Sponsored by:

Coilover conversion with pics and....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
E55 and several 928s
I could still sub in these below. Available on Ebay. They are for non-airbag cars and so will go straight instead around. I am not sure how close they would go to the spring then. The end on the subframe side is clearly different.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 and several 928s
And these:

http://mbartsperformance.com/MBA-211-ARCA.html
Old 02-10-2019, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 and several 928s
Old 02-11-2019, 07:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55 AMG Kombi
Good lord. You've been working on a suspension replacement since 2014? I've done that job about 6 times on 2 different cars(BMW 135i, Porsche Cayman) in that span. The only time it ever took longer than a day to complete the work was when I found the company had sent me incorrectly sized springs in the middle of a swap. Hope you get it sorted soon. I was reading the thread to see your impressions of the Bilsteins. LOL.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 and several 928s
Not sure if joking. Did you read the thread? Changing shocks when you know everything else is 100% is simple.

All Bushings (you know, the ones that wear out and slam-bam people like you forget about and then post “have a strange noise”

LSD. Steering, brakes, and now the engine comes out because “added boost, engine making noise” threads are also irritating. Headers, motor mounts.

Amd, as anyone understands that has a job, kids, and other responsibilities, “we got other **** to do”

Details matter.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:39 PM

2006 E55 AMG Kombi
Originally Posted by BC928
Not sure if joking. Did you read the thread? Changing shocks when you know everything else is 100% is simple.

All Bushings (you know, the ones that wear out and slam-bam people like you forget about and then post “have a strange noise”

LSD. Steering, brakes, and now the engine comes out because “added boost, engine making noise” threads are also irritating. Headers, motor mounts.

Amd, as anyone understands that has a job, kids, and other responsibilities, “we got other **** to do”

Details matter.
I was partially joking, but I honestly don't understand how it is taking quite this long other than just not doing it/getting in over your head. Don't mean that in the sense that you aren't capable of the work, just that maybe you shouldn't go that deep if you actually want a car that runs and drives and you don't have time to put in the hours? Maybe that doesn't bother you, but it would bother me that it was sitting unused. I would worry about things going wrong due to disuse.

I've replaced virtually every control arm and bushing on my Cayman, and the same on my old 540i and several on my 135i as performance upgrades. I understand what this job takes. It's all really quite simple work if you have a little experience. Never had an issue getting the car running at the end of that particular day. On the 135i I did rear subframe bushings, front control arm swap, and an entire suspension swap to aftermarket coilovers in under 7 hours, though I did have a friend to lend a hand. Took less than 4 to swap the factory suspension back in when I sold it as I knew the procedure after doing it once before. It's just not all that time consuming is all I am saying.

I'm like you in that I can't stand when something doesn't feel right, and I'm very sensitive to that. Many would say too sensitive. I guess the difference is that I'm not willing to let the car just sit. I do my research, wait till I have all the needed parts, then do the job all the way through in one day. It might take Two to do the complete suspension including all of the control arms etc, but I personally wouldn't start unless I had time set aside for it.

Removing an engine would obviously be a different matter, I didn't see any mention of that in the thread, but honestly by page three I was just scanning to see if you ever got done. Never had an engine out myself. Closest I have gotten was transmission, for a clutch replacement, and that was done same day as well, though it was a long day.

If I was close I would honestly offer you a hand. Just hate seeing someone with their car dismantled for this long. Not meant to be hateful, just honestly shocked .
Old 02-11-2019, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 and several 928s
Dude. I am going to have to assume you are have the best intentions and are not just pulling out your dick to measure... It is hard to understand intent as we not on bar stools over some root beer. Each person works at a different pace and one pace is not better than another pace. (And you are a new member with 9 posts...)

