W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BROKEN SUPERCHARGER PULLEY DESTROYED my car!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 12:51 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
W211 E55 2003
Originally Posted by urbamworm
I haven't found the rubber hose yet since I am not sure what it is called.

It comes from the secondary airpump! Pretty sure you have to go to the dealer for that one, unless ofcourse you find a used one!

And also really sorry to see that happen.. hope you get it sorted ASAP!
Old 01-20-2015, 12:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by FinanceMike
Dave,

I had two SC pulleys let go on me. No major damage as I caught it before they popped off. First one had bad bearings and the second was grinding something creating a dust around the shims/magnet.

I threw the stock one back on and never had another issue during the time I owned it.
That's horrible.
Originally Posted by Hulk
I had a few break but they were the old versions and also got some damage. The new revision has been good for a while now.
Why do you continue to purchase/use pulleys when they continue to fail? I only see this from MB owners.
Originally Posted by urbamworm
I can't remember exactly what the differences were, but I remember a while back after a lot of them started failing there was something brought up about a "revised" version which I am pretty sure after looking at mine it was found to be the newer "revised" edition. I can take another pic directly from the front if someone wants.

Thanks for the offer, I already purchased a used oil filer housing off ebay for $150, the only one I could find btw after checking with local parts stores, onlline parts places like rock auto, car-part, amazon and ebay. A new thermostat housing (comes with thermostat in it) purchased of ebay for $88 and I haven't found the rubber hose yet since I am not sure what it is called.

And to all the other people out there, I believe I am correct in saying this that a forum member/vendor had a company local to them in Texas called ASP make these pullies and then sold them themselves and had other bigger name reputable businesses like Eurocharged sell them. I am not pointing fingers, just putting it back to stock pullies and moving along. I care more about about reliability than speed in this car since it is my daily driver and like I mentioned earlier, I have a CTS-V that had 850whp and now will be getting over 1000 when I get it back in a few weeks. So that is my play toy, and the E55 is still plenty fast with the headers, 78mm throttle body, cooling mods and stock pullies. Just need to get my tune adjusted.

Oh and the pulley broke with me accelerating and I would say I was at about 60-70mph. I had pulled out of my neighborhood on to a main road and took off for a quick little blast.
Get a pic up. If it's the revised edition maybe you didn't get the newest revised edition (what people will say)

Glad you're getting it sorted. Can't wait to see your V up and running. Gonna be a MONSTER!
Originally Posted by Pufftrees
Wow, thats the third one in 2 weeks (mine included!).

My SC pulley snapped and blew through the top just like yours, almost same looking picture. The only damage to the engine was the breather hose and idler pulley.

Can't believe 3 people all had pulleys snap so close, everyone check your pulleys damn.

I ended up ordering a full new set of idler pulleys, sc pulley, and belt wrap kit and now its all kosher...

Good luck man, sorry to hear.
3 people posted... imagine how many you don't hear about. They obviously try to keep these things off the boards.

Wait... he sells you a faulty pulley that causes damage and you go back and buy the same pulley and more parts from the guy? Wow!
Originally Posted by 02C32guy
This really stinks. I wanted to go the SC pulley route, but I'm going to wait until this is sorted out for good.
How would you know? They just keep coming out with "revised" pulleys that last longer. Then if those fail they will have another revised pulley etc etc.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55 AMG | Buell Lightning XB12
Hey UW, you've probably already spotted this, but there might be some parts in here to help you out. GL...

https://mbworld.org/forums/parting-o...-part-out.html
Old 01-20-2015, 12:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by berti_00
there have been many revisions not sure whos getting what...
BINGO! This just keeps people buying pulleys. How can you trust it's going to work? I guess something can only fail for so long after continuous revisions. Thanks MBW for funding the R&D lol
Old 01-20-2015, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
I forgot to mention, unless things have changed, I saw people talking about wanting to buy the "solid" pulley instead to not have a problem. Well I personally watched a car try to get tuned right for about an hour by a real reputable tuner here and it left still jacked up, a tuning day where the tuner was present and couldn't get those solid pullies to work right.

