W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tranny stuck in seventh

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 06:50 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2007 e63 estate, 1998 ITB golf, ITE scirocco (sold to a collector in Japan)
tranny stuck in seventh

HI. I recently purchased something close to my dream car, an E63 Estate (it's not a clk-gtr and it's black, otherwise it's my dream car). anyway, recently, it has during long drives got stuck in seventh gear. no matter what i do (switch from comfort to sport to manual, flick the paddles, move the shifter laterally, it will not downshift. it resets if i pull over and turn off the ignition so it's not life threatening; however, if i am expecting to jump with a double or single downshift and it doesn't happen, i can get in a lot of trouble. does anyone know about this??

i've read about tranny's getting stuck in third and park; but, this is nothing like that. please help. thank you!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,487 Likes on 985 Posts
This place is a joke.
You need to have it scanned for codes. Most likely it needs a new control unit/electric plate assembly or possibly a valve body.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
You need to have it scanned for codes. Most likely it needs a new control unit/electric plate assembly or possibly a valve body.
are the codes on the obd? i am sorry that i am highly unfamiliar with MB systems. it seems that i need a "star" tool. i assume that there is some emulator for a PC that can be implemented and a cable constructed.
are the data for the tranny on another place? is the star completely independent of obd? is there a primer for this? sorry!!
Old 10-16-2012, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This place is a joke.
The data is not on the OBDII, yes you will need a dealer to read the transmission codes from the transmission itself or an independent shop who has Star Diagnosis. Call your local dealer and see what they charge for basic diagnosis/estimate , not sure in NY but around here it costs about $125-$150
Old 10-21-2012, 12:56 PM

ok, thanks. do you know of any independent and good mechs in nyc area??

thanks.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This place is a joke.
Sorry, don't know any in NY.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:51 AM

well, i did go to a dealer. two things: speed monitor or something like that and a shift/electric plate. i had the speed monitor done and it made no difference. they say that i need a special AMG plate that has to come from germany. none in us and it costs something like $1150! is there another solution (like a used one?) BTW, this happens more frequently when the tranny is hot. it doesn't happen when it is cold at all and in winter happens less than summer.

oh, yeah. it does seem to be able to shift up from 6th to seventh but not down. and once, just once, it stayed in second. and twice it went to neutral which is rather frightening.

Last edited by sciroccor; 11-20-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,065 Likes on 854 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Turbine speed sensor is out. Happens to every one of the seven speed trannys.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by BlownV8
Turbine speed sensor is out. Happens to every one of the seven speed trannys.
so, great. i talked with the dealer and they tell me to fix that i need a whole new shifter plate with valve bodies, that it's an AMG specific part tied to my VIN. to do the repair and for the parts, it's $1700! is this a robbery? can an independent place do it? i see that a lot of you have your own STAR tools, i assume that independent shops have them, too. is that all you need? please help. $1700 seems an awful lot of money for a sensor.

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2013, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This place is a joke.
That is about the going price for this repair at a dealer. Only a dealer or ISP who has a legitimate subscription or leased STAR from MB will be able to program and activate the new part...it is an antitheft part.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
That is about the going price for this repair at a dealer. Only a dealer or ISP who has a legitimate subscription or leased STAR from MB will be able to program and activate the new part...it is an antitheft part.
thanks. it's good to know. how does this part prevent theft?? does it have a transponder in it? does it mean that i couldn't put in a used transmission if i felt like it? (not that that seems like a particularly good solution...)

again, thanks! btw, know of any good independents in the boston area?
peter
Old 11-29-2013, 09:05 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
C215 CL55 AMG, W124 500E, W210 E430, W124 300E
Originally Posted by sciroccor
thanks. it's good to know. how does this part prevent theft?? does it have a transponder in it? does it mean that i couldn't put in a used transmission if i felt like it? (not that that seems like a particularly good solution...)

again, thanks! btw, know of any good independents in the boston area?
peter
Yes thats a very very good question and i woul like to find out too! :-)
That would be incredible.

And what is with the guys which run STAR clones in Developer mode?
I need to find that out, will use my mothers 7-speed powered W211 as gunia pig
Old 11-29-2013, 09:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2005- E55, 2007 GL450, 94 B3000
The transmission control unit has to send a start enable signal. There are several other control units that have to provide signals as well for the vehicle to start, run, and drive. They are all part of the DAS(drive authorization system). This is why it is nearly impossible to steal our cars. Unless you drag it on to a rollback.

This is the reason you have to go to the dealership for these components. There are forms that have to be filled out by the owner. Proof of ownership, and personal identification have to be verified before parts can be ordered.

You can swap a used valve body in to your transmission, but not a used conductor plate/control unit.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This place is a joke.
Originally Posted by 211.070
The transmission control unit has to send a start enable signal. There are several other control units that have to provide signals as well for the vehicle to start, run, and drive. They are all part of the DAS(drive authorization system). This is why it is nearly impossible to steal our cars. Unless you drag it on to a rollback.

This is the reason you have to go to the dealership for these components. There are forms that have to be filled out by the owner. Proof of ownership, and personal identification have to be verified before parts can be ordered.

You can swap a used valve body in to your transmission, but not a used conductor plate/control unit.
This is correct..once the trans ECU is married to the car, it will not work in another. If you were to buy a used transmission (722.9) you would have to install a new plate/control unit into it, and have it programmed at the dealer. The programming/coding is done online with MB's server in Germany. A cloned XENTRY will not work for this.