W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone welded the slip fit connections on EC long tube headers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 01:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Land Cruiser, LC200
Has anyone welded the slip fit connections on EC long tube headers?

Fighting a losing battle with an exhaust leak and was wondering if anyone has welded them up. They would have to come out to weld them and I'm not even sure they would even fit back in if they were welded together or not, assuming they wouldn't fit because why else would they make them slip fit.... thought I'd ask anyway. Any other ideas?
Old 04-11-2015, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Mercedes
Slip fit is much cheaper to ship, because it fits into smaller box. Plus less welding work, and lower physical geometry tolerances can be allowed.

bolt the headers up and try physically fitting them in - or try taking out already installed, but gotta keep individual pipes from moving out of place.

I'm sure there exists a way to get them installed after welded up.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 E55 amg
Any sound or video clip of your leak. Mine was leaking too until i found out that one of the pipe wasn't tightened down enough to the engine block. No more leak for me now.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:09 PM

Land Cruiser, LC200
No sound clips but I can get under there while it's running and feel it, as well as see the soot from the exhaust. I have the collectors off again and can see that one of the four pipes on one side sits back about a quarter of an inch where I'd think it should be flush with the others. I can only guess it's not bottoming out in the collector where it tapers down like the other three, not sure what I can do about that. It doesn't look or feel like I could get them in and out if I had them welded, looking at pics of MBH(non-slip fit) headers online, they seem quite a bit more compact up top. I'll stick'em back in next week and try to pretend it's not there again. It's not horrible, my friends don't notice it but I know it's there, laughing at me hysterically. Those b@stards.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Can you cut that one pipe in a straight section and add a 1/4"?
Old 04-12-2015, 12:55 PM

Land Cruiser, LC200
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist
Can you cut that one pipe in a straight section and add a 1/4"?
I thought about it, but that would take a little more equipment and stainless welding skills that I lack to get it perfect. Then I'd be worried about making it worse. I've read some good reviews about this stuff on other forums:
Amazon.com: Permatex 80335 Muffler and Tailpipe Sealer, 3 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Permatex 80335 Muffler and Tailpipe Sealer, 3 oz.: Automotive

There's really not much of a gap to fill. People claim it holds where regular high temp rtv just burns off and blows out. I'll put a little around the tubes when I put it back together and see if it lasts. I'll post back later after I get her back together and get some miles on it.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:31 PM

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
2016 S63, 2013 SL63
Do these headers have a spring holding them together?
Old 04-12-2015, 04:57 PM

Land Cruiser, LC200
Originally Posted by compaddict
Do these headers have a spring holding them together?
Nope, two bolts per side
Old 04-13-2015, 05:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
That stuff is brittle but it can take the heat. mix it with fiberglass to keep it together. Make a paste with insulation or wet out a strip of cloth and wrap.
How about brazing it in place, then just heat to remove. Not sure how hot a collector gets in use.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Jetta TDI [Daily] , Audi A8L [Sold], '12 STI [Sold], '06 E55 [Sold], '05 S500, '15 GLA250
My STI had slip-fit headers as well...

Do they leak when HOT? Cause, the premise is that they'll expand once at temperature and seal appropriately.

I tried (as have other people that I've spoken to) to use all sorts of pastes, gaskets fillers, etc... none of which help up for very long.

What I should have done from the beginning was spot weld them in a several spots, drop them from the car, and then give them a proper weld.

Again, not on an E55. But my experience with slip-fit joints.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:15 PM

Land Cruiser, LC200
Adding fiberglass is an interesting idea,maybe some exhaust wrap strands will do...

Yes, they leak when hot, just a little less..... I too have tried almost every type of paste and rtv out there.... haven't tried the latest one above though, i have high hopes. I did also find a small hole in my h pipe from when i had it done, hopefully i was hearing that too.... ill have her back together by the weekend.