W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

What to do....2004 E55 vs. 2004 S55....you opinions please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2003 | 04:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
What to do....2004 E55 vs. 2004 S55....you opinions please

I currently have a 2002 C32 and a 2001 S55. The S55 is going off lease very soon and I need to replace it with one of two cars. I ordered a Pewter on black/red E55 (all options but panoramic roof and distronic) but I am not sure this is the car I hoped it would be. For reference the car is built and wating for a boat as we speak. I should see the car before the end of the year.

I read may automotive publications and many of the latest articles state that the E55 handles worse and takes more time to stop than a standard E550 with the appearance package. The British magazine “CAR” called the E55 “the biggest let down” in its best new cars test. One magazine even said the E55 takes longer to stop than some new mid-sized SUV’s ( I know the difference between one stop and repeated stops – clearly the E55 will be far more consistent than any SUV – well I don’t know about the Cayanne or the 4.8is).

I was “downsizing” (not to insult the E55 in any way…it is just smaller than an S55) to an E55 because I enjoy the thrill provided by a smaller car when driving aggressively through my local canyon roads. I do drive harder than most people but I always keep it safe. With grip levels equal to some SUV’s (.83g’s) I do not see why I should give up the space provided by the S55 (which in 2001 pulled .92g’s on the skid pad and slalomed faster than new E55). No tests of the 2003-2004 S55 have been published so I cannot do any direct comparisons.

I now ask you the W211 E55 owners to tell me what you think of your cars and let me know what you think I should do. I do not need the space of an S55 but its something to consider being that I do use the car for transporting clients across Southern California (sometimes with 5 people at once). Is the E55 as poor as some magazines make it sound? Do the brakes really stop this poorly? Does the car have as much understeer as they mention? How is the ride? Etc Please be honest!

I loved the E55k at the AMG Challenge but these articles have me thinking twice.

So the question comes back to this. 2004 E55 (nearly fully loaded) or a 2004 S55 (nearly loaded). Let me know what you think.

I am very interested to see what the board members who track their E55’s have to say. I know I can’t go wrong with either vehicle but I want to cover the bases before I make a decision.

Thank you for all your helpful insight.
Old 11-25-2003 | 05:50 AM
mhh

2012 MB E63 Wagon, 2012 BMW M5, 2010 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2010 Ferrari 458
I'm also a C32 owner and I saw the "Car" story too. That was more than just a regular test, it was a track test and the E55 didn't respond well to being thrown about when compared to mostly sports cars. It didn't put me off, but I would never drive an E55 at a track (nor a C32, come to that).

I drove an E55 for the first time this week, and was a bit disappointed in the steering and ride - the tyres turned out to be at high pressures. I went back two days later and drove it again for 2 hours (great dealer!)with normal tyre pressures and liked it. I gave it a full power brake stop - the thing stops on a dime! Don't worry about the brakes. It doesn't steer as well as my C32 on 18" SO-3s, but it rides nicer and feels more planted on the road at speed. Not really a canyon racer, but a superb touring car with confidence in the turns - that's how it struck me.

I'll let others with real knowledge comment on your other remarks, but I understand your concerns. No car is perfect, but the E55 might be the ideal midsized car for you.
Old 11-25-2003 | 08:31 AM

E55 vs S55

I will tell you through actual ownership experience of all three top competitors that the E55 is far ahead of it's competition in its class. How any magazine could even make it close amazes me. Even in track testing the only way any of its competitors could stay close is if the straightaways were relatively short. In addition the E55 will give you a sportier feel than the S55. That acceleration is awesome and the handling on mountain type cures is 98% of the awd RS6. At the limit the E55 can become a handful because of its power and weight, but not many of us will be driving at the limit on a daily basis. The sound system and interior are great. I just wish they'd soften the seat bottoms for all of us who don't have teutonic type butts.
Old 11-25-2003 | 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63 AMG
One magazine even said the E55 takes longer to stop than some new mid-sized SUV’s ( I know the difference between one stop and repeated stops – clearly the E55 will be far more consistent than any SUV – well I don’t know about the Cayanne or the 4.8is).

Didn't we go through this before? Look at any road test digest in the back of Car and Driver, Road and Track or Motor Trend, the E55 is in elite company in BRAKING, acceleration and handling. I don't know where they came up with the E55 handling worse than the E500 or an SUV out braking it but it simply is not true.

