Sponsored by:

E63 with high mileage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 01:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
07 E63
Originally Posted by BlueML99
I am in the process of searching for the same ehicle myself. The E63 headbolt issues is what has me leaning toward the E55. Still currently undecided. Good luck on ur search.
me too until i found out the E63 i bought had its engine completely replaced 30K miles ago..it had a failed exhaust valve spring or something.. looking at the records it cost $74,000 to replace the engine.. lol
Old 03-22-2013, 02:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 CTSV auto, 06 E55 white pano, 87 Grand national, 63 split window
Originally Posted by ArmoE55

The motor/tranny are the LEAST of your worries with a W211 E55.

You need to do some research before choosing as it sounds like you don't know what you're getting yourself into.

With only a $20-$25K (for an E55 and especially for an E63), budget, you're likely buying a repair/maint nightmare of a car. These were once $80-$110K cars brand new.
They are out there for low money and it does depend on if you have anyone to repair them for NOT what mercedes charges. I bought my 2004 e55 with 78k mi for $16500 with a brand new idler pulley included and I put that in. I put in motor mounts and one rear strut (one was bad because of a blowout from previous owner) parts cost me $256 for the mounts and $485 strut, oil change, I did it myself, had two wheels redone to brand new, then had Bruce at TT do a tune, cold air tube and K&N filters... total investment for a car that now needs nothing...for now...lol....$18100 and that is with a tune and the cold air goodies. Next is headers and I am done. I will have close to $20k into it and it should run pretty good! Mine also has drilled and slotted rotors which I forgot.

If you can't do it yourself then there are plenty of guys to do the work cheaper...I know of two guys with in 10 miles of me here on Long Island who do benz work on the side including Bruce at TT motorsports. So it all depends on your situation. If you do not know anyone then I am not even sure what my repairs would have cost from Mercedes...someone on here must know labor rate and hours for the stuff I did.

As far as buying the parts...when I first got it I just wanted to do it asap so I just bought the parts wholesale (through a friends shop) from mercedes...I bet I could have gotten better parts for cheaper if I asked about them on here first.

Last edited by 60nomad; 03-22-2013 at 03:20 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 ML320, '06 E55
Originally Posted by 60nomad
They are out there for low money and it does depend on if you have anyone to repair them for NOT what mercedes charges. I bought my 2004 e55 with 78k mi for $16500 with a brand new idler pulley included and I put that in. I put in motor mounts and one rear strut (one was bad because of a blowout from previous owner) parts cost me $256 for the mounts and $485 strut, oil change, I did it myself, had two wheels redone to brand new, then had Bruce at TT do a tune, cold air tube and K&N filters... total investment for a car that now needs nothing...for now...lol....$18100 and that is with a tune and the cold air goodies. Next is headers and I am done. I will have close to $20k into it and it should run pretty good! Mine also has drilled and slotted rotors which I forgot.

If you can't do it yourself then there are plenty of guys to do the work cheaper...I know of two guys with in 10 miles of me here on Long Island who do benz work on the side including Bruce at TT motorsports. So it all depends on your situation. If you do not know anyone then I am not even sure what my repairs would have cost from Mercedes...someone on here must know labor rate and hours for the stuff I did.

As far as buying the parts...when I first got it I just wanted to do it asap so I just bought the parts wholesale (through a friends shop) from mercedes...I bet I could have gotten better parts for cheaper if I asked about them on here first.
How much did Bruce charge you for the work? Did u get the tune from him also? He is local and I heard pretty good things about him so I think I will try to get him to work on my car. Where sis u purchase ur stock parts from mounts and struts, as well as the aftermarket parts, cold air tubes and K&N, etc... Thanx man
Old 03-22-2013, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BlueML99
How much did Bruce charge you for the work? Did u get the tune from him also? He is local and I heard pretty good things about him so I think I will try to get him to work on my car. Where sis u purchase ur stock parts from mounts and struts, as well as the aftermarket parts, cold air tubes and K&N, etc... Thanx man
I got the stock mounts and struts from mercedes but I bet that you can get them cheaper...especially the strut. Maybe even Bruce can them cheaper not sure. You may want to get the mounts from an aftermarket place as well bc they may be better and cheaper again...not sure. I get them wholesale bc my buddy owns a shop and ocasionally play with old collectible muscle cars. That said...see what the best route is and if you need me to get you some parts then it is not a problem just PM me your phone number.

I got the air tube and K&N from Bruce, he did the work on that and tuned it. I could have done the stuff myself and had him tune it but he is entitled to make money and I didn't want to do anymore work to it. So, it was a package along with a few other minor stuff so I can't pinpoint exactly what the tune, filters, tube and labor were on just that stuff. Just call him after 9am at 631-420-1500...mention big brian's 2004 e55 and he will shoot you a price. He is doing headers for me also very soon. Just waiting for them to arrive.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
You can get 75k E63 for under 30k all day. Better stretch your budget cause you will be modding this car and it will get expensive quick. I would recommend 2006 E55 with low miles and cheaper to mod. Brakes alone on the E63 will cost $3k almost vs. E55 which is less than $750
Old 03-22-2013, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by djrabbi
You can get 75k E63 for under 30k all day. Better stretch your budget cause you will be modding this car and it will get expensive quick. I would recommend 2006 E55 with low miles and cheaper to mod. Brakes alone on the E63 will cost $3k almost vs. E55 which is less than $750
I was originally looking for an e55 then saw how cool the e63 was and starting looking for them also...I gave up after 2 months and found my e55 by accident...but after hearing all this about the e63, which is all facts, I would never EVER buy an e63. I am thrilled to have found my e55 by accident with all maintainance done, faster then most all 63s will be and I have a little more than my deposit would have been into my 55 which is partially modded by me!....and money is NOT the issue...it's principle! I rarely even use my 55...for the guys that use them everyday...very cool car to drive everyday...especially the 63's but I just use them differently! I just sold my 1991 GMC sysclone which has 17k orig miles and I put about 80 miles on it in 18 months...I am sure you guys get the point. Above is just my opinion.

I will buy a 2012 or 13 e63 when they are proven to not be nightmares and when the price drops...A LOT!
Old 03-22-2013, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by djrabbi
I would recommend 2006 E55 with low miles and cheaper to mod.
It also depends what people consider low miles. To me, a 7-8 year old car with less than 60K miles is low miles.

For instance, my car has 41K and I consider that low for an almost 8 year old car (5-6K miles PER YEAR, on average).

Low mileage 06s are VERY scarce nowadays, especially well maintained stockers.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ARMOE55: I notice that your car is flint grey...I don't know if my car is pewter or flint grey! lol Not too good with colors but it looks grey! I guess I have to take a picture and post it.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone here got his car from Manheim auction? How was the process? I know it should go through a broker but can you really got a nice car from the auction ?And does worth all the hassel?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2006 E55
Depends if you have an inside dealer connection.

Damn near half of my family is a dealer - either own a used car lot, service lot, or both. Aside from my most current 06, I have bought all my cars, BMWs, MBZs etc. from Manheim PA. It is awesome there and anybody that has done gone through a large auction experience should go.

The key is to check out the car before it runs through, possibly talk to the dealer(s) selling the car, and go from there.

Two of my previous cars, I picked up before it ran through the auction as we 'worked' out an agreement with the dealer.

There are very nice cars that come through, but be careful, as many nice cars that come there, there are just as many 'as-is', flood-damaged, frame-damaged, POS cars that run through that appear to be gems.

Again, the key is have/know someone that is a regular at these auctions and knows what they're doing; a lot of sharks there. Get someone that knows the ins and outs and you should find the perfect car - might take some time and research, but you will find one.