I don't need to explain but since you sort of offered that you would help if closer -

I do longer projects. Its just the way I work - because its my hobby and not my job. I do this for fun - we all should be, and if its not fun, we should be driving Teslas that no one can touch or work on because the company doesn't actually want you to. I'm the guy that finishes the car and you can eat off the wheel well. I don't work in dirt, and I don't put dirty parts back onto a car or clean parts onto a dirty car. I work through systems, and since I would like to have fun, I use new, clean parts and replace more then most as when I get into it, I find more issues. And, since I am having fun, I won't be working into a sweat. I will stop, go to lunch with the fam, maybe go to a movie, and start in the new day. I hustle at work. Why do it in my hobby?

This is car number 7 in a fleet. Truck, sedans, always several 928s. I have restored a few cars of different levels of fastidiousness. Brought a few back from the grave and drove them like I stole'em back into it. This is me: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1986-5-porsche-928s/ My restoration and high point sale changed the market from then to today: https://bringatrailer.com/porsche/928/

I leased a damn kia for my wife while I was working through this E55. It sat for a while as I did custom fenders and new paint on another different 928. Just replaced the radiator on my C7 Z51.

This is not from a lack of knowledge. It is from a lack of time as I only work on the weekends, and inevitably lose even some of those because I am helping friends.

I waited 60 days for the tools from Taiwan to take out and put back the bushings in the rear subframe.

Look at the forum we are in. Someone posted a thread about mufflers again 3 minutes ago, maybe we should all jump on and tell him to check the wear items on his car instead, lol.

I have to do brakes (Wilwood big brake kit) for the C7, and if they get too low, I may have to do that before I get the engine out. Plus I am picking up a 328 for my son to drive, lol. Time Marches on.
The following 2 users liked this post by BC928:
Dublinoh (04-26-2020), Sportunage (04-26-2020)
Old 02-12-2019, 12:10 AM

Received 138 Likes on 103 Posts
N/A
I had a 928 back in the day. Great car.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:34 PM

2006 E55 AMG Kombi
No dick measuring intended, just wanted you to know that I'm not blowing smoke with no experience doing the work, as that does happen on occasion in my experience.

I guess the thing for me is that I don't necessarily enjoy actually working on the car. I don't hate it, but really I do it because I hate paying someone else to do it, especially now that I know how easy most of it actually is. For me, the enjoyment comes from having the car running and on the road. If they would just stay that way without me having to put in the work, I would be that much happier. As it is, doing my own work allows me to afford nicer cars than I would be able to if I were paying someone else to do the work.

The other thing for me is that every time I have ever left a car alone for a period of time, something goes wrong with it, so I worry about arthritis settling in if I don't drive a car. My Cayman has been sitting for about a week due to bad weather here in Germany, and I'm already afraid of what will happen the next time I go to start it. My guess is a big cloud of smoke like last time, which will make me paranoid for weeks. Boxer engines tend to do that, and I think my Cayman has a failing Air Oil Separator, which exacerbates the problem. Currently doing the research on that job, and whether that is the real issue.

Hope you get time to get your car running sooner rather than later.

Dude. I am going to have to assume you are have the best intentions and are not just pulling out your dick to measure... It is hard to understand intent as we not on bar stools over some root beer. Each person works at a different pace and one pace is not better than another pace. (And you are a new member with 9 posts...)

I don't need to explain but since you sort of offered that you would help if closer -

I do longer projects. Its just the way I work - because its my hobby and not my job. I do this for fun - we all should be, and if its not fun, we should be driving Teslas that no one can touch or work on because the company doesn't actually want you to. I'm the guy that finishes the car and you can eat off the wheel well. I don't work in dirt, and I don't put dirty parts back onto a car or clean parts onto a dirty car. I work through systems, and since I would like to have fun, I use new, clean parts and replace more then most as when I get into it, I find more issues. And, since I am having fun, I won't be working into a sweat. I will stop, go to lunch with the fam, maybe go to a movie, and start in the new day. I hustle at work. Why do it in my hobby?

This is car number 7 in a fleet. Truck, sedans, always several 928s. I have restored a few cars of different levels of fastidiousness. Brought a few back from the grave and drove them like I stole'em back into it. This is me: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1986-5-porsche-928s/ My restoration and high point sale changed the market from then to today: https://bringatrailer.com/porsche/928/

I leased a damn kia for my wife while I was working through this E55. It sat for a while as I did custom fenders and new paint on another different 928. Just replaced the radiator on my C7 Z51.

