Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why don't more people swap the airmatic for coilovers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E500 -03
Because it´s a luxury sedan, not a Honda Civic and because i like to keep it stock. Had two W211 with Airmatic and none has failed me. Arnott replacement struts are cheap and reliable.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 768 Likes on 747 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
loving it and not going back...
Old 03-09-2015, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
The coilovers are hands down better....but they're not adjustable on the fly. The Airmatic is something you get used to having and it's not easy to let go.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 E55
arnott front struts suck, the rear bags are cool but you lose the additional volume block and suffer a loss of performance when using the sport 1/2 modes. they definitely handicap the car vs the oem stuff if youre staying air, but what do you expect for the price, its a good medium for those who dont care or notice. regardless, for a daily commuter ill take the airmatic, i love on the fly adjustments for entering driveways or going over speed bumps that the city thought was cool to mirror mt everest.

oem fronts, arnott rear bags, oem shocks for me. id use oem rear bags too if i didnt have to lower the subframe. just not worth it for me.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Originally Posted by 210lvr
arnott front struts suck
Why?
Old 03-09-2015, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts
2006 E55, Various other German and ‘Murican
Originally Posted by e500slr
The coilovers are hands down better....but they're not adjustable on the fly. The Airmatic is something you get used to having and it's not easy to let go.
Originally Posted by 210lvr
arnott front struts suck, the rear bags are cool but you lose the additional volume block and suffer a loss of performance when using the sport 1/2 modes. they definitely handicap the car vs the oem stuff if youre staying air, but what do you expect for the price, its a good medium for those who dont care or notice. regardless, for a daily commuter ill take the airmatic, i love on the fly adjustments for entering driveways or going over speed bumps that the city thought was cool to mirror mt everest.

oem fronts, arnott rear bags, oem shocks for me. id use oem rear bags too if i didnt have to lower the subframe. just not worth it for me.

The raising and adjustability thing is just for the cholos who need to ride it low. This does NOT improve handling (on a stock hard-part suspension), it does NOT improve stability, and it looks more stupid the lower you go. There is a reason most "Sport" suspensions for German cars have TOPS 20-24mm of ride height reduction when you check the option box. More than that and you are affecting total geometry.

But that's my opinion. People can do as they wish to their own car.

Coilovers seem to GREATLY improve the near-stock-rideheight handling of these cars.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Originally Posted by BC928
The raising and adjustability thing is just for the cholos who need to ride it low. This does NOT improve handling (on a stock hard-part suspension), it does NOT improve stability, and it looks more stupid the lower you go. There is a reason most "Sport" suspensions for German cars have TOPS 20-24mm of ride height reduction when you check the option box. More than that and you are affecting total geometry.

But that's my opinion. People can do as they wish to their own car.

Coilovers seem to GREATLY improve the near-stock-rideheight handling of these cars.
So you're saying that the car is just as stable on Comfort as it is on Sport 2? Have you driven fast in Comfort, it does not inspire confidence.

I agree on lowering the car though, I hate slammed cars, they look ridiculous. There's a limit to lowering and then it just becomes UGLY.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:34 PM

E500 -03
So you're saying that the car is just as stable on Comfort as it is on Sport 2? Have you driven fast in Comfort, it does not inspire confidence.

I agree on lowering the car though, I hate slammed cars, they look ridiculous. There's a limit to lowering and then it just becomes UGLY.
It´s a semi active dampening system which means that it adapts to your driving at the moment, which ever setting you´ve chosen.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The car is less stable because of the air valving, not because of the height.

Originally Posted by Zed82
It´s a semi active dampening system which means that it adapts to your driving at the moment, which ever setting you´ve chosen.
Uh - I would be cautious with such a bold statement.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:38 PM

E500 -03

http://techcenter.mercedes-benz.com/...dc/detail.html

Whether you prefer a sporty or comfortable ride, the electronically controlled semi-active AIRMATIC air suspension with ADS II adaptive dampening system operates fully automatically. The electronics system adjusts the air springs, making them harder or softer to suit the situation. If, for example, the sensors register a sporty driving style, the comfortable base suspension is automatically stiffened. The suspension and damping system can also be manually adjusted to sporty/comfortable at the flip of a switch.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
You make it sound as if we're in a courtroom.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:15 PM

C32, C55, 08 E63
Originally Posted by Zed82
Whether you prefer a sporty or comfortable ride, the electronically controlled semi-active AIRMATIC air suspension with ADS II adaptive dampening system operates fully automatically. The electronics system adjusts the air springs, making them harder or softer to suit the situation. If, for example, the sensors register a sporty driving style, the comfortable base suspension is automatically stiffened. The suspension and damping system can also be manually adjusted to sporty/comfortable at the flip of a switch.]
This would explain why I dont feel a difference between the 3 settings.....

