Sponsored by:

Fuel pump and filter assembly replacements

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 06:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
04 E55
Originally Posted by Mackhack
There are 6 or so individual lines to select pictures per post on the attachment window. If only one attachment meets the requirements for files to be uploaded the software will automatically take the other attachments off the list and let's you only upload the one that is within specs.
I thought so. I select multiple images, but only the bottom one will load up at any one time. Its just being a bugger.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:20 AM

04 E55
This has turned into a massive pain in my ****. New fuel pumps arrived, finally. However the new pumps require the black large 90* fuel line connectors from the filter and connect over the mount rather than inside it. The problem is, is that this fuel filter has the second electrical connection which my car doesn't have. This style is as seen in bbirdwells post #37.

The fuel filter and lines I have are small white 90* connectors and sit inside the mount.

So the question I have, is are there any retro fitting parts that will allow these pumps and filters to work together? Cause this is really grinding my gears.

They don't make the older style fuel pumps that take my old style mounts any more, so pretty much boned!

The local merc dealership has quoted me the same numbers as I ordered so I'm pretty sure I'm out of luck... They quoted me $4096!

Last edited by sexyxe; 08-11-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:11 AM
Banned

Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts
They do have the "older style" assemblies. Your parts guy most likely ordered the wrong one. There is no retrofit harness to make it work. 2 completely different systems.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
'06 E55
Originally Posted by sexyxe
This has turned into a massive pain in my ****. New fuel pumps arrived, finally. However the new pumps require the black large 90* fuel line connectors from the filter and connect over the mount rather than inside it. The problem is, is that this fuel filter has the second electrical connection which my car doesn't have. This style is as seen in bbirdwells post #37.

The fuel filter and lines I have are small white 90* connectors and sit inside the mount.

So the question I have, is are there any retro fitting parts that will allow these pumps and filters to work together? Cause this is really grinding my gears.

They don't make the older style fuel pumps that take my old style mounts any more, so pretty much boned!

The local merc dealership has quoted me the same numbers as I ordered so I'm pretty sure I'm out of luck... They quoted me $4096!
Did you get a fuel sender with the black part like in this pic and your car does not have a connector to plug into it?

This might be for something for certain markets because I noticed the first post has a sender unit that has nothing there. Maybe leaving it unplugged will not affect anything.

Can you post a picture of your pumps and the hoses with connectors so we can see what you're talking about?
Old 08-11-2015, 11:36 AM
Banned

Partial Zero Emission Vehicle is the key word of the day.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:38 PM

04 E55
This isn't an electrical issue, it is a fuel plumbing one. Two different fuel filters, characterised by the different tops. The style of filter i have has the single connector, which is fine. These filters have small white fuel line connectors.

The other fuel filter that is used by Denroll and bbirdwell among others has the second electrical connector. I understand they can't be used in place of one another. This fuel filter has large black fuel line connectors.

Those two filters are different parts, to fit the cars which have different electrical connections, among other things.

Only one fuel pump assembly is now available 211 470 00 00. All other models are no longer made. This newest pump only accepts the black fuel connectors. Below are the links to the three parts. Pay particular attention to the fuel lines on the filters to see the difference.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Site...094/ES1762203/ My fuel filter
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Site...494/ES2820362/ Two electrical connector style with black connectors
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Site...000/ES2799378/ Newest and only available pump from Mercedes. Notice where the fuel lines connect they are long and thin. Requires the black connectors.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Denroll
Did you get a fuel sender with the black part like in this pic and your car does not have a connector to plug into it?

This might be for something for certain markets because I noticed the first post has a sender unit that has nothing there. Maybe leaving it unplugged will not affect anything.

Can you post a picture of your pumps and the hoses with connectors so we can see what you're talking about?
In your picture you're showing the unit for PZEV. The black part with connector is the fuel level sensor. Non PZEV have that sensor of course too but is embedded inside the housing and is not replaceable like this one can.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:15 PM

04 E55

In my hand is the small connectors I'm talking about. You can also see the small inset that it seats in.

