Push start button stopped working !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
06 e55,81SC Targa,08 CLK63 BLK,91 E34 M5
Originally Posted by 211.076
Keep in mind this guy was saying he wasn't even getting the cluster to come on. Its doubtful that the brake lamp switch is at fault here. In order for that to even come into effect, the car would at least need to turn on, so in this case the switch wouldn't even be a factor in preventing it from starting.

The easiest "try something" at this point would be the remote batteries. Check to see if there is a little red light flashing on your key when you try to lock/unlock. If there is, the remote batteries are fine. If its anything more than that, its better to take it to the dealer and have them process the fault. Rather than sitting here tossing countless amounts of money on parts that may or may not be the problem, then just coming right back in this thread to say: "Changed this part that everyone said, still doesn't work." Every car is different. Granted, it could be a common problem fix, or some off the wall CAN communication problem.
i agree
Old 07-23-2013, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
for those interested in the Knob thing
.. more pics here

https://mbworld.org/forums/w219/5073...epair-mod.html

EDIT : the word KNOB causes the link to not work .. so try this
https://mbworld.org/forums/5723380-post1.html

CLS 219 section

Last edited by dyno; 07-24-2013 at 02:36 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
I am late to this thread .. but for future reference if you want to check the function of your start button do the following:
1. Press start button without foot on brake. The lights on the cluster should illuminate after pressing the button (once or twice), this is like turning the key to ACC.
a. If there is no response, then you likely have a bad switch.
b. If there is response, try pressing brake pedal, if the response is the same as without pressing the brake pedal and the car will not start, you likely have a bad brake pedal switch

2. If you suspect bad switch (no response at all), remove the knob. You will see two holes at the top of the metal part of the shifter. These are where the prongs in the shift knob go into. You can use a paper clip and short the two holes together using the clip. If the clip triggers start or ACC, then you have bad contact or switch. Check the prongs on the knob. If there is no response whatsoever you may need to hook up a DAS to see if the car can detect the key if none of these work.
The following users liked this post:
Shane3105 (04-26-2020)
Old 07-24-2013, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Correct statement- Turbo97se
Good diagnostic breakdown
Old 11-03-2014, 03:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Hi there. I'm new to this forum and I've read your experiences with this start button issue. Unfortunately it seems that none of you found the solution to the problem.
Here is my case: My start button also suddenly stopped working. I did pull off the shifter boot and disassembled the button. I measured the switch when pushing it, and it works fine. I don't think the problem can be caused by the break pedal switch, since the instruments should light up when pushing the start button, without pressing the brake pedal or doing anything else. (it did when the button was working...)
Has anoyne out there found out what was wrong ??.

Best regards, Michael. Denmark.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:40 AM

2005 E55
Mine had the same problem, it was a broken wire in the shifter itself. Pretty easy fix, here is the PDF I used to fix it.
Attached Files
Old 11-03-2014, 12:02 PM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
04 e55
I have intermittent problems -- if I let it set for a couple of days it fires right up ,, drive it around for a while and the button wont turn it off (I have to place the fob into the ignition),, then other times it starts and stops the way its supposed to -- then other times it doesn't work at all ? -- any thought on diagnostics for this ? -- batteries are new, door handle locks all work , brake light seems to be OK , and I cleaned the contacts on the pushbutton and put an ohm meter on it and seems work push on/off seem to work correctly --
-- it is close to Halloween so maybe its haunted
Old 11-03-2014, 02:02 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Hi Hayseed.
I am pretty convinced that the pdf from SoCal55k will solve both yours and my problem. I will try this tomorrow. It is the same as this thread : https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post6218416

Best regards, Michael. Denmark.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 E55 AMG, 65 Nova
Mine had the same issue and the cause was latte dubble pump grande, hold the frappe but with two scoops of free range marshmallows === spilled into the switch from the previous "shaky hands" owner. Cleaning was no help. Pulled the shifter knob and did the shorted pins trick. It started right up.

