W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!!! ATTENTION !!!! - FUEL LEAK ISSUE HAS BEEN SETTLED BY DAIMLER-BENZ... 2014.12.23

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 09:17 AM
Banned

Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by bobgodd
Try MB of Escondido, and San Diego. Worth a phone call at least.
Escondido is going downhill since the new ownership from the Middle East took over. You have to be prepared to fight (ugly and loud) and don’t let them walk all over you.
Old 02-02-2021, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 Amg
I was not as lucky as some of you. At the time that I took my E55 in I was only out of warranty by a couple of months, but was denied goodwill by two different stealerships. In addition, I received no assistance from MBUSA. I ended up driving the car and only filling up the tank half way. After getting tired of doing that I just ordered the parts and did the job myself. I did not have to change the tank, only the sender and pump. I eventually had to change the 30A fuse located near the spare tire as that blew. I have put several thousand miles on the car with long road trips and the car has been rock solid with zero vapors or leaks (fingers crossed).
Old 03-07-2021, 08:29 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
CLS55AMG
CLS55 fuel leak

I have had my CLS55 parked since fall last year (live in Wisconsin) and today opened up the car and i could smell gas faintly. I thought I smelled it last year but dismissed it. I pulled up the drivers side rear seat and had some fuel residue but when I took off the bolt on cover our was full of fuel!!

I don't know what the date of sale my car had originally is when the warranty starts. It was made in 09/2005.
I really hope I did not blow my warranty period of 15 years. I am calling my dealer tomorrow!

Old 03-15-2021, 11:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E500
I'm gonna try the dealer first, but since my 2004 is out of that warranty, can anyone list the parts that I'll need to correct the stink in the passenger compartment? Or maybe point to a video that explains what parts to order and how to fix it? Whats funny is they recently fixed the ESP or whatever that ABS brake thing was. The Service Manager told me it was a $2K plus fix and Mercedes covered it completely. Just got a recall for the sunroof a week or two ago... they want to fix that as well. Stinky gas under the seat... there's shouldn't be any limitation on such a poor design flaw. My 51 year old Camaro still has the original gas tank and fuel lines. TIA-Mike/Mass
The following users liked this post:
thtguy (07-21-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 11:23 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,940 Likes on 3,103 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
This situation seems similar to current W212 and W222 owners are experiencing.

Is the settlement in the original post related only to W211 E55?
Old 03-15-2021, 11:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chassis
This situation seems similar to current W212 and W222 owners are experiencing.

Is the settlement in the original post related only to W211 E55?
Not restricted to E55 only. All 211 S and W.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (03-15-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
CN Autotool (cnautotool.com) is a reliable source for all diagnostic products and much more for MB and all others. I have found their customer support to be excellent.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:14 AM

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
2017 GLS 550
Has anyone seen the fuel leak issue return after having all the parts replaced. I had my tank and sending units replaced by Mercedes under warranty about 6 years ago. I am noticing very strong smells of fuel in the car as well as I get the open gas cap light warning a lot. Looks like it's time to replace the tank again going to have to go out of pocket I guess this time I think Mercedes should still be on the hook for it honestly that's not a part that should fail, especially after only 6 years.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by thtguy
Has anyone seen the fuel leak issue return after having all the parts replaced. I had my tank and sending units replaced by Mercedes under warranty about 6 years ago. I am noticing very strong smells of fuel in the car as well as I get the open gas cap light warning a lot. Looks like it's time to replace the tank again going to have to go out of pocket I guess this time I think Mercedes should still be on the hook for it honestly that's not a part that should fail, especially after only 6 years.
If you read this thread and others you’ll see several people had this issue. At least one reported to smell fuel after just a year.
Old 11-07-2021, 12:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by thtguy
Yes. Smell is back.
Old 12-14-2021, 08:17 AM