If my car wasnt under warranty I would of already thrown out my air for coils.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC63s, W222 S63, W223 S580
I've had my coilovers for about 2 years now and I will never go back to airmatic, the car feels so much smoother and tighter on the road and a lot more stable at higher speeds. I do miss the raise your car future but it was a sacrifice I was willing to make and I didn't use it much anyways.

Why don't more people swap the airmatic for coilovers-bsgfkco.jpg

Why don't more people swap the airmatic for coilovers-ercvpkd.jpg
Old 03-10-2015, 02:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honda Metropolitan
Originally Posted by aghakauve
I've had my coilovers for about 2 years now and I will never go back to airmatic, the car feels so much smoother and tighter on the road and a lot more stable at higher speeds. I do miss the raise your car future but it was a sacrifice I was willing to make and I didn't use it much anyways.

Nice stance, thats how my car is set up right now. What brand did you go with?
Old 03-10-2015, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC63s, W222 S63, W223 S580
Originally Posted by Duc1098E500
Nice stance, thats how my car is set up right now. What brand did you go with?
I went with D2 Coilovers.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Originally Posted by aghakauve
I went with D2 Coilovers.
Are the D2s good because they're much cheaper than the KWs. KW obviously has a better reputation and is a very high quality brand but is there honestly a difference?
Old 03-11-2015, 02:04 AM

Honda Metropolitan
Are the D2s good because they're much cheaper than the KWs. KW obviously has a better reputation and is a very high quality brand but is there honestly a difference?
In currently using bc coilovers for over 3 years now and still adjusting fine and hold up to the scrappy cobble stones of Italy.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:27 AM

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
E63s s213 2019 ,SOLD E63 Weistec, E55, C36
As others have said the main reason for NOT going coilovers is the ability to raise when you need it, I would have been stuck on many occasions without this.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
Yup, that's why I am sticking with my airmatic. I didn't like replacing them with Arnotts bc of the price but I do enjoy its features. I will never go to coil overs unless somehow down the road they become adjustable on the fly.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
I'm not arguing, but I just find it interesting that so many people keep the airmatic for the ability to raise the car on command. I have had over 20 cars/trucks/motorcycles with several of them being lowered and never thought "if only I could raise the car on demand". I kind of get it, but I guess for me its not a function that I really cared about.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:09 PM

Honda Metropolitan
If one had lowered their car while still on airmatics then having the raise option helps. However, in stock height there is plenty of clearance. However, those with steep driveways or often times I find myself in under ground parking garages that prevents vehicles lower than stock very difficult to get out of. Clearly it is something you need to think about and if having a coilover outweight airmatic due to your needs then definitely do it or vise versa. You decide.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by A-A-Ron
I'm not arguing, but I just find it interesting that so many people keep the airmatic for the ability to raise the car on command. I have had over 20 cars/trucks/motorcycles with several of them being lowered and never thought "if only I could raise the car on demand". I kind of get it, but I guess for me its not a function that I really cared about.
It's either because the cholos are lowering them to the point of them being useless on the roads, as I said, or that they have a knack for repeating what others have said.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jcjmw
Yup, that's why I am sticking with my airmatic. I didn't like replacing them with Arnotts bc of the price but I do enjoy its features. I will never go to coil overs unless somehow down the road they become adjustable on the fly.
To each thier own. But it's simply not adjusting ad much as some people are inferring. It's nothing like the current oem stuff. It was an early version and simply does not work well. I have driven several e55s during my search. It either does little at all, or goes from somewhat jiggly to super jiggly. It's a placebo for most - they push the button and think it's acting very differently. After asking the owners of the cars I was looking at "what's that noise" and getting the answer "I don't hear anything" - the slight difference in ride is simply not that big of a deal.

Raising it for a hill? How low is the car?
Old 03-11-2015, 05:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
05 E55, 06 Audi S4
To each thier own. But it's simply not adjusting ad much as some people are inferring. It's nothing like the current oem stuff. It was an early version and simply does not work well. I have driven several e55s during my search. It either does little at all, or goes from somewhat jiggly to super jiggly. It's a placebo for most - they push the button and think it's acting very differently. After asking the owners of the cars I was looking at "what's that noise" and getting the answer "I don't hear anything" - the slight difference in ride is simply not that big of a deal.

Raising it for a hill? How low is the car?
I've had coilovers on a bunch of previous cars, there nice except they can over stiffen the ride over any OEM setup, I prefer the smooth airmatic. Like many others stated these 4200lb cars weren't exactly designed for great handling 😕. I feel like the air gives it a nice luxury feel. And the adjustability of never having to worry about scraping the front bumper again being lowered the raised on the fly is just awesome.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stg 3 Audi A4 and Stg1 Saab93 Turbo
Anyone from the Bay Area, NorCal that has done this? can you recommend a shop

- Sorry OP for using your thread

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why don't more people swap the airmatic for coilovers