Sponsored by:

To warranty or not to warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 ML320, '06 E55
To warranty or not to warranty?

Is it a good idea to get a 2nd party warranty, if you buy a used car w/ plans on modding? From doing sum research I know that mechanical issues in these cars can really add up. I would hate to be stuck with a $4K + repair out of the blue and not have enough money to cover the repair (parts and labor). I hear many warranty companies try to get out of covering their policies quite often. Having mods can be an easy way for them to do that (if they can prove that the mod caused the issue) Many people here know their way around the toolbox as do I but I dunno if am mechanically inclined enough to handle major repairs on a E55 or E63, whichever I do decide to purchase in the future. Please chime in fellas, thanx in advance
Old 10-17-2012, 01:19 AM

W211 E55, 911 turbo, 911sc, RX330
Bought one last year before my Fidelity ran out. So far it has replaced a leaky fuel pump, repaired my ac system and is replacing an Airmatic strut this week.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:35 AM

'99 ML320, '06 E55
Originally Posted by WPOZZZ
Bought one last year before my Fidelity ran out. So far it has replaced a leaky fuel pump, repaired my ac system and is replacing an Airmatic strut this week.
What do u estimate the price on those repairs r?
Old 10-17-2012, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Sounds like an easy $5000
Old 10-17-2012, 08:51 AM

2004 E55 AMG
If the price is reasonable and they will cover everything, then absolutely. Most won't cover you and they ones that do, will charge you an arm and a leg. That being said, i just paid $4000 for repairs (parts and labor) on my e55.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
My warranty has paid itself off in 7 months of ownership :-)

cost was $3,300 - amount paid so far ~$4,100 in repairs

$1,200 for an active headlight alone

Last edited by Toadster; 10-17-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:08 AM

W211 E55, 911 turbo, 911sc, RX330
Originally Posted by BlueML99
What do u estimate the price on those repairs r?
Originally Posted by 03'55AMG
Sounds like an easy $5000
AC repair was something like $2500
Fuel pump was @ $1500 (I paid for one pump as the warranty did not cover revised parts
Airmatic strut is unknown as I'm waiting for the part to come in.

My warranty has a max payment on parts cost and labor rate, so I have to cover the difference. AC and fuel pump were done at the dealer, and out of pocket was @ $1200 total. Airmatic is being done at an indy and I just pay my $50 deductible. We are using the Arnott Airmatic which is a little over $600 with shipping, unsure on labor charges.

I paid $2k for my NAC Pinnacle 4 yr/50k, $50 ded. through my credit union.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
06 e55,81SC Targa,08 CLK63 BLK,91 E34 M5
Fidelity warranty is a good one I had it on my x5. I also had one for my range don't remember the name of it but they were crooks. So make sure to go in detail exactly what it does not cover.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG
Get the warranty, pays for it self in months. I bought mine from CarMax as they have smoking deals on extended warranties by major companies. (CNA backs mine.) Warranty cost me $2K and they've already covered more than $20K (parts and labor) in repairs.

My $.02.

Alex
Old 10-18-2012, 01:19 AM

'99 ML320, '06 E55
Originally Posted by alextaylor29
Get the warranty, pays for it self in months. I bought mine from CarMax as they have smoking deals on extended warranties by major companies. (CNA backs mine.) Warranty cost me $2K and they've already covered more than $20K (parts and labor) in repairs.

My $.02.

