19" Syling IV Rims

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 07:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55, F550, S600 Ducati 999
19" Syling IV Rims

I saw my first Benz with the new 19" Styling IV rims yesterday on an SL500. They do look better than the 18's, but not as nice as they appear in pics and certainly not as good as I thought. I know that these things are subjective, but at the dealership amongst 6 customers and staff, the comment was made and unanimously agreed that the Brabus rims look much better.
As I said, styling is very subjective and personal and I am also lucky that in Melbourne the only other Monoblock VI's I have seen are on the Brabus distributors SL55, so they are also unique.

The point of my post is that 19" rims are not cheap, so I would suggest that anyone thinking of buying the new AMG rims arrange to see them in the flesh, on a car before making the final decision. I was originally tossing up between the Brabus and AMG and wasn't sure that I'd made the right decision myself until I saw the AMG's in the flesh on a car yesterday.

I realise that many of you may actually prefer the look of the AMG's, but I personally found they did not have the same impact in real life as in pictures for me. Please no flames, I am only sharing my OPINION for the benefit of others and realise it is only my opinion, not a statement of fact.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Porcelain Bus
Re: 19" Syling IV Rims

Originally posted by stephens
I saw my first Benz with the new 19" Styling IV rims yesterday on an SL500. They do look better than the 18's, but not as nice as they appear in pics and certainly not as good as I thought. I know that these things are subjective, but at the dealership amongst 6 customers and staff, the comment was made and unanimously agreed that the Brabus rims look much better.
As I said, styling is very subjective and personal and I am also lucky that in Melbourne the only other Monoblock VI's I have seen are on the Brabus distributors SL55, so they are also unique.

The point of my post is that 19" rims are not cheap, so I would suggest that anyone thinking of buying the new AMG rims arrange to see them in the flesh, on a car before making the final decision. I was originally tossing up between the Brabus and AMG and wasn't sure that I'd made the right decision myself until I saw the AMG's in the flesh on a car yesterday.

I realise that many of you may actually prefer the look of the AMG's, but I personally found they did not have the same impact in real life as in pictures for me. Please no flames, I am only sharing my OPINION for the benefit of others and realise it is only my opinion, not a statement of fact.

Kaneman won't like this thread and will probably disagree with you, but here's my spin. IMO the stock 18" rims look great and do not need upgrading. I do not think the improved handling at the cost of ride comfort warrants a plus one change. The major deterrent, however is the cost of 19" wheels and tires.

What I find strange is offering the SL500 with stock 17" rims. I hate when MB skimps to save a few bucks.
Old 07-26-2003, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I absolutely agree with you that the Brabus Monoblock VI are very nice wheels. I think it is one of the best looking wheels in the market. However, this is my take on the AMG Style IV 19" multi-piece:

1) I think the AMG is, indeed, more rare in the US than the Brabus. Although you can easily order them through your dealership, it is extremely expensive. And independent importers do not have these wheels all the time.

2) I think I've seen more Brabus because the application can fit a lot of models ranging from W203 all the way up to R230. The AMG can only be fitted on a SL and W211. AMG wins the "exclusivity" factor.

3) AMG is less expensive than Brabus. There is a USD1500+ price difference (comparing between independent AMG importer and Brabus MSRP).

4) Some people might not want to put "aftermarket" stuff on their car. No matter how reputable Brabus are, they are still an aftermarket tuner. Since AMG is owned by MB, people have the peace of mind of installing AMG products and dont have to worry about warranty issues.

5) The quality of the AMG wheels is VERY high because they bear the Mercedes Benz name behind their back.

I would say if I were to compare the two head to head, its a draw.

Last edited by Harris; 07-26-2003 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-26-2003, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dr Chill
I was actually thinking about kaneman after I wrote the post. My purpose wasn't to upset anyone, the wheels do look nice, just not what I perceived from the pics. After seeing spy pics of the SL65 and SL55 performance package, I really had the hots for the wheels, so to speak. Then when I saw them in the flesh, the beauty that was there in 2D did not translate to the 3D image FOR ME.

It was a little like finally getting the top off the girl whose lovely **** I had lusted as a 16 year old, only to find she was wearing a padded bra.

Harris
All of the issues you posted are spot on. Those were exactly the things I was considering when I bought the rims. It was opportunity that made the decision for me, I ran into the newly appointed Brabus distributor for Australia, who had wheels in stock and the AMG rims were weeks away through a grey importer. I had a damaged front wheel that needed replacing and I was going on a holiday in the country that weekend, so needed an immediate solution.

