Need help SC belt problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CL63AMG
Need help SC belt problems

I have a CL55 but thought I post here since you E55 guys know your ****
I have 180mm ASP crank pulley,all ASP pulleys and belt wrap kit. My problem is my SC belt flies off every other week. When I swapped my SC pulley for a smaller one I noticed that the belt was riding one ridge over towards the front of the car and that was causing the belt to shred fast. I put the stock SC pulley back on but belt still flies off. Any body had this problem? I checked my crank pulley and it's on right put bolt back on 150 lbs then 90 degree so it's not that.
I use Gates belt also had a NAPA belt same ****. Had green on same thing.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
04 E55 AMG
take the tension off and check all the bolts. also I think the crank pulley bolt is torque to yield and one time use. once the bolt stretches that's it good luck Hope this helps

Last edited by MAN55LE; 03-03-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts
2003 SL55,2020 GTC ,2017 GTS sold ,2002 G500 Sold,2003 SL500 Sold,
Try it with wrap kit off
Old 01-10-2014, 10:58 PM

E55 AMG
My belt isn't jumping but I know it's pushing to the front a bit given there is some minor wear towards the front on the side of the belt. The first things I had to change on my car after I got it and ran the biatch hard were the idler pulleys. Front pulley fell off but car still was drivable, just no supercharger lol. Anyway, point is in my case I think maybe the pulleys are not perfectly aligned or I need to take a look at my install. The belt isn't jumping but you got more stuff going on i.e. belt wrap kit. I'm on the fence with that one right now but it makes sense.. I changed both idler pulleys with ASP.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
E55, E320 CDI , CLA250, Jag XJ Supersport
If your clutch is worn, the pulley travels in further when engaging to take up the slack. You might be able to shim the pulley to the higher end of the tolerance and keep the belt in the grooves
Old 01-12-2014, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
2004 E55
Do you have Evosport under drive pulleys? Those pieces of incorrectly machined crap tend to rattle and throw belts
Old 01-19-2014, 04:50 PM

2012 CL63AMG
Belt issue

Originally Posted by AMGPilot
Do you have Evosport under drive pulleys? Those pieces of incorrectly machined crap tend to rattle and throw belts
No I have ASP 3 pulley set and ASP 180 mm crank pulley. On last Saturday Jerry from Eurocharged was here in South Florida and I went for retuning and Dyno. As we did the first run belt flue off. Hood was open and I saw how it happened where before I was always behind the wheel driving. BTW this was with out belt kit. I have belts always with me since this problem started. Anyway tensioner looked weak and belt came of as it was climbing on to the Stock super charger pulley. So I put in a new tensioner on Thursday and waiting to see if it continuous to do that. I did compare them with TRQ wrench and new one is much stronger. I have all the mods in my car so it's a different ball game.
Also ordered a very special idler pulley that has a lip on both sides. Once I get it and install it problem should be solved if it's not solved already. Next few weeks will show! Once I get that lip pulley I am going back to smaller SC pulley
Thanks for chiming in fellows !!! BTW Car is a beast!
Old 01-19-2014, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you to Hate
Originally Posted by airtony
No I have ASP 3 pulley set and ASP 180 mm crank pulley. On last Saturday Jerry from Eurocharged was here in South Florida and I went for retuning and Dyno. As we did the first run belt flue off. Hood was open and I saw how it happened where before I was always behind the wheel driving. BTW this was with out belt kit. I have belts always with me since this problem started. Anyway tensioner looked weak and belt came of as it was climbing on to the Stock super charger pulley. So I put in a new tensioner on Thursday and waiting to see if it continuous to do that. I did compare them with TRQ wrench and new one is much stronger. I have all the mods in my car so it's a different ball game.
Also ordered a very special idler pulley that has a lip on both sides. Once I get it and install it problem should be solved if it's not solved already. Next few weeks will show! Once I get that lip pulley I am going back to smaller SC pulley
Thanks for chiming in fellows !!! BTW Car is a beast!
Your car is definitely a beast brotha! And that sound system is amazing!

I hope the new tensioner solves the problem.

I'll call you when my car is running so we can have some fun. . You have one of the most beautiful CLs I've seen. A complete sleeper!
Old 01-25-2014, 10:37 PM

2012 CL63AMG
SC Belt problem

Brand new tensioner on problem still there. 180 Crank pulley wobbles I guess.
Next step liped idler pulley.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you to Hate
Originally Posted by airtony
Brand new tensioner on problem still there. 180 Crank pulley wobbles I guess.
Next step liped idler pulley.
And new crank bolt.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML63
make sure your idler spacer is in the right position. I had this problem and my spacer wasn't in the right position. its a simple placement thing you will only have issues at certain RPMs.
post a picture of idler spacer or belt setup