Laser Interceptor dual installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
Laser Interceptor dual installation

Well I finally got around to installing my the LI dual on my 2006 e55. I still have a few tweaks that I would like to do and of course need to find someone / group to help test my setup.

The install was fairly straight forward with the following exceptions :

(1) Mounting on the e55 grill is a PITA. I really wanted to have a stealth install and have ordered another grill that I can play with to see if I can do better. In the end, I mounted the sensor on the outside of the grill based upon feedback from others.

(2) Finding an easy to reach grommet to run the wires through the firewall was more tricky than other cars I have worked on in the past, but in the end I used one right behind the brake cylinder on the drivers side.

I mounted the switch under the dash panel in the driver footwell area - cannot be seen unless you are on your knees looking for it.

I need to order an external speaker, or figure out how to incorporate the stereo mute functionality.

Most importantly, I would like to thank Cliff @ Laser Interceptor as he was a great help with the purchase / install, and provided about the best customer service I have ever experienced.
Attached Thumbnails Laser Interceptor dual installation-li-e55-front-small.jpg   Laser Interceptor dual installation-li-e55-side-small.jpg   Laser Interceptor dual installation-li-e55-under-dash-power-switch-small.jpg  

Last edited by cij911; 10-21-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

one car at a time
Now if anyone is in socal and can help me test, please send me a PM ...Thanks
Old 10-22-2012, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2004 E55
Sorry but that looks like ***
Old 10-22-2012, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

one car at a time
Originally Posted by AMGPilot
Sorry but that looks like ***
LOL ...yes I agree...fortunately you have to be under 10 feet to notice....Once I have the new grill, I will fingure out how to mount the sensors behind the grill and also have three way adjustability....
Old 10-22-2012, 05:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
My car is a W210 but the grille is somewhat similar. I was able to dremel the grille slat underneath my LI heads and get them in the grille. It took a lot more grinding then it looks like and you have to be careful not to mess up the grille (used several layers of tape in case I slipped up). It's also important to keep the heads straight and level. I'm thinking you could probably do the same with your 211. The heads on my car are completely unobstructed but the pic makes them look recessed deeper then they really are.

Last edited by suicidal4life; 10-22-2012 at 05:15 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

one car at a time
Originally Posted by suicidal4life
My car is a W210 but the grille is somewhat similar. I was able to dremel the grille slat underneath my LI heads and get them in the grille. It took a lot more grinding then it looks like and you have to be careful not to mess up the grille (used several layers of tape in case I slipped up). It's also important to keep the heads straight and level. I'm thinking you could probably do the same with your 211. The heads on my car are completely unobstructed but the pic makes them look recessed deeper then they really are.

That is what I was trying to do (and will still try when the new grill arrives). The problem I had was LI wants the sensors to be level and parallel on all three axis and I had a really hard time getting 0 degrees with the angle of the grill slots + the angle of the hood.

I am sure I can get it to work, but it will just take a lot more time than I was able to commit at the time.

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
I got my sensors to be zero level and as parallel possible. My sister's bf is a cop so I had him test it out for me and it work perfect, jammed signal over over 2K ft away. I'll take better pictures later.

Laser Interceptor dual installation-radar.jpg
Old 10-22-2012, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

one car at a time
Originally Posted by Peter_02AMG
I got my sensors to be zero level and as parallel possible. My sister's bf is a cop so I had him test it out for me and it work perfect, jammed signal over over 2K ft away. I'll take better pictures later.

Attachment 245902
That looks nice Peter, but your sensors are different than mine. Maybe they are thinner ???
Old 10-22-2012, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
This worked for me - - -

Old 10-22-2012, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E430
Originally Posted by cij911
That is what I was trying to do (and will still try when the new grill arrives). The problem I had was LI wants the sensors to be level and parallel on all three axis and I had a really hard time getting 0 degrees with the angle of the grill slots + the angle of the hood.

I am sure I can get it to work, but it will just take a lot more time than I was able to commit at the time.