Last edited by norb; 11-25-2003 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-25-2003 | 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Thumbs up Sports Car International Jan 2004 Article

They also picked the E55 over the RS6 (another good sports sedan).

I think you need to have a test drive as you can't tell how good a car handles by grip numbers alone.

FYI the S-class will have a face lift sooner than the E-class. Personally, I find the E-class interior the nicest. I do not like the burl walnut in the S55 clashing with the charcoal leather.
Old 11-25-2003 | 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Thank you everyone...

mhh --

Thank you for your insight. That is one heck of a dealership to give you the keys for 2 hours. Did you buy the car after all that?

I know the E55 is not a canyon racer but I do have some very twisty roads in my daily commute so I try to get cars that perform well in this environment.

As for tire pressures, I always run high tire pressures and a firm ride does not bother me. I would take a firm ride as long as the suspension has good shock "valving" (valving on a AirMatic car...can you saythat?)

norb --

Im not trying to be rude here but more than 2 magazines have rated the E55 has having lower grip, more understeer and weaker brakes than the E500 with W rated tires. These include Car & Driver, Autoweek and some others is forget. Some magazines have great stopping distances for the E55 while others show less than impressive numbers. Is there some flaw in the system that allows for such variance in distances? Tires Conti vs Michlin?

The same occurs with the SL55 where it has lower grip levels and longer stopping distances than it SL500 counterpart. Could the be a weight issue? Does the blowe make the car this nose heavy?

One magazine went as far as to say the old W210 E55 was more sporty than the new E55 stating that its suspension had more grip, better steering feel, and less underseer.

Like I said I loved the car at the AMG challenge but I now question if an S55 achieves the same performance levels as the E55 (very close curb weights for 2004)

Anyone else have any thoughts? What am I missing?
Old 11-25-2003 | 02:57 PM
mhh

Cyncarvin, I'm ordering 2005 (sept build) next week
Old 11-25-2003 | 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63 AMG
Here is a suggestion then, go for the S55, heck go for the SUV that can stop faster than the E55, no big deal. We won't think less of you.

But again, its laughable that people keep insisting that the E55 is a low performing car. Far from it.

Last edited by norb; 11-25-2003 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-25-2003 | 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63 AMG
Here is another article that you may be interested in, since regard them in such high esteem.....

1st — Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG
578.0 points

Rarely does an automobile come along that makes you run to the railing, fling your arms open and scream, "I'm king of the world!" The Audi is the most balanced overall package, but the sheer, overwhelming hot-rod thrust of this Affalterbach-built Benz can turn seen-it-all journalists into wide-eyed schoolboys. We'd like to personally thank the sole AMG technician responsible for hand-assembling this engine (his signature is on a plaque affixed to the 5.4-liter sohc V-8's Lysholm supercharger, but like a lot of signatures, we couldn't read it). The result is 469 bhp and a massive 516 lb.-ft. of torque, with the supercharger's twin screws churning at 23,000 rpm. Even right off idle, there's enough twist to easily light up the rear 265/35ZR-18 Continentals by just stepping on the gas in 1st gear. And yep, minimize the wheelspin and it's the Ferrari-beater, smoking to 60 in a mere 4.2 sec., on to an astounding 12.4-sec. quarter mile at 116.4 mph that's only a couple of tenths off the new Dodge Viper. And this in a quiet, civilized (albeit firm-riding) 4-door sedan, equally at home on a grocery run or bumping off its 155-mph speed limiter on the Autobahn.

Through our route's high-speed sweepers, the Benz felt positively glued down, delivering steering feel that's uncharacteristically communicative for a Mercedes, and very welcome. It's on the exit of tighter corners where you can feel the electronics — traction control, stability control — fighting to rein in the power. Even with stability control switched off, it still intervenes at the ragged edge, but not before allowing you to step the tail out. During strong acceleration, there's an intentional relaxation in power delivery on the upshifts to prevent the tires from spinning — perfectly timed, but noticeable. Also, through the tighter stuff on some surfaces, the front tires will chatter with extreme side load and you sense the Merc's heft.

Brakes, when used with moderate to hard pedal pressure, inspire the same huge confidence of the Audi system. And a peek between the thick spokes of the AMG-design wheels shows why, as there are immense 8-pot calipers and correspondingly large discs up front here as well. It's with light application that we find fault; Mercedes' brake-by-wire system, used in both the SL- and E-Class cars, requires delicacy of modulation for smooth around-town stops. "Not a major flaw," noted Wolfkill, "just a feature that requires a period of acclimatization."

