W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLX WiFi sucks.... Innovate Motorsports OT-2 Rules!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
PLX WiFi sucks.... Innovate Motorsports OT-2 Rules!!!!

Now that I have your attention....

I had constant connectivity problems with my PLX WiFi since Day 1.. and now recently it just wouldn't connect at all. Out of frustration I bought the Innovate Motorsports OT-2 hoping to have better luck.

The WiFi connection happens instantly and without any special setup required. I used it with the Palmer Performance app (Dash Command) and even though the OT-2 is listed as "not supported" it works perfectly.

I also like that this one has a hardwired USB port for direct data logging to a laptop, and the serial port connections allow you to add extra sensors that aren't normally reported in the OBD-II protocol.

I've only been running this for a few hours so far, but already it is proving to be a superior product to the PLX WiFi.... I just wish I hadn't wasted $150 on the PLX in the first place.

BIG BONUS:

I tried running my OBD-II cable splitter again so that I can simultaneously use my WiFI and the ValentineONE SAAVY, and it works!! I was never able to pull that one off successfully with the PLX WiFi. I just ordered up a low-profile ribbon cable version of the Y-splitter so that I can tuck this stuff up and away a bit more cleanly. I can't stand having cables drooping down from under the dash into the footwell while I'm driving.

I know that a lot of you guys run the el-cheapo ELM327 Chinese-knockoff OBD WiFi units without issue but it feel like I am now finally on my way toward REAL datalogging capability with the direct laptop and serial port connectivity....

-G
Old 03-21-2014, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
E55 amg
very nice what are your IAT like from say a 40-120mph ? (if u have done that )
Old 03-21-2014, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Haven't done much yet... just got it running last night.

I did some datalogging with the EC EuroFlash software on my laptop last summer. I probably have a pull like that in a log file somewhere.

I'm getting that new y-splitter from Amazon tomorrow and will try to wire this stuff up correctly over the weekend. The idea of making high-speed datalogging passes without my ValentineOne attached seems foolhardy...

Of course the weather here is still in the 30's... so my IATs are going to seem amazing on the logs. I do want to get some "BEFORE" data on the stock setup.....then swap in the PLM H/E.... datalog again, and eventually do the split cooling mod with a custom engine tank and measure that one too.

All in good time, I suppose.

-G
Old 03-21-2014, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
My PLX kiwi worked great. That is, until I upgraded my idevices to IOS7. Now it won't connect at all.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
My PLX kiwi worked great. That is, until I upgraded my idevices to IOS7. Now it won't connect at all.
Yep, that might have been the last straw for mine as well.

I've also read a lot of complaints about the manufacturing issues with the PLX WiFi. They use an off-the-shelf wire/OBD plug and then manually trim the strain relief on it to fit inside the PLX housing. I've seen photos where where the wires were cut through the insulation and in some cases severed completely... causing intermittent or completely inoperable units.

Mine was never that good at connecting via WiFi.... it always seemed to scan endlessly before finally establishing the connection. The OT-2 is a lot quicker (even with IOS7.1) and seems to have no issue with the various OBD apps I've tried so far. It's about the same price at the PLX unit (~$150) but seems to have more capabilities for direct connection to USB and serial devices and it just flat-out works.

-G
Old 03-22-2014, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
I have had the OT2 for a while now and one word of caution - unplug the OBD2 connector when you park the car. The device does not turn off and has a fairly high draw that will kill your battery in a few days. I documented the problem in another thread and Innovate is aware of the problem. Other than that issue, I like the OT2 & LC1 combo.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good tip thanks. Yeah, I noticed that there was am LED indicator on the unit that stays illuminated when I kill the ignition. Any idea what the pin outs are for the OBD-II connector are? It would be nice if there was a way to rework it to only be enabled with key-on power.

-G
Old 03-22-2014, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
Originally Posted by GregMB
Good tip thanks. Yeah, I noticed that there was am LED indicator on the unit that stays illuminated when I kill the ignition. Any idea what the pin outs are for the OBD-II connector are? It would be nice if there was a way to rework it to only be enabled with key-on power.

-G
Unfortunately I worked with Innovate on this and just can't be done....at least that was our conclusion (problem with their design).