This is not from a lack of knowledge. It is from a lack of time as I only work on the weekends, and inevitably lose even some of those because I am helping friends.

I waited 60 days for the tools from Taiwan to take out and put back the bushings in the rear subframe.

Look at the forum we are in. Someone posted a thread about mufflers again 3 minutes ago, maybe we should all jump on and tell him to check the wear items on his car instead, lol.

I have to do brakes (Wilwood big brake kit) for the C7, and if they get too low, I may have to do that before I get the engine out. Plus I am picking up a 328 for my son to drive, lol. Time Marches on. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFRksWULX7M
Old 02-16-2019, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 and several 928s
I may have mentioned this but I have all these pieces if someone wanted to string together a tier 2 set of parts/cores

Old 02-18-2019, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 and several 928s

Old 02-18-2019, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 and several 928s
Engine OUT! Now some cleaning and some disassembly to see what I have to to do. Very well running with jyst over 100k as I recall. Hopefully can do rings and bearings and seals (and resurfaced heads/valve seats).

One issue I did find is that the plug for the transmission has oil on the loom side pretty bad. Have to check to make sure it has not wicked into the TCU.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 252 Likes on 215 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
​​​Wow. You’re doing a lot of work to your car. Should be super nice when finished up.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:17 AM

N/A
This looks like the nice 928's I see from you. Great work.
The following users liked this post:
BC928 (02-28-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 and several 928s
Originally Posted by Fountain35
This looks like the nice 928's I see from you. Great work.
And it will even get driven afterword. Sort of kidding, but the red car did get resold and has sat at a stealer since then.

I have an 89GT waiting in the wings (and for this garage spot) for when the E55 is "done"/
Old 03-02-2019, 12:06 AM

N/A
And it will even get driven afterword. Sort of kidding, but the red car did get resold and has sat at a stealer since then.

I have an 89GT waiting in the wings (and for this garage spot) for when the E55 is "done"/
Be sure to post some pics of the 89GT!
Old 03-03-2019, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 and several 928s
I will. It’s sleeping.

Detonation showing on upper rod bearing? Lowers are nearly perfect.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 and several 928s
Stupid question I don't feel like firing up the workshop manuals this moment - where is the TCU?
Old 03-07-2019, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 and several 928s
Stock ring gap on top ring with a new set of rings on original bores = .012 - .013. Not big enough by any understanding.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 and several 928s
I wanted to show more pictures. I can tell a story but as to whether it is exciting, I don't know.

Quite a bit of oil coke on the top of the pistons. I will clean them and rering and probably coat the tops at least. This looks to be from the intake of oil through the intake, as well as some through the valves. The oil control rings were also very coked up. So some thought is required here for the rebuild.

Last edited by BC928; 03-12-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
So what was the cause of the corrosion on top of the pistons?

How many miles was on the engine?
Old 03-12-2019, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 and several 928s
Originally Posted by tlambert
So what was the cause of the corrosion on top of the pistons?

How many miles was on the engine?
not corrosion. Oil.

I mention it up in that post. Oil control rings, oil injection from intake, valves.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Yeah I may have used the wrong term. Sorry. I’m a collision guy. Lol. But I’m always interested in engines.

What was the mileage?

Last edited by tlambert; 03-12-2019 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 and several 928s
Originally Posted by tlambert
Yeah I may have used the wrong term. Sorry. I’m at collision guy. Lol. But I’m always interested in engines.

What was the mileage?
100k or so. Bores are perfect. No wear on rings. Strange wear on top bearing of rod like oil is too thin/clearance too small and there maybe was small levels of detonation.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Ah. I saw the bearing pic before. Keep posting your updates on your engine progress and whatever else you’re doing to the car.
I like see project threads, more interesting than header topics all the time. Lol.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Coilover conversion with pics and....