I don't think those pullies work right, the owner experienced different issues and the car wouldn't make power. It actually made like 30whp less power than another car with less mods, tuner gave up and said if you swap that "solid" pulley to a normal style you will instantly see a significant power increase so I am not so sure I would go jumping on that bandwagon either, unless like I said, things have changed. This was like 1.5 years ago. I haven't been as involved in the Benz forum so I am sure I have missed a lot.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BROKEN SUPERCHARGER PULLEY DESTROYED my car!!!!-pulleydamage_zpsfd8c4cb9.jpg

BROKEN SUPERCHARGER PULLEY DESTROYED my car!!!!-pulleydamage2_zpsa67cbe45.jpg
Old 01-20-2015, 03:30 PM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
04 e55
the hose for the secondary airpump mentioned above may be omitted I believe if you disable the 2ndary pump... my understanding is that this pump can be disabled and does not create any problems -- I am not sure how (or if) you need to pug the inlet/outlet if you choose to go that route -- others who have done this may want to add details if needed,,,
Old 01-20-2015, 03:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Why is said vendor (I got my post deleted because I mentioned a name ) not comment in here but posts in other threads and is constantly PMing people who don't even ask to buy anything?
Old 01-20-2015, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
Yes you can disable the sec air pump via star and not worry about it
Old 01-20-2015, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Why is said vendor (I got my post deleted because I mentioned a name ) not comment in here but posts in other threads and is constantly PMing people who don't even ask to buy anything?
Because you've most likely moved from just making a comment to trolling the thread and trying to slander as much as you can. We get it. You don't like him. Move on.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
What brand of pulley is this? I am just curious.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I honestly don't even remember if there is a "name." It is the only pulley available that I know of for the supercharger besides the "solid" pulley that is clutchless sold by the same people and from what I saw in the past never worked right so this was really the only option to go with successfully until it decides to break. The member "Shardul" and I think maybe another member which I forget who he is had their little side "company" selling stuff on here. Think they called themselves "UPD" but could be wrong. I think they had another name when they made crank pullies that started failing a lot and abandoned that pulley and company name when they started doing the supercharger pulley and the belt wrap kit under this other name. I know Eurocharged sold the pulley for them along with them selling it on here themselves, I don't know if there are any other vendors that sell the pulley too.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
Sorry about your damage. At this point the only pulley I will put on my car or even consider is the ASP crank pulley. They seem to have a very strong record in a high failure area.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 cls 55 amg
BROKEN SUPERCHARGER PULLEY DESTROYED my car!!!!-pulleydamage_zpsfd8c4cb9.jpg

[/QUOTE]

by the size of the rivets,,,and the color of the bearing ...it looks like a revised revised revised pulley
Old 01-20-2015, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Gallado Spyder / AMG C63S / Cayenne
oh man... hate when that kinda stuff happen... I wish you a smooth and not too expensive recovery
Old 01-20-2015, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
Doesn't look like the revised version, revised version springs are thicker, or maybe it's the angle
Old 01-21-2015, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
That sucks! GL hope the recovery time is quick and painless.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 228 Likes on 172 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Wow, that really sucks.

Sorry to hear about this pulley failure. I had one fail on my SL55 (oddly, mine was an OEM pulley with less than 60K on it) and it was just luck I suppose that I saw the pulley "bobbing" (as a broken "dog bone" let it shift off-center as the SC input shaft was spinning .... causing it to "bob") and I was able to shut it down and put on a temporary replacement before it went catastrophic (I then rebuilt my original pulley, turning it down to 87mm and using slightly beefier "dog bones" ... and it ended up 1/3 pound lighter)

On the topic of exploding SuperCharger Pulleys ... this also happens with the pulley on the SLK32, C32, and SRT-6. Primarily the smaller aftermarket SC pulleys, but also on OEM pulleys.

Having an Aftermarket pulley on one of my SLK32s I was concerned especially after the same pulley that I have (a "Karmen", not from Shardul) grenaded (on an SRT-6) not only damaging surrounding engine components, but also denting the hood!

