Sponsored by:

What's your WOT AFR?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 06:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55 AMG Kompressor
What's your WOT AFR?

So, I purchased my car about 3 months ago. It's got a fair amount of of goodies for performance including:
Upgraded IC pump,
K&N air filters,
172mm lower pulley,
renntech exhaust,
Aquamist injection system with BoostJuice in the tank.
and supposedly a Eurocharged ECU and TCU reflash.

1st set of dyno pulls , all made 470-480 whp. AFT running down to 10:1 AFR (without spraying the WM injection)

I asked EC about this, they said that it's probably the SC pump that's failed and is reading high IAT....... and so on.

checked Pump. works just fine. about 45 days later, pulled it on the rollers again, this time spraying WM.

Absolutely no change whatsoever in output, and AFR's ran around 9.5:1 spraying. I made 484 whp consistently every pull.

Is everyone's 55k running this insanely rich?, or am I the only one wasting gas when I mash the pedal?

I'm rather new to Mercedes, I come from, and still am part of the Honda enthusiast community, where tune's aren't voodoo magic and there's ecu files shared like booze at a hotel party. I'd expect my car to be in the high 10's-mid 11's AFR given the concern of MBT not being found, any input??
Old 04-29-2014, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,489 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
Did you monitor your actual IAT's?

On the street I see around 11.6 down to 10.9 on occasion at higher IAT's

Running the EC box tune right now
Old 04-29-2014, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
Mine goes below 10:1 afr with the alcohol spraying also. There's power to be gained by leaning it out for sure.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:30 PM

2006 E55 AMG Kompressor
I didn't monitor iats, ill be getting a scan tool to monitor the parameters soon. But the laws of science still exist, if my iats were excessive, the dyno would show it, spraying added no marginal benefit, leading to my understanding conclusion that iats aren't excessive.. Ideal gas laws
Old 04-29-2014, 07:09 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Dyno tune 3rd gear pull with ice in the tank and ait's in check my AFR is 11.5 in the upper RMPS. The box tunes are usually rich because the tuners want to be on the safe side. I think you need a dyno tune my friend, that's way too rich IMO and could actually cause some problems ie fouled plugs and cylinder washdown.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:23 PM

2006 E55 AMG Kompressor
Originally Posted by bstudey01
Dyno tune 3rd gear pull with ice in the tank and ait's in check my AFR is 11.5 in the upper RMPS. The box tunes are usually rich because the tuners want to be on the safe side. I think you need a dyno tune my friend, that's way too rich IMO and could actually cause some problems ie fouled plugs and cylinder washdown.
Dyno tune, yes.
Yeah im wayy too rich. But the only real issue of running this rixh is power isnt optimized, and fuel is wasted, cylinder washing doesn't occur when the ignition cycle is occurring
Old 04-29-2014, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts
2003 SL55,2020 GTC ,2017 GTS sold ,2002 G500 Sold,2003 SL500 Sold,
Mine go high 12s at top of 3 rd sometimes low 13 s dual wide band Zeitronics set up,I recorded a full run in the 14,s when my fuel pump was bad ,those small numbers on the dashdaq are hard to read making a pass lol,it's a box tune,however I went to a 82 mm TB from 80 and sometimes I run a CAI I made with no filters also these numbers were made when its cold out like 20 30 deg temps ,it drops into high tens in 4 th

Last edited by cnterline; 04-29-2014 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Add
Old 04-29-2014, 07:30 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by cnterline
Mine go high 12s at top of 3 rd sometimes low 13 s dual wide band Zeitronics set up
Hmmm, that sounds lean my friend. Most dont go over 11.9 maybe 12 at WOT
Old 04-29-2014, 07:33 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Mitch Detailed
Dyno tune, yes.
Yeah im wayy too rich. But the only real issue of running this rixh is power isnt optimized, and fuel is wasted, cylinder washing doesn't occur when the ignition cycle is occurring
Your right. Good news is your still making a ton of power running that rich, gotta be well over 500 once the tune is right
Old 04-29-2014, 07:54 PM

2006 E55 AMG Kompressor
does anyone know what these performance shops are using to read/write the eprom?
Old 04-29-2014, 08:57 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E55 AMG on Ethanol-Meth; 600rwhp BMW M5
We set our customer around 11.5 afr, if you have meth it should drop to 11.0.....

If you would like a custom remote tune, hit us up brotha. We love to accommodate our southern boys.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:11 PM

2006 E55 AMG Kompressor
Originally Posted by BI-Performance
We set our customer around 11.5 afr, if you have meth it should drop to 11.0.....

If you would like a custom remote tune, hit us up brotha. We love to accommodate our southern boys.
I honestly want to just tune it myself locally at a friend's shop. I'm a graduate of EFI University, and am confident in most aspects of tuning fuel, ignition, and compensation maps. Most people aren't handing out this information either for fear of competition I suppose. Nonetheless, ill keep it in mind @Bip.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:22 PM

2006 E55 AMG Kompressor
Originally Posted by BI-Performance

I honestly want to just tune it myself locally at a friend's shop. I'm a graduate of EFI University, and am confident in most aspects of tuning fuel, ignition, and compensation maps. Most people aren't handing out this information either for fear of competition I suppose. Nonetheless, ill keep it in mind @Bip.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by Mitch Detailed
Exactly, Get a custom tune..

