W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!!! ATTENTION !!!! - FUEL LEAK ISSUE HAS BEEN SETTLED BY DAIMLER-BENZ... 2014.12.23

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 11:21 AM
Banned

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by driffydre
Stop being so sensitive... lol. Nothing is wrong with questioning stuff. The point of the post was not only just to get information but also to make others aware of the possible hiccups to avoid if they encounter the fuel tank issue. Also just an FYI I think the warranty coverage expires in August 2018. I think thats what I saw on the service agent's computer when he was showing me what It covers. I will double check. So if you are having the issue jump on It.
Already taken care of years ago.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
W211 E55 AMG
Is this “15 year warranty” from the date of manufacture? I’m just getting antsy now bc I just read in a recent post that the extended warranty ends in Aug ‘18...

my e55 as been in storage for two years in TN and I’m going up to Nashville at the end of August to tow it back it down to West Palm, so I can finally enjoy the car again, but I know it won’t be ready to go to MB for a few more months....I just hope I don’t miss my window

its a 2005 e55 and I remember it would REEK of fuel when I would fill it up, and i remember reading this thread back in 2015 but never found the time to get it done...

any positive information would be great appreciated (that means I don’t want to hear from the trolls about my car being in storage for two years...I already know what you’re gonna say. And if it makes you feel better, I do feel bad about it)
Old 08-14-2018, 03:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by zhmorrow13
Is this “15 year warranty” from the date of manufacture? I’m just getting antsy now bc I just read in a recent post that the extended warranty ends in Aug ‘18...

my e55 as been in storage for two years in TN and I’m going up to Nashville at the end of August to tow it back it down to West Palm, so I can finally enjoy the car again, but I know it won’t be ready to go to MB for a few more months....I just hope I don’t miss my window

its a 2005 e55 and I remember it would REEK of fuel when I would fill it up, and i remember reading this thread back in 2015 but never found the time to get it done...

any positive information would be great appreciated (that means I don’t want to hear from the trolls about my car being in storage for two years...I already know what you’re gonna say. And if it makes you feel better, I do feel bad about it)
The warranty extension letter says "model year". So it should be from the model year rather than the date of manufacture. I've had mine replaced twice so far.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 e55, 2006 e500 4matic wagon
My 2003 is currently at the dealer having this work done. My date of manufacture is July 2003. I’d also like to add that it’s been there for almost 6 weeks now. They claim that a “hardware kit“ has been ordered from Germany but seems to be currently unavailable. Make sure they have the parts before you drop your car off, or you’ll end up driving a loaner GL for the majority of the summer like I’ve been.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
W211 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by 51north
My 2003 is currently at the dealer having this work done. My date of manufacture is July 2003. I’d also like to add that it’s been there for almost 6 weeks now. They claim that a “hardware kit“ has been ordered from Germany but seems to be currently unavailable. Make sure they have the parts before you drop your car off, or you’ll end up driving a loaner GL for the majority of the summer like I’ve been.

id be okay with that. Now if they tried to give me some gla cla junk I’d be pissed
Old 09-14-2018, 09:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 E63 AMG Sedan
The last 2 tanks on my 08 E 63 have made the car straight smell like gas is leaking. I called the dealer this morning and the initial person said they don't see anything regarding the fuel issue for this car. Just said ok and I will talk with service adviser when I drop it off on Monday.

Hopefully I am not in for a fight. Car only has 48k miles on it and really hope this is the issue and it gets taken care of. Anyone on here have experience with the Georgetown, TX dealer?
Old 09-14-2018, 11:40 AM

2003 e55, 2006 e500 4matic wagon
Remove the bottom portion of your rear seat and Pull the round metal covers. You will see fuel puddling On top of the tank where the fuel pumps are if that is your issue. Also, my car has an aftermarket exhaust that is completely welded from front to back. They were able to remove the transmission mount and maneuver the exhaust in such a way that they could access the tank without cutting the exhaust off. They didn’t charge me anything additional for this work. Good luck. My car was at the dealer for nine weeks.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 CL63, '05 E500 Wagon
Originally Posted by Worth the wait
Lets get a few things straight...

Both sides of the sender/pumps should be replaced as regular maintenance every five years or 60K miles, wether they are leaking or not.

Good luck to all!!!
@ Worth the wait:

Who says it should be replaced every 60K? Does MB USA say that in any service documents? I do not see that on the MB W211 Service Sheet I have. If the parts mentioned in the warranty extension were part of regular service, people would be replacing them before they fail as part of the service and there would be no need for an extension. In case people DENIED service of an item at regular recommended intervals, why would MB agree to cover a problem that the customer intentionally declined to have done even though MB said it's part of regular maintenance?

I'm as happy as the next guy that we got this extension but I don't understand why MB would do it if these items are actually part of the regular recommended service that people have declined to have done and ended up with leaks as a result the thereof.

Now, if the "should be replace every 60K" is not on the official MB documents but an independent opinion based on how to potentially avoid these issues as we've seen the failures occur things change completly of course.

