W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Split cooling procedures/instructions...trunk tank necessary?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 03:51 PM

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by MR E55 AMG
  • So Drothgeb , red and yellow go together to power and brown is ground right ? Also should I run it how I have it now , directly to the fuse box or should I connect it back through the stock wiring?

I just used stock wiring. Based on the pic I think the red and pink wires of the harness connect together and go to the factory positive and the brown of the harness goes to the factory negative, but you should be able to look at the connector pins and see small numbers on the plastic some where to let you know which pin/wire is which number just to make sure.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 137 Posts
2019 Jeep Trackhawk, 2002 CLK55, 2014 911 Carrera
Originally Posted by SuperChargerE55
Not Difficult but all depends on your own skills of course

First I found it to be a PITA but found not that at all and on mine you cant just jank the fan out and from bottom and up no space what so every complete waste of time unless you want remove everything first,
I did mine all from above and down engine bay no issues

Yes it drops I also posted som logings in another thread this one:

I diffently advice UPGRADE Pump first no need go to crazy for the pump but a better than the factory one that alone is a must really I strongly advice it.
And no need to trunk tank NO just like you said it all depents on your goal, I love this it pretty straight forward and really not expensive upgrade works like a charm work for me now I never had problems since

You WONT lower the IAT's but you wil get a much improved recovery time and that is the goal.
, the faster it recovers or some say regenerates it doesnt matter all the same
the faster your supercharger /Kompressor is ready for BOOST
no heat soaking.
Yes mine dropped a bit to it also depens on daily weather if you keep loggig you will se it go up and down depending on weather I logged so much I got tired of it lol starring at that thing hahah.
I can with ease in mind say this IT WORKS and you wll be happy, also if your pump today is ok no heat soak start here wait witht he pump but if you want have more upgrade to a better pump.

Here my logs before and after
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...uctions-4.html
and here is the procedure added

flow diff pumps
Topsflo TA50 1.8 gpm
CM30 3.37 gpm
bosch 002 4.03 gpm
bosch 010 5.13 gpm
CWA50 5.56 gpm
VRP Superflo 7 gpm

Sorry I didnt have time to put in good but hope it works for you: is really easy
but MAKE Sure you have som clambs to hold the lines so yo dont loose to much fluid some will be lost.
Good luck bro
I made it even simpler and just ran a 3/4" hose up from the coupling (not a reducer) coming out of the factory T, put a plug in the end and zip-tied it between the SBC pump and the fender. No BMW reservoir needed; the 2-feet of 3/4" hose is the fill-point and acts as a small reservoir.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Originally Posted by JoeJErnst
I made it even simpler and just ran a 3/4" hose up from the coupling (not a reducer) coming out of the factory T, put a plug in the end and zip-tied it between the SBC pump and the fender. No BMW reservoir needed; the 2-feet of 3/4" hose is the fill-point and acts as a small reservoir.
Nice! I never liked the look of that reservoir.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:53 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Hey guys, for those with split cooling setup. What fluid you using? I been using the normal coolant system fluid that is oem, but been thinking since it is split can't we use straight water for the most efficient fluid? Or is it to corrosive...

Last edited by C32owner; 09-09-2018 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:15 PM

Received 143 Likes on 107 Posts
N/A
Originally Posted by C32owner
Hey guys, for those with split cooling setup. What fluid you using? I been using the normal coolant system fluid that is oem, but been thinking since it is split can't we use straight water for the most efficient fluid? Or is it to corrosive...
Antifreeze added to water raises the boiling point as well as being an anti corrosive agent. I would use distilled water and antifreeze for that reason.

Last edited by Fountain35; 09-09-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:06 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
E55 AMG V8 Kompressor 2004 E 55 AMG Type: 5,439 cc (5.439 L; 331.9 cu in) Supercharged V8 Powe
Originally Posted by C32owner
U can but shouldn't
u can use destiled water and or like I use premixed like org + add some
Redline Water Wetter Coolant Additive
But only add to ur Resovoir not and never in engine coolant.

