W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BROKEN SUPERCHARGER PULLEY DESTROYED my car!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by FastAMG
It seems like every other day I see a new post about the clutched 83/84mm pulley exploding or failing. However, I have not seen anything bad posted about the clutchless pulleys.

Have any of the clutchless pulleys self-destructed or are they pretty bulletproof when compared to the frail clutched design?
You won't see any failure on the FSP due to no clutch, springs, rivets, etc. What you will see is more stress and heat pumped into the actual supercharger unit. These pulleys haven't really been tested for long periods of time. The long term effect hasn't been seen with FSP. If your worried about failures or reliability, stick with OEM.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
Originally Posted by 2000UZJ
That is why I am leaving my pulley setup 100% stock. A nice tune, BWK, heat exchanger and a full exhaust setup will make the E55 plenty fast. I can't even use the power I am making now in Atlanta traffic.
And don't forget a throttle body. Fabtech has their 82mm for 1699. I have seen 80 mm for 900 on sales section. The 82 mm is suppose to be worth 35hp.

I'm waiting to see what some of the new crank pulleys do. There are some major names making some. The supercharger pulley sucked everyone in because it was less than half the cost. Imo it's not even an option in the future.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
Originally Posted by 2000UZJ
You won't see any failure on the FSP due to no clutch, springs, rivets, etc. What you will see is more stress and heat pumped into the actual supercharger unit. These pulleys haven't really been tested for long periods of time. The long term effect hasn't been seen with FSP. If your worried about failures or reliability, stick with OEM.
I agree. The stress on the engine all the time will take its toll. Not worth it and was not made to take it. Also tuning problems is a major complaint
Old 01-21-2015, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
Bulletproof and modding this car are 2 words to never put together lol.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by latemodel21
Wow, that really sucks. Sorry to hear about this pulley failure. I had one fail on my SL55 (oddly, mine was an OEM pulley with less than 60K on it) and it was just luck I suppose that I saw the pulley "bobbing" (as a broken "dog bone" let it shift off-center as the SC input shaft was spinning .... causing it to "bob") and I was able to shut it down and put on a temporary replacement before it went catastrophic (I then rebuilt my original pulley, turning it down to 87mm and using slightly beefier "dog bones" ... and it ended up 1/3 pound lighter) On the topic of exploding SuperCharger Pulleys ... this also happens with the pulley on the SLK32, C32, and SRT-6. Primarily the smaller aftermarket SC pulleys, but also on OEM pulleys. Having an Aftermarket pulley on one of my SLK32s I was concerned especially after the same pulley that I have (a "Karmen", not from Shardul) grenaded (on an SRT-6) not only damaging surrounding engine components, but also denting the hood! So ... I created a Stainless Steel scattershield for my SLK32 and there was interest for more so I made a run of them. Below are a few pics and a link to the install video for anyone interested in seeing this solution for the V6 Kompressor motor. Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20U08ML58pk I have been asked about doing one for the E55/SL55 ... and it is on my to-do list. (particularly since I have had one fail on my own SL55) Again, really sorry to hear about this undeserved headache (and pain in the wallet). Better luck going forward, Chris
Please do pursue the shield for the 55! Would buy one without doubt.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
I understand he is your friend.
This has no bearing on the conversation. I'd say the same thing if I knew him or not.

I am only trying to prevent faulty products being sold to members. This is happening over and over again and when they do fail he offers to sell them another pulley! Whether I like him or not doesn't change the facts.
I understand this. However, you seem to go above and beyond this by posting constantly, in any thread you can, trying to incite an argument with the guy and it gets old. That was my point in posting.

Your dislike for him is very apparent and makes your posting about it that much less effective. You come across as someone with a bone to pick with him, not someone trying to "protect the community".

You want to voice a complaint about his product if the subject comes up? Great, do it, then leave it at that. Quit trying to flame-bait the thread with the passive-aggressive crap. That's all I'm saying.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
I'm really sorry to see this happen to you. I tried to warn you guys and tell you all that you are the guinea pigs if you buy his products. People just wanted to label me as a hater with an agenda. And he would have my posts deleted and tell the moderators to give me bans/warnings. Well unfortunately you aren't the first victim, nor the 2nd or 3rd. Let me guess. He offered to send you a replacement pulley

Let me know what parts you need and I can look and see if I have it. Free of course. I'm not trying to take advantage of forum members like some.

They all come from the same place.

Its a different manufacturer.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 376 Likes on 321 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
Originally Posted by bierry
Latemodel21 put the bug in my head again to make my own shield. I contacted him needing one in a hurry but they will not be done for a little while. So within 1 hour I had one built and installed and it looks mint. Home Depot steel strip, bend and mold it around the large end of the pulley, weld her up with some tricky little brackets paint it and done....no more worry's, looks great. Latemodel yours are much nicer!!!!!!! Sorry you didn't have any!!