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2018, 03:07 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
2024 GLS580; 2019 E450 4M Coupe; 2019 Lexus ES350
Has anyone had success getting a refund? If so, who do I contact? I purchased parts online and had an indy shop do the repairs back in 2014.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:28 PM
Banned

Yes, three years ago. Painless. Drop off all invoices to a SA at a dealership for refund. We got a check from an MB address in Texas. It might be the same facility that makes the keys in the US, too. It took two weeks from submitting the invoices to receiving the check.
The following users liked this post:
dtl919 (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 03:36 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
2024 GLS580; 2019 E450 4M Coupe; 2019 Lexus ES350
Originally Posted by Mackhack
Yes, three years ago. Painless. Drop off all invoices to a SA at a dealership for refund. We got a check from an MB address in Texas. It might be the same facility that makes the keys in the US, too. It took two weeks from submitting the invoices to receiving the check.
Great! I'll give it a try. Thanks Mackhack!
Old 09-16-2018, 06:57 PM

'08 CL63, '05 E500 Wagon
Originally Posted by Mackhack

How did MB refund for this repair 3 years ago? Didn't MB just agree to the warranty extension around April 2018? Or are you saying you had the repair done 3 years ago and just now got refunded by MB?
Old 09-16-2018, 07:03 PM
Banned

Confused? LOL

The original extended warranty on the fule tank was 10 years/unlimited miles. We got the repair done by our friend’s MB shop in 2015. We took the invoice and gave it to a SA at the dealership. Two weeks later we received the check in the mail from MB (still in 2015).
Old 09-29-2018, 02:28 AM

porsche
is it too late for a 2003?
Old 09-29-2018, 03:59 AM

2003 E55
Just in time

I bought my E55 July 4th, noticed mid-August that I was getting fuel odors when I filled the tank.Saw this notice Labor Day, checked my VIN report, said my car was built August 20tn (my birthday!) & thought I missed the deadline.Called MBUSA on Sept 6th, they told me my cars in-service date was 9/18/03 & that I had 12 days to get my car fixed. Whew!

They told me the dealer would diagnose the issue, & if they didn't find a problem, I would have to pay a diagnostic fee. Didn't want to go in with a full tank that they would just throw away, so I made the appointment for a week out, filled up my tank and swung by the dealer to make sure they could smell the fuel.

Thought he would walk around back, but the service manager opened my back door, stuck his head in and confirmed that he smelled gas. He said the repair kit had two seals in in it for the top of the tank, but the issue now is that the new kit doesn't fit the old tanks, so they have to replace the entire tank.

Thanks for posting.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:20 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
ez-go
My fuel pump is leaking into the harness. I believe the connectors being saturated in fuel has created an issue where my pump no longer works. Do you guys think they will repair this under this warranty?
Old 11-14-2018, 10:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Style_Front
My fuel pump is leaking into the harness. I believe the connectors being saturated in fuel has created an issue where my pump no longer works. Do you guys think they will repair this under this warranty?
Honestly this is a typical question you should ask MB or MBUSA. If I’d say yes and they say no how would my answer help you?

Gasoline is non conductive and I doubt it is the cause of your problem. To my best knowledge they will only cover if te fuel actually comes out and sits on the fuel pump assembly.

When you know the answer please share.

Good luck.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:53 AM

2004 E55 AMG, 2005 E55 AMG (Sold)
If you have the fuel leak, they change out every component of the fuel system including the gas tank, the pump & the sender ..also, if your pump no longer works, then your car wouldn't start and fuel leaks into the car by function of the pump turning on and leaking from the faulty plastic elbow piece
Old 11-14-2018, 01:59 PM

ez-go
Originally Posted by veryswag
also, if your pump no longer works, then your car wouldn't start and fuel leaks into the car by function of the pump turning on and leaking from the faulty plastic elbow piece
its saturated simply because my tank is full. I filled my car up with gas, circled the block and it died. When I opened the inspection window and pulled the plug all the pins were sitting in a pool of fuel. I took a rag, soaked it up, and as fast as I soaked it up and refilled itself.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:39 PM
Banned

Now it depends of the manufacturing date of your vehicle. It's only covered for 15 years (unlimited miles).

Last edited by Mackhack; 11-14-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:38 PM

ez-go
manufactured December 2004
Old 11-14-2018, 06:41 PM
Banned

manufactured December 2004
You better stop asking questions here and go straight to MB. Time is ticking for you.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:12 PM

S600
Hi all,
My 2009 E350 starts smell strong gas odor when fill up for last 6 months now (109K mileage)
I found the MB Warranty Extension letter here. Bring a hard copy with me to Park Place Mercedes Arlington Texas. Dealer called me back and said my car is NOT under this extended warranty!
I called MBUSA to have the same answer. I even punch in my VIN on MBUSA webpage to see the same. MB Rep told me the warranty based on VIN, not year made! Totally BS since I examine the letter which did not mention about "call MB to see if your VIN covered"!
What should I do to escalate this issue? I did fill out complaint on NHTSA
Thanks in advance
Old 12-07-2018, 01:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2007 e63
Originally Posted by thuan98
Hi all,
My 2009 E350 starts smell strong gas odor when fill up for last 6 months now (109K mileage)
I found the MB Warranty Extension letter here. Bring a hard copy with me to Park Place Mercedes Arlington Texas. Dealer called me back and said my car is NOT under this extended warranty!
I called MBUSA to have the same answer. I even punch in my VIN on MBUSA webpage to see the same. MB Rep told me the warranty based on VIN, not year made! Totally BS since I examine the letter which did not mention about "call MB to see if your VIN covered"!
What should I do to escalate this issue? I did fill out complaint on NHTSA
Thanks in advance
Find a new dealer who can look at this. The work should be done as it covers all model years.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:43 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
05 E55 AMG
Just got mine done at Mercedes of Fremont in the Bay Area and they, or should I say my service advisor, did a terrific job and ended up replacing my whole fuel tank and all components. Super happy with the treatment. Mercedes of Modesto looked at me like I was crazy and told me I could not take a loaner. SMH

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: !!! ATTENTION !!!! - FUEL LEAK ISSUE HAS BEEN SETTLED BY DAIMLER-BENZ... 2014.12.23