W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Method for Upgrading to Active Curve Illumination/Curve-Sensing Bi-Xenon Headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 03:26 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW M5, Porsche 911, Mercedes-Benz E55
Method for Upgrading to Active Curve Illumination/Curve-Sensing Bi-Xenon Headlights

My sources tell me that those of you who wish to upgrade from standard 319 non-directional Bi-Xenons to the 339 Active Curve Illumination/Curve-Sensing Bi-Xenon units. Here's the necessary steps:

a) Purchase two new headlights:
Left Headlight -- Part No. A211 820 2361 Retail $995
Right Headlight -- Part No. A211 820 2461 Retail $995

b) Re-program/Re-code the HRA module

c) Re-Program/Re-code Left Front SAM module

d) Re-Program/Re-code Right Front SAM module

The labor to do everything should be 2-3 hours. This recoding happens via the "Star Diagnose" system, which is the only way that the functionality for the cornering feature can be be turned on. The HRA module and both SAM modules already have this function built into their respective architectures -- it's simply a matter of "activating" this function so that it's no longer dormant.

Last edited by Symbolic; 02-04-2004 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Non-Xenon upgrade...

Can I still upgrade if I have the halogen lamps? Are there extra sensors to buy?

Thanks,
Chris

'04 E55K
'03 SL 500
Old 02-04-2004, 05:26 PM
Almost a Member!

Re: Non-Xenon upgrade...

Originally posted by onesixeight
Can I still upgrade if I have the halogen lamps? Are there extra sensors to buy?
I'm sure that would be a far more involved case (i.e. you'd have to purchase xenon ballasts, etc.).
Old 02-04-2004, 05:34 PM

Symbolic...

Steve from the Netherlands who has done many halogen w211 to bi-xenon says it's a plug and play deal except for the reprograming. I wonder if it's the same for a w211 halogen to active curve xenons?

How does the headlights know when to turn? Does it have sensors on the steering rack or suspension...? Or, is it on the headlight assemblies themselves?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 02-04-2004, 06:26 PM
Almost a Member!

How does the headlights know when to turn? Does it have sensors on the steering rack or suspension...? Or, is it on the headlight assemblies themselves?
According to Steve from The Netherlands ("Steve MBenzNL"), the ESP ring (which sits on the steering column just behind the steering wheel), is the sensor for the curving/directional feature of these headlights. Apparently, ALL W211 models are fitted from new with this ESP ring. These Active Curve Illumination/Curve-Sensing headlights only move a maximum of 12 degrees.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by Symbolic
According to Steve from The Netherlands ("Steve MBenzNL"), the ESP ring (which sits on the steering column just behind the steering wheel), is the sensor for the curving/directional feature of these headlights. Apparently, ALL W211 models are fitted from new with this ESP ring. These Active Curve Illumination/Curve-Sensing headlights only move a maximum of 12 degrees.
Oh...cool! Did you already do the upgrade? Any improvement? Are the prices quoted from Steve, or are they just the list price?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 02-04-2004, 08:17 PM
Almost a Member!

Did you already do the upgrade? Any improvement? Are the prices quoted from Steve, or are they just the list price?
My car has just been built and should (hopefully) arrive at the dealership within 30 days. Luckily, they now have the headlights in their possession. The price that I quoted is the Mercedes Benz USA retail price.

The reason that my car was not built with Option Code 339 directional bi-xenons is due to the fact that my order was frozen in early-November 2003, just days before Option Code 339 appeared on the MBUSA Net Star system on approximately November 20th, 2003. My car was supposed to have been produced about three months ago. However, it was endlessly delayed due to the one-off Designo features (that aren't part of the normal MBUSA Designo palette) that I was able to have included on my car (after much persuasion).
Old 02-04-2004, 08:25 PM

04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
The dealer should upgrade your lights if you have a 2004 W211? I assume they would from a customer service perspective since they are a 04 option that was delayed and 04 cars are now getting them.

I spoke to my service manager and he informed me that the dealer should be able to upgrade my lights either free or at a nominal fee once he get the parts in. He also told me that it would be poor customer service not to upgrade the lights when the same vechile 1 month later has it.

Hope that helps
Old 02-04-2004, 08:37 PM

Very nice...Are you picking up the lights from your dealer or Steve? Any ideas on Steve's price for the active corner lights?

-Chris

My car has just been built and should (hopefully) arrive at the dealership within 30 days. Luckily, they now have the headlights in their possession. The price that I quoted is the Mercedes Benz USA retail price.

The reason that my car was not built with Option Code 339 directional bi-xenons is due to the fact that my order was frozen in early-November 2003, just days before Option Code 339 appeared on the MBUSA Net Star system on approximately November 20th, 2003. My car was supposed to have been produced about three months ago. However, it was endlessly delayed due to the one-off Designo features (that aren't part of the normal MBUSA Designo palette) that I was able to have included on my car (after much persuasion).
Old 02-04-2004, 08:50 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally posted by 04E55 AMG
The dealer should upgrade your lights if you have a 2004 W211? I assume they would from a customer service perspective since they are a 04 option that was delayed and 04 cars are now getting them.

I spoke to my service manager and he informed me that the dealer should be able to upgrade my lights either free or at a nominal fee once he get the parts in. He also told me that it would be poor customer service not to upgrade the lights when the same vechile 1 month later has it.
My dealer has been helpful (although it's because of my own persistent research that I'm so well versed on the topic). Despite my dealer's nice attitude, they have not yet offered to contribute anything towards the update cost. I wholeheartedly agree with you that from a pure customer service perspective, MBUSA should pick up the entire tab especially in light of the fact that the Bi-Xenons were supposed to be of the Active Curve Illumination/Curve-Sensing variety from the advent of Model Year 2004 in the U.S. market.

Please let me know the name of your rather "helpful" dealer.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:56 PM

I know my dealer won't take contribute to the update cost...They're stance is buy it or leave it and wait till it's available. Since Fletcher's took over the Honolulu dealership, the customer service has been out the window.

My dealer has been helpful (although it's because of my own persistent research that I'm so well versed on the topic). Despite my dealer's nice attitude, they have not yet offered to contribute anything towards the update cost. I wholeheartedly agree with you that from a pure customer service perspective, MBUSA should pick up the entire tab especially in light of the fact that the Bi-Xenons were supposed to be of the Active Curve Illumination/Curve-Sensing variety from the advent of Model Year 2004 in the U.S. market.

Please let me know the name of your rather "helpful" dealer.