The new pump has an external connector. These style only work with the two electrical connector filters.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:19 PM

04 E55

Screen shot of bbirdwells new black connectors that mount over the point. Is that s bit clearer what I'm talking about now?
Old 08-12-2015, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 983 Likes on 765 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Part number 211-470-64-94 Fuel Pump Assembly (actually filter and regulator) is the new part number and is fitted with the two each snap-on black fuel line connectors (female) that press onto the 211-470-00-00 Fuel Sending Unit (fuel pumps) fittings (male). The gender of the connectors changed between the old and new.

Possible solution...would anyone on this board have pulled the above part (470-64-94) out of their car when installing another replacement? If so, cut the lines to remove the black female connectors, place in envelope, and mail to Australia. Then you remove your old connectors after cutting the hose clamps, insert the black connectors, then hose clamp in place.

Another possible solution is to search hydraulic web sites to find that particular connector.

I'm brainstorming here....

Something along the line of a Dorman 90-degree fuel line connector?

Last edited by bbirdwell; 08-12-2015 at 12:06 PM. Reason: possible lead...
Old 08-12-2015, 12:37 PM
Banned

Why do you keep telling people that there is only one part available anymore? MB has both versions in stock and you can't simply swap the older or non PZEV one with the newer or PZEV unit. I have a non PZEV vehicle and had the fuel leak issue and did not get the faulty part replaced with the wrong part. Maybe some parts managers and/or SA have to do a more thorough job when they order parts.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55
I have my old fuel sender assembly still sitting in my garage. It has the black connectors and only has about 20k miles on it. Might make a good temporary fix for now.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
@ sexyxe, can you not exchange the incorrect pumps for the correct pumps? I ask not knowing if this was a special-order part with no refunds or exchanges permitted.

Since you just replaced the fuel filter, if you’re trying to just get the car back on the road, have you considered pulling the old pumps out of the tank, cleaning the inlet screens, and reinserting the pumps into the tank? This would get you back on the road until you receive the exchanged pumps.

Also, before you do that, close up the tank, fire up the car, and measure the fuel pressure on the fuel rail. If you’re around 5.4 bar, consider running it until you get the pump situation sorted out.

Again, just throwing ideas out there.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:56 PM
Banned

Sexyxe what part number(s) do you need? List them here and I'll check for you.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:24 PM

04 E55
2114701794 is what is needed.

It is still available, as there is old stock, parts that never sold.

Since replaced by 2114700000, which my Mercedes dealer can't order or know of.

I have got the parts through ECS, they don't list the older part, as they weren't aware that there was an issue with the two fuel filters fitting up. But I've now managed to get the old one and am organising for it to be sent. I have fitted the new filter, as that was leaking badly, car is on the road, but having an old set of pumps in there isn't really making me comfortable.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:28 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
@ sexyxe, can you not exchange the incorrect pumps for the correct pumps? I ask not knowing if this was a special-order part with no refunds or exchanges permitted.

Since you just replaced the fuel filter, if you’re trying to just get the car back on the road, have you considered pulling the old pumps out of the tank, cleaning the inlet screens, and reinserting the pumps into the tank? This would get you back on the road until you receive the exchanged pumps.

Also, before you do that, close up the tank, fire up the car, and measure the fuel pressure on the fuel rail. If you’re around 5.4 bar, consider running it until you get the pump situation sorted out.

Again, just throwing ideas out there.
Yeah, that's essentially what I have done. I'll measure the fuel pressure and guess I'll go from there. Cheers for the idea and possible part name for the connector. That's sort of what I'm thinking of doing if it becomes too much of a **** fight (which it is quickly becoming).

Last edited by sexyxe; 08-12-2015 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:42 AM
Banned

2114701794 is what is needed.

