for the N/A version of the M113. Plus belt and p/s reservoir and what not. It would have been total rape...lol.