So there are a few foibles in the running gear, but unquestionably Mercedes has crafted an interior that exudes polish, class and quality. "A very special, chic place," said Swift. Chrome-ringed, white-faced gauges are legible (though it does seem odd to have a large analog clock hog so much valuable instrument-panel real estate), and a pair of deeply supportive sports seats upholstered in Nappa/Nubuk leather offers exceptional hold, and features adjustable "clamp" of the seat bolsters. Just-so polished wood edged with chrome, and an extremely intuitive-to-use band of high-set climate controls finish the tasteful treatment.

It's nicer still for long highway stints with the S-Class-derived Airmatic suspension that quickly alters damping and spring rates as the system's accelerometers and sensors see fit, or according to four driver-selectable modes. Set in the middle of the range, the ride quality is similar to the Audi's; set full soft, it's between the Jag and BMW, all summoned from a push of what Formula 1 fan Swift dubbed the "Jenson Button" on the center console. Likewise, electronic control of the 5-speed automatic transmission sweetens the experience in either canyon-carving or cruise mode. In Mercedes' SpeedShift system, sequential changes can be made either with wheel-mounted buttons or a sideways nudge of the selector lever. Shift speed is commendably quick; and shift quality commendably smooth.

Technology, torque, luxury and true supercar performance make the E55 the new king of high-performance sedans, lacking only a version of Mercedes' 4Matic all-wheel drive to allow dialing out some of the electronic aids and dialing in a purer experience. It and the Audi have truly raised the bar for all comers in this prestigious segment. And listing at an estimated $75,000, the E55 has to be considered a relative bargain.
Old 11-25-2003 | 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Porcelain Bus
Here, you said it yourself. "I loved the E55k at the AMG Challenge but these articles have me thinking twice."

If you loved the car at the challenge then who the hell gives a flying f*ck what these car mag idiots have to say. The E55 is hands down more fun to drive than an S55 and IMO is a nicer and certainly more current design than the S. The S55 doesn't have an Alcantra headliner which is a really nice finding on the E55. The car to have will likely be the next AMG variant of the new S class to be out in 1 1/2 years.

I've had many cars over the years and none has been as much fun as the E55. And as far as not taking the E55 to the track, don't knock it until you try it. The AMG Challenge was only a small taste but running wide open for 30 minutes at a pop while keeping up with Porsche turbos and passing Vipers is where the real fun is.

The power from 80 mph up is intoxicating
Old 11-26-2003 | 04:09 AM
mhh

Dr Chill, while I understand the sentiment of going with one's own opinions, I think it is reasonable to be influenced by car magazine writers. After all, these guys drive a lot more different cars than we can hope to and don't have to defend a buying choice like we do. I still notice what others write, both here and in magazines - and then make up my own mind.
Old 11-26-2003 | 09:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
If I had to pick by the looks of the car I would get the S55 but performance wise it would be a hard choive cause both are fast as hell. If you transport clients get another S55 cause the rear legroom in the rear of the E Class is not very satisfying.
Old 11-26-2003 | 11:37 AM

2003 E55,2005 Ferrari F430 Spider, 2005 Corvette 427 TT, 2005 Range Rover
I am going to find out this weekend if the rear wheels and tires will fit on the front. If so, this will likely do alot to fix the understeer issue. The problem is that they have a 245 tire carrying a high load. The understeer is only an issue at the track though. (at 10/10). If you are planning to run any 4000lb sedan at 10/10, with no room for error, on the street it will probably not matter what you get because I can't see it lasting long. At 8 or 9 tenths the car is awesome.

Brake numbers in magazines should be taken with a grain of salt. Pretty much every car built can lock up all four wheels now so it really comes down to grip and weight. The big difference is the reserves available. Take that 500 up to 140MPH and see how it stops compared to the E55. Take them both on a track. The 500's brakes will probably be overheated after a lap. At a recent track event, I took a guy with a 996 Twin Turbo Porsche for a ride in my E55. The two things he came away impreessed with were the ease and comfort we circled the track with, and the brakes. If a porsche guy is impressed by the brakes, I don't know what more anyone could want.

