W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSD Questions (The differential, not the drug)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
LSD Questions (The differential, not the drug)

This has probably been asked and answered before but I can't really find specifics so am hoping you guys don't mind me asking again:

The Beast is starting to make some good power now and like a lot of you here, the problem isn't horsepower, it's getting the car to hook up. I want to install a LSD but am not sure if there is any downside to doing so. Does the traction control still function or does the LSD confuse it and make it useless. Does the ABS system still function properly or does it confuse this as well? Any other quirks that come along with a LSD that might be worth mentioning?

Thanks in advance for any insight!
Old 09-23-2012, 12:52 PM

e55 amg
I cant imagine it would cause any problems, for a couple reasons. traction control, and abs all work off individual wheel speeds, and use the brakes to either stop the tires from spinning, or pulse them for abs. the wheel speed sensors are usually mounted in or around the hub some where. so lets say you pull out some where and hammer on it in the rain, and blows both the back tires off, instead of just one. the ecu is still going to see that the rears are spinning at a much faster rate than the fronts, and apply the brakes to get the wheel to stop spinning. There is no reason it should effect abs, you lock the tires up they are locked, lsd or no lsd.

edit: second reason i dont think any part would last on the market for mb's, if when you installed it, it caused a ton of problems. well any part for that matter

Last edited by S13REMI; 09-23-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
Originally Posted by Kickem
This has probably been asked and answered before but I can't really find specifics so am hoping you guys don't mind me asking again:

The Beast is starting to make some good power now and like a lot of you here, the problem isn't horsepower, it's getting the car to hook up. I want to install a LSD but am not sure if there is any downside to doing so. Does the traction control still function or does the LSD confuse it and make it useless. Does the ABS system still function properly or does it confuse this as well? Any other quirks that come along with a LSD that might be worth mentioning?

Thanks in advance for any insight!
The LSD will help keep the power to the ground properly (with less use of traction control / ESP - which just kills power)...Get either the Quaife or the MB 030 setup and you will be happy .
Old 09-23-2012, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
The stock differential is open , in other words, it gives power to the wheel with least resistance, what the LSD will do is distribute the power to both wheels evenly or as close to that as possible, there's no abs or traction control involved when you are in dyno mode on the track
Old 09-23-2012, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Get either the Quaife or the MB 030 setup and you will be happy .
This!!!
Old 09-23-2012, 05:37 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Hulk
The stock differential is open , in other words, it gives power to the wheel with least resistance, what the LSD will do is distribute the power to both wheels evenly or as close to that as possible, there's no abs or traction control involved when you are in dyno mode on the track
I'm not as worried about when I'm at the track as when I'm driving on the wet Oregon highways and byways once I have the LSD installed. Was mostly just wondering if there is any downside with regard to the cars systems operating normally once it's in place.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
No however, if the pavement is wet it doesn't make a difference if you have a stock diff or LSD it will still engage the traction control
Old 09-23-2012, 06:10 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by S13REMI
I cant imagine it would cause any problems, for a couple reasons. traction control, and abs all work off individual wheel speeds, and use the brakes to either stop the tires from spinning, or pulse them for abs. the wheel speed sensors are usually mounted in or around the hub some where. so lets say you pull out some where and hammer on it in the rain, and blows both the back tires off, instead of just one. the ecu is still going to see that the rears are spinning at a much faster rate than the fronts, and apply the brakes to get the wheel to stop spinning. There is no reason it should effect abs, you lock the tires up they are locked, lsd or no lsd.

Originally Posted by Hulk
No however, if the pavement is wet it doesn't make a difference if you have a stock diff or LSD it will still engage the traction control

Thanks guys! That was exactly what I was going after but was probably not wording the question correctly. I understand the benefits of the LSD but wanted to make sure it didn't adversely effect the cars safety systems when I am driving on the street and they are turned on.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
You will be safe
Old 09-23-2012, 10:26 PM

2006 cls55
where to buy the LSD from an are they worth buying if i dont race my car
Old 09-24-2012, 04:35 AM

E63s - AMG and M6
Not worth buying, IMHO, if you don't track your car.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
Originally Posted by Hasan Shaikh
Not worth buying, IMHO, if you don't track your car.
I don't "track" my car as it is a "pig", but it is a fun street car and if you like to drive and enjoying controlling the rear with the throttle, a limited slip differential is a great addition to the car. That said, it is not needed to get the groceries....
Old 09-24-2012, 09:18 AM

E63s - AMG and M6
Originally Posted by cij911
I don't "track" my car as it is a "pig", but it is a fun street car and if you like to drive and enjoying controlling the rear with the throttle, a limited slip differential is a great addition to the car. That said, it is not needed to get the groceries....
+ 1
Old 09-24-2012, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cij911

I got my first thrill ride in a modded AMG last week... 540WHP / 580WTQ.