Last edited by SICAMG; 01-21-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
David, who exactly did you buy the blower pulley from?
Old 01-21-2015, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 228 Likes on 172 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by bierry

Originally Posted by SICAMG
Latemodel21 put the bug in my head again to make my own shield. I contacted him needing one in a hurry but they will not be done for a little while. So within 1 hour I had one built and installed and it looks mint. Home Depot steel strip, bend and mold it around the large end of the pulley, weld her up with some tricky little brackets paint it and done....no more worry's, looks great. Latemodel yours are much nicer!!!!!!! Sorry you didn't have any!!

I looked at my SL55 for awhile this afternoon and put the final touches on a clean design that I can proto in a few days and have some extras available in as little as 4 weeks. I realize in your case, Gary, that was not soon enough, but I hope that it will be soon enough for some. A Scattershield that will fit on engines both with and without the BWK made of Stainless Steel that is thick enough to keep the dogs (dog bones) at bay. I expect they will be available for about the same price as the V6 scattershield I made (a tick under $100).

I normally sell items that I manufacture through forum sponsors (The AMG Paddle Converter Module that I manufacture being a good example), however, I will make a few "extras" of this 55 Scattershield and see if I can make these available directly for a short time without upsetting the powers that be (that I have come to admire and respect : )

Cheers,
Chris
Old 01-21-2015, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by SICAMG
Any pictures? Interested in seeing how it turned out. Always looking to add more garbage to my engine bay and things to build!
Old 01-21-2015, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
So hold on a minute, this catastrophic failure is for the CLUTCHED aftermarket supercharger pulleys, not the CLUTCHLESS ones right? So apart from the tuning problems and the increased stress, the clutchless ones don't disintegrate catastrophically?
Old 01-22-2015, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Originally Posted by e500slr
So hold on a minute, this catastrophic failure is for the CLUTCHED aftermarket supercharger pulleys, not the CLUTCHLESS ones right? So apart from the tuning problems and the increased stress, the clutchless ones don't disintegrate catastrophically?
Correct
Old 01-22-2015, 05:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Originally Posted by HeissRod
Correct
Thanks for the clarification
Old 01-22-2015, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
David, who exactly did you buy the blower pulley from?
I didn't buy it, my car had a "Eurocharged" 2 piece (not the stock damper with a ring welded with the holes in it) 180 crank pulley on it when I bought the car which I believe are made by ASP just like a lot of these other pullies (the "Shardul" belt wrap kit and accessory pullies, the solid supercharger pulley, the smaller clutched supercharger pulley, etc. So I didn't even buy that pulley from Eurocharged due to it being on the car when I got it.

That crank pulley was on for thousands of miles (10,000+) and then it came loose and fell off sheering the key way. I posted up that my pulley had fell off and all that good stuff and Eurocharged saw what had happened and contacted me asking if they could help in any way. I told them I was going to put the stock pulley back on and maybe buy a supercharger pulley. At that point they told me they would overnight ship me a supercharger pulley for free and adjust my tune to get me back up and running and not down on much power.

I was not expecting that at all, obviously because I didn't even buy it from them. I told them to let me at least pay for the shipping and I just had it 2nd day air sent to me. Got it on and tune leaned out and went on my way. I have ran it for thousands of miles (10k maybe) until now.

When I made this thread I just wanted people to be aware what could happen and to share my story, I don't want anything from anyone or to really bash anyone. It sucks I had to now spend a few hundred dollars on replacement parts and tear my car apart which now I am without until the parts come in, but not a huge deal. Few more days and then hopefully I can get it back together and driving again using stock crank and supercharger pulley. I have a friend that I have ran a bunch of time too with a 335i so I will run him and see exactly what I may or may not have lost going back to stock pullies once I get the tune corrected since I am sure it will be rich now and I think it was already a little too rich to begin with.

Last edited by urbamworm; 01-22-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
Originally Posted by Pufftrees
Wow, thats the third one in 2 weeks (mine included!).

My SC pulley snapped and blew through the top just like yours, almost same looking picture. The only damage to the engine was the breather hose and idler pulley.

Can't believe 3 people all had pulleys snap so close, everyone check your pulleys damn.

I ended up ordering a full new set of idler pulleys, sc pulley, and belt wrap kit and now its all kosher...

Good luck man, sorry to hear.

Pulley was from EC, I just checked. That indian supplies good parts.