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts
2004 E55 K Wagon &. '96 SL500
Is this only for USA customers?
Old 03-10-2022, 06:17 PM

e55
Are all of the related parts replaced in the warranty extension including tank, sender unit, pumps etc? Has anyone experienced a dealer that just transfers your old components into a new tank?
Old 03-11-2022, 09:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by Concorde
Are all of the related parts replaced in the warranty extension including tank, sender unit, pumps etc? Has anyone experienced a dealer that just transfers your old components into a new tank?
Yes, they're all part of the, "covered fuel tank components". From the original warranty letter, "Specifically, the warranty on the fuel tank, fuel filter /sender, fuel
pump, and related gaskets/seals, and retention rings (collectively the "Covered Fuel Tank Components")"
Old 03-11-2022, 10:16 AM

e55
Thanks O2C32Guy

I dropped off my e55 last week at Fletcher Jones Newport Beach for the extended warranty on the fuel tank that MB has been offering. I received a call later in the afternoon from the dealership and they determined that it's leaking and will be covered under the warranty arrangement. He said the downside is that they are out of stock and they will probably need to order the tank from Germany. It's not a problem for me to wait, I just want it done correctly. Many owners have complained about leaks coming from the sender units, pumps, and tanks.

Three days later I received a call that they needed authorization from me to add fuel to the tank and it will be ready in the morning. I called the service advisor to ask if the adapter harnesses are on the work order. The polarity is swapped for the updated fuel tank systems and I wanted to make sure this was correct before the vehicle was picked up.

The service advisor told me the harnesses aren't necessary since they only replaced the tank and not the related parts. This didn't sound right, so I asked him to confirm. He called back and confirmed they transferred the old sender unit, pumps etc to the new tank. The car has well over 100k miles. It seems like they didn't want to wait for Germany so they ordered a "tank only". I really didn't expect this from a dealership like Fletcher Jones Newport Beach.

The letter from MB states the tank and related parts (fuel filter/sender, fuel pump, and related gaskets (collectively the "Covered Fuel Tank Components") are to be replaced under the extended warranty. This extended warranty was actually a result from a lawsuit against MBUSA. They agreed to replace these parts for affected cars in trade so they would not receive a full recall on all of the vehicle models for the affected years.

There was another member here that the dealer ordered a tank system from Germany, December 2021, and it was manufactured and shipped out in 10 days.

I have explained to them that the extended warranty was to cover the fuel tank and related parts. We have gone back and forth and now they are checking with MBUSA.
Old 03-11-2022, 10:41 AM

2005 E55
Mine has been replaced three times. The second time I was on the road and had to leave the car at a dealer in northern Virginia. That dealer tried to charge me for the work. They clearly didn't want to bother with my lowly 2005 E55. Without me saying a word, he came back and said they'd pay half. I laughed at him and sent him the letter. He told me he had never heard of the extended warranty. He called MBUSA and ended up ordering the tank / fuel assembly from Germany that day. IIRC, it took about two weeks. All of that is to say that the dealers will say a lot of things. Many of which are completely untrue.
Old 03-11-2022, 07:05 PM

e55
Originally Posted by 02C32guy
Mine has been replaced three times. The second time I was on the road and had to leave the car at a dealer in northern Virginia. That dealer tried to charge me for the work. They clearly didn't want to bother with my lowly 2005 E55. Without me saying a word, he came back and said they'd pay half. I laughed at him and sent him the letter. He told me he had never heard of the extended warranty. He called MBUSA and ended up ordering the tank / fuel assembly from Germany that day. IIRC, it took about two weeks. All of that is to say that the dealers will say a lot of things. Many of which are completely untrue.
When was this last tank ordered?

I'm getting the run-around now from the dealer. They sent me a Bulletin and said they did the proper replacement. The bulletin states that if the tank is found to be defective after a VMI, then the complete fuel tank assembly will be replaced. The tank was cracked. They replaced only the metal tank and cobbled together parts (filter, pumps, sender unit etc) from the defective tank. Either the service manager didn't read the bulletin he sent or he doesn't understand the direction of the bulletin.
Old 03-14-2022, 07:34 AM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by Concorde
When was this last tank ordered?

