Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another sad day thread...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
Another sad day thread...

Just thought I would share that it was pretty shocking to me that my 03' Evo books higher than my 04' E55 Not really sure why these cars depreciate so much but at this rate, I may just keep it forever and keep it in the family. Granted my Evo has pretty low miles, and I am its original owner, but still. I was looking up a truck my brother is looking at buying and figured I would look up some of my cars while I was checking vehicle values, and kinda wish I hadn't. Oh well.

Aaron
Old 12-14-2012, 04:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
Just an old E class to those not in the know. Seems the market is pretty solid at 20-25 depending on years/miles/condition/options for the last year or so that I've been an owner.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 GL550
It's simple supply & demand, a lot of 18-25 year old's hunt for an Evo... very few even know what an E55 is and out of the few...half or better are scared to own a 5+ year old Mercedes in fear it may break !!$!$
Old 12-14-2012, 06:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I saw 3 local E55's being sold for $15-$19k ( 03-05 ) with low miles...it's ridiculous. I've never owned a car in my entire life that has depreciated this badly...and I bought it used. For those who bought it new, my heart feel for you.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
Evo FTW ....Fully built motor for ~$5-6K, easy to get 600 whp, AWD, handles like on rails, and cheap to own...Not comfy or luxurious...
Old 12-14-2012, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
E63S
Evo prices arent going anywhere. Back when i had my 35r '05 evo8 it would cost the same today as is did before, if not more. Plus kids are buying them crashing them and leaving less on the road hence the price will just keep rising.
No point to sell either. Modded or not. Evo wont lost cost, Selling the E is like a kick to the groin. Keep em!
Old 12-14-2012, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Originally Posted by E55Dimon
Evo prices arent going anywhere. Back when i had my 35r '05 evo8 it would cost the same today as is did before, if not more. Plus kids are buying them crashing them and leaving less on the road hence the price will just keep rising.
No point to sell either. Modded or not. Evo wont lost cost, Selling the E is like a kick to the groin. Keep em!
Agree with Dimo
The EVO 9 MR SE is totally ****. I think thats the only Mitsubishi that will truly hold its value. I think eventually the rest of the evolution line (8,9,and 10) will fall into place.

W211 AMGs do depreciate, but not as hard as the S Class or 6/7 Series BMW.
Look at how many AMGs are on the road now.

I mentioned this is another thread. Did some research while commenting on the Chrysler/MB Merger back in the day.

https://mbworld.org/forums/5467574-post15.html

Mercedes use to sell 75,000 cars a year back in the mid to late 90s. I can only count a handful of models available.....190E, 300 series, 400 series, the lone 500E (my fav), 420 SEL, 560 SEL, 560 SEC, 500 SL, the v12 and the AMG (mid 90s) equivalents. At the same time BMW sold twice as many in the USA.

Today MB moves over 240,000 cars over 3 times the amount back when they held value. Japanese/Koreans cars at this production level are reliable, have less things that break, and the fit and finish are equal if not better. When these cars hit the used car market, its no wonder why they depreciate. The days of a german car holding its value is long gone. Imagine if Roles tripled production of its submariner line? Kids out of college would be lining up to buy them at the jewellery counter in Macys.

Compare to cars for example....... Mazda sells as many cars in the US as mazda, but they dont have upper tier models that sell for six figures. Their cars are generally reliable, fun to drive, and are good value for the money. They dont have fussy features like panoramic sunroof, air suspension, oil suspension, electronic brakes, distronic......crap that breaks.

While their cars dont hold great value like ie....Hyundai (600,000+ cars in teh US BTW), the production numbers are equal. When a mazda hits the used car market, they are not in the shop every month, they havent left its owner stranded, owners arent filling out second mortgages to dix their cars. These factors help determine a used cars value.

If MBs were rock solid like they were in the 90s and were still made in the 70000+ a year range. Then these cars would hold their value and most likely very few of us would be here blogging about our cars. Wed be driving Mazda 6s like Toadster used to.

So the above tells me two things.....
First......that people are stretching their wallets to buy into MBs rather than cars their parent drove when they were their age.....ie Hondas, Toyotas, American Eagles, etc...

Second......Mercedes doesnt care about the second hand market. They intentionally designed their cars to be flawed when they reach the second owner. As long as they meet the sales targets, thats all they care about.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
I like the fact that they are getting cheaper, more spare parts for us