I did some experimental because I was like u but always used destiled water but we don't care about boiling point anymore not when splitted and we talk pure IC Resovoir since these 2 know have each their refill points and what is all about now is
1 thing only = fast regeneration a super fast pump and the correct mix and
not overfill ur resovoir a bit over half full mate.

if in doubt use premixed just like always. Be good to engine internal parts. Especially E55 before split my good so bad
Old 09-13-2018, 04:33 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Originally Posted by SuperChargerE55
U can but shouldn't
u can use destiled water and or like I use premixed like org + add some
Redline Water Wetter Coolant Additive
But only add to ur Resovoir not and never in engine coolant.

I did some experimental because I was like u but always used destiled water but we don't care about boiling point anymore not when splitted and we talk pure IC Resovoir since these 2 know have each their refill points and what is all about now is
1 thing only = fast regeneration a super fast pump and the correct mix and
not overfill ur resovoir a bit over half full mate.

if in doubt use premixed just like always. Be good to engine internal parts. Especially E55 before split my good so bad
Thanks, I am going to drain out my split cooling system fluid and put mostly distilled water in then add a little coolant fluid in for a very watered down mix. I doubt I am going to see a difference but I have an enquiring mind.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55 AMG
Hi! I jus get my trunk tank, just wondering, do I need one or two pumps?? I have Bocsh 101 in stock place, But If I can run with only one pump, I would rather but it in the trunk tank ( Example Rune14A 3700 HD )
So,.... my way???
- Stay with the Bosch ( Stock location )
- Add Rune to trunk tank ( Using two pumps )
- Remove Bosch and add Rune to trunk tank
Old 07-17-2019, 09:56 AM

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
12' E559
few months bump i know. for the CL/SL class . i get the addition of the bmw res is the fill point. but do i even need it? all im looking to do is split it and forget it. im not doing track days or anything all im looking for is a reduction in temps.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 137 Posts
2019 Jeep Trackhawk, 2002 CLK55, 2014 911 Carrera
Originally Posted by Blkvip
few months bump i know. for the CL/SL class . i get the addition of the bmw res is the fill point. but do i even need it? all im looking to do is split it and forget it. im not doing track days or anything all im looking for is a reduction in temps.
I did not add a reservoir to mine. I just ran a hose from the "T" up behind the headlight, near the SBC unit and put a plug in it, then tucked it out of sight.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:37 PM

Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
CLS55
If you bleed it thoroughly no res. My res has a pressure cap to bleed off air..
Old 07-17-2019, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
99 ford lightning
03/04 cobra tank and a good pump
Old 07-17-2019, 06:52 PM

CLS55
Pretty sure sl/cl is self bleeding from factory so you'll need to be mindful of the bleed line returning to main engine res from IC circuit when splitting..
Old 07-17-2019, 07:15 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by Blkvip
I personally saw no change in temps from not split to split with the BMW reservoir. If you aren't looking to split the systems to allow draining/filling the intercooler/hx loop with pure distilled water or something like that I would recommend not wasting your time.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:23 PM

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
2004 E55 AMG / 2019 Audi Q7
i read thru a few old split cooling threads yesterday and it seemed to be all the rage 6-7 years ago but i thought that i had recently read that most people say it's useless. i went drag racing last and some additional cooling would be great but would most of you say don't bother?

also - i noticed people saying that the new bmw reservoir is just a fill tank...what does that mean? would filling that with ice at the drag strip not help?
Old 07-18-2019, 03:30 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by kiluminati616
i read thru a few old split cooling threads yesterday and it seemed to be all the rage 6-7 years ago but i thought that i had recently read that most people say it's useless. i went drag racing last and some additional cooling would be great but would most of you say don't bother?

also - i noticed people saying that the new bmw reservoir is just a fill tank...what does that mean? would filling that with ice at the drag strip not help?
It means the BMW reservoir is a spot that you can add fluid to the system at. In stock form it shares the engine coolant reservoir. If you split them you need to be able to put coolant in the inter cooler circuit some where, either using this, or tanks, or heat exchangers with a fill cap like the DTK one, or as JoeJ mentioned above just running a line up and putting a plug in it. Ice would do little to nothing in the BMW tank because it's very small, and it's not added in a flow path (fluid is not going into and then out of it) it's just a fill point/expansion volume with only one line that runs to it. If you need more cooling for a close to stock set up I would start with a bosch 010 pump, and then a bigger a second hx if more is still needed. From my personal experience I'd skip the splitting/bmw reservoir stuff I saw no difference before and after.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:00 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 392 Likes on 284 Posts
E55 C63
Correct, the Split cooling reservoir regardless of its capacity will not have any effect on cooling beyond the split itself.