$200.00 new knob, boot and plate from the stealership all is well. I am keeping the broken wire sheet for future reference tho...

Thanks SoCal55!
Old 11-04-2014, 11:15 AM

2004 E55 AMG
Yep.... Fixed !! As expected it was the tiny 2 wires from the shifter stick that was broken. I pulled the short end of the wires back through the hole and soldered a new flexible wire onto it. I used a wire from a pair of small headphones. These wires are very soft and perfect for this purpose.

Best regards, Michael
Attached Thumbnails Push start button stopped working !-20141104_140959-large-.jpg   Push start button stopped working !-20141104_144756-large-.jpg  
Old 10-16-2016, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E320 CDI, 2011 ML350 4Matic
Keyless Go Start Button Fix

Hey I found the problem for the keyless go button on the shifter not working. You can take the knob off and check the switch with a meter. Found ours to be fine and saw a post about the wires at the bottom of the shift lever broken. That was it on ours. You can look down the center with a flashlight if you pop off the wood around the shifter and get it out of the way. The wires come out of the center of the shift lever (its hollow) and make a sharp turn. Shifting it back and forth eventually breaks them off. (See Pic9) It was kind of a ***** to fix because the center console had to come out and the wires are not very long to get in to solder back together. Anyway here some pics. The posts that I found to help me take out the center console didn’t show this screw that holds the back ash tray or vent that's on the back for the back seat passengers. Its big and beefy. Once you take out the front 2 screws for the box the back has metal clips that pop out. See pics for the metal clips I'm talking about. Then you can get that screw from inside back (pic5) to release the vent off the back. I don’t have photoshop so I can’t put the arrows on my pics like some high tech guys on here but you’ll see it. The yellowish plastic cover has to be pried off at the bottom once you remove the screws that hold down the shift mechanism. I used a decent scraper(pic8) and put some old magazines down to protect the wires around it while kinda prying the glue. It came off pretty easy really. Once you have it off you have enough room to work on the wires. Last pic shows wires back together with some shrink tubing on to protect them. Hope they last a while. Anyway hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Push start button stopped working !-sc0.jpg   Push start button stopped working !-sc1.jpg   Push start button stopped working !-sc2.jpg   Push start button stopped working !-sc3.jpg   Push start button stopped working !-sc5.jpg  

Push start button stopped working !-sc6.jpg   Push start button stopped working !-sc7.jpg   Push start button stopped working !-sc8.jpg   Push start button stopped working !-sc9.jpg   Push start button stopped working !-sc10.jpg  

Old 08-30-2018, 12:30 PM

2005 clk320 cabriolet
Just a quick note.

Originally Posted by AMG E Power
Any ideas what could be wrong guys ? I can still keep the key Fob in my pocket and open the doors and unlocked them through the handles but, no luck with push start
mine stopped a's well, old age i guess...but I discovered that I could push start button and toggle shifter to the right a ltitle and it would fire right up. Been using like that for a year. It works, until it doesn't ...then new one.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:48 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
W211 E63 ESTATE
This thread was really helpful. I started seeing ESP Inoperable, and my push button stopped working as well. Interestingly, it seems to work fine if I depress the leftmost side of the brake. I'm positive it's the break switch.
Update: it was the brake switch for sure. Don't buy anything other than OEM. I did, and the switch's threads did not properly fit into their channel causing more problems.

This is the correct switch (and OEM) for 2007 + 2008 W211's, https://ebay.us/yTPnGR

Last edited by BobsACoolGuy; 11-23-2018 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Updated
Old 01-26-2020, 07:35 PM

Sl r230 350
Clé pas identifiée

Bonsoir s'il vous plaît j'ai le message de la clé non identifiée
si vous avez une idée d'où vient le problème aidez moi merci
Old 02-09-2020, 10:59 AM

2004 E55 AMG
If you post in English you will be helped a lot better :-)