It is still available, as there is old stock, parts that never sold.

Since replaced by 2114700000, which my Mercedes dealer can't order or know of.

I have got the parts through ECS, they don't list the older part, as they weren't aware that there was an issue with the two fuel filters fitting up. But I've now managed to get the old one and am organising for it to be sent. I have fitted the new filter, as that was leaking badly, car is on the road, but having an old set of pumps in there isn't really making me comfortable.
PM sent to you.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:49 AM

04 E55
Finishing this one off for good.

The new fuel pumps/RHS unit arrived and was fitted 211 470 17 94 which is the required fuel pump for the single electrical connector style fuel filter/sender unit/LHS piece. This is a small white 'vertical' connector.

Do not be confused by the newer pumps which have apparently superseded this one, but wont work with it.

Since throwing the new pump and filter the car is a new beast. I thought the filter was the limiting factor here, but it was just one link as the pumps were obviously tired as one of the pins was burnt fairly well. I took the car out and it blows my mind. I have been driving a 94 Land Rover Discovery for 4k km, but this is mind blowing. It is a different car and is impressing me. So glad this has been fixed and I'm getting to be behind the wheel again.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55
Right on. Glad to hear it. Do a burnout and take pics.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Most excellent news!
Old 09-11-2015, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 82 Posts
2004 E55 AMG, 2006 CLS63, 2004 ML55, 2014 E350 sport
Interesting thread.

So if I wanted to order the cheap airtex fuel pump setup from rockauto all I need to do is pop the covers and check the hose connectors look compatible and go for it?
Old 10-05-2015, 04:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W211 E55 AMG
This is truly stupid, I have the old style pumps and sender with only one connector each side. I received the new style pumps and sender with a replaceable sensor on top (2 connector style) along with a relay harness, two connectors, one for each side as the new pumps have different connectors. These are the only pumps I can get ahold of from the dealer. There is no place to plug in the new sensor level connector. I have removed the entire interior in the back and trunk looking for it.

Old part # fuel pumps(211 470 17 94) and sending unit (211 470 17 41)

What part numbers is the most updated ones for the old style sending unit and pumps?
Old 10-05-2015, 04:59 AM

04 E55
Welcome to the **** pain I went through.

You'll have to order from either pelicanparts or ECS, or any other site you choose. But, like me, the dealer here wasn't able to 'back order' old parts. As a result they give you the wrong stuff. You will need to find the part numbers (go back one page and I list the ones that I used), and google them. Ensure every thing about the pumps is the same. The electrical connectors, and the fuel lines.

Mackhack mentioned that there are new pumps around that still fit our fuel filters, but they are new in the sense that they never got sold, but are a version old.

Good luck, but I'd be taking a guess that the pumps you bought will be going back!
Old 11-15-2015, 08:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W211 E55 AMG
Welcome to the **** pain I went through.

You'll have to order from either pelicanparts or ECS, or any other site you choose. But, like me, the dealer here wasn't able to 'back order' old parts. As a result they give you the wrong stuff. You will need to find the part numbers (go back one page and I list the ones that I used), and google them. Ensure every thing about the pumps is the same. The electrical connectors, and the fuel lines.

Mackhack mentioned that there are new pumps around that still fit our fuel filters, but they are new in the sense that they never got sold, but are a version old.

Good luck, but I'd be taking a guess that the pumps you bought will be going back!
I let the dealer figure it out and they managed to use the new pumps and not connecting that external level sensor at all. The car runs awsome and it feels like I gained 50hp from this as the fuel filters were so bad. Responsivness is fantastic and she keeps pulling like a freight train.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
I am in the same boat, I'm about to purchase the fuel pump and sending unit both sides for my 05 E55 from ebay. its like 1079 bucks for the pair. So, How do I know which one to order?

Im worried I might get the wrong pumps and will run into issues. Can anyone advise which ones to get for 05 E55?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump and filter assembly replacements