I'm getting the run-around now from the dealer. They sent me a Bulletin and said they did the proper replacement. The bulletin states that if the tank is found to be defective after a VMI, then the complete fuel tank assembly will be replaced. The tank was cracked. They replaced only the metal tank and cobbled together parts (filter, pumps, sender unit etc) from the defective tank. Either the service manager didn't read the bulletin he sent or he doesn't understand the direction of the bulletin.
I know the first time was 10/17 because I have a digital invoice from MB Wilmington. So the most recent would be after that (maybe 2019). I'll have to look through my records. The most recent time the fuel pump actually stopped working leaving me stranded. Honestly, it probably needs it again, but I drive it so infrequently that I haven't felt like dealing with it.
Old 03-15-2022, 05:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2004 E55
Are they fixing the ones they fixed in 2014/15 again?

my smell is back
Old 03-15-2022, 09:48 AM

2005 E55
Just take it in. They should. Mine has been done three times.
Old 09-23-2022, 12:23 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
E55
Has anyone in this thread have Mercedes cover the repair in 2022? Not sure how @Concorde was able to get them to perform this repair since it’s supposed to be 15 years after first registration. Some details on this would be great. I have an 06 that just had this issue pop up and the dealer said it was out of warranty and denied the repair.
Old 12-29-2022, 09:03 PM

MB 2009 E550
Late 2022 Effort to Fix Fuel Leak Issue on a 2009 E550

Issue has been addressed

Last edited by lionking1969; 04-20-2023 at 04:33 PM. Reason: No replies and no longer an issue.
Old 02-21-2023, 06:05 AM

2005 E55 AMG
Fuel Pump Not Covered Under Warranty?

Hi guys! I really need some help getting this resolved. Back in 2018 i had the fuel tank system replaced in my E55 due to the fuel leak. I got the car back without incident. But 10 months later the fuel pump died and i took the car into the Paramus, NJ dealership and the service department told me the pump isnt covered under their warranty. So i had to shell out $3000 to have the pump replaced! Of course I was livid and at the time and I didnt pursue it any further because i believed them. So last month I talked to another E55 owner about what happened and he said it should have been covered. So I went to MBUSA and put in my complaint and they checked with the parts department and said the pump indeed should have been covered! So I went back to the dealership and they still insisted that the pump wasn't covered and handed me this letter. I wouldn't think this letter had anything to do with the manufacturer warranty, am I correct? If a brand new MB pump failed only 10 months after it was installed under the 15 year fuel tank warrany I would think the pump should be covered. And if it is indeed covered, am I entitled for a refund for the entire $3000 or only get a refund for the pump? I'm really stuck on this and need some help with this. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2023, 03:54 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Update.....

I talked to one of the directors at MBUSA and he explained to me since the fuel pump failed 10 months after the warranty work was completed, it surpassed the 15 year extension and therefore the pump was no longer under the manufacturers warranty because I didn't pay for it. If I paid for it, then the manufacturers warranty would have applied. I guess the entire fuel system was replaced for free and when the 15 year warranty expired, nothing was under warranty anymore.

So basically if the part was paid for, its covered under manufacturers warranty. If it wasn't paid for, there's no more warranty outside the 15 year window. Sucks to be me.
Old 01-04-2024, 06:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CLS 55 AMG P30, C32 AMG
This might help:
Old 07-07-2024, 06:15 PM

E55 AMG, Audi Q5 TDI
My lock ring for the fuel pumps just failed. Tank was full so quite a bit of fuel spilled in the garage. Upon inspection the connector is also melted.

Sadly I didn’t inspect any of this during the extended warranty period. I assumed it was resolved years back when the tank and pumps were replaced.

Not sure it will go anywhere but I filed a report with NHTSA and emailed MBUSA.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: !!! ATTENTION !!!! - FUEL LEAK ISSUE HAS BEEN SETTLED BY DAIMLER-BENZ... 2014.12.23