Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E63 Regret

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
Originally Posted by Critter
Scott, Your E63 has only 1 battery and it is in the trunk, under the mat on the passenger side. If it is the original battery then a replacement would not be a waste of money. Look for a dating on the battery to be sure, these cars like good constant voltage and a weak or old battery will put a strain on the altenator as well as other components which will lead to more pop ups on the dash. Stay strong and enjoy, the 55 guys are showing some envy as they wish they had one too. Bring on the h8ters of the 63, not everyone buys a perfect car oh did we say heat soak, never experienced this in a 63! Oh yes get the ESP fixed ASAP, you need it.
The only E63 that I have envy for has 2 turbos on it right out of Affalterbach. I'd rather heat soak then stretch/crack head bolts or have valvetrain problems. Lol I suspect the feeling rings true for moat every 55 owner.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Originally Posted by forcefed4door
same goes for the b5 s4 vs b6/b7... why the manufactures move backwards at times is strange.
If you, or anyone else is making the argument that Mercedes Benz AMG moved backwards with the M156 platform in the W211, I'd say you are highly mistaken. Yea, sure it doesn't have the power potential like the E55 variance, but then again not everyone is looking to do ~10 second quarter miles (and their engines going kaboom as I've read about on here quite frequently with the E55 guys) from what I've read from the OP, sounds like he's happy with the performance of his car on more than likely a stock setup. He just really wants something reliable, and his luck of the draw for his E63 wasn't the greatest. I have now owned two lightly modded AMG's which are both naturally aspirated that make plenty of power, and have been nothing short of an amazing experience. The E63 is plenty quick, and on occasion I have no doubt will beat a lightly modded E55 (I have video proof against a modded SL55 ) the OP in this case bit the bullet, bought the car with these issues more than likely existing from the wonderful private party or dealer, and should take the car to the dealer for some diagnostic. These are the main issues that go on with this car so knock on wood you should be fine if you don't notice anything else going on in the car. E55's have the better transmission that's for sure, watched a 1,000HP Chrysler 300C do some passes a few weeks ago with an E55 transmission converted in it. My point is, all motors and platforms have had their fair share of issues, regardless of price point. More expensive brand new definitely does not equal "should be more reliable"

Last edited by MIKESV8; 05-03-2013 at 02:12 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:13 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
05 E55, 06 Audi S4
I'm not saying it doesn't look better or have a better motor/trans technically speaking, but no doubt has less modability. think 2jz. also think dinosaur, haha. old stuff but can be a lot of fun.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
You're about a walking misconception arent you. I understand that you like your car, no one will try and take it away from you. But I'm sure I'm not alone in that what drew me to the AMG brand is that I'm an enthusiast to the core. And as an enthusiast I can't believe that Mercedes put that gutless engine in these heave cars after having a well matched FI powertrain in the previous models.

I was working out in LA a few years ago when the owner of the company I was helping took me to lunch in his wife's E55. He had done the usual list of bolt ons to the car but never told his wife he screwed with it. I was amazed how quiet and smooth this car was, and even in deep 11 second trim, his wife drive their kids around in it and had no idea it was so fast. I wanted one bad.

So fast forward and I go out to buy one, and since they're not made anymore I want the newest one. So I go drive a clean black 2009 E63 not knowing that the body style stayed while the blown engine went away. We pull out of the car lot and I get a little feel for it first before getting on I4 where I can stretch its legs safely. I floor it coming off the on ramp and never forget the disappointment... "what the f**k is this crap?" The salesman was cool as hell ,but to him he's all pumped up over there like we're coming off turn 4 at Daytona or something. Instead he's looking at the sour look on my face and I'm asking him what's wrong with it? I only then found out the differences in years, and then I found this forum.

Don't get me wrong, the 6.2 is a sick engine, it just belongs in the C class or the SLK, and that's about it. A TVS2300 Eaton on top of it like the GMs got on their 6.2 (C6)would have made all the difference in the world. The 7 speed Trans is an OK bandaid for the weak powerband, but it's no substitute for FI.

So at that point, the 06 was the only option for me but I didn't like that some of the body parts were older so I had already collected most of the 63 exterior conversion parts before I even bought my car

I understand that the 55 isn't perfect, but its damn close, so MB should have been tweaking the nuances of the 55K like the undersized intercooler, instead of shooting themselves in the foot with the NA engine.

Scott, Your E63 has only 1 battery and it is in the trunk, under the mat on the passenger side. If it is the original battery then a replacement would not be a waste of money. Look for a dating on the battery to be sure, these cars like good constant voltage and a weak or old battery will put a strain on the altenator as well as other components which will lead to more pop ups on the dash. Stay strong and enjoy, the 55 guys are showing some envy as they wish they had one too. Bring on the h8ters of the 63, not everyone buys a perfect car oh did we say heat soak, never experienced this in a 63! Oh yes get the ESP fixed ASAP, you need it.

Last edited by Sir-Boost-a-Lot; 05-03-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Oh well guys I do feel slighted, but I really do not care about the difference between a deep 11 car and a slow 12 second car. I drive it to enjoy and since 100km/hr or 62mph for the younguns is max here in Canuck it only takes away a few heartbeats of life to get there. LOL
Had the cars for years now and can count the number of times on two hands that the throttle was near the floor, but enjoy your 55's we are all in the same vein. AMG
Old 05-03-2013, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Oh well guys I do feel slighted, but I really do not care about the difference between a deep 11 car and a slow 12 second car. I drive it to enjoy and since 100km/hr or 62mph for the younguns is max here in Canuck it only takes away a few heartbeats of life to get there. LOL
Had the cars for years now and can count the number of times on two hands that the throttle was near the floor, but enjoy your 55's we are all in the same vein. AMG

Check this out a slouch C63 apples to apples FI
Look what that slug 63 motor does with a little force feed
929 HP Woo Hoo