Last edited by djrabbi; 01-22-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Eurocharged people are not Indian Unless you are saying that the pulley was from Eurocharged and not the same as from Shardul who is Indian and that his pullies are better? But that wouldn't be right either because the pulley Eurocharged sells is the one that Shardul and his side kick (whatever the hell that guy's name was on here) had made and started selling themselves before branching out to have Eurocharged and I think one or two other vendors sell as well.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
I bought my pulley originally from EC when they first came out in 2012. I am saying as a replacement that indian supplies good parts, didn't say better. At the end of the day, they all the same exact part just "labeled" differently. Everyone should check if their bearings are good bad on these pullies to prevent more damage like you did David
Old 01-22-2015, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC63s, W222 S63, W223 S580
I just read this entire thread.. David i'm sorry to hear about the damage, its never a good feeling when stuff like that happens. Unfortunately some of these pulleys are made over seas. Happy to hear you have a great vendor helping you..
Old 01-22-2015, 09:57 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 CLS55 & 2002 SL55 (R129) Silver Arrow
Sorry to hear about your damages. I've had 2 clutched supercharger pulleys break on me in less than 2 years. Fortunately nothing else was damaged because I was lucky enough to catch it in time.
I'm on my 3rd SC pulley now, if this one gives out I'm going back to my stock and calling it a day.

It's a real let down if you ask me. Is it that hard to make a reliable pulley that wont shred in less than a year?!? I wouldn't think its that difficult being we all know the problem lies in the clutch's spring. Why doesn't the manufacturer just put some stronger than OEM springs on it and satisfy all their customers? You think it would have been done already, right?
Old 01-23-2015, 05:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Originally Posted by Tech-Tune
Sorry to hear about your damages. I've had 2 clutched supercharger pulleys break on me in less than 2 years. Fortunately nothing else was damaged because I was lucky enough to catch it in time.
I'm on my 3rd SC pulley now, if this one gives out I'm going back to my stock and calling it a day.

It's a real let down if you ask me. Is it that hard to make a reliable pulley that wont shred in less than a year?!? I wouldn't think its that difficult being we all know the problem lies in the clutch's spring. Why doesn't the manufacturer just put some stronger than OEM springs on it and satisfy all their customers? You think it would have been done already, right?
Springs are tricky. Too strong and the clutch will slip, too hard they crack, and too soft they bend.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS55
I bought my sc pulleys through Eurocharged. They are just a distributor. I do not hold them at fault in any way for the product. They went above and beyond to replace the pulleys as they broke.

David,
When I took my sc pulley off and ran just headers and a tune, my 1/4 mile times dropped 2 tenths. I believe this is because I did not have adequate cooling for the upper pulley.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by FinanceMike
I bought my sc pulleys through Eurocharged. They are just a distributor. I do not hold them at fault in any way for the product. They went above and beyond to replace the pulleys as they broke.

David,
When I took my sc pulley off and ran just headers and a tune, my 1/4 mile times dropped 2 tenths. I believe this is because I did not have adequate cooling for the upper pulley.

Yeah, like I said in the past Eurocharged helped me out when they didn't need to and definitely wouldn't blame this on them since as you said they are just a distributor of the part and in my case they gave me the part in the first place.

I actually drove the car with stock pullies after I had the crank pulley come off during the short period before getting the supercharger pulley and it honestly felt faster on stock pullies. The car just accelerated hard from a low speed all the way up to say 100 where with the pulley I am just sitting there having traction control intervention all the way to 70 or 80mph cutting power. I don't think I will be to disappointed if at all going back to stock pullies and will put it to the true test on the streets for comparison. Headers my slightly larger throttle body and cooling mods will be good enough.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:44 AM

E55 AMG | Buell Lightning XB12
I say this knowing I'll be a minority among those of you who have modded well beyond where my car sits at present... However, my history in tuning and modding tells me quite readily that more PSI does not always equate to a faster car (elementary knowledge, yes).

Flow and IAT make for a much faster car, and less a dyno queen.

Given my experience with the M112K, I can say that for a brief second, the added boost felt like one hell of a kick in the pants, until the heat caught up. So on the big end, lower boost wins.

When considering an over-driven pulley, I'd opt for better stock cooling and V.E. for anything longer than an 1/8 (when discussing a stock blower).

So if nothing else, this thread has bolstered my decision to mod for my stock blower, until I'm ready to pull trigger on Weistec.

Last edited by Rob CL; 01-24-2015 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
I had a 180CP and on the highway it was a total monster. I find the stock pulley much faster on the streets since I can leave it in 2nd gear and hammer it. No traction unless I really jam the pedal down. Rolling into the throttle with stock pullleys and full cooling mods really is a blast. I don't even have to worry about going lean either!

That being said, from 80MPH+ the stock pulleys couldn't touch the 180MM. However you're entering jail and loosing your license speeds.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BROKEN SUPERCHARGER PULLEY DESTROYED my car!!!!