Sponsored by:

W211 Won't Crank

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 08:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
W211 Won't Crank

Hi guys, figured I would try in here as the W211 AMG forum seems incredibly knowledgable.

I have a 2005 W211 E500 4-Matic at the moment that will not crank.

The story behind it is this...

The car was purchased and the airmatic was having issues (the pump was going bad) - the so called mechanic thought it was something else, started jumping wires, when he jumped the airmatic compressor wire, it sparked and the car would not start anymore (the car ran perfectly fine before this).

I scanned the car with STAR.

Everything seems to communicate fine, but I get absolutely no communication with the ESM (Electronic Shift Module) and no communication with the LCP (Lower Control Panel - where the airmatic buttons are)

When I am in the "drive authorization" screen, I get:

EZS: Turn enable issued YES
ESL Start Enable YES
ME Motor electronics: start enable NO

When I am in "Check output of circuit 50" screen and the key is in the "crank" position, I get:

Status of the relevant actual values:

Output 'Circuit 50': ON
Output Terminal 50: OFF

Specified Values

Output 'Circuit 50': ON
Output Terminal 50: ON

So it seems as though something is not giving the "OK" to allow the car to start.. An idea would be that since there is no communication with the ESM (Electronic Shift Module), the car does not know what key it is in, therefore not allowing the car to crank.

I am trying to figure out what could cause the non-communication with the ESM and LCP.

Anyone have any ideas or input on this? Maybe what I can check, or what they both have in common?
Old 07-01-2015, 07:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
Check all fuses then unhook both neg cables to battery's overnight to reset .
Old 07-01-2015, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Sold - 05' E55
Originally Posted by Ls1toAMG
Check all fuses then unhook both neg cables to battery's overnight to reset .
^ This first.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 71 Posts
E55
interesting that the ESL is giving a "yes" for start enable but at the same time you can't communicate with it. ME says no start enable so hopefully that thing didn't get zapped.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:54 AM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Rocman8
interesting that the ESL is giving a "yes" for start enable but at the same time you can't communicate with it. ME says no start enable so hopefully that thing didn't get zapped.
Hopefully not, I'm hoping it's a fuse.

I have checked most of them, I'll go through again.

The ESM lights up, but I can't connect to it through STAR and I can't connect to the Control Panel that controls the Airmatic either.

I'm assuming they have something in common, maybe a fuse or relay, or a SAM.

The wire he zapped, I'm 99% sure it was the wire to the airmatic compressor, coming out of the front SAM.

But I communicate with the front SAM fine and I found 0 codes or errors.

So my next step is to check everything again under the passenger side carpet.

Anyone have any other ideas?
Old 07-01-2015, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by cwmateiuc

Anyone have any other ideas?
Not for getting the car fixed. Now, stringing up your mechanic, I've got some ideas about that.
One thing I've learned from other people's misfortunes here; when dealing with electrics on this car, you go by the book. No shortcuts.

I admire your (perceived) attitude towards the mechanic.

You seem to know your way around STAR, hopefully you'll get it diagnosed.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:37 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by uraberg
Not for getting the car fixed. Now, stringing up your mechanic, I've got some ideas about that.
One thing I've learned from other people's misfortunes here; when dealing with electrics on this car, you go by the book. No shortcuts.

I admire your (perceived) attitude towards the mechanic.

You seem to know your way around STAR, hopefully you'll get it diagnosed.
Haha thanks.

I'm trying! It's a paper weight sitting in my driveway.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:23 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Update: I found the LCP became disconnected, I connected it and it seems to communicate.

Okay, so the car will not communicate with the ESM. The car is in park, but the computer doesn't recognize that it is.

It also doesn't seem to want to connect to the transmission, but that could be my misuse.

I can communicate fine with every SAM, the shifter connects to the passenger SAM, and it won't connect!

Also, if you look at the pictures immobilized is enabled and start enable is set to NO.

So my guess is that either the shifter is bad, or the passenger side SAM is bad. I can't think of anything else.

I think I literally read every value the car is producing in the last two hours.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 936 Likes on 728 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
FWIW, two of your screens share a common potential fault, Circuit 87.

Fuse F63 (15A) in the front SAM, and the circuit 87 relay (N10/1kI) may be at issue.

Additionally, control module N51 (Airmatic with ADS control module) has a "terminal 87" voltage test. Relay N10/1kI is the terminal 87 relay.

Edit:
Without having the schematics at hand, could the compressor A9/1 be on the same circuit as the control module N51 which has a test for voltage at terminal 87 which is powered by the terminal 87 relay?

Note: Module N51 trouble-shooting step also shows N10/1f45 (fuse 45 in front SAM) as a voltage supply.

Last edited by bbirdwell; 07-02-2015 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:29 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Thanks for the help

I just tested resistance on every relay and tested every fuse in the car, everything is good.

