W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough idle when cold...smooth when warm..?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG, Porsche 911 SC
Rough idle when cold...smooth when warm..?

The title explains my issue fairly well. 2005 E55, 94k miles.

Just performed the 100k mile service, new plugs/wires,air filter, oil, trans flush etc.

On cold starts I get some vibration and what feels/sounds like misfires from the motor. The car surges and hesitates occasionally on acceleration, deceleration and in between shifts. The vibration continues in Park or Drive, at stoplights, etc. for 15-20 minutes. After the car is warm, the idle is perfect and the car drives great. No CELs.

My indy mechanic believes the problem can be fixed with a new fuel filter/pump (the one on the top of the tank, not the one in between the fuel banks that would require a whole new tank).

Question for you guys with the 55k motors is, have you experienced this type of an issue? Was the problem a faulty/clogged fuel filter/pump? Was it something else like an EGRV? An idle control valve?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

-Ken

Last edited by Ken311; 12-09-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Mercedes
it might be the secondary air injection pump (SAI). You can diagnose it by temporarily turning off SAI and seeing if it fixes it.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...rough-sds.html
Old 12-09-2013, 09:28 PM

E55 AMG, Porsche 911 SC
Originally Posted by JoeNobody
it might be the secondary air injection pump (SAI). You can diagnose it by temporarily turning off SAI and seeing if it fixes it.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...rough-sds.html
If I had the equipment to do that I would. Is there another way to check this unit? Would the secondary air pump cause a rough idle when cold only? That is my differentiating factor between many of the other cases I found through the search. I have no idle problems when warm unlike most folks who have posted here.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:56 PM

E55 AMG, Porsche 911 SC
Anyone?
Old 12-11-2013, 02:47 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Originally Posted by Ken311
Anyone?
Check your primary 02 sensors, as at 94K they could have weak output.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 12-11-2013, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Check the throttle body plate for sludge buildup on the backside as well as around the diameter, known to cause idle issues.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:43 PM

E55 AMG, Porsche 911 SC
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
Check your primary 02 sensors, as at 94K they could have weak output.
I thought about this but wouldn't failing sensors throw CELs?

Originally Posted by Critter
Check the throttle body plate for sludge buildup on the backside as well as around the diameter, known to cause idle issues.
Will do thanks
Old 12-11-2013, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

It's required service around 60K miles.... expensive, yes but important. A lot of guys seem to miss this service item either because they think it's too expensive (~$600) or they just never realized it was supposed to get swapped out.

Clogged filter = low fuel pressure & flow. At WOT, you could end up starving the motor for fuel... and that's when the REALLY expensive problems happen.

I don't know if there is a way to read fuel pressure through the OBDII port or not, that would a convenient way to do a quick "sanity check" on the condition of your fuel filter/pump....

-G
The following users liked this post:
Max.H (09-26-2016)
Old 12-11-2013, 09:48 PM

E55 AMG, Porsche 911 SC
Originally Posted by GregMB
When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

It's required service around 60K miles.... expensive, yes but important. A lot of guys seem to miss this service item either because they think it's too expensive (~$600) or they just never realized it was supposed to get swapped out.

Clogged filter = low fuel pressure & flow. At WOT, you could end up starving the motor for fuel... and that's when the REALLY expensive problems happen.

I don't know if there is a way to read fuel pressure through the OBDII port or not, that would a convenient way to do a quick "sanity check" on the condition of your fuel filter/pump....

-G
Good to know, I believe this is what my mechanic was getting at. I'm sure it has not been replaced. Will look into it and see if the diagnostics can confirm.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 12-12-2013, 08:55 PM

2005 e55
check plug wires and plugs..
Old 12-12-2013, 11:03 PM

E55 AMG, Porsche 911 SC
Originally Posted by groove66
check plug wires and plugs..
they were replaced a little more than a week ago
Old 12-13-2013, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Make sure that all of the wires "click" sound when put back onto the plug. Some do not and can cause the issue you are having.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 (FST N OC)
The title explains my issue fairly well. 2005 E55, 94k miles.

Just performed the 100k mile service, new plugs/wires,air filter, oil, trans flush etc.

On cold starts I get some vibration and what feels/sounds like misfires from the motor. The car surges and hesitates occasionally on acceleration, deceleration and in between shifts. The vibration continues in Park or Drive, at stoplights, etc. for 15-20 minutes. After the car is warm, the idle is perfect and the car drives great. No CELs.

My indy mechanic believes the problem can be fixed with a new fuel filter/pump (the one on the top of the tank, not the one in between the fuel banks that would require a whole new tank).