So ... I created a Stainless Steel scattershield for my SLK32 and there was interest for more so I made a run of them.

Below are a few pics and a link to the install video for anyone interested in seeing this solution for the V6 Kompressor motor.

I have been asked about doing one for the E55/SL55 ... and it is on my to-do list. (particularly since I have had one fail on my own SL55)

Again, really sorry to hear about this undeserved headache (and pain in the wallet).

Better luck going forward,
Chris
Attached Thumbnails BROKEN SUPERCHARGER PULLEY DESTROYED my car!!!!-33544d1415910770-scatter-shield-supercharger-pulley-newhardware-1-.jpg   BROKEN SUPERCHARGER PULLEY DESTROYED my car!!!!-33488d1415161821-scatter-shield-supercharger-pulley-20141104_185151-1-.jpg   BROKEN SUPERCHARGER PULLEY DESTROYED my car!!!!-33489d1415161865-scatter-shield-supercharger-pulley-20141104_184525-1-.jpg   BROKEN SUPERCHARGER PULLEY DESTROYED my car!!!!-33491d1415161943-scatter-shield-supercharger-pulley-20141104_184341-1-.jpg   BROKEN SUPERCHARGER PULLEY DESTROYED my car!!!!-33487d1415161772-scatter-shield-supercharger-pulley-20141104_185341-1-.jpg  

Old 01-21-2015, 02:24 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
If I knew the failure was this common I would have never purchased a pulley when I had my C32. Nice shield, definitely worth the investment.

I do find it very amusing that this is so common that anyone could even conceive making a blast shield. Maybe the vendors could bundle them together. Here is your new pulley, here is the 4mm stainless blast shield to save you engine when the pulley explodes sending shrapnel everywhere.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
Whoever is making these should be told, and they should be revising with a new pulley
we should be told exactly where they are coming from and what they are going to do for us
I have one of these pulleys and if mine goes I wouldn't be soo nice and Id be blasting the seller and demand immediate public action
Old 01-21-2015, 10:40 AM
lm7

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2003 E55
The problem is we have no real alternatives. You either leave it stock or you deal with the same hand full of vendors.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
Originally Posted by lm7
The problem is we have no real alternatives. You either leave it stock or you deal with the same hand full of vendors.

f___'em they should know not sell junk
Old 01-21-2015, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by lm7
That is why I am leaving my pulley setup 100% stock. A nice tune, BWK, heat exchanger and a full exhaust setup will make the E55 plenty fast. I can't even use the power I am making now in Atlanta traffic.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by FinanceMike
Dave,

I had two SC pulleys let go on me. No major damage as I caught it before they popped off. First one had bad bearings and the second was grinding something creating a dust around the shims/magnet.

I threw the stock one back on and never had another issue during the time I owned it.
Originally Posted by Hulk
I had a few break but they were the old versions and also got some damage. The new revision has been good for a while now.
Originally Posted by Pufftrees
Wow, thats the third one in 2 weeks (mine included!).

My SC pulley snapped and blew through the top just like yours, almost same looking picture. The only damage to the engine was the breather hose and idler pulley.

Can't believe 3 people all had pulleys snap so close, everyone check your pulleys damn.

I ended up ordering a full new set of idler pulleys, sc pulley, and belt wrap kit and now its all kosher...

Good luck man, sorry to hear.
Where did you guys get your failed pulleys from?

Originally Posted by HeissRod
Because you've most likely moved from just making a comment to trolling the thread and trying to slander as much as you can. We get it. You don't like him. Move on.
I understand he is your friend. I am only trying to prevent faulty products being sold to members. This is happening over and over again and when they do fail he offers to sell them another pulley! Whether I like him or not doesn't change the facts.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55
It seems like every other day I see a new post about the clutched 83/84mm pulley exploding or failing. However, I have not seen anything bad posted about the clutchless pulleys.

Have any of the clutchless pulleys self-destructed or are they pretty bulletproof when compared to the frail clutched design?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BROKEN SUPERCHARGER PULLEY DESTROYED my car!!!!