A number of you have also shown great interest in these wheels, so I posted this, in case you had the same perception as me on seeing them in real life.

BTW IMO the improvement in raod feel and handling is worth the cost of upgrading to 19's, let lone the aesthetic improvement.
Old 07-26-2003, 06:31 PM

*LOL* These things are VERY subjective! It all depends on what one is looking for. In my case I REALLY like the styling IV wheel but thought it was a bit bland. I tend to like a low-key appearance but wanted a BIT more flash than the standard wheels. The 19" two-piece rim fit the bill exactly. I love the look and it's exactly what I want. I think the Brabus Monoblock VI's look stunning on and I was within a whisker of going for them. But, after looking at them vs. the 19" 2pc Styling IV I decided I wanted to stay a bit closer to stock. The Brabus were just a bit too much for my tastes. So, definitely no offense taken on this end. I think ANYTHING one does to modify their car to fit their taste better is wonderful. I definitely don't like or agree with it all but I'm all for people loving their machines enough to make them into exactly what they want.

Stephens, have you notice an increase in ride harshness with the 19's? I drove an E55 the dealer had on the lot and noticed a smoother ride, but less responsiveness with the stock wheels/tires. I suppose it could be the S-03s which I've heard are very very stiff tires.

Last edited by kaneman; 07-26-2003 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-26-2003, 07:12 PM
mhh

2012 MB E63 Wagon, 2012 BMW M5, 2010 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2010 Ferrari 458
They both look great to me. Stephens, the only remark in your thread that didn't ring true was the comment about how the guys at the dealer all liked the Brabus best. If I had that experience, I would figure that they were being polite!

Re Kaneman's comments on the stiff ride with S0-3's. It occurs to me that MB needs to recognise that large wheels are also about the look and not just performance, and they should increase the rolling radius of its wheel tyre combo a little. I don't think that owners who just want to go plus one with their wheel size should have to put up with 30% aspect ratio to do it.

By the look of the spy shots on the new M5, they will have 285/35 19's on the rear. The Audi RS6 also has a larger rolling radii both ends than the E55. For the "more luxurious" E55 to have lower profile rubber doesn't make sense to me.
Old 07-26-2003, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It is most readily felt over sharp edged ridges. One of my goals in both lowering and adding bigger wheels was to improve road feel on the car because it is too "soft" for my tastes as delivered. I am after more of a four door sports car than limousine. To me it is just right, however, I am running the Michelin Pilots. These are noticebly better riding than my wifes S03's on the BMW. I also used to drive in Sport II everywhere, but after downloading the link posted on MBWorld that explained what each setting actually did, I now use Sport I.
Old 07-26-2003, 08:02 PM
ZHH

2001 BMW M3
can you post that link?
Old 07-27-2003, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The file is a 1.1Mb PDF on the Airmatic suspension system. Click here to download.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Accord EX V6
Good info stephens....
Old 07-27-2003, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by mhh
They both look great to me. Stephens, the only remark in your thread that didn't ring true was the comment about how the guys at the dealer all liked the Brabus best. If I had that experience, I would figure that they were being polite!

Re Kaneman's comments on the stiff ride with S0-3's. It occurs to me that MB needs to recognise that large wheels are also about the look and not just performance, and they should increase the rolling radius of its wheel tyre combo a little. I don't think that owners who just want to go plus one with their wheel size should have to put up with 30% aspect ratio to do it.

By the look of the spy shots on the new M5, they will have 285/35 19's on the rear. The Audi RS6 also has a larger rolling radii both ends than the E55. For the "more luxurious" E55 to have lower profile rubber doesn't make sense to me.
It was a conversation I overheard as I came in to pick up my car, but I hear what you are saying.

As to your comment on aspect ratio's, you gave me n idea;
You can always change to the SL55 diff ratio (2.82 to 1) then the 35 profile 285 rear is a perfect fit gearing wise. It would also do a better job of filling the guards. A new diff is around 2000euro.

Last edited by stephens; 07-27-2003 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-27-2003, 05:06 PM
mhh

2012 MB E63 Wagon, 2012 BMW M5, 2010 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2010 Ferrari 458
Why didn't I think of that? Great idea!

I wonder if the new rolling stock would clear the guards and wheel housings? Has anyone tried this?
Old 07-27-2003, 05:26 PM

A160 CLASSIC (The Tardis), VW Passat Diesel
look forward to seeing some pics stephens...
Old 07-27-2003, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!