Alex
Do you think your carmax CNA warranty is just as good or even better than the companies that many people on this site use through their credit unions?
How do you get a repair done, is it as simple as going to an MB delear and having them contact CNA themselves or is it a lot of your own problem to get them to cover it?
The most important question of the day and the reason I made this thread, HOW DO YOU OR ANY OTHER FORUM MEMBERS GET THEM TO STAND BY YOUR WARRANTY W/ ALL THE MODS YOU HAVE? Did you ever have an issue w/ them trying to blame a malfunction on your mods so that they dont have to cover the repair? Thanx in advance fellas
Old 10-18-2012, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG
Do you think your carmax CNA warranty is just as good or even better than the companies that many people on this site use through their credit unions?
How do you get a repair done, is it as simple as going to an MB dealer and having them contact CNA themselves or is it a lot of your own problem to get them to cover it?
The most important question of the day and the reason I made this thread, HOW DO YOU OR ANY OTHER FORUM MEMBERS GET THEM TO STAND BY YOUR WARRANTY W/ ALL THE MODS YOU HAVE? Did you ever have an issue w/ them trying to blame a malfunction on your mods so that they dont have to cover the repair? Thanx in advance fellas
Yes CarMax has the best warranties at the best prices as they are the number one reseller of used cars nationally. 2 million in annual used car sales. Because of this, extended warranty compaines give CarMax fantastic deals which you can take advantage of.

For repairs you have to take it to the dealer so the trick is getting in good with the service manager and talk to them about what you've done. Basically say, "Loose lips, sinks ships" and ask him to keep your mods undercover if the adjuster comes out. I've done this to good effect with no issues. Also keep your mods fairly, "Stealth" and you'll be fine. This way unless the adjuster starts actively looking for something the service manager has your back.

Going forward I will only by my MB/AMG at CarMax just so I can get their warranties. I paid $2K for my CNA warranty and it's good from 23K miles to 93K miles or 5 years. I have a $75 deductable at the dealer but the warranty covers are parts/labor with no max payout limit. I even get a free MB loaner from the dealer.

I started a thread on this awhile back so search, "CarMax" and it should all be there.

Thanks.

Alex

Last edited by alextaylor29; 10-18-2012 at 02:16 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
How do you get a repair done, is it as simple as going to an MB delear and having them contact CNA themselves or is it a lot of your own problem to get them to cover it?
your SA is your buffer for repairs - he's the guy typing the documents, and if he has a good relationship with your technician - it's all the difference in the world to be honest...
Old 10-18-2012, 10:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG 2002 E55, 1997 E320

My $.02.

Alex
Wow - that a lot in repairs - did you get a PPI before your purchase?
Old 10-18-2012, 01:18 PM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
If affordable for you, get the warranty.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:50 PM

'99 ML320, '06 E55
Yes CarMax has the best warranties at the best prices as they are the number one reseller of used cars nationally. 2 million in annual used car sales. Because of this, extended warranty compaines give CarMax fantastic deals which you can take advantage of.

For repairs you have to take it to the dealer so the trick is getting in good with the service manager and talk to them about what you've done. Basically say, "Loose lips, sinks ships" and ask him to keep your mods undercover if the adjuster comes out. I've done this to good effect with no issues. Also keep your mods fairly, "Stealth" and you'll be fine. This way unless the adjuster starts actively looking for something the service manager has your back.

Going forward I will only by my MB/AMG at CarMax just so I can get their warranties. I paid $2K for my CNA warranty and it's good from 23K miles to 93K miles or 5 years. I have a $75 deductable at the dealer but the warranty covers are parts/labor with no max payout limit. I even get a free MB loaner from the dealer.

I started a thread on this awhile back so search, "CarMax" and it should all be there.

Thanks.

Alex
I would think most adjusters would know what to look for ie. a lowered vehicle may cause them to look for more mods. I read your other thread about them and it was helpful. Thanx, what your pretty much saying is to build a good repore w/ ur service manager and techs in the delear and they will look out for you. Becuz after all the more repairs you get the more business they get and everyone wins in the end if the reapir is covered by the warranty.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:51 PM

'99 ML320, '06 E55
Originally Posted by Toadster
your SA is your buffer for repairs - he's the guy typing the documents, and if he has a good relationship with your technician - it's all the difference in the world to be honest...
Call me stupid but what does SA stand for?
Old 10-19-2012, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Call me stupid but what does SA stand for?
service advisor - the guy who greets you and takes your money
Old 03-02-2015, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 135 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport

My $.02.

Alex
What is the name of your dealer?

And is anyong else using CNA?