I'm suspecting it's the passenger SAM that got fried.

Also, do you happen to know where this connector goes?

I'm pretty sure that's the wire he jumped that is causing the problems.<br/><br/>The red is hot, the brown shows nothing and neither does the pink.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:56 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Okay, so it seems as though the red wire I pictured above, goes directly to the passenger SAM and it is not protected by a fuse.

So I now need to find out which SAM controls what is not working (ESM) and replace it, as it would most likely be the passenger or driver (under the hood) SAM, since the wire that was jumped goes direct to both.

My guess is that the passenger side SAM needs to be replaced.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 71 Posts
E55
Thanks for the help

I just tested resistance on every relay and tested every fuse in the car, everything is good.

I'm suspecting it's the passenger SAM that got fried.

Also, do you happen to know where this connector goes?

I'm pretty sure that's the wire he jumped that is causing the problems.<br/><br/>The red is hot, the brown shows nothing and neither does the pink.
i thought those wires just went to the wiper motor
Old 07-10-2015, 09:30 AM

2006 E55 AMG
UPDATE:

I replaced the passenger SAM, still won't start.

On the dash, when the key is in the running position, it does not show which gear the car is in. Any ideas?
Old 06-21-2016, 10:08 AM

2006 E55 AMG
Update:

AirMatic computer was faulty and clogging the CAN network. Replaced with a working one and the car starts and runs great.
The following users liked this post:
bbirdwell (06-21-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 04:49 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
W211 E55 2003
Update:

AirMatic computer was faulty and clogging the CAN network. Replaced with a working one and the car starts and runs great.
How did you figure that out?

So the control module for airmatic was changed?
Old 06-22-2016, 04:51 PM

2006 E55 AMG
It was narrowed down by disconnecting modules from the CAN system one by one until the car was able to start.

I replaced the airmatic computer and haven't had an issue since.
The following users liked this post:
Elhonaz (06-23-2016)
Old 01-10-2019, 07:38 PM

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
07' E63
Since I have replaced my Airmatic Compressor and relay, I seem to be having issues with Airmatic "retaining" the "Startup Settings" I have programmed in "Suspension Airmatic Setting for ride height. I have to manually login to STAR/Xentry to Suspension/Actuations/Automaticall Suspension Adjustment IIRC? Once there it shows how low in mm the FR/FL & Rear is and then I press F3 and the Airmatic inflates and I'm good to go, that is, until the next day when upon startup the car DOESN'T calibrate by itself as it should???

I'm not sure if this pertains to my issue, but when using Xentry/Chassis/Suspension/Voltages-it shows N51 (Airmatic w/ADS) Terminal 30 as having 14v with car running, however below it shows Terminal 87 as having no Voltage? I'm wondering if this might be the reason for Airmatic Control Module NOT Remembering its Settings?

Bear in mind I've spent the last year rebuilding this "new to me" awesome ride and haven't even put so much as 100 miles on the car yet as I've had a hell of a time trying to get the car aligned properly. Without being able to retain Height Settings coupled with my car still pulling right, even after rebuilding thee entire front suspension that pulled right beforehand, it's been pretty frustrating!!! I don't really want to ruin these new tires due to the pull to the right, but first things first, I do need to figure out this ride height issue. The Compressor fills up the shocks on demand in Xentry, but doesn't self correct as it should???
Old 01-11-2019, 08:54 PM
RPB

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Update:

Nice! I’d recommend you avoid that mechanic from here on out.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
Originally Posted by E63007
Since I have replaced my Airmatic Compressor and relay, I seem to be having issues with Airmatic "retaining" the "Startup Settings" I have programmed in "Suspension Airmatic Setting for ride height. I have to manually login to STAR/Xentry to Suspension/Actuations/Automaticall Suspension Adjustment IIRC? Once there it shows how low in mm the FR/FL & Rear is and then I press F3 and the Airmatic inflates and I'm good to go, that is, until the next day when upon startup the car DOESN'T calibrate by itself as it should???

I'm not sure if this pertains to my issue, but when using Xentry/Chassis/Suspension/Voltages-it shows N51 (Airmatic w/ADS) Terminal 30 as having 14v with car running, however below it shows Terminal 87 as having no Voltage? I'm wondering if this might be the reason for Airmatic Control Module NOT Remembering its Settings?

Bear in mind I've spent the last year rebuilding this "new to me" awesome ride and haven't even put so much as 100 miles on the car yet as I've had a hell of a time trying to get the car aligned properly. Without being able to retain Height Settings coupled with my car still pulling right, even after rebuilding thee entire front suspension that pulled right beforehand, it's been pretty frustrating!!! I don't really want to ruin these new tires due to the pull to the right, but first things first, I do need to figure out this ride height issue. The Compressor fills up the shocks on demand in Xentry, but doesn't self correct as it should???
Your problem has nothing to do with what this thread is about.