We find 7-10* drop in IATs from the split cooling kit.

Now, a TANK with in and out flow will vary alot with capacity. The best "split cooling" option on the market would be an engine bay tank.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:22 PM

CLS55
With my modest cooling I see 15c or 27f over ambient once ive warmed up the engine with some hard runs and backed off..I got the HE and split need to add a tank or another HE perhaps to get down to 10f delta from ambient like people say they get..
Old 07-18-2019, 05:40 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by PieRat
With my modest cooling I see 15c or 27f over ambient once ive warmed up the engine with some hard runs and backed off..I got the HE and split need to add a tank or another HE perhaps to get down to 10f delta from ambient like people say they get..
I currently run 2x CWA 50, 1x CWA 100, DTK race heat exchanger and the stock heat exchanger in series with a 172mm CP/72mm fixed pulley combo. I cruise around at usually ~9-10 over ambient (SC always engaged), but there is a point where peak temps in a pull stopped getting better. The addition of the stock heat exchanger in series helped with recovery and brought down ambient cruising temps but same peaks still. I think the factory intercooler is just too limiting. I'll be doing the dual feed/return single pass intercooler mod next and see how big of a difference that makes on a very aggressive set up.
The following users liked this post:
Crissus (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
The intercooler has always been the weak point, I'm really surprised no one offers a good replacement yet, since we all need it. Even stock.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:05 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2006 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by MR E55 AMG
Seriously, the Johnson CM30 has less flow than the Bosch 010 ??...I have read that the CM30 has more flow and is a better ALL around pump than the Bosch 010.. Have you tested it yourself ?? I also re wired it so it goes on IMMEDIATELY after I turn on the engine but honestly I don't see any difference than the stock wiring...😕

BTW, i found this kit and i am placing an order and installing on my 2006 SL55. U.S made and seems to be a little durable than what's currently out there.

http://www.projectb5.com/product/pb5...it-cooling-kit
Old 04-23-2021, 12:45 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 392 Likes on 284 Posts
E55 C63
Originally Posted by Ajai Thomas
BTW, i found this kit and i am placing an order and installing on my 2006 SL55. U.S made and seems to be a little durable than what's currently out there.

http://www.projectb5.com/product/pb5...it-cooling-kit
yes, The CM30 on paper flows well, but what you are worried about is head pressure, 010 Flows way better with resistance, CM30 is Junk, We have tested every available pump on the market.

That kit is insanely overpriced, Grab a split cooling kit for $125, And swap the tank out for one like this off of ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/32378347214...75.c101224.m-1

Durability is not an issue with a split cooling kit, I dont think anyone has ever broken a tank, they are Composite tanks and pretty darn durable. You can literally throw them accross the room into a cement wall and they wont break.

Old 04-23-2021, 12:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2006 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by VictoryRoadPerformance
yes, The CM30 on paper flows well, but what you are worried about is head pressure, 010 Flows way better with resistance, CM30 is Junk, We have tested every available pump on the market.

That kit is insanely overpriced, Grab a split cooling kit for $125, And swap the tank out for one like this off of ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/32378347214...75.c101224.m-1

Durability is not an issue with a split cooling kit, I dont think anyone has ever broken a tank, they are Composite tanks and pretty darn durable. You can literally throw them accross the room into a cement wall and they wont break.
thanks for the heads up. are you aware if the 2006 SL55 comes with the updates 010......i've heard sides, but i think the 2005 and prior model were on the older versions of the Bosche pump. thanks.