Sponsored by:

MB Babysmart Car Seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 08:15 PM
Vic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB Babysmart Car Seats

Does anyone have experience using the MB Babysmart car seats (which are made by Britax)?

My 2 kids are 2.5 and 4 yrs. old, and weigh 30 and 40 lbs., respectively. I am looking for new car seats for them and was wondering if anyone has recently purchased the MB car seats with Babysmart sensors?

I have used these seats in the past with my previous MB vehicles, but am unsure as to their continued safety given that they were purchased almost four years ago.

The toddler seat I bought in June 2000 is for use on kids from 20 to 40 lbs. It is of the booster seat variety, and uses a "bar" that goes over the child's lap, that is held in place by the seat belt. It has no harness (other than the bar) to hold the child in place, and the only thing holding the seat with child in place is the seatbelt threaded through the bar. I have always had some doubt about its effectiveness, but have used it because I trust Britax (and MB to a somewhat lesser extent).

Now that my elder child is about to outgrow that seat, I'd like to get him another Babysmart seat because he enjoys being able to occasionally sit up front (which only a Babysmart seat permits), but my first concern with the seat is safety, and as such, I am willing to sacrifice this feature for the safest seat possible.

Since I am changing the elder child's seat, I thought it would also be wise to consider getting a new seat for the younger child also, rather than having her inherit her elder brother's old seat.

That said, does anyone have any recommendations as to what works well in the E55? I know the car has the LATCH/Isofix system, but have not been able to get concrete recommendations as to what is considered a state of the art seat today. I'd be very interested in knowing whether others have experience with the MB seats, particularly those for a kid over 40 lbs.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Vic; 11-23-2003 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-23-2003, 11:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
As far as I know Mercedes has not release the next generation of car seat in the USA, and my dealer couldn't even give me a time frame. Mercedes uses Britax seat so I would buy Britax seat. The Britax Marathon or Roundabout are probably the best seats out there. My son is 7 months old and he currently using the Mercedes infant seat and we will get the Britax Marathon first then the Mercedes seat once is release. The Marathon and Roundabout are good for up to 65 pounds.

John
Old 11-23-2003, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Porsche uses the same system, you could give them a try. Or, and this is totally a suggestion, I don't condone it at all incase there are lawyers on board, but you could take out the transponder from your old seat and use it for your new seat. It's really easy to do especially with the foam toddler's seat that you have. Anyway, I would just as well keep your kids in the back seat, that's why we bought 4 doors, right?

I still have my toddler seat, but it was a needed for my two seat SLK.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:00 AM
arm

I was a the auto show in SF yesterday and I saw a Recaro booster seat - indicated for 30-80 pounds.

It struck me as very well constructed and looked pretty good.

Looks like your kids are big enough to go the booster route - many different color combinations available as well.
Old 11-25-2003, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Question Car seat discussion

With the newly introduced LATCH system, we're thinking of picking up a Peg Perego rear facing infant seat.

JohnAMG - how does your MB infant seat look like? Is it rear facing and does it use seatbelt to secure to the rear seat or does it use LATCH?
Old 11-25-2003, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63 AMG
We had a Per Perago infant seat and it totally sucked. This was two years ago so they may have inproved it. Ours was its first year out. Very hard to unlatch and very heavy. Britax doesn't make an infant seat with a base that stays in your car, a must have, but instead their old on you had to strap in with the seat belt every time. Or you can have their rear facing seat that had no handle and stays in the car.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63 AMG
BTW, the only reason to get an MB seat is so you can use it in the front seat, as it turns off the airbags, but with a 4 door like the E55 you don't need it. So get a Britax seat for the rear instead. The MB seat has no advantage over any other car seat except for the transponder that turns the airbag off.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:38 AM
Vic

Norb is absolutely right on this point. THE only reason to get the MB seat is to be able to use it in the front passenger seat.

Although I would use it in the rear 90% of the time, I'd like the option of moving it to the front from time to time, i.e. when rear seat space is limited due to cargo, etc.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:53 PM

3 Porsche rotation
Re: Car seat discussion

Originally posted by W210
With the newly introduced LATCH system, we're thinking of picking up a Peg Perego rear facing infant seat.

JohnAMG - how does your MB infant seat look like? Is it rear facing and does it use seatbelt to secure to the rear seat or does it use LATCH?
W210,

Our Mercedes seat is a rear-facing seat strap in with the seatbelt. It is an older system without the use of latch. It is made by Britax and it does have a carry handle. I will post picture once I get home.

John
Old 11-25-2003, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
norb - thanks yes the Peg Perego infant seat I have in mind is a new 2nd generation model I do hope it has improved. Any other recommendations?

JohnAMG, thanks for the help, would appreciate your photos..
Old 11-26-2003, 10:02 AM

3 Porsche rotation
Originally posted by W210
norb - thanks yes the Peg Perego infant seat I have in mind is a new 2nd generation model I do hope it has improved. Any other recommendations?

JohnAMG, thanks for the help, would appreciate your photos..
W210,

Here is the photo of our infant seat.

John
Attached Thumbnails MB Babysmart Car Seats-pb250047.jpg  
Old 11-26-2003, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah the memories, my kids are way past that stage, thank god.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE53 Coupe
Where to buy ,,, ??? $$$???

JohnAMG,

Where did you get the infant seat, how much was it. Is the seat heavy to carry around. My boy will be coming by the end of february. It will be my first kid, so doing research now.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Old 11-26-2003, 01:57 PM
Vic

I've had the seat that JohnAMG posted a photo of since January 2000, and got it free from the dealer when I purchased an S class.

I believe it retailed through the dealer for about $250. That seat is made by Britax, and it can be used until the child is 20 lbs. It is fairly light and can be used as a carrier. The other plus is that it does not need a special base to snap into, although the potential downside is that there is no stroller that it can be easily snapped into, either.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:00 PM

3 Porsche rotation
Re: Where to buy ,,, ??? $$$???

Originally posted by nguyensteve
JohnAMG,

Where did you get the infant seat, how much was it. Is the seat heavy to carry around. My boy will be coming by the end of february. It will be my first kid, so doing research now.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
I bought the seat from the dealer last april. It took the dealer 3 months to get the seat and I believed Mercedes does not make it anymore. But your dealer may be able to track down a surplus unit. I believed the seat cost me about $170 from the dealer. I will try to find the part number for the seat.

John