Thanks for the help.
Like I mentioned it took quite a bit of grinding (a lot more then it looks like) and some time to get everything positioned straight and level. I had the grille on and off the car several times. I bolted the sensors together on a flat piece of wood (when working with the grille off the car) to keep them parallel with each other and used an angle finder like this

http://www.harborfreight.com/dial-ga...der-34214.html

to make sure the grille was at the same angle as when it's mounted to the car. Even doing this I still had to take the grille on and off several times during the process. If you can find the time and patience I'm sure you can get everything just the way you want it.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55, 2007 ML63, 2008 SLK, 2015 GLK350, BMW Z3, Dodge Power Wagon, Electric Smart car
Here are some photos of my install.

http://s256.beta.photobucket.com/use.../K40%20install
Attached Thumbnails Laser Interceptor dual installation-photo-3-.jpg   Laser Interceptor dual installation-photo-2-.jpg   Laser Interceptor dual installation-photo-1-.jpg   Laser Interceptor dual installation-photo.jpg  

Last edited by scoto; 10-23-2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cij911-
Here are some pictures of my Blinder M45 installation. I don't use the brackets the come with it. The sensors fit almost perfect between the grill and zero level just need some trimming. Cut away any access material from the grill than position the sensors than glue it in place with Permatex Clear RTV. I mount the LED in the instrument cluster bezel and the switch and speaker in the same location you did.

Laser Interceptor dual installation-front.jpg

Laser Interceptor dual installation-led.jpg

Laser Interceptor dual installation-sensor-grills.jpg

Laser Interceptor dual installation-sensor.jpg
Old 10-23-2012, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
I'll be installing a Passport SRXX in my 55 in the next couple of weeks and plan on using the lower bumper grill areas for it. I'll post some pics when done. I've done the install on customers cars before and pretty much every AMG so it should come out nice.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
E63S
Glad to see LI on here, I purchased the quad setup recently, returned the dual. Will be installing this week. Are those 8.9 heads? Theyre smaller than previous models..
Please post your first experience with them. Take a look on radardetectorforum.org great guys over there who can test it for you free.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

one car at a time
Originally Posted by E55Dimon
Glad to see LI on here, I purchased the quad setup recently, returned the dual. Will be installing this week. Are those 8.9 heads? Theyre smaller than previous models..
Please post your first experience with them. Take a look on radardetectorforum.org great guys over there who can test it for you free.
Yes mine are the new heads...I only got the dual as I don't really think I need rear coverage...That said I may get an additional sensor for the rear.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, SL63, ML550
This weekend I installed my unit. It consists of 2 laser shifters for the front, 1 radar sensor, and 1 laser shifter for the rear. I mounted the front shifters behind the center lower mesh grill. Cannot even see them unless you know they are there and are looking for them. Radar sensor when up higher behind the grill on the radiator support piece.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E430
Originally Posted by Shifter
This weekend I installed my unit. It consists of 2 laser shifters for the front, 1 radar sensor, and 1 laser shifter for the rear. I mounted the front shifters behind the center lower mesh grill. Cannot even see them unless you know they are there and are looking for them. Radar sensor when up higher behind the grill on the radiator support piece.

I would get that setup field tested as soon as possible. I'm thinking your results will not be very good with the heads mounted in that position.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, SL63, ML550
Originally Posted by suicidal4life
I would get that setup field tested as soon as possible. I'm thinking your results will not be very good with the heads mounted in that position.
Can you say why? Are the too low vs higher up?
Old 10-29-2012, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

one car at a time
I agree with S4life...The laser forums are full of data on best mounting locations and while your layout may work, having the laser "shifters" up higher and unobstructed has been shown to be better. Some guns may get JTG and others not...Looks great though
Old 10-29-2012, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

^^^^yup, you do not want anything metal or any object infront of the sensors. That where I had it at first but farther apart and it decrease the range by over half.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E430
Originally Posted by Shifter
Can you say why? Are the too low vs higher up?

Couple of things that catch my eye.

Although the heads are several inches wide the part that receives the LEO's (law enforcement officer's) laser signal is much smaller probably around 1/2" or less. This could easily be blocked by the mesh

Same goes for the diodes or LED's that fire the jamming signal back the to the LEO's gun they are small and could be blocked as well.

The most reflective, and dangerous, parts of the front of the car are the headlights, the license plate, and any chrome. You are not running a plate so that is not an issue but the chrome grille and the headlights are. Ideally you would want the heads closer to the headlights then they currently are. The beam from the LEO's gun is pretty narrow so you may be leaving the outside edges of your headlights unprotected.

Lastly your heads appear to be a few inches behind the leading edge of the bumper. This could be a problem if the LEO is shooting from an elevated point like an overpass or the top of a hill. The heads could be physically shadowed from the beam and never see it.

So anyway at the very least I'm thinking you should spread the heads a little further out towards the sides of the car, cut out the mesh in front of the heads, and push them out flush with the leading edge of the bumper. But even then I would still want to get them field tested in that lower position.