Sponsored by:

PLM Short Tube Headers - Unbiased review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 04:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG, E55 AMG
PLM Short Tube Headers - Unbiased review

With the car in for new motor mounts i took advantage of the situation to also fit some brand new headers that were direct bolt on, no cutting welding etc. PLM short tubes seemed like a good option after reading a lot of threads on here and for the price i thought i couldn't go wrong. upon receiving the headers i noticed that the quality was second to none, welds seemed spot on, flanges lined up perfectly and the design seemed right on par for short tubes with great flow characteristics. With the car being right hand drive i was a little worried there might be some fitment issues, however the headers went in as smooth as butter, no forcing, no squeezing, just a direct bolt in with no issues whatsoever. i had them installed by Brabus who really loved the quality of the headers and even asked me to refer to them exactly where i got them from. the head mechanic took the car for a drive before and after the install and the difference in power was so notable it even shocked him that short tubes could feel so great. in his words the power difference was day and night. the engine seems to be breathing a lot better, rpms climbing quicker, along with the overall massive difference in power. the sound is slightly throatier, nothing compared to long tubes, but for what they are worth price wise, the overall quality, and the way they make the car feel i would recommend these headers to anyone wishing to keep there hard earned cash in their wallets and pick up 30-35whp with a very easy installation. I STRESS THAT YOU ALSO DO ENGINE MOUNTS AT THE SAME TIME TO AVOID ISSUES WITH THE HEADERS POTENTIALLY CRACKING AND BEING TORQUED AROUND.
i haven't yet had the chance to dyno the car since the install however, this mod truly complements the fixed pulley, with added back pressure being relieved. this would be a great first mod for those wishing to not have to chop up the oem exhaust and relocate the cats or delete them altogether.
PLM claims 40whp gains on these headers and i can truly vouch for that number or very close to it, these headers are making every bit of it, the design is great, the quality is spot on, and until i get the car tuned i won't know for sure but there have been a lot of people on here claiming very high numbers from PLM designed short tubes and i can certainly feel the difference to be somewhat on par with that number. Overall a great product!
Old 02-28-2014, 05:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
Dyno please
Old 02-28-2014, 07:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2006 E55
With well designed mid-lengths & long tubes (think Kleemann and MBH), you can expect 30-45rwhp (lower end being mid-lengths vs true longtubes). Not with aftermarket logs that keep the primaries in place like Renntech/PLM etc.

I am sure the difference can be felt, especially up top, but I wouldn't expect 40rwhp difference from logs.

Glad you like the newfound power! Headers are a must on these cars, very restrictive. Come to think of it, AMG cars in general have very restrictive headers, the C63 cars with headers and a tune gain A LOT and they're NA!
Old 02-28-2014, 10:46 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
nice please post up dyno number for the FSP and PLM headers.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Mercedes
Someone has dyno numbers for the headers on here, and they do make decent power.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:50 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
05 E55 AMG
Nice review. I will be going this route since I live in CA and dont want trouble with smog
Old 03-04-2014, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG WAGON 2004
Thanks for posting. I'm thinking of getting these installed on mine as they seem an easy option. I know gains won't be quite on par with Kleemann and long tubes but ease of fitting and being able to retain cats is an advantage. Mine is RHD too as I'm in the UK and Kleemann's aren't a straightforward fit on our cars.

I just had my engine and transmission mounts changed so I'm good to go!

Please get it on the dyno as would be very interested to see gains. Did you have a dyno run before they were fitted to compare?
Old 03-04-2014, 10:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E39 M5,E46 n E92 M3,W211 E55
Smile

As long as it got 15rwhp-20 i'm happy as i'm another RHD owner looking for a trouble-free install.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E39 M5,E46 n E92 M3,W211 E55
Originally Posted by RAWE55
With the car in for new motor mounts i took advantage of the situation to also fit some brand new headers that were direct bolt on, no cutting welding etc. PLM short tubes seemed like a good option after reading a lot of threads on here and for the price i thought i couldn't go wrong. upon receiving the headers i noticed that the quality was second to none, welds seemed spot on, flanges lined up perfectly and the design seemed right on par for short tubes with great flow characteristics. With the car being right hand drive i was a little worried there might be some fitment issues, however the headers went in as smooth as butter, no forcing, no squeezing, just a direct bolt in with no issues whatsoever. i had them installed by Brabus who really loved the quality of the headers and even asked me to refer to them exactly where i got them from. the head mechanic took the car for a drive before and after the install and the difference in power was so notable it even shocked him that short tubes could feel so great. in his words the power difference was day and night. the engine seems to be breathing a lot better, rpms climbing quicker, along with the overall massive difference in power. the sound is slightly throatier, nothing compared to long tubes, but for what they are worth price wise, the overall quality, and the way they make the car feel i would recommend these headers to anyone wishing to keep there hard earned cash in their wallets and pick up 30-35whp with a very easy installation. I STRESS THAT YOU ALSO DO ENGINE MOUNTS AT THE SAME TIME TO AVOID ISSUES WITH THE HEADERS POTENTIALLY CRACKING AND BEING TORQUED AROUND.
i haven't yet had the chance to dyno the car since the install however, this mod truly complements the fixed pulley, with added back pressure being relieved. this would be a great first mod for those wishing to not have to chop up the oem exhaust and relocate the cats or delete them altogether.
PLM claims 40whp gains on these headers and i can truly vouch for that number or very close to it, these headers are making every bit of it, the design is great, the quality is spot on, and until i get the car tuned i won't know for sure but there have been a lot of people on here claiming very high numbers from PLM designed short tubes and i can certainly feel the difference to be somewhat on par with that number. Overall a great product!
How much did you pay for it ??
Old 04-30-2014, 10:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ml55, Ml63, Porsche, C63S ED1
Originally Posted by RAWE55
you should check out thunder exhaust ones if you go the log route. The downpipe outlets are larger so you should get more flow. on these type it's all about making the hole bigger since you don't have individual tubes, so every inch helps.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:41 PM

2005 E55 AMG, 2006 SL65 AMG
Hey all, I just installed some PLM headers and they fit great. I actually bought them because my existing exhaust manifold had a leak and made a loud "sputtering/fart" like sound and so now they are much more quite. They do feel a tad bit faster when i'm "gunning" it. Sorry, don't have any dyno to help out. They also look better too!
Ian
Old 04-15-2015, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
Did you have the car retuned after install?
Old 04-16-2015, 01:32 AM

2005 E55 AMG, 2006 SL65 AMG
No I haven't yet. Do you recommend a retune? I was thinking about getting the supercharge pulley upgrade also so maybe after that? What do you think?
Old 04-16-2015, 03:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Mercedes
Retune is not needed, but more boost is good since headers will reduce boost slightly since engine is breathing better.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Beast55AMG
Hey all, I just installed some PLM headers and they fit great. I actually bought them because my existing exhaust manifold had a leak and made a loud "sputtering/fart" like sound and so now they are much more quite. They do feel a tad bit faster when i'm "gunning" it. Sorry, don't have any dyno to help out. They also look better too!
Ian

highly recommend retune!