I had a 500 and now have a 55. The 55 is better in every way. It even feels more upmarket. The S55 has the better back seat and will be more elegant taking four people out to dinner. The E55 will be more fun to drive when alone.

Last edited by Blocktrader; 11-26-2003 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-26-2003 | 12:46 PM

Originally posted by mhh
....I think it is reasonable to be influenced by car magazine writers. After all, these guys drive a lot more different cars than we can hope to and don't have to defend a buying choice like we do....
At face value this statement appears true, but if you read a lot of car magazines over time you start to notice that there's a disconnect between what many of these guys write and what many 'average' car enthusiasts perceive and/or value as consumers.

I think it's much like the situation with movie critics.
Some will trash a movie because its plot is too similar to some other movie from 15 years previous, or because it's too predictable, or it's too 'mainstream', or whatever.
And if I had to sit through 350 movies a year I'd probably end up with the same perspective.
Or restaurant critics (where a restaurant can be lambasted and written off as 'poor' because the spicing of a particular sauce doesn't perfectly match the palate of the critic or because a waiter phrases a question poorly).

Most car magazine writers don't care much about value and resale, for example. Safety matters to an extent. Luxury factors rank low on the relevance scale.
The things that rev them up are excitement factors like torque, handling, braking, and innovative design.

I don't know many people who have failed to recognize that in general the car writers love what BMW tries to accomplish with its products and they generally view MB with disdain, prejudice or at best, benign neglect.

So if someone's looking for a cutting edge sports car for weekend only driving, the views of most car mag writers will likely provide useful insight.
The more someone values things that most car writers don't value, the less reliable their opinions will be.
Old 11-26-2003 | 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Thumbs up amg55

Totally agree couldn't have said it better.
Old 11-26-2003 | 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Porcelain Bus
If all the mags had the same opinion of the car, I would give them more credibilty. As evidenced by the extreme variation of opinion from one magazine to another, the ratings are highly subjective and potentially motivated by forces other than true merit. Each reviewer has his own favorites and usually at the end of each article, the reviewers give their own summary of which car they prefer and for what reasons. Several times a MB has scored low in the comparison due to the handling, but then is listed as the car that they would choose over the rest due to the vault-like stability and build quality.

No one is trying to say that the E55 is a great handling car; we all know that the S55 is an even worse handling car. The current E55 however is the top all around four-door sports sedan on the market today, especially if value is taken into account. The RS6, M5, S Type-R are all nice cars but if I took 100 non-MB drivers and asked them to pick one to use everyday, the majority would choose the E55.

The S55 is a beautiful car and is more prestigious than the W211, but when driven hard at the AMG Challenge, was not fun to drive at all. The car is just too heavy to handle or brake when driven in a spirited manner. It is however a great highway cruiser only surpassed by an S600, or Bentley maybe. The E55 is far more nimble and easy to drive around town. As Blocktrader stated, the brakes are excellent but the sheer weight of the vehicle prevents it from stopping more quickly. Mercedes only real mistake when building this car was not eliminating 200-300 lbs.

If choosing between the E and the S, I highly recommend the E55. If choosing between an E55 and a Porsche twin turbo, choose the Porsche because no four door sedan can come close in handling to a Porsche.
Old 11-26-2003 | 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Dr. Chill

That last post of yours is exactly what I was leaning towards. I need to run but your post hit home. I can't get a 996 for my next car so the E55 looks to be the car I should get. Having driven a 996TT TechArt, there is nothing like a 996. Simply great car.

Thanks for the help and I will respond to the other posts when I get some free time. Time to go sit in traffic and enjoy the Thanksgiving rush! Bad place to enjoy your AMG cars!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone

Both are great cars but I think the E55 will be a nice change for 2 years. Thank you again.
Old 11-26-2003 | 11:11 PM

W211
Originally posted by IluvS500
If you transport clients get another S55 cause the rear legroom in the rear of the E Class is not very satisfying.
Agreed. The W210 had a relatively roomy rear seat but the 211 seems to be a step back. Make sure you sit in the back to make sure the room is adaquate.
Old 11-27-2003 | 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
If I were on the market now,my choice would be S600 first,then E55.(skip the S55)
Old 11-28-2003 | 04:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
I drove both. I'd probably take the E55 if I were to mod it and turn it into a mean street machine, and track it.

Otherwise the S55 would have my vote.