Question for you guys with the 55k motors is, have you experienced this type of an issue? Was the problem a faulty/clogged fuel filter/pump? Was it something else like an EGRV? An idle control valve?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

-Ken
Im having the same issue but its not every morning. Hmmm
Old 12-13-2013, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG, BMW E28 M5, 1960 Cadillac Convertible, 1932 Ford Tudor, 1932 Ford Roadster, 53 Hudson
Mine did this as well, ha several bad plug wires, did all the plugs wires and the PCV chamber reseal on the valve cover today, and it is smooth as can be now
Old 02-04-2014, 04:30 PM

E55 AMG, Porsche 911 SC
Had the fuel pump/filter assembly replaced last week, and while it does feel smoother when driving warm, the idle when cold still shakes the car and sounds like it is misfiring. Still experiencing surging/jerking/hesitation between shifts, etc. when driving while car is warming up. No CELs as before.

I'm going to have to start checking more possible problem areas. Taking a look at the throttle body/actuator plate this week as well as the secondary air pump. Could it be a vaccum leak?

I have written off any issues with plug wires because it would be causing rough idle/operation all the time...same with O2 sensors (had these go bad on my C32 and they throw CELs). It's very confusing that the car can run so smooth when warm but so rough when warming up.

Last edited by Ken311; 02-04-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:17 PM

E55 AMG, Porsche 911 SC
Thoroughly cleaned the throttle body yesterday and that seemed to be part of the problem. Now the surging/hesitation/jerking is gone.

However, on cold starts the idle is still very rough. After 5 minutes, it goes away and the car is smooth as silk. This is making me lean to the secondary air system, but I am just beyond confused as to why a malfunction in this system would not be throwing a CEL or at least some error codes while the rough idle is occurring...

Input...suggestions?
Old 02-28-2014, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts
Cls63 & C32
Did you do ecu adaptation after cleaning the Tb (default initialization)?
Old 02-28-2014, 02:38 PM

E55 AMG, Porsche 911 SC
Originally Posted by Robert AMG
Did you do ecu adaptation after cleaning the Tb (default initialization)?
I have not yet (usually do that at the gas station), I will give it a try
Old 02-28-2014, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts
Cls63 & C32
I have not yet (usually do that at the gas station), I will give it a try
with star diagnosis!
Old 02-28-2014, 02:58 PM

E55 AMG, Porsche 911 SC
ah no i don't have that tool, i just wrench a little out of my garage

i was referring to the "sneaky ecu reset" with cycling the key. it surely can't replace a hard ecu reset, but i'll see if it helps at all
Old 02-28-2014, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Now you have cleaned the throttle body, next clean the injectors, in a half tank of good fuel put 2 bottles of techron fuel injector cleaner, drive until below 1/4 tank then refill to half tank. This should help, at the mileage you have the injectors become gummed up and the atomization of the fuel is not perfect and will sometimes produce drops of fuel not a good spray pattern. This is more prominent when the engine is cold and could been seen as rough idle and shacking. Worth a try is it not.
Good luck
Old 02-28-2014, 04:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55, 07 ML500
Now you have cleaned the throttle body, next clean the injectors, in a half tank of good fuel put 2 bottles of techron fuel injector cleaner, drive until below 1/4 tank then refill to half tank. This should help, at the mileage you have the injectors become gummed up and the atomization of the fuel is not perfect and will sometimes produce drops of fuel not a good spray pattern. This is more prominent when the engine is cold and could been seen as rough idle and shacking. Worth a try is it not.
Good luck
This/\/\ Try cleaning first and if that doesn't work call Serge at Benzworks, he's close to you.. I had a similar problem that the dealer was clueless about, turns out that I had 2 bad injectors that my indy figured out... It's either on the fuel side or the electrical so check that as well... Good luck...
Old 02-28-2014, 05:01 PM

E55 AMG, Porsche 911 SC
Originally Posted by SilverStrk
This/\/\ Try cleaning first and if that doesn't work call Serge at Benzworks, he's close to you.. I had a similar problem that the dealer was clueless about, turns out that I had 2 bad injectors that my indy figured out... It's either on the fuel side or the electrical so check that as well... Good luck...
Good luck
I'll give this a shot, thanks.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 73 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
check the ICV aluminum hose on the back of the supercharger make sure its fully pushed back in all the way. That will cause rough idle and even give you a check engine light.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:16 PM

E55 AMG, Porsche 911 SC
Big thanks to Critter for the recommendation. Over the weekend I dumped in a couple bottles of Techron concentrate and since then there is no surging, and the throttle response, shifting, and supercharger engagement has become much smoother and crisper. In fact, I no longer have any supercharger chirp. I am amazed it has had such a profound effect on drivability! This combined with cleaning the TB has really made the motor come alive once again.

Since then, I have noticed there are some remaining vibrations (severity is much less) during startup and certain scenarios when driving. With how well the car is driving and idling now, I believe my problem may be worn motor and/or transmission mounts as they have not been replaced during the car's 97k miles. I'll be taking her into the shop in a week or two.

Hopefully my experience can be helpful to others who experience poor drivability with their AMG's!

-Ken
The following users liked this post:
Max.H (09-26-2016)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rough idle when cold...smooth when warm..?