If you find the hardware and software needed to tune. Let me know by pm. I just want to tune my own car if it all possible.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,489 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
You will soon learn (somewhat frustratingly) that when it comes to tuning and aftermarket performance, Mercedes is not even comparable to Honda/GM/Ford. It's an extremely small marketplace and thus little aftermarket support, notwithstanding the Germans don't make it easy. They really don't like anyone (or even understand why you would want to) messing with their *****.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:15 PM

2006 E55 AMG Kompressor
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
You will soon learn (somewhat frustratingly) that when it comes to tuning and aftermarket performance, Mercedes is not even comparable to Honda/GM/Ford. It's an extremely small marketplace and thus little aftermarket support, notwithstanding the Germans don't make it easy. They really don't like anyone (or even understand why you would want to) messing with their *****.
Lol trust me, im well on my way haha.
Im gonna be adding an oscilloscope /logger to the canbus in the future, hopefully to see what data is being sent and received by the ecu. A Stand alone ems system is beneficial in the right hands
Old 04-29-2014, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Dirt Scooters
Tuning alone is 99% of what's holding these cars back. I'm not knocking the tuners at all I'm just saying if we (the people that know what they're doing tuning a car) were able to tune the cars ourselves we would already be in the 9's. Most of the problem is it being German and everything being integrated as far as the driveline/electronics go.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
Mitch you are right the tuning is subpar not because of the tuners but because it's not as easy as ford or honda. Getting a stand alone would be expensive and not easy either. Motec or pro efi system would easily run over 5k if it can be done and tuning for all sensors would be a nightmare. Btw the meth spraying will lower your afrs because as you know you are adding more fuel, it would be great to get tuned for meth but tuners for these cars don't like to tune for meth in case something malfunctions since the ecu won't pull timing in time and detonate
Old 04-30-2014, 11:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by e55amgrocket
Tuning alone is 99% of what's holding these cars back. I'm not knocking the tuners at all I'm just saying if we (the people that know what they're doing tuning a car) were able to tune the cars ourselves we would already be in the 9's. Most of the problem is it being German and everything being integrated as far as the driveline/electronics go.
Bingo
Old 04-30-2014, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts
2003 SL55,2020 GTC ,2017 GTS sold ,2002 G500 Sold,2003 SL500 Sold,
Ok I put in the EC 550 s ill let you know what happens WOT since the company that gave me the tune said too lean at high 12 s ,it was ok with 80 mm guess it leaned out a little after 82mm TB and then trans tune which made it shift higher more air I'm guessing,next is th 90 mm ,another hurdle on who's gonna tune that
Old 04-30-2014, 03:09 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
A lot of things that we see are cars change hands and people decide to part some mods while keeping others. The tune might have been for additional mods ie tb or sc pulley and was never changed.

We can easily custom tune her for ya remotely if needed.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55, 07 ML500
Originally Posted by loungn14
A lot of things that we see are cars change hands and people decide to part some mods while keeping others. The tune might have been for additional mods ie tb or sc pulley and was never changed.

Do this/\/\... I had a box tune from EC and was running rich in the low tens I believe, did a custom dyno tune and am running 11.4/11.6 WOT.. My car also adapted quite well to the box tune, so there really was not alot of tweaking to do.. Good luck...
Old 04-30-2014, 05:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CLS55 AMG, ML63 AMG, Cayenne S

Jerry@EC did this for me, very happy with my tune.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:38 PM

2006 E55 AMG Kompressor
Originally Posted by Joncl
Mitch you are right the tuning is subpar not because of the tuners but because it's not as easy as ford or honda. Getting a stand alone would be expensive and not easy either. Motec or pro efi system would easily run over 5k if it can be done and tuning for all sensors would be a nightmare. Btw the meth spraying will lower your afrs because as you know you are adding more fuel, it would be great to get tuned for meth but tuners for these cars don't like to tune for meth in case something malfunctions since the ecu won't pull timing in time and detonate
Less assumptions, more facts man. Myths spread like wildfires due to the lack of information with these vehicles.

Statement 1: it's not as easy to tune as a ford or a honda.

Actuality: Software has been designed and implemented on your common cars to ease functionality, and increase available features. The tuning process isn't changing from 1 car to another. Tuning isn't art, it's a craft.

Statement 2: Motec or Pro-efi would easily cost over 5k if it can be done, if it can be done, and tuning for all sensors would be a nightmare..

Actuality: Motec or Pro-efi are not the only options these days. AEM has released their Infinity Stand alone units, and Haltech's elite should be released to the market soon. Granted the haltech unit is expected to be in the 3k range, Infinity's unit that gets the job done runs right at 1700 bucks.
that's over 3300 of your expected budget for wiring, additional sensors, and pnp compatibility, and tuning. And as for tuning for each sensor, I can tell you that the difficulty you encounter in doing so is only as hard as you personally make it. I'm currently creating a pnp standalone unit (Microsquirt) for my ZX10r with my day's off work. Scaling for pressure, temperature, and reference signals is pretty easy once you understand how they work. If you're interested in learning these signals, the EFI fundamentals and Wiring Fundamentals course at https://courses.learntotune.com/school/catalog/ can get you all the information you're looking for when it comes to sensors. they've really helped me along my journey.

The only real difficult process (the main one holding us back currently) is adapting CANbus signals to send and receive the information other modules are looking for. Keyless go, trans, Comand dash and the ecu all communicate with each other via CAN. i'm gonna be picking up a digital oscilloscope soon to start datalogging the CANbus signals and decoding it based on what the car is doing. this is the main thing holding us back, and fortunately, the standalone market is adapting well to it.

I will accept this as it is a possibility. but considering the car was purchased with HRE wheels, Renntech exhaust, a 172mm pulley, kleeman headers, and the aquamist system, I have a hard time believing that, theres only a handful of items that will help get more air into the engine, TB, bigger pulley, and internal engine mods...

I cannot rule out either option, but the circumstantial evidence sways to once side.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
Ok you seem to know something that many here have been trying to accomplish with the stand alone, I really hope you succeed because we all would like to able to add more timing or add more fuel with diff conditions at the track etc and not have to rely on tuners to email files back and forth
Go for it bro!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's your WOT AFR?