It was simultaneously exhilarating and terrifying with the rear tires spinning mercilessly against the pavement as the scenery started whipping by.

The car has a Quaife LSD in it and the most amazing part was despite all the wheelspin, the car was NOT pitching sideways. There was a slight squirm from the back end, and only minor steering wheel corrections were necessary to keep the car pointing straight ahead and gobbling up the road (I'm talking maybe 2" - 4" of steering wheel movement)...not any sort of crazy arms-crossed, opposite-lock hang-on-for-dear-life steering corrections that we've all seen people do.

Anyway.... it made a believer out of me. HP/TQ is one thing, being able to apply it to the ground in a controlled way and really ENJOY it is quite another.

-G
Old 09-24-2012, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by GregMB
I got my first thrill ride in a modded AMG last week... 540WHP / 580WTQ.

It was simultaneously exhilarating and terrifying with the rear tires spinning mercilessly against the pavement as the scenery started whipping by.

The car has a Quaife LSD in it and the most amazing part was despite all the wheelspin, the car was NOT pitching sideways. There was a slight squirm from the back end, and only minor steering wheel corrections were necessary to keep the car pointing straight ahead and gobbling up the road (I'm talking maybe 2" - 4" of steering wheel movement)...not any sort of crazy arms-crossed, opposite-lock hang-on-for-dear-life steering corrections that we've all seen people do.

Anyway.... it made a believer out of me. HP/TQ is one thing, being able to apply it to the ground in a controlled way and really ENJOY it is quite another.

-G
Whos car was it Greg?
Old 09-24-2012, 10:46 AM

2005 E55 AMG
you can all of the HP but if you can't put it to the ground is doesn't mean crap!!! I detuned my Cobra 110 rwhp just to get to a point where the car was driveable on the street. I have a built rear, eaton LSD,coilovers with drag springs, 335 MT drag radials and it still would not hook until I took away power!!! I am getting one for my 55 this winter just not sure which one yet
Old 09-24-2012, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Since nobody has really answered the OPs question and though I cannot specifically comment on the e55 traction control system, I can say that on prior cars when adding an LSD, traction control/stability control was no longer effective as both wheels are now read at the same speed in many situations and you WILL slide in turns/corners, no ands ifs buts about it, and faster than you can react. Again, have not read where someone with the setup has commented on this exact scenario as most here just go straight line.

I'm still going to get one shortly as it is one of my last mods, but canyon driving will take on a whole new meaning for me.

Last edited by pearlpower; 09-24-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:43 AM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by GregMB

-G
I'm definitely going ahead with the LSD for just this reason. It's one thing to make the power, but something else altogether getting it to the ground so you can use it. I was just worried that it might circumvent the ESP system or have other unwanted effects during "normal" driving. For the rare occasion my wife might be forced to drive the Beast to the grocery store etc. Lol
Old 09-24-2012, 11:57 AM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by pearlpower
I can say that on prior cars when adding an LSD, traction control/stability control was no longer effective as both wheels are now read at the same speed in many situations and you WILL slide in turns/corners, no ands ifs buts about it, and faster than you can react.
This was my first thought as well and I guess I'll just have to find out first hand how it handles after the install. I used to run Chevy muscle cars with LSD or posi-trac back in the day and they of course don't have any kind of traction control. The Beast puts power down in a whole different manner than those old cars do though, so we will see....
Old 09-24-2012, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Dirt Scooters
Originally Posted by Nino S
you can all of the HP but if you can't put it to the ground is doesn't mean crap!!! I detuned my Cobra 110 rwhp just to get to a point where the car was driveable on the street. I have a built rear, eaton LSD,coilovers with drag springs, 335 MT drag radials and it still would not hook until I took away power!!! I am getting one for my 55 this winter just not sure which one yet
Ive been down that road with the cobra. Changed to a solid 8.8 with GT calipers and 325/50-15 MT Drag radials. Never had a traction problem after that but i was never big into turns lol. I tried the 335/35-17 drag radials and they did somewhat ok but could do rolling burnouts at will.