Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New here, need advice on buying an e55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New here, need advice on buying an e55

I currently am in an 02 z06 (440 rwhp) as my daily driver. I began driving a lot more for work than I was when I bought the car and it just isn't very practical for me. Also I feel like every time I turn around something is needing to be fixed.

I am looking for something more comfortable, and reliable but still fun to drive at times. Is this kind of car for me? Or am I going to have problems that I can't afford?

I found a black on black 05 e55 amg at a dealer with almost 90k miles on it. They are asking 20k for it. Does this sound like a good deal?

Thanks in advanced for any help!
Old 02-06-2013, 12:11 PM

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
W212 E63 AMG S Model
Originally Posted by Blake Stone
I currently am in an 02 z06 (440 rwhp) as my daily driver. I began driving a lot more for work than I was when I bought the car and it just isn't very practical for me. Also I feel like every time I turn around something is needing to be fixed.

I am looking for something more comfortable, and reliable but still fun to drive at times. Is this kind of car for me? Or am I going to have problems that I can't afford?

I found a black on black 05 e55 amg at a dealer with almost 90k miles on it. They are asking 20k for it. Does this sound like a good deal?

Thanks in advanced for any help!
Well, I've never owned a Z06 so I can't tell you which car is more reliable, but the E55 isn't the most problem-free car either. First and foremost, there's the infamous fuel sender leak which there's a huge thread on this forum about. Doesn't typically cause any breakage problems, but the long term effects can be bad (the fuel leaked onto a harness in my car and wouldn't allow the car to start due to shortage).

Just know that with buying any used car, especially with high mileage, maintenance is important. The shady used car dealerships end up letting the cars go for cheaper because they know it needs work and they just want to get it off their lot. If you buy from a trusted dealer (MB authorized), you could probably have a bit more trust in that they have taken care of some of the maintenance for the near future (at least it was the case in my situation).

As far as something comfortable and fun to drive, it's definitely that.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Someone mentioned you should have at least 3,000 dollars for repairs at any given time. That sounds very accurate to me. Because you will need it. Its not uncommon for people to buy a 25k + or - E55 and drop 4k-6k within the first few years of ownership. I think most of us have been there already.

Some people rejoice about warranty. But, you're still paying for it. You might save some but never the less you are still paying at least a couple thousand plus deductible.

BTW you should get the Z06 man. The power is unreal! It would be way more reliable then a mercedes. Either way you should report back so we can check out your new ride! Good Luck

Last edited by Max.H; 02-06-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Max.H
Someone mentioned you should have at least 3,000 dollars for repairs at any given time. That sounds very accurate to me. Because you will need it. Its not uncommon for people to buy a 25k + or - E55 and drop 4k-6k within the first few years of ownership. I think most of us have been there already.

Some people rejoice about warranty. But, you're still paying for it. You might save some but never the less you are still paying at least a couple thousand plus deductible.

BTW you should get the Z06 man. The power is unreal! It would be way more reliable then a mercedes. Either way you should report back so we can check out your new ride! Good Luck

Thanks for the advice so far guys, and I already have the z06. I get bored with cars pretty quickly though so me keeping one a couple years is pretty unlikely but who knows.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:27 PM

Also are the common problem you guys are having something I could have looked at by a third party before I bought from a used car dealership?
Old 02-06-2013, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
...I feel like every time I turn around something is needing to be fixed...
^ this will be same situation in the e55, it will just be more expensive when the bills come
Old 02-06-2013, 05:01 PM

2005 e55 amg w/mods, 2015 GMC diesel,2016 X5 Msport
Also are the common problem you guys are having something I could have looked at by a third party before I bought from a used car dealership?

Almost always get a Pre Purchase Inspection aka PPI
Old 02-06-2013, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Sold - 05' E55
Also, I would consider spending a few more dollars and get one with less mileage. If you take a look in the clasifieds you'll see some with nice mods already done, and with lower mileage. Like others have said keep some $ availble for repairs. I don't DD, but everytime I use it I love going for a spin.
GL
Old 02-07-2013, 03:11 PM

I cant really spend over 22k and from what ive seen its hard to find one black with low miles for that price around dallas area
Old 02-07-2013, 05:31 PM

any recommendations that might be good for what I'm looking for.. I love